CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eight years natural, can't go another day w/o Big Sis

2 posters

Go down

Eight years natural, can't go another day w/o Big Sis Empty Eight years natural, can't go another day w/o Big Sis

Post by Eightyearsinthedark 17th May 2010, 1:06 am

I had no clue such a forum existed to help me in my journey! Almost eight years ago, I transitioned to my curly origins. I did not have any friends at that time who were natural, so I felt like I was forging my own path. Along the way, I have tried almost everything, at least so I thought. Recently, one of my best friends pointed me to this site and started to fill me in on her regimen for hair care. I think she may have assumed since I was so many years under my belt, that I had it all figured out. But I don't!!! After browsing this site, I realized I need a Big Sister, pronto. I have never been able to control my hair like I want to, so whenever I am fed up with fighting the frizzies, I blow, flat iron, and go. I think my hair type is 4b. I feel like I am starting all the way over again. I want to start with learning out to co-wash and use some type of oil for my scalp. Bunning in the winter?! Sulfate free shampoo? Silcone free conditioner? HEEELLLPPP!!

Eightyearsinthedark

Back to top Go down

Eight years natural, can't go another day w/o Big Sis Empty Willing to Help, if you like

Post by ChrsLvsBks 18th May 2010, 4:36 pm

You sound like me. I gave up relaxers more than 10 years ago and discovered how to care for my hair in August 2009. I would love to help you.

The key as you may or may not know is moisture. Water based products provide that for you. Drugstore conditioners I have used and liked are Aussie Moist, VO5 Moisture Milks, Suave Naturals, Herbal Essence’s Hello Hydration, Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac. If you like more natural products, I highly recommend Darcy’s Botanicals deep conditioning mask, leave in conditioner, daily conditioner and hair milk; Karen’s Body Beautiful hair milk, hair cream and hair butter; and Afroveda's butters.

Remember to seal the moisture in with oil or butter.

As far as retaining moisture in your scalp, try castor oil, jojoba oil or extra virgin coconut oil. They have been studied and penetrate the skin and hair.

Let me know what other concerns you may have.

Last edited by ChrsLvsBks on 18th May 2010, 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Too many spaces between paragraphs)
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Eight years natural, can't go another day w/o Big Sis Empty Re: Eight years natural, can't go another day w/o Big Sis

Post by Eightyearsinthedark 18th May 2010, 6:58 pm

Thanks for replying! I will check out the products that you recommended. Since this will be my first co-washing, should I shampoo one last time, then condition? Do you actually rinse all of the conditioner out? When you say seal in the moisture, just liberally apply oil or butter after conditioning, but before it dries, correct? Last, but not least, when you use castor oil, jojoba oil, or the coconut oil, do you mix it, or just use it straight? I took a look at your Fotki page, your hair looks really healthy!

I have wanted to try Afroveda for a while now, I think I am going to take the plunge. I have been such a product junkie, because I always felt nothing worked on my hair, but I think my major problem is lack of moisture.

Eightyearsinthedark

Back to top Go down

Eight years natural, can't go another day w/o Big Sis Empty Re: Eight years natural, can't go another day w/o Big Sis

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down