Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Page 33 of 34 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by Juices-n-Berries on 7th March 2011, 1:50 am

NubieNatty wrote:im loving all the pics documentary movies, lol. u have some good length despite the heat damage part! i was laughin at ur mom not seein the length n still using the bad grease Razz u know old folks dont like change boooy!! her carrot top color is awesome n those curls are surely popping. did she see the vid cuz i can clearly see the growth!

i was scared of curl formers...were they easy to put in? and when are u comin back to do another vid.... bounce

She didn't see the vid. My mom hates pictures. She doesn't even know I put these on here. Lol... and the curlformers are soooooooo easy to use.

NhappyJackie wrote:Love the mini twists!!! But those curlformer 1st day results almost sold me,,,,and I definitely not a PJ!!! It looked so good and like it had a good hold. Please let us know if the pincurling helps next time.

Will do!

.:Eden:. wrote:Hey JnB!!!!! I am making my rounds after a long hiatus ^_^ Anyhoo, I bought a Curlformers set about a year ago, I should of kept it but I returned it. Now I want it again Crying or Very sad

Lol. Don't feel too bad. You can always repurchase.

MomnWife wrote:Loving the two styles. I am thinking about doing mini twists. How long did it take you to do them?

A whole day. But I did it while doing other stuff and I took breaks.

priceless wrote:hey jnb i love the two styles sorry the curl formers didn't last my cuz had the same problem. she hated that she wasted all that time putting thst style together and got day out of it. she did try pin curls and it work so what for her. she think that she didn't do the pin curls right so she said she try again at a later date

I wonder if anyone has had successful second day hair with these?

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Hey lil sis...

I'm loving your pictures. I really like your mini twists. Did you blow dry your hair then twisted, and what product did you use to twist with. Your twist out was to die for!!!

So I really like the curlformers as well...can you come to my hair?


I didn't blow dry. I out my hair in plaits first and let it dry. My hair was completely dry when I did it. I also think I combed through the pieces first before twisting. You are welcome to borrow my curlformers. Or I can come do it for you. As long as you do me some flat twists. Lol.

Nikcoils wrote:The mini twists are cute! You can also put the mini twist on the curlformers for a twist a curl look.

Thanks! I'll try that next time.
avatar
Juices-n-Berries

Posts : 2280
Join date : 2009-12-12
Age : 32
Location : Houston, TX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by Muz on 14th March 2011, 9:13 pm

I am so sorry to hear about the heat damage! Sad But I must say I LOVE your Avi pic!
avatar
Muz

Posts : 1021
Join date : 2009-12-14
Age : 35
Location : Columbus, Ohio

View user profile http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by KinkyNappyHappy on 15th March 2011, 2:17 pm

okay...we need to hook up. I'll flat twist your hair, and you can use the curlformers on mine!!

Did you enjoy Meta? They said that Saturday was off the chain. I had to work...so I missed it! Sad

Are you coming to Grand Lux Saturday? Hope so I can't wait to see you!!
avatar
KinkyNappyHappy

Posts : 4947
Join date : 2010-01-02
Location : Houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by iri9109 on 21st March 2011, 2:34 am

im so in love with those twists! the curlformer set was nice too.
avatar
iri9109

Posts : 831
Join date : 2010-01-03
Age : 27
Location : Buffalo, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by poeticlyspkng on 23rd March 2011, 3:03 pm

Hey JnB! Love the 2 styles after just catching up. with the curlformers, did you sit under a dryer?
avatar
poeticlyspkng

Posts : 1434
Join date : 2010-01-14
Age : 48
Location : Columbus, OH

View user profile http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Struggles, Revelations and Progress. And of course LOTS of pics

Post by Juices-n-Berries on 27th March 2011, 5:16 pm

So. It’s been a while. Bear with me as this update will be very long. So, I figure that I will start with the bad stuff first and work my way toward the good. I have to tell you that I have become completely and utterly frustrated with my hair. Why you might ask? Well I’ve been having styling issues. I suppose I thought these things would get better with length. But it hasn’t. No style I do ever turns out the way that I want it to. Now, that’s not to say that I walk around with my hair looking bad. I don’t. But it frustrates me that my braidouts and twistouts have not been turning out good at all and they always end up in some type of puff. When I first went natural. This didn’t bother me. I thought it was great how every day was different with natural hair and how even when it came out bad I could easily make it good. But the honeymoon is over. And this is no longer ok. Now, on the bright side. These frustrations have lead me to some realizations about my hair. I have begun to study it more to better understand why I’m having the problems that I’m having so that I can solve them. And I’ve come to the following conclusions.

