CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does henna make anyone elses head hurt or itch?

+12
Free2Be
priceless
MEGAFAITH
DreamMerchant
september
R2D2
ButterQueen
envizionj
BattleKat
AimWard
Henna Hut
Karyn
16 posters

Go down

Does henna make anyone elses head hurt or itch? Empty Does henna make anyone elses head hurt or itch?

Post by Karyn 24th May 2010, 9:43 am

I don't wanna stop using it (and I'm not gonna). I can stand a little itching and head hurting [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Does henna make anyone elses head hurt or itch? Empty Henna itch?

Post by Henna Hut 24th May 2010, 5:44 pm

When you say hurt do you mean like a head ache? The only kind of itch you should have is when it is drying. But great quality henna you will only have to leave on for an hour, so it would not have a chance to dry completely.

If you blister up it could be a good chance it has chemicals in it. Some people are allergic to the sun, so it might be a chance you allergic to the henna.
Henna Hut
Henna Hut

http://hennahut.com

Back to top Go down

Does henna make anyone elses head hurt or itch? Empty Re: Does henna make anyone elses head hurt or itch?

Post by Karyn 24th May 2010, 7:06 pm

I just mean a head ache. I usually leave in on for at least three hours because I was under the impression that I needed to have it on for a long time [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I just Jamila Henna from BnB, which I'm pretty sure, doesn't have any chemicals in it. So, I guess the itchiness if just from the henna drying. No clue why I get a headache though.

Thanks for the help!
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Does henna make anyone elses head hurt or itch? Empty Re: Does henna make anyone elses head hurt or itch?

Post by Henna Hut 24th May 2010, 7:40 pm

Your welcome.
All brands differ. I would try leaving it on just an hour, unless they tell you to leave it on for 3. Also remember root touch ups are a great way to keep the color you have and you save money by using less henna. You usually only need a table spoon of henna for root touch ups. We have a video on Henna Hut that shows you how to do it. Have a great week!
Henna Hut
Henna Hut

http://hennahut.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AimWard 24th May 2010, 10:05 pm

I get no itchies but the smell of henna sometimes triggers headaches for me. But I'm VERY sensitive to smells and migraine prone.
AimWard
AimWard

Back to top Go down

Post by BattleKat 25th May 2010, 11:26 pm

I henna'ed on Sunday, after I DC and washed it out I oiled my scalp with coconut oil and it was still itchy.
BattleKat
BattleKat

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 26th May 2010, 5:47 pm

Karyn wrote:I don't wanna stop using it (and I'm not gonna). I can stand a little itching and head hurting [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Karyn, what acid did you put in your henna to release the plant dye? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Kindly tell what you did step by step so we can better help you. I only get migranes when I use Indigo because I am allergic to it. It has a very strong PH level and I cannot use it. I also use the Jamila BAQ from Butter-n-Bars, but never experience migranes/headaches.

My head was itchy after hennaing the first time because I used only fresh lemon juice in my henna mix. I no longer use lemon juice at all. I just combine 2 tablespoons of Hesh Amla, which is acidic, 1 tablespoon of Hesh Brahmi, 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves, spring water, mix and let sit for 12 hours.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 26th May 2010, 6:19 pm

Hi Karyn!
Acidity can definitely play a huge part. Some people simply cant tolerate high ph levels which is why we sometimes get itchies and headaches from using indigo. Its not chemicals or dyes in it it's the natural acidity of the indigo plant. If you used a high acid like lemon juice then try a weaker one next time like orange juice or even coconut milk and as always if you have any ??s about any product you get from me ...just ask, I love hair questions [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Henna doesn't have to hurt ;-)
Best Wishes,
Sharika
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

http://www.butters-n-bars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 26th May 2010, 7:57 pm

envizionj wrote:
Karyn wrote:I don't wanna stop using it (and I'm not gonna). I can stand a little itching and head hurting [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Karyn, what acid did you put in your henna to release the plant dye? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Kindly tell what you did step by step so we can better help you. I only get migranes when I use Indigo because I am allergic to it. It has a very strong PH level and I cannot use it. I also use the Jamila BAQ from Butter-n-Bars, but never experience migranes/headaches.

My head was itchy after hennaing the first time because I used only fresh lemon juice in my henna mix. I no longer use lemon juice at all. I just combine 2 tablespoons of Hesh Amla, which is acidic, 1 tablespoon of Hesh Brahmi, 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves, spring water, mix and let sit for 12 hours.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

ButterQueen wrote:Hi Karyn!
Acidity can definitely play a huge part. Some people simply cant tolerate high ph levels which is why we sometimes get itchies and headaches from using indigo. Its not chemicals or dyes in it it's the natural acidity of the indigo plant. If you used a high acid like lemon juice then try a weaker one next time like orange juice or even coconut milk and as always if you have any ??s about any product you get from me ...just ask, I love hair questions [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Henna doesn't have to hurt ;-)
Best Wishes,
Sharika

I just used green tea and honey (like CN). It was 1 and 1/2 cups of green tea and I didn't bother to measure the honey, just squirted it in. I let it sit overnight, although I usually just henna immediately. Maybe next time I'll try some coconut milk. That was my third time using henna and it's happened every time, so I just figured it was normal [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks for the help ladies Very Happy
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 26th May 2010, 8:25 pm

I'm the forum cheerleader of coconut milk LOL! It is only mildly acidic but I get beautiful dye release every time. Or you can just use plain water like the Indians do - the acidicity of water depends on your area but in my area last year it was pH 7.7, which is more on the alkaline side and I still get good dye release whenever I've used it. I prefer coconut milk though for the soft feeling that it leaves behind afterwards.

