CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please help me with ideas for Vegetarian dishes!

+19
Gado-Gado Gal
gemofacurlgirl
dyamonds10
DancingDee
DvaAuNaturel
HappyCurly
TerraD
naturalnat
Bilqis
sjoyreed
nattyblog
dyadya
SighSidhe
neethair
ElleX
KinkySheaPT
jcanalena79
jamaicacurl
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Please help me with ideas for Vegetarian dishes! Empty Please help me with ideas for Vegetarian dishes!

Post by jamaicacurl 11th May 2010, 8:42 pm

Hi ladies,

In addition to challenging myself to drink more water, I have also realized that I need to look into what I'm eating to combat some of the fatigue & laziness I feel on a day to day basis. I have 2 small kids, a full time job, and a hubby that of course all keep me busy but I also feel like my energy level is really low. I'm always tired!

So, I've decided to try to alter my diet by lowering my bad carbs and some meats and increase my intake of veggies. I love fruits so that's not a problem. Right now, my plan is to have 2 meatless days/week. Only problem is, I can't seem to come up with many ideas for meatless meals! I love meat so much that it's hard to think of many meals without the meat!

Please help me!!!

Thanks in advance Smile
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Please help me with ideas for Vegetarian dishes! Empty Re: Please help me with ideas for Vegetarian dishes!

Post by jcanalena79 12th May 2010, 4:12 am

Hey hon! I haven't been preparing meat at home for the past few months. However, I've also not been cooking as much, lol. I have taken advantage of meat substitutes, though. For example, last night I made fried rice and used "chickenless strips" from Trader Joe's, whole grain brown rice and plenty of veggies and it tasted great! I used to think of that stuff as 'fake' meat, but it's not -- it's protein too, just vegetable protein. If you eat fish, I've done curried fish and brown stew fish with whole grain brown rice. I also do a lot of soups - lentil soup, black bean soup, etc. and the beans contain protein as well.
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Please help me with ideas for Vegetarian dishes! Empty Re: Please help me with ideas for Vegetarian dishes!

Post by jamaicacurl 12th May 2010, 1:48 pm

Thanks JCan!!

My friend eats those meat substitutes as well and she was convincing me yesterday to try it out. I was like fine I will! It can't be that bad if so many ppl say it's really good.

I do plan to prepare many foods with beans but that's where I need some guidance because all I can think of is Mexican meals! Fish is definitely on my list as well. I got a recipe for red peas soup (which I LOVE) so I'm going to try that too.

Thanks for the tips! Keem 'em coming! Smile

I've never donw brown stew fish though...you have a recipe?
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by jcanalena79 12th May 2010, 2:15 pm

OMG, red peas soup!!! You know it won't be the same w/out the pigs tail, though, right? lol!

I'll dig up the recipe for the brown stew fish, and could you post/PM me the recipe for the meat-less red peas soup, please? Smile

I'm still learning too ...
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 12th May 2010, 10:07 pm

I know the pigs tail gives it such a nice flavour! But since I don't eat it I will leave that out. Actually the recipe I got calls for pigtail and beef but I will leave them out. I'm gonna find the recipe & PM you
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 12th May 2010, 11:47 pm

I'm sorry. I could have sworn I saw "pig's tail." One can acutally consume the tail of a pig, like one consumes bacon??
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 16th May 2010, 11:50 pm

I've been a vegetarian for about 5 years straight now, and one of those years I was a strict vegetarian (i.e., vegan). So, yea...everything I consume is vegetarian [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

One of my favorite dishes is a mixture of black beans (canned) and scrambled eggs with some (veggie) cheese shreds and topped with taco sauce. Omg, it's frickin' delicious. But that could be just me; I love Mexican/Spanish food.

You could also make stews by tossing some random vegetables, beans, noodles, whatever into a pot of vegetable broth and seasonings. Easy.

Then there's sweet potato fries. Also delicious. You slice sweet potatoes into strips or wedges, set them on a pan (which would be greased with Pam, or olive oil if you don't mind the calories/fat), and season the potatoes with garlic powder, pepper, and Mrs. Dash seasoning. Make sure you grease the top of the potatoes before you add the seasonings because it helps the flavory goodness stick to the potatoes better and allows the potatoes to crisp wonderfully. You let one side cook for 15 min. on 425-450 degrees, flip them, and let the other side cook for another 15 min. on the same temperature. These are wonderful with a veggie burger or some corn on the cob and other vegetables.

Tofu's another biggie; you can do almost anything with it. You could make a tofu scramble (there are hundreds of recipes for this), add it into a stirfry, or maybe make it into a "fish" fillet. You would take half a block of extra firm tofu, grease it in Pam (or olive oil), and cover it in a flour/seasoning mix (like you would do if you were frying fish). You can use any seasoning you like, but I usually throw a mix of garlic powder (I love garlic), pepper, basil, oregano, Old Bay (if you live near the Chesapeake Bay, you must use Old Bay--it's a law
), and some other random, tasty seasonings into a bowl of 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of flour and cover the tofu in it. Put it in the oven, let one side cook for about 30 min. at 420 degrees, flip it over, and let the other side cook the same way.

