CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from the UK

5 posters

Go down

Hello from the UK Empty Hello from the UK

Post by DaisyDoll 14th June 2010, 8:08 am

Hello,

To Everyone in the USA with Curly Hair. I have just decided not to try to have straight hair anymore i came across this brilliant site which fantastic as i have no idea what to do with my hair. I live in London now but im actually from a small town and everyone is white and hairdressers have no clue what to do with my hair! I am mixed race White Itallian/Norweigen Jewish/Black Dominican.

I have never known what to do with my hair! My mother would comb it out as a child or braid it with beads or just tie it back, AND THE COMBING HURT! I would always ask my mum why doesnt my hair move like the other girls hair? I used to try everything wet it with gel, i tried to crimp it i begged for a fringe (big mistake, smooth for five mins a tuft for a year).
I have all the names my favorites Gorrilla and pube head, for "friends". Despite this i had a healthy head of waist length hair, which i always wanted to hide. When i was about 15, my nan took me to a local hairdresser who said they could make my hair straight by giving me a reverse perm, but i ended up with a half limp half frizzy mess, and when i say left i was left in a chair for an hour while the stylists tryed to work out what to do with me and told me but it worked on the last woman we did!
Anyway "frizz head" again, until i was 17 and i found somone who braid, i had synthetic hair braided into my own thick hair,i continued this for around two years until my hair was not so thick anymore and it was time to stop! my parents tell me now that they were so worried i would have no hair left. Then when i was around 20 i discovered relaxer! i had the top of my head relaxed at first with weave of human hair (my hair braided underneath) how ridiculus when i have my own hair! I even had blonde once and i looked a fool and did it itch! Eventually i decided to give this up and relax my whole head at this point i had bra strap length hair which for some reason i decied to cut so it would grow? And of course it has never done its past my shoulders but i doubt it will ever grow the bum length i always dreamed of. I think i must have one relaxer and maybe 4 touch ups since i was 20, which i dont think is to bad.But i have dyed my hair maybe 5 times not good(highlights, all over). I can cotrol my hair without realaxer by wash and blowdry and the straightning with ghds myself.This is however very time consuming and will curl! Which as i have got older i dont mind. I would straighten and use clip ins for lenghth and i would get a white look.
I would do this less and less but would still blow dry and iron, but the leave to go curly/wavey, i admit i like this look alot more than very small ringlets i have when i wash my hair.

However i am now trying to embrace my Natural hair as i would like some left in my older years, and i would love to grow it to be healthy, i have been very bad to it for ten years! I feel i am now back to square one! I have no idea how to style or care for natural hair. I always end up looking like i have a wet perm of i have greasy curls i do not look good.
I have not actually had my hair relaxed for 3 years so the relaxer must be on its way out? plus i have cuts. I in no way will ever cut all my hair off i could never! im still learning to except my hair as it was given to me. I need HELP! style and manage so i can stop thinking everyone is LOOKING AT ME and thinking oh my god look at her hair its so ugly! i really would like to stop accociating straight hair with being beautiful myself. I do see other women with curly beautiful hair and think they look great, but i cant seem to think that about myself yet. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Anyway any advice would be lovely

Kind Regards
Miss Daisy
DaisyDoll
DaisyDoll

Back to top Go down

Hello from the UK Empty Re: Hello from the UK

Post by HappyCurly 20th June 2010, 12:23 am

good luck!

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 20th June 2010, 6:34 pm

Well Hello and Welcome. I would start with not blow drying and flat ironing as much as you do now. Purchase some rollers and learn to roller set your hair. Even wrapping your hair at night can give it a straighter look after it dries. Herbal essences is a great shampoo and condit- and you can look into some moisturizing products to see which works best for you. Oils may not be the best thing for your hair, or at least not oiling daily, maybe once after you wash.

If there's any other help you need just ask. Good luck on your journey. Smile
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by tandypink 20th June 2010, 7:49 pm

Welcome and good luck. To me, at first I thought going natural would mean not looking good, but I have seen so many natural hairstyles on youtube and some other sites that I have totally be super encouraged. There are a lot of sites that help with managing and styling your natural hair including curlynikki of course. If you have have questions, you can always ask. Once again, welcome.
tandypink
tandypink

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 23rd June 2010, 3:16 pm

Welcome and I'm glad you decided to embrace the curls that were uniquely made for you. You probably could benefit from deep conditioning and depending on how weak your hair is also consider protein treatments. You should only comb your hair when it is wet with product(conditioner=easy detangling) and definitely stay away from direct heat such as curling/flat irons, blowdryers and hot rollers. It seems you've done alot of manipulation and your hair deserves plenty of TLC. Consider trying henna or cassia for conditioning treatments. Henna provides a reddish tint to your strands while cassia doesn't alter your natural or current color.

The key to reviving your curls is moisture, moisture and moisture. Cowash instead of using harsh shampoos with sulfates and befriend leave-in conditioners like Giovanni Direct Leave-in or something simple and natural like aloe vera gel. Finally to seal the moisture in your hair use natural butters and oils like: EVOO, EVCO, shea, almond, jojoba and plenty others. HTH
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum