CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The third time is the charm!!!

+14
Cnicoles6
poeticlyspkng
Lynnieluve
Juices-n-Berries
KinkyNappyHappy
newcurlieque
WhosThatRedHead
CocoEuro
DvaAuNaturel
NubieNatty
CurlsGalore
krazy coils
mrsmackey
DEE DUBB
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The third time is the charm!!! Empty The third time is the charm!!!

Post by DEE DUBB 11th June 2010, 5:27 pm

Hello!

Ok, first, I must admit that I am addicted to this site already, after 2 days. I wish that I would have had such resources available when I transitioned the first time. And, here is my story...

I BC'd by accident in 2001 when I got a really bad haircut. I did not like my texture, and everyone told me that I looked like a boy and that I did not have the head for that type of haircut. So, I texturized, which I really liked, but then my hair grew out every 2 weeks, so I had to texturize it pretty often. Anyway, I got microbraids and my hair grew out like crazy, and then I relaxed it!!!

So, in 2008, I transitioned successfully for four months. Then, I texturized because my hair was falling out b/c I flat ironed it everyday. I went back to the relaxer.

So, this is the third time. I am four months in. This time, I am transitioning with a partial sew-in (perimeter is out). I don't flat iron the "leave out" very often, maybe once per week, and I spray leave in conditioner on my hair and tie it down with a scarf (this flattens it out).

My hair is extremely thick, even with a relaxer. I used to relax my hair every four weeks when I lived in humidity-hell Louisiana. And, luckily, my hair did not fall out. It was not until I started working out four times per week, and flat ironing and blow drying four times per week, that my hair started breaking like crazy.

I plan to transition for 6-9 months and BC; although, I am really excited to BC now. My "kitchen" is totally natural (except for a few straggling relaxed pieces), as you can see in my avi. I've been taking your tips to heart. I bought some Hawaiian silky 14 in 1 and it defined my dull afro into a bevy of curls.

Ok, I'm talking too much. I look forward to everyone's tips and encouragement!!!

bounce bounce bounce
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

The third time is the charm!!! Empty Re: The third time is the charm!!!

Post by mrsmackey 11th June 2010, 6:38 pm

Hey Dee!!! welcome to Curl Street! I'm a transitioner as well, almost 6 months in and I plan to BC around December...

Enjoy yourself here!!!!
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 11th June 2010, 6:45 pm

Thanks, Mrs. Mackey, so you are planning on transitioning for one year? How are you dealing with the two textures?
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 11th June 2010, 6:58 pm

i plan to transition for a while...at least, that's how I feel today...but the two textures are fine as long as you're not styling when your hair is dry and you keep moisture levels UP!!!!!!!!!! LOL
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 11th June 2010, 7:12 pm

Hey Dee Dub, welcom to Curl Street!
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 12th June 2010, 12:33 pm

Welcome to CS! You're going to make it natural on your 3rd time around! Stick around here and you'll see! Smile
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 12th June 2010, 3:41 pm

congrats!! cuz i know how important it is to have support. i failed my first attempt cuz i didnt have knowledge and had no idea how to do anything it was hard. this time around it was easier becuz i had support n love from these lovely cn sisters and i did extensive research on products n styles.

look forward to ur progress and plenty of pics...WELCOME!!!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 12th June 2010, 6:58 pm

Hey DeeDub,

Welcome, welcome, welcome. I've been natural a couple of times before also. Completely no chems the first time around in the late 90's, then again a few years back but was blowing my hair out alot and not this time I completely BC'd. The third time's the charm.

Good luck! I'll be looking forward to following your progress.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 16th June 2010, 10:54 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Well, I have decided NOT to flat iron any of my hair, and instead, I comb the leave out back and secure it with a headband. It's been working for about a week. Also, I bought some wild growth oil to spray on my hair for moisture and I spray Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 on my leave out and put some ecostyler (olive oil) on the leave out at the top to smooth it down. SO FAR, SO GOOD!

I have decided to BC on September 7! I set an appointment already. I want to do it earlier, and take this weave out asap, but I spent too much money on the hair and sew in to do it this early. Plus, I am in a wedding in the beginning of September and the bride wants us to wear buns Sad

So, countdown to the BC! And, I am trying products on my all natural "kitchen" to see how my natural hair responds.

The third time is the charm!!! Event
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 16th June 2010, 12:21 pm

Alrighty!!! September 7th, it is! You know we are going stay on you and make sure you see it through! You have all the support you need! I'm so excited for you!!!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 16th June 2010, 12:23 pm

Thank you Curls Galore!!! I am excited too, I wish I could cut it now!

