CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Products for easy transitioning

+3
hopeforyourbody
Pinkpearls
Kassie-Marie
7 posters

Go down

Products for easy transitioning Empty Products for easy transitioning

Post by Kassie-Marie 27th May 2010, 9:48 am

Hi,

I am a 4 monyh transitioner and Ive been using an assortment of products to make my two textures as happy as possible. do you guys have any suggestions for hair products that would tend to both my relaxed and natural hair.? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Kassie-Marie on 27th May 2010, 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Kassie-Marie
Kassie-Marie

Back to top Go down

Products for easy transitioning Empty Re: Products for easy transitioning

Post by Pinkpearls 27th May 2010, 4:39 pm

I had the same problem...products were either too oily or drying. About two months ago, I started using Darcy's Botanicals. The Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme is not too heavy and works well on both textures. I also use a little of the MVSC over the transitioning creme. I use the transitioning creme as a daily moisturizer and then I seal with the MVSC.
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Products for easy transitioning Empty Transition product choices

Post by hopeforyourbody 28th May 2010, 12:09 am

Pinkpearls... we live in the same area. I have been transitioning for three months. There are a lot of products out there; like Kassie-Marie, I am inundated by all the choices. I read somewhere that the curly products wouldn't benefit me during the transition period while I still have the relaxed hair. So, as much as I can not wait to try KCCC and Miss Jessie's products, etc., I need to know which is beneficial during my transitional period. Currently I use natural raw shea butter as a moisturizer & when I braid for braid outs. I just today purchased Organix coconut milk leave in and the coconut milk conditioner. BTW, the local Walgreen's is selling this line's shampoo/conditioner for buy 1, get 1 free. I also use Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair butter and Black Vanilla leave in. Don't know that the BV leave in benefits my hair but I will use it till it's gone.

Have looked at Darcy's Botanicals, Hairveda, Oyin Handmade products and though I would like to try the products, I don't want to spend money needlessly. So, any suggestions are appreciated... (to everyone who reads this).
hopeforyourbody
hopeforyourbody

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkpearls 28th May 2010, 1:30 am

hopeforyourbody wrote:Pinkpearls... we live in the same area. I have been transitioning for three months. There are a lot of products out there; like Kassie-Marie, I am inundated by all the choices. I read somewhere that the curly products wouldn't benefit me during the transition period while I still have the relaxed hair. So, as much as I can not wait to try KCCC and Miss Jessie's products, etc., I need to know which is beneficial during my transitional period. Currently I use natural raw shea butter as a moisturizer & when I braid for braid outs. I just today purchased Organix coconut milk leave in and the coconut milk conditioner. BTW, the local Walgreen's is selling this line's shampoo/conditioner for buy 1, get 1 free. I also use Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair butter and Black Vanilla leave in. Don't know that the BV leave in benefits my hair but I will use it till it's gone.

Have looked at Darcy's Botanicals, Hairveda, Oyin Handmade products and though I would like to try the products, I don't want to spend money needlessly. So, any suggestions are appreciated... (to everyone who reads this).

Hi Neighbor! I have experimented with a few product lines, and found a few products that work on my relaxed and natural hair. You are right, the curling products...KCCC, Miss Jessie's and UFD won't work while your are transitioning. However, most of those product lines offer butters, shampoo and conditioners that will work. KCCC has a good detangler/leave-in...Knot Today, UFD has a hair butter that can be used for twisting/braid outs.

Using products that can be purchased locally is a good idea. Currently, I am using Darcy's Botanicals Conditioner, moisturizer and stylers. In addition to Darcy's, I sometimes use the following items:
Yes to Cucumbers Conditioner (can be found at Target and some Ross stores)
KCNT (this is a leave-in/detangler and can be found at Whole Foods)

I also used products from the Health Foods Store (All Total Health Foods Store on Hwy 6 and Betsy's Health Foods Store on FM 1960). However, ordering online is sometimes less expensive.

A few products I order at: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/ or buy locally, if they have organic, are: Unrefined shea butter, Organic Coconut Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Aloe Vera Gel (can be used to slick edges when wearing ponytail styles or buns...doesn't give a good hold but it's moisturizing), Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Rosewater (Rose Hydrosol). I usually make my own shealoe (Shea and Aloe Vera Butter).

I hope this helps.
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by adamseve 28th May 2010, 2:37 am

WOW...I hadn't heard that the curly products wouldn't work well on transitioning hair. Thanks for the heads up! How did I miss that? LOL
adamseve
adamseve

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkpearls 28th May 2010, 3:51 am

While you are transitioning you have, at least, two types of hair textures...your number of natural textures, and relaxed texture. UFD Curly Magic or other curl stimulating products wiIl not curl your transitioning relaxed hair. It can, depending on your hair type, curl your natural/new growth.

It was recommended to me that I could use the Curly magic on my new growth and twist/braid/or use perm rods on my relaxed hair. I tried this technique and the result was the same as a regular braid out with dry new growth due to the Curly Magic. You can, however, use other products in those lines....butters, Conditioners, etc.
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 28th May 2010, 7:11 pm

This was a very helpful thread as a new transitioner. Thanks!
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hopeforyourbody 28th May 2010, 7:27 pm

Thanks Pinkpearls... I met my raw shea guy today 'cause I was almost out. I highly recommend shea butter (for those who haven't tried it). It is moisturizing without being greasy or heavy. Be sure to get unrefined (raw) Fair trade shea butter. Butters-n-bars is a good online connection. (www.butters-n-bars.com) I am deep conditioning tomorrow with a homemade mix of avocado and mayonnaise (with extra avocados for guacamole of course).

I am excited to see where my hair will be in another three months!
hopeforyourbody
hopeforyourbody

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkpearls 28th May 2010, 10:26 pm

Below is a recipe for Shealoe Butter Mousse. I made this a few months ago and it's really great. I gave my mom a jar and she uses it as a facial moisturizer.
http://www.diaryofahairobsession.com/?p=775
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy V. 20th June 2010, 8:28 pm

great thread! i have braids in right now but i plan on purchasing the Bee Mine line of products for when i take them out. i've heard of a few different transitioners having great results with them.
Amy V.
Amy V.

http://avbeautycentral.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 20th June 2010, 8:52 pm

The products for easy transitioning are individualized. Everyone's hair is different regarding hair texture, and protein and moisture requirements. I think that you should first determine what your hair protein and moisture needs are and then select the appropriate products.

I have been transitioning since 9/09. My hair is 4a/b, fine texture and loves protein. I have tried a lot of products. This month I started using Giovanni products exclusively, with good results.

Here are some links to this website to help you:
http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/general-f3/major-confusion-protein-vs-moisture-how-to-properly-dc-t3044.htm?highlight=protein

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/stylin-and-profilin-f2/how-do-you-know-when-your-hair-is-protein-sensitive-t2497.htm?
highlight=protein

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down