Eating vegetarian food doesn't have to be just beans, salads, nuts, and soups all the time. You have plentyo of options. One of my favorite sites to look up recipes is
Recipezaar.

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 17th May 2010, 12:08 pm

@Kinkyshea - yes girl pig tail! I don't eat it but it's great for flavour!

@Summer Ruby - Thanks so much for your ideas! I love Spanish & Mexican too. Actually, thanks for reminding me of the sweet potato fries because I do make those from time to time and I love it. I will definitely check out that site also. I found another one the other day but can't remember the name.

Thanks and keep it coming Smile
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleX 22nd May 2010, 11:43 pm

When I was eating more vegetarian the below two dishes were in heavy rotation.

crockpot vegetarian chili (omit meat from your favorite chili recipe);

vegetarian soft tacos (omit meat, add beans);

Here are some recipes that sound delish but I haven't tried:

Quinoa stuffed peppers: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10896

Black Bean and Corn Stuffed Peppers http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art20897.asp

vegetarian stuffed cabbage: http://greekfood.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/r/lahanodolmathak.htm
ElleX
ElleX

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 23rd May 2010, 10:22 am

Thanks Elle! Those look yummy Smile
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by neethair 25th May 2010, 12:52 pm

Hey Ladies-

My husband and I have been trying to eat better so we are having 3 meatless meals a week. At first it was hurt because I told myself I won’t feel full w/o meat. So not true… Last night he prepared an artichoke spaghetti dish (I think he got the idea from Rachel Ray). He made it w/ whole wheat spaghetti and used an EVOO and garlic sauce. It was really yummy and I didn’t miss meat at all.

Thanks Ladies, I have several ideas for Wednesday's dinner.
neethair
neethair

Back to top Go down

Post by SighSidhe 25th May 2010, 3:44 pm

vegetarian chilli!
you just use zuchini instead of meat..
i've made it a few times.. its tasty Smile
SighSidhe
SighSidhe

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleX 25th May 2010, 9:37 pm

Sighsidhe, this sounds tasty...do you have a specific recipe?
ElleX
ElleX

Back to top Go down

Post by dyadya 28th May 2010, 7:47 pm

vegetarian times has alot of fantastic recipes. Allrecipes.com also has alot of good recipes.

One thing I love is vegetable fried rice.
I usually use this recipe for the rice http://chinesefood.about.com/od/ricefried/r/basicfriedrice.htm it's really simple

Just saute some of your fav. vegetables and toss them in! I usually use corn, green beans, and spinach.

dyadya

Back to top Go down

Post by nattyblog 29th May 2010, 11:31 pm

Ummmm!! Great thread!

I'm a herbivore myself. I have the Student Go Vegan booklet and I love their easy recipe. I just change them to suit what I have in my cabinet (though most of the recipes are designed with "what's in your cabinet" in mind). I just had one of my faves tonight:

Portobella Burgers-sautee some garlic and green pepper in some olive oil, add the shrooms and get them just brown. Then add about a tbsp of tamari and a tbsp of some agave nectar or maple syrup and continue cooking for about five minutes. Tastes good with some dijon mustard on toasted wheat bread.

Although this didn't come from the book, I like spaghetti with mock italian tofurkey sausage mixed in. Tofurkey sausage isn't as chewy as I recall real meat is. But I like it a lot and it has a lot of flavor. I sautée the sausage with some garlic and green pepper and onions. On another burner I have the sauce heating up (this can be homemade or store bought-if store bought, I like a chunky garden vegetable kind mixed with a tomato basil kind as long as they're dairy-less (this may not be important to you though so get whichever you like should you try this). I like my sausage rounds to be a little browner than some. When they're done though, I add them to the sauce and season the sauce however way I like. Most times I add a little natural sweetener like cane sugar and some hot sauce. About a tablespoon of each. Some extra basil (I just like the taste of it), italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper. I throw this over a wheat pasta and I'm done.

I also like making a light veggie wrap using sautéed green and yellow zucchini. Sautéed again with garlic in some olive oil. Then, I just put them on a wheat tortilla with my fave italian dressing and some fix-ins.

Last thing is a great tahini spread on something-almost anything!! I like Isa Chandra Moskowitz's recipe for garlicky kale with tahini dressing over a mashed potato. It's delicious. The recipe is here: http://community.livejournal.com/easyrecipes/7630.html

If your grocers sell Annie's Natural Goddess Dressing (I use the kind with the tahini and no milk or anything like that in it-there is another version with it if you don't mind it), then it's a really good dressing to put over plain veggies or a salad. Or when you don't feel like mixing your own tahini dressing.

