CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amla powder

+16
beverlyann
Tria
CrissyQ
Naturalin2010
Shrinkage
prettybrown213
afrolicious
watkins
MelMelBee
Carolina Natural
WhosThatRedHead
djackson
Neems
freckledmom4
envizionj
curlyq145
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Amla powder - Page 2 Empty Re: Amla powder

Post by Shrinkage 15th September 2010, 6:21 pm

How do you store the leftover amla and brahmi powders?
Shrinkage
Shrinkage

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 21st September 2010, 3:18 pm

freckledmom4 wrote:Amla is used to decrease shedding and promote a healthy scalp and it is also supposed to stimulate hair growth. I notice that when I use amla my hair feels stronger and my curls clump together better. I have been using henna and amla powders since May and I have noticed that my hair seems a lot stronger.

Hi freckledmom4! Very nice looking hair. I see you are doing really well! What brand of amla powder do you use and where did you find yours? I think I may want to try it, but haven't found a store on the southside, and I don't know a good site to order offline. Oh, btw, what is your hair type. Are you in the 3 or 4 range?
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 21st September 2010, 6:33 pm

prettybrown213 wrote:Envizionj, how long do you leave that mixture in your hair?

I just did my first henna gloss last weekend. I love the results but would also like to add a bit of amla to my mix as well (to combat any curls that my loosen along the way)

I guess I need to leave my mix in a little longer b/c my greys were a bright orange the first day and now less than a week later, they are back to the white.
Prettybrown213, I normally leave the mixture in my hair for 2-4 hours depending on w what I'm caught up in at the moment, but you could leave it in 1/2 hour to 1 hour if you like.

I have never done a henna gloss, but I believe a henna gloss is like a rinse rather than the full henna treatment which is permanent.
flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by prettybrown213 21st September 2010, 6:45 pm

Ohhhh, thank you so much. I am trying to do baby steps and work my way up to a full henna treatment. Yikes! Razz
prettybrown213
prettybrown213

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 24th September 2010, 1:52 pm

I JUST GO SOME AMLA OIL, ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO USE IT?
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Tria 25th September 2010, 12:06 am

Hey envizionj I remember you saying at one point that you go to Brooklyn to get your powders. Were specfically do you go because I want to get some alma powder.

Thank you
Tria
Tria

https://www.youtube.com/user/NaturallyMe21

Back to top Go down

Post by beverlyann 7th December 2010, 6:22 am

Amla powder is widely used to improve the general immune system. It is very useful in skin diseases as it has virya sheet strength. It inhibits pitta and thus helps to get relief from all skin diseases caused by pitta dominance. Regular intake of Amla promotes glow on skin and delays wrinkles or loosening of the skin.

beverlyann

Back to top Go down

Post by afrolicious 7th December 2010, 10:35 am

Yes beverlyann,

Most people drink it with 4 teaspoons in water. Very high in vit C.

I had asked this before, but is there a problem with mixing Amla with a tea instead of plain water? i.e. Green Tea or Black tea?

afrolicious

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 7th December 2010, 1:11 pm

Amla is a good multitasker. There are a host of benefits for hair, skin, and immune system. It, like hibiscus, is high in vitamin C (important for hair - remember it is an antioxidant). After use, just store it in a dry, cool place. You will notice the packaging is dated. Can be used alone as oil or make a paste and apply to hair. If made into a paste, you can use water (the traditional way) or use a tea, such as a tea made with hibiscus flower petals (this is what I usually do). If using clay or henna or any other treatment that loosens curl pattern, you can add the amla powder to counteract the loosening (I do this as well). There are many sources of amla oil WITHOUT mineral oil and/or preservatives. Amla oil will be infused in either sesame oil or coconut oil. However, I have not found those sources on the ground. If you choose, you can order from:

http://www.tattvasherbs.com/
http://www.bazaarofindia.com/
http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com

Sure there are other places, but with these vendors, you will find good reviews from customers, if you search.

BTW - It does tend to darken hair. Although amla can be consumed, personally, I would buy the actual fruit (Amla, Amalaki, Indian Gooseberry). It can be found at Asian/Indian stores (sometimes fresh, but outside of an Indian dense urban area, probably in the frozen form). There are also supplements sold. Just be extremely careful and do your research to have some assurance of a pure product without contaminants and make sure it says "for internal use" if using anything other than the actual fruit.

NOTE: Significant hair improvement is generally seen with frequent use. Ayurveda practitioners generally recommend scalp massages with the oils at least 2 - 3 times per wk. [There is a guide, but I won't get into that]. You can research the holistic medicinal art called "ayurveda," if interested.

http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/fruit/health-benefits-of-indian-gooseberry-or-amla.html

http://www.herbal-hair-shampoo.com/amla-gooseberry-emblica-officinalis.php

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 7th December 2010, 5:14 pm

PrettyBrown213, I leave my henna in my hair for 5-6 hours if it's during the day or overnight if it's too late in the evening. A henna gloss will leave temporary color, but a henna treatment is permanent. I have to henna every month to cover the grays. sunny

I'm thinking about purchasing the Heutiful steamer to cut down on my henna time as well as deep treatments.
flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 7th December 2010, 6:20 pm

Naturalin2010 wrote:
freckledmom4 wrote:Amla is used to decrease shedding and promote a healthy scalp and it is also supposed to stimulate hair growth. I notice that when I use amla my hair feels stronger and my curls clump together better. I have been using henna and amla powders since May and I have noticed that my hair seems a lot stronger.