How did you deal with your short hair and the cold weather? When I BC, it will be moving into fall, so a wash and go might not be the best thing when it gets colder?
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 16th June 2010, 12:40 pm

By the time it got cold, I was about 4-5 months in. Moisture was the key. The air is usually very dry during the cold months, so you need to stick with water-based moisturizers, heavy cremes, and a sealant.

Shea butter is a good sealent or even castor oil. I used both to twist my hair and seal my ends. It's not a moisturizer. Moisturizers contain water-based ingredients and oils to seal in moisture.

Many curlies swear by protective styling, like twists or buns, to protect their ends. I wore my hair out a lot in the winter and no harm done. Once you BC and see your true texture then it will become more evident to you what products to use and what may work. That's the trial and error thing we love so much! Smile
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 16th June 2010, 12:50 pm

ok! 3rd time is a charm!!! You'll get it!!!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 20th June 2010, 3:40 pm

I keep changing my mind!!! But, I am going to BC on July 16. I set the appointment already. This will be after 5 months of transitioning and only 6 weeks of wearing this sew-in. The sew-in is driving me crazy! It is itching so badly, I think, because it is so hot outside this time around. I will have about 6 weeks to learn my hair prior to the wedding, so I should have a nice style for the wedding and some growth, possibly...

I made this decision because (1) this sew-in is itching like crazy, (2) my new texture is beautiful, especially with the new products and routine that I have going, and (3) I am just ready to do it, no more lingering. I read the "journey to natural" series on this website last week, and I made up my mind.

Several people have tried to discourage me this week (mom, DH, MIL), but several people have also encouraged me. One of my good friends said she'd even do some twistouts and braidouts for me.

So, countdown to the BC, 4 weeks!!!
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 20th June 2010, 4:51 pm

You sound so excited about your BC! That's makes me excited for you. I've only been on this site for like 2 days and I'm like you in that I wished I had found it sooner. Making your appointment for your BC is a big step....don't forget to post picks after it's done!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 25th June 2010, 11:47 am

Captain's LOG STAR DATE 6/25/2010... It is approximately 3 weeks before my BC! The third time is the charm!!! Affraid

I am getting a bit more anxious now... I have become a PJ already, and I haven't even BC'd yet! Within the past week, I've hit up the Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, Walgreens and a West Indian food store and purchased the following: Glycerin, JBCO, HE HH, EVCO, Jojoba Oil, 2 containers of AVG (one was liquid by Aubrey Organics and one was a gel by GNC), and Shea Butter. I made some Ecocustard too, LOL.

I've been viewing Kimmaytube and LadyKPNYC on youtube.

I think I am little obsessed, and I still have a head full of weave!

I am trying out the products on my new growth, but I cannot reach the braids under my weave because my weave has a net, and I cannot quite reach my scalp. I've been using a long-nosed coloring bottle to apply JBCO/EVCO/Jojoba oil to my scalp (or the parts of my scalp that I can reach under my net, since it is itching like crazy! But, that's the only thing I can do to 90% of my new growth, since it is sewn-in.

I haven't officially used heat in 2 weeks, YEAH!!! And, I don't appear to have any heat damage.

Also, I've been a little anxious about what my hair going to look like. I put straight ecostyler on my new growth in the corner (above my ear), and it curled up. So, that is promising. But I am freaking out about what I am going to do for the BC appointment. My stylist, who has been trying to urge me to go natural for the last 3 years, does a lot of natural hair. She uses shampoos with sulfates and conditioners with cones. I am going to bring my own products to ensure optimal moisture for the BC.

So, questions--I will have a LOT of buildup on my scalp (especially the braids under the sew in) when I take the weave out. 90% of my new growth has been covered by weave for the past 4-5 months with absolutely NO manipulation. I am going to have the weave taken out and the BC done on the same day, so I won't miss the length.

(1) Do I need a sulfate-laden shampoo to clean up the mess? Do I need a clarifying shampoo?
(2) Can I use a sulfate-laden shampoo to clean up the mess and then do an intense deep conditioning session with a cone-free conditioner (by intense, I mean sitting under the dryer for 45 minutes with a shower cap and conditioner).

(3) Should I use Giovanni Smooth as Silk to shampoo (no sulfates)? Will it cleanse my scalp and new growth enough?