Anyway, love all the other ideas! Can't wait to try them!
nattyblog
nattyblog

http://naturalgeek.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sjoyreed 4th June 2010, 2:47 pm

We're meat eaters.

I don't feed my family beef (although I have it about 1x a month right after 'the monster' LOL)

Yellow rice (Mahatma) w/ black Beans (Bush) and Tilapia is one of our faves when I want to get away from our usual Chicken and Turkey. The beans and rice alone are a good dish to have. Sometimes I'll pair that with a iceberg tomato and cucumber salad with 'Facon Bits' (Imitation bacon bits), and cheese.

Also, at Akins food store, they have this Indian Butter Curry Paste - you mix with meat and 1 c of water. Well I just omit the meat, and eat it over rice or couscous. As for breakfast, I usually do some fruit, or a fruit/yogurt smoothie, an egg and toast. My dessert will consist of graham crackers and Peanut Butter or strawberries, bananas and a TBSP of cool whip.

Overall, my family is picky, so when I find a dish that works, I roll with it. But Rice and Broccoli are staples in my home, as are cantaloupes, bananas, apples, grapes, and strawberries (frozen or fresh)

allrecipies.com is a good resource that lets you pick and choose your ingredients.

Have Fun!
sjoyreed
sjoyreed

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 4th June 2010, 3:45 pm

I love all these great ideas! Some foods or items I haven't tried and some I have but you ladies are giving me new ways to prepare them!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilqis 10th June 2010, 1:15 pm

Here is one dish that I love! I cant remember the name, I think its called mahlabiya in Arabic, but not sure. Its basically a lentils, onions, and rice dish. Very easy to make. In one sautee pan cook/fry onions on medium heat until dark brown and sweet (aka carmelize..sorry, forgot that word for a moment) In another pot boil lentils until almost cooked (slightly soft) at that point add your rice and cook. When the rice and lentils are done mix with all of the onions + the olive oil you cooked them in. Add season salt, black pepper, and chopped fresh parsley. Please try this dish, it is simple but absolutely delicious. Trick is you must use ALOT of onions, the more teh merrier f u realy like onions, and they are cooked, almost deep sauteed in the olive oil. DOnt worry olive oil is good for you, and the lentils are dry and need the oil. Wish i had a picture to show, but this is a delicious and easy meal.
Other good vegetarian meal is cornmeal coocoo and fried fish, here's a recipe http://greenmuslimah.com/2010/04/coo-coo-baked-tilapia-dinner/
Good meatless breakfast/lunch/dinner Coconut Bake and Saltfish http://greenmuslimah.com/2010/06/coconut-roast-bake-saltfish-buljhol/
Oh, another yummy one i made with lentils one night, http://greenmuslimah.com/2010/05/lentils-rice/

Bilqis

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilqis 10th June 2010, 1:18 pm

sorry, one more note, you can reserve some onions to serve on top of the rice dish too. anotehr thing, i was vegetarian fr about 3 years, n one piece of advice i have is to lay off the meat substitutes. they are good for somethings and once in a while, but u can very quickly find yourself overloading on soy, which isn't what u want to do either. If you really miss that meaty feeling, try mushrooms, they are very nutritious, absorb flavor well, and are so yummy and juicy. Also try lots of pumpkins, squashes, etc and various beans.
ok, i hope u try some of the recipes n let me know what u think

Bilqis

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 10th June 2010, 5:25 pm

Thanks for the tips Bilqis! I love mushrooms but rarely buy them...gotta put it back on the grocery list! Yeah, I'm not so keen on the idea of meat substitutes and I was just hearing the other day something about estrogen in soy! Oy vay what's next?!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalnat 17th June 2010, 9:02 pm

Try lentil beans. I don't have any good recipes but they are delish!!
naturalnat
naturalnat

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 26th June 2010, 10:53 pm

These are some great ideas! I like to replace meat with mushrooms/tofu/tempeh. By marinating first, they taste even better with the rice/veggie dishes!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 27th June 2010, 5:47 pm

i think snacking on wal nuts and other nuts helps detract from wanting meat.

i love breakfast foods as meatless meals: grits with cheese, or oatmeal with milk. i also love baked potatoes with mayonaise and butter and salt ( i know, the things i add take away from the potatoe's healthiness!!!!!!!!!) and i like brown beans mixed with brown rice.

about veggie cheese: Where do you find it? what type is good?

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 27th June 2010, 9:07 pm

Daiya veggie cheese, is the best I've ever had. They sell it at whole foods and just started carrying packages at Ralph's (it you have them in your area). It's soy free and melts like you wouldn't believe!

Here's the site, you can put in your address:
http://www.daiyafoods.com/index.html
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 27th June 2010, 11:58 pm

thanks!

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next