CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you band hair too much?

+4
BrownSkinDiva
HappyCurly
ChrsLvsBks
Curlock Holmes
8 posters

Go down

Can you band hair too much? Empty Can you band hair too much?

Post by Curlock Holmes 26th May 2010, 2:55 pm

I'm going to try to wear mostly twists this summer, and I want to do them on stretched hair. I like banding my hair because its really easy and it gets the roots straight, but will doing this too often damage my hair? I'm thinking I'd only do it once a week. Thanks for the help!
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Can you band hair too much? Empty Re: Can you band hair too much?

Post by ChrsLvsBks 26th May 2010, 4:16 pm

I stretch by making large twists/braids (on wet hair and air dry), wearing buns (again on wet hair and air dry) or doing hair after wearing twists for a couple of days. I have seen a few people twist in medium twists then a couple of days later make them a little smaller.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 26th May 2010, 7:07 pm

Thanks!

I usually do my hair in twists too but for graduation I straightened my hair and I stretched it by using ouchless hair ties and it seemed to be a lot quicker, dried faster, and my roots were straighter. I'm wondering if that is a damaging process.
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 26th May 2010, 7:41 pm

I'm also wondering if it is damaging. I want to do it, never tried yet, but thinking of doing it tonight.

it seems like it is a lot of manipulation on my roots, which are just learning that i'm going to be nice to htem; they are still a bit scared.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 27th May 2010, 8:13 am

this is a very good topic because I also would like to know if its damaging if done too much. I wanted to try it within the next few weeks after my hair challenge ends....i cant wait to hear some folks' advice...
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 28th May 2010, 2:34 pm

I have been doing this on my daughters hair for several months now and she has absolutely no damage. I usually do this before I actually style her hair and I find this works better than braids/twists and there are less tangles/knots. I think as long as the hair is very well moisturized there should be no problem. Also be careful not to make the bands too tight.
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 28th May 2010, 2:36 pm

Oh and I only suggest using a certain kind of bands. There are these cloth covered goody ouchless bands I use. I used another kind of cloth covered ponytail holders and they caused BREAKAGE. Pictures of the kinds I use and the ones that caused breakage on the blog.
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 28th May 2010, 3:32 pm

Thanks so much! I really like your site and your daughter (and her hair!) is SOO ADORABLE!
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 28th May 2010, 8:47 pm

Thank you so much! I appreciate it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NikG20
NikG20

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 31st May 2010, 6:22 am

I agree with Nik. I am new to banding but I LOVE IT!!!!!!! I cannot tell you enough. Here's how I band. When I going to do a style (dry twists, etc) or even just do a band and go (my version of a wash and go) I make pretty small sections. Then, I band my hair EVERY night, but with much smaller sections. Now this may sound like overkill. However, I have type 4a/b hair. And single strand knots and tangles can be a beast. By keeping the hair stretched while I sleep, it prevents it from curling up on itself when my head is pressed upon the pillow. And while it can seem like alot of manipulation, I think that in the long run it is better for my hair. I also agree that it depends on what type of band. I use an all cloth one with no metal piece. I believe it's the ouchless ones Nik mentioned. Also, I have heard of people soaking the bands in oil to reduce the friction between the band and the hair. Now, everytime I remove my hair from the bands, I check to see if there is any hair caught in it. There is mostly never any broken hairs, and the few times, it has only been a strand or two which could actually just be my normal shed hair.

As for me, banding is working wonders. Check out my Curl Street Journal Thread. Now, let me just say the reason I band my hair. My hair is extremely dense and is not yet at the length that I can make large enough twists. I will only get about 1 or 2 turns which of course would unravel. So, I band because it holds the hair together since the twist won't hold on it's own. If I were going to twist, I'd have to do them too small and make too many, it would defeat the purpose of simplicity. However, when my hair gets longer, I plan to switch to the large twist method that Chrs suggested. Either way, my hair will always be in some type of stretched style at night.

If you just plan on doing it every week or so for twists, I don't think it will be a problem. But like Nik said, not too tight. Keep us posted on your results.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 1st June 2010, 5:19 pm

What exactly is banding and how is it done?
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 1st June 2010, 7:58 pm

Banding is just another way to stretch your hair. Instead of twisting or braiding, you take sections of your hair, and just like if you were making little ponytails, you 'band' them. Then you do multiple bands along the length of that ponytail to stretch it further. It's a very quick and easy way of stretching your hair for a style!
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 1st June 2010, 8:00 pm

Thanks Juices-n-Berries! The majority of my hair is tightly coiled 4a hair, so I definitely know about those darned SSKs! I will make sure to post a picture once I do some decent twists (the first set were terrible!)
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalTina 26th June 2010, 1:35 pm

I'm a recent fan of banding lol here's my first attempt

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NaturalTina
NaturalTina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down