Hi freckledmom4! Very nice looking hair. I see you are doing really well! What brand of amla powder do you use and where did you find yours? I think I may want to try it, but haven't found a store on the southside, and I don't know a good site to order offline. Oh, btw, what is your hair type. Are you in the 3 or 4 range?

I am soo sorry that I didn't respond until now. I just received an email for this post. I buy Hesh Amla from buttersnbars.com. As far as hair type goes, I am not sure. I would say that I'm somewhere in the 4 family. I have mostly s shaped curls of various sizes and few ringlet/coils in the back.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by afrolicious 8th December 2010, 2:41 am

How often can you do Amla/brahmi treatments? Can you do them each wash? (Even though that's work Sad )

afrolicious

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 8th December 2010, 5:30 pm

Afrolicious, it should not be a lot of work for you. I wash my hair every week, and tend to deep condition every week also. I put 1 tablespoon each of my powders in a bowl and add hot tap water and after 15 minutes, I add conditioners. If you mix the concoction right before you wash your hair, that should take away at least 10 minutes, leaving you 5 minutes to stir in the oil(s) and conditioner. You could even mix the batch an hour or more before. After that, massage the amla/brahmi mix in your hair, put on your heating cap or steamer for 1/2 hour or more and that's that. Then you would rinse out with water and add more conditioner if you like. flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 8th December 2010, 11:10 pm

I purchased some amla powder about a month ago and haven't used it yet. I noticed that several of you mix this with brahmi powder? What is the benefit of adding that powder. What about adding conditioners and oils? What benefit does that provide also. After leaving in awhile, how do you rinse it all out. Do you shampoo, then co-wash and style?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm hoping I get a steamer for Christmas and I want to try it. Wink
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by afrolicious 9th December 2010, 6:09 am

envizionj wrote:Afrolicious, it should not be a lot of work for you. I wash my hair every week, and tend to deep condition every week also. I put 1 tablespoon each of my powders in a bowl and add hot tap water and after 15 minutes, I add conditioners. If you mix the concoction right before you wash your hair, that should take away at least 10 minutes, leaving you 5 minutes to stir in the oil(s) and conditioner. You could even mix the batch an hour or more before. After that, massage the amla/brahmi mix in your hair, put on your heating cap or steamer for 1/2 hour or more and that's that. Then you would rinse out with water and add more conditioner if you like. flower

Thanks Envirionj. My problem was the rinsing out part. I did my first Amla Brahmi treatment last week with oils, and man to wash that out was an issue! I rinsed it out like I do for Henna treatments (like Curly Nikki) then deep treated with conditioner afterwards. i still eneded up with alot of grain, and had to do several rinses while moisturizing and combing my hair. scratch Maybe it's the conditioner mixing with the powders as you did, would help with the rinsing out part.
Wow that's good that you use the amla each week. Again since you do it as a one step process it takes less time. As sitting with the amla for 1 hour then the deep treatment for 1/2 - 1 hour. My hair felt great mind you.

afrolicious

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 9th December 2010, 12:03 pm

Naturalin2010 wrote:I purchased some amla powder about a month ago and haven't used it yet. I noticed that several of you mix this with brahmi powder? What is the benefit of adding that powder. What about adding conditioners and oils? What benefit does that provide also. After leaving in awhile, how do you rinse it all out. Do you shampoo, then co-wash and style?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm hoping I get a steamer for Christmas and I want to try it. Wink

Brahmi is another powder that has conditioning properties, but alma is effective if used alone. I mix the amla with water first then add condish. The conditioner helps to stretch the amla and makes it easier to rinse out in my opinion. You probably need about 2 tbs of amla if you are going to mix with conditioner, but more if you're going to use alone. envizionj suggested that I should coat my hair with coconut oil before using because it can be drying. I have found this to help alieviate the dry, straw like feel. I do not shampoo, cowash or dc afterwards. I just rinse well and apply leave in.

Now about that steamer, I may have to make a trip to your house for some steam therapy-lol. I really want one but it is so not happening any time soon.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 9th December 2010, 6:54 pm

Freckledmom - Let me inquire more about your oil use. Do you leave the oil on overnight prior to an herb treatment? Just curious b/c I am sure I am doing "overkill" b/c I def don't want any possibility of straw-like hair. I pre-poo with oil overnight and dc. I am thinking the dc is unnecessary, but going that extra measure as a precaution. After doing this about 2 1/2 months now, I think I might be able to reduce my wash day time, by eliminating this step.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by nattynattie 21st February 2011, 7:04 pm

Hey ladies,

I've been reading over this thread. So is it correct that I'll only need a couple of tablespoons of amla mixed into some conditioner for a good deep treatment?

I have 100 grams of amla at home and I'm thinking about using for treatments in between henna. I thought I would have to use the whole 100 g's for one treatment (like henna).

Thanks!!
nattynattie
nattynattie

Back to top Go down

Post by marrystary 5th March 2011, 12:01 am

There are so many benefits of Amla powder. Although amla can be consumed, personally, I would buy the actual fruit . It can be found at Asian/Indian stores. My hair has been feeling and looking thinner than usual so I want to try this out. Amla is good for hair eyes and health.

marrystary

Back to top Go down

Post by palomavictoria 16th March 2011, 8:25 am

Amla is one of the prestigious herbs that prevent aging and promote longevity. It is one of the most powerful fruits that naturally heal and cleanse your body. It has more Vitamin C than any other fruit.

palomavictoria

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2