The key is to experiment. If it continues, you experience a burning sensation or if the headaches are severe then discontinue use of henna as it may be that you are one of the few that is allergic to it.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by september 4th June 2010, 10:26 pm

I use Jamila too and didn't start having an itchy feeling until I started to add oils into my mix. My hair loves it but I don't think my scalp does. I may have to figure out another mix that doesn't cause an itchy burning sensation.
september
september

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 5th June 2010, 12:48 am

I get headaches from the henna being on my head because if the weight of the henna in my hair. I have BSL hair and when I put all that henna in my hair and pile it ontop of my head, my neck feels tired and it triggers a neckache that feels like a headache. I put it in right before bed and sleep with it in so that my neck will not hurt. You could be experiencing the same thing.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAFAITH 9th June 2010, 2:58 pm

I HENNA FOR THE FRIST TIME TWO DAYS AGO MY SCALP WAS ITCHING THE BRAND WAS JAMILE I GUESS I WILLT RY USE OJ INSTEAD OF GREEN TEA I HAVE A TWA SO I WILL ONLY USE HALF A PAC
MEGAFAITH
MEGAFAITH

Back to top Go down

Post by priceless 12th June 2010, 1:51 am

I have henna in my hair right it itch a little but not unbearably trying to leaving it in over night
priceless
priceless

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 12th June 2010, 4:27 pm

I use the Yemen henna from Mehandi.com. As soon as I open the pack I get an instant headache from the odor. Once it's mixed and covered up, I'm fine. Even applying it doesn't give me the same headache as when I first open it. Ugh.
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAFAITH 13th June 2010, 11:54 am

@ priceless I have learned with a twa that you only need half a box and. I let it sit for 4 to 5 hours. I know your not having any problems just wanted to share my results from doing henna the second time around and to the other ladies Nikki did say that you have to pratice kspl with mixing henna to make it work for u when I did this way I had no itching are headachs and even though I used less because I have a twa I still got the same results now the question I have is who trying the gloss method?
MEGAFAITH
MEGAFAITH

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 19th July 2010, 11:07 am

I did a henna treatment last night and my scalp is very itcy/burning. I mixed henna from mehandi.com with amla & water. I'm wodering if it's the amla powder because I have used henna from the same place & I didn't have this feeling before. What can I do to get ride of the itchy/burning feeling?

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 19th July 2010, 12:50 pm

I checked with Catherine @ Mehandi.com and she the amla mostly is causing the itching/burning sensation. She said it is very acidic. I'm glad I know the cause of it. I'm glad I don't have to stop using henna. I really liked my results, besides the amla did not stop my curls from being loose.

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by FloridaSunshiny 24th July 2010, 3:28 pm

I had itching and sore scalpe for days when I used the Lush henna. Since switching to Jamilla Summer 2009 crop, I haven't any issues. I keep my mix fairly simple:

100 grams of BAQ henna
1.5 cups of green tea
Honey - if I remember to put it in

I leave it on for about 5-6 hours, then rinse with absolutely no issues.
FloridaSunshiny
FloridaSunshiny

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 24th July 2010, 6:53 pm

I use the Jamilla Henna, and I keep my mix very simple...green tea & honey, that's it! I sleep in it overnight, and get excellent results, minus the random sypmtoms! I say adjust your mix...keep it simple, and adjust accordingly!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by KhemetQT 11th August 2010, 2:35 pm

I used Jamilla from BnB yesterday for the first time and I also got a headache and had dark green pee. I also don't want to stop using henna either because I love the results. I can deal with the green pee but I can't deal with the headache! I still have it!
KhemetQT
KhemetQT

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAFAITH 11th August 2010, 2:43 pm

If I was u I would leave it alone it might be something in henna that does not agree with u
MEGAFAITH
MEGAFAITH

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 11th August 2010, 9:28 pm

KhemetQT wrote:I used Jamilla from BnB yesterday for the first time and I also got a headache and had dark green pee. I also don't want to stop using henna either because I love the results. I can deal with the green pee but I can't deal with the headache! I still have it!

I agree with Megafaith. A long headache like that is not normal and you would be best to stop using henna. Also getting the green pee is not usual either. It sounds like your body is reacting to the henna in some way.

Sorry, it does sound like you like it a lot otherwise.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down