Thank you all for your support!!! The third time is the charm!!! 617583
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by newcurlieque 25th June 2010, 12:04 pm

Hi Dee

I don't think you need a sulfate shampoo to "clean the mess" lol. Since your hair has been put away I wouldn't suggest just cowashing. A sulfate free cleanser will do the trick without stripping. You definitely should do the deep condish.
newcurlieque
newcurlieque

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 25th June 2010, 12:10 pm

Thanks Curlieque! And, also Whos that Red Head!!!
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by DEE DUBB 28th June 2010, 11:16 am

Ok, y'all are going to think that I am indecisive, LOL, but I am BC-ing earlier, yet again. I am going to do it this Friday morning b/c my DH is getting tired of me talking about it so much. He was like, "what is the difference in waiting two more weeks." I was like, well, I have to wait for my Qhemet and Bee Mine samples to come in!

Anyway, my Bee Mine should be here by Wednesday. I am obsessed with finding a quality moisturizer. And I've heard great things about Qhemet and Bee Mine... Also, I got some Shea Moisture milk this weekend.

I broke down and bought some KCCC and KT. I used it, and it really didnt work. I think it is because my hair needs to be cleaned (with a clarifying shampoo). I haven't shampooed in several weeks. I've been cowashing every 3 days, but no shampoo. So, I need to get one that is sulfate free b/c I still want to try out this KCCC and KT before I chop!

I hate the fact that I cannot get to my scalp and hair with this sew in. I also am thinking that the hair left out of my sew in will be substantially shorter than the rest, because the rest was unmanipulated for 4 months. Anyway, I digress.

I am sorta nervous b/c I don't know what it will look like, although I've had hair shorter than this before. I am very nervous, and I never thought I would be.
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 28th June 2010, 12:09 pm

Welcome to CS...WOW so you are going to BC THIS Friday? Well... The third time is the charm!!! 678474 let's do it!!! We will be right here for you so...make sure you take plenty of pictures!!!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 28th June 2010, 12:36 pm

Hey there! Welcome to Curl Street. A few things...

I too transitioned with weave. And I left the front out and flat ironed it. I regret it because I think I have heat damage in the front. You may want to try a curly weave or something that mimics your natural texture. If I had a do-over, I wouldn't use heat during my transition.

Honestly, I'd go with the sulfate shampoo. Personally, I don't mind using sulfates from time to time. But nonetheless, ONE use of a sulfate shampoo is not going to do something terrible to your hair. The reason people don't use sulfates is because they can cause dryness. So of course, if would be important to do a deep conditioning. Also, when people BC, their hair is usually dry for a few months anyway. My concern, is that if you don't properly clear the buildup, your hair may not react to products very well (like you mentioned with the KCCC). I'm not suggesting you incorporate sulfates into your normal routine, but I'd say do it just this once to make sure that your hair is clear of everything. Now, if you don't want to use sulfates at least use a clarifying shampoo. The Kinky Curly Come Clean is a good one. And it will help ensure that the next time you use the Kinky Kurly products, they will work better.

Finally, I'm sure you're anxious to try the KCCC before you BC. However, keep in mind that your relaxed hair may react differently to it than your natural hair. So if you try it while transitioning and don't like it, give it another shot after your BC. I hear it works great on TWAs.

Sorry for such the long post. I'm kinda the long winded one around here. Lol. The third time is the charm!!! Icon_biggrin
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 28th June 2010, 1:08 pm

Awe don't be nervous! I know easier said than done. Before I BC'd my hair was shorter than it was now and for some reason I was nervous too. Maybe it was because I was acutally forced to deal with my hair instead of throwing a relaxer in it. But the fact that you're excited about it and are ready to do it sooner says a lot. Happy Chopping!! The third time is the charm!!! Icon_rr
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

The third time is the charm!!! Empty I DID IT!!!

Post by DEE DUBB 2nd July 2010, 4:50 pm

I DID IT.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Or better yet, three pictures are worth three thousand words...

Off to P.R.!!! Have a Great 4th!!!

The third time is the charm!!! Bc_00110

The third time is the charm!!! Bc_00210

The third time is the charm!!! Bc_00310
DEE DUBB
DEE DUBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 2nd July 2010, 4:57 pm

Beautiful......Congratulations!!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 3rd July 2010, 12:06 am

Beautiful you with the bc! Go Dee! Welcome to the block, enjoy P.R.! I know you will find your bc very liberating while on vacation and so will your DH!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next