CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dark Unsightly spots on knees

+8
DreamMerchant
LittleOne
coilykinks
Brainiac
renren
Karyn
Mangos&Bananas
Dimsnaps
12 posters

Go down

Dark Unsightly spots on knees Empty Dark Unsightly spots on knees

Post by Dimsnaps 9th June 2010, 2:17 am

Hello Everyone, I need help with the huge dark spots on my knees. They've been there forever and it really bothers me especially when i wear shorts or cute dresses. I've been blessed with nice legs but the dark spots are ruining everything Sad .....does anyone have or know of any solutions? anyone else struggling with this? I've used lemon juice for about two weeks(another suggestion i got online) and kept my knees moisturized but i don't see any improvement yet. Please help!
Dimsnaps
Dimsnaps

Back to top Go down

Dark Unsightly spots on knees Empty Re: Dark Unsightly spots on knees

Post by Mangos&Bananas 13th June 2010, 4:38 am

hey dims;

for dark spots, you may want to try cocoa butter.works really well with dark spots & blemishes. Used it for a cut once. hope that helps ma'am!
Mangos&Bananas
Mangos&Bananas

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimsnaps 17th June 2010, 8:04 pm

Thanks Mangos&Bananas. I've tried that too....didnt really work. I guess i my skin is extra-stubborn...lol!
Dimsnaps
Dimsnaps

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 17th June 2010, 9:32 pm

we're definitely in the same boat. i HATE the my dark knees and i feel super retarded when i wear dresses/short/skirts [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] i hope someone can help!
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by renren 22nd June 2010, 4:55 pm

Hey

you are definately not alone on this one. I have dark elbows as well...sigh..... I heard that regular exfoliation helps but ive never been consistent with that so see results.
renren
renren

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainiac 23rd June 2010, 9:36 am

hey use makari de suisse products. They have line of products that lighten dark spots, knees, elbows, and acne scars for African American skin.

Checkout the website.

www.makari.com

Brainiac

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 4th July 2010, 4:45 pm

I have read you could put aloe vera gel on the spots. I tried that once, but I was not consistent.

I too have them, and I hate them. But now I just accept it-but I am still looking for a cure.
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 11th July 2010, 7:45 pm

The skin gets dark because it's being "worn out" more than your other skin. Think about how much you bend your knees and elbows....every time the skin stretches it becomes more dry, and in a way, irritated. When people of color get dry or irritated skin, it results in skin darkening. That's why we get a dark spot after our pimples heal.

Try baby-ing that skin for a while. Always moisturize your knees and elbows with a natural oil or butter...my favorites are shea butter and coconut oil. Moisturize immediately after your shower and at least one other time during the day.

Don't shave over your knees.

If you are in the sun a lot, make sure you always have sunscreen on those areas (and any other areas that you don't want to darken). I wear SPF 30 on my face everyday even though I'm not really outside that much.

Also, I have been using black soap for 4 months and I think it made a drastic difference in evening out the skin tone all over my body. My knees and elbows are pretty much the same color as the rest of my legs/arms now. I have read other people's comments that black soap helped their skin tone too, but I have no idea how it works or if it will work for everyone.

Good luck ladies! Be patient...try these tips and re-assess the areas in 3-6 months.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 18th July 2010, 10:01 pm

Hmmm, I thought we all had dark knees. Every black person I have seen has them. I have never even given it a second thought. But I will try that black soap and see if that does anything!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 18th July 2010, 10:17 pm

Yes, we all have them. Even newborn babies have them.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 19th July 2010, 7:39 am

We are referring to a dark spot on the knee-not the entire knee area which I think tends to be darker than the rest of the leg. A dark spot in the middle of the knee probably caused by crawling around on the carpet (for me anyway) with my little one.

Lack of moisturization sounds like my cause. So I will continue to use the aloe vera and also use a good moisturizing lotion throughtout the day.
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 19th July 2010, 2:30 pm

Ooooh, my bad! I thought you meant the whole knee. I am a dork!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 3rd August 2010, 8:59 pm

Quick update for you ladies...

I ran out of shea butter a while before this post and switched to coconut oil to moisturize my knees/elbows. I have noticed recently that they are a little darker again. Not a drastic change, and certainly not as dark as before, but I still think I see a change.

I am wondering if shea butter is one of the keys to keeping knees/elbows from darkening. Shea butter has natural sunscreen properties, so it's almost like a 2 for 1...moisturizing and protecting. It's not enough protection for a full day of sun, but enough for brief commutes btwn work, school, etc.

I just got another pound of pure shea butter, and I'm watching the situation closely.

As a side note, I really love what shea butter does for my hair! I'm keeping it in stock from now on.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by divalicious0505 30th September 2010, 1:24 am

OMG! If you have not tried extra virgin olive oil, you must! Everyday before I go to work, I pour a small amount in my hand and pat some on my elbows, knees and the heels of my feet. I have NEVER had such beautiful elboys or knees or softer feet! That EVOO works wonders!
divalicious0505
divalicious0505

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyMoi 19th October 2010, 3:07 pm

try vitamin e oil with lemon. Be careful though because too much lemon can be drying.

try my blog, its all about diy skin care/hair care, etc. Also submit questions if you don't see what your looking for.

www.tresmoi11.blogspot.com
SimplyMoi
SimplyMoi

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 20th October 2010, 2:42 am

LittleOne wrote:Quick update for you ladies...

I ran out of shea butter a while before this post and switched to coconut oil to moisturize my knees/elbows. I have noticed recently that they are a little darker again. Not a drastic change, and certainly not as dark as before, but I still think I see a change.

I am wondering if shea butter is one of the keys to keeping knees/elbows from darkening. Shea butter has natural sunscreen properties, so it's almost like a 2 for 1...moisturizing and protecting. It's not enough protection for a full day of sun, but enough for brief commutes btwn work, school, etc.

I just got another pound of pure shea butter, and I'm watching the situation closely.

As a side note, I really love what shea butter does for my hair! I'm keeping it in stock from now on.

What is Shea Butter? Shea Butter is only found in the tropics of West Africa. It is extracted from the nuts of the Shea-Karite tree which begins to bear fruit after about 15 years; and can take up to 30 years to bear a quality crop of nuts with a high content of unremovable fatty acid. It is this unremovable fatty acid that gives Shea Butter its unique healing properties and makes it far superior to cocoa butter and other vegetable butters. ~taken from nappturality.com shea butter basics.

this may be the answer to the change you see! stick with the shea if you see a negative change when usage ceases! HTH!
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

http://www.twitter.com/Venus_Arising

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down