I have fine hair. Yes. Me. Yes. Don’t give me that look. Lol. I once thought the same thing you’re thinking right now. You see this big ol bush on top of my head and the last thing you think of is fine. Lol. But allow me to explain. I know this is beating a dead horse but there truly is a difference between texture, density, and curl pattern. My hair is extremely dense. I’ve always known this. And my curl pattern is about a 4a/b. But I’ve noticed that my twists always look thin. As much hair as I have you would think my twists would be luscious. But they never are. In fact, even when I try to do them bigger, they look po (yea I said po, as in poor). Well, after careful analysis, I realized that each individual strand of my hair is fine. It’s barely there. In fact if I take out just a section of hair and separate it and it’s fully stretched, you would see just how lacking the individual strands are. Now, alot of people with fine hair that isn’t as dense have problems with their twists looking thin, and they also complain that they look scalpy. Well the only reason I don’t get the scalpiness is because my hair is so dense that there’s enough hairs present at the root that cover any parts. I’ve always wondered why my hair looks so thick at the root of a twist, but then when it becomes pulled taut into the twist, it isn’t full. And then, unless a do mini mini twists, most of my twistouts look horrible. And I have yet to have a successful braidout. Not because there’s no definition. The definition is perfect! But the spacing and the fact that the hair isn’t full makes them a disaster. This is why. Now, I’ve heard many people with fine hair usually don’t wear twists for this reason and resort to wash and gos. However, since I am still a type 4, wearing wash and gos would probably not be the best option for me. I do LOVE my micro twists. That's because there's so many of them the fact that they're skinny isn't an issue and because the parts are small I don't get the puffy root, thin twist thing. They just take soooo long to do. Lol.

Photobucket
Wispy fine hair

Photobucket
fine strands. the ones that look thick are actually multiple strands clumped because I'd just run through it with product and comb.


To make matters worse. I have another issue. I will touch on this briefly but only from a hair perspective because I don’t want to go into too much depth about this right now. I may have briefly discussed this before, but I suffer from a disorder called trichotillomania. This is a chronic hair pulling disorder. And I’ve had it for at least 8 years. As a result I have a circular patch of hair in the back of my head that is missing and it is about 2 inches in circumference. And knowing how dense my hair is I’m sure you can imagine that missing that whole section equates me missing ALOT of hair that should be on my head. This was very easy to cover when I had my relaxed hair because it just hung down over it. But it’s been quite a struggle while natural. Fortunately, I have not had a bad pulling spell recently, so all the hair has grown in. But it ranges from only about 1/2 an inch -3 inches. When of course the rest of my hair is much longer. I thought a couple of things. Since I bced I figured that the hair would just grow in at a similar rate as the rest and catch up somewhat and not look so bad. Unfortunately this is not the case. Even when I do not pull, the hair does not grow as long as the rest of the hair. I think the follicles may be permanently damaged. :-/ I also thought that when my hair got longer, it would start to hang. Thus covering the spot. However, my hair is still growing out instead of down. And since the hair is longer it sticks out even further. Making the spot even more noticeable. That is another reason my hair always ends up in a puff. When I pull my hair taut together, it hides it. In fact, the reason I originally started doing my signature style (the high puff with the bang) is because when I pull my hair way up, it covers the spot. But unfortunately my edges are starting to suffer from all the puffing. This is also the REAL reason I don’t wear wash and gos. I hide behind the texture n knots argument (which is partly true) but my wngoes actually look great (I’ll post pics) However, when I wear a wng my hair shrinks and it’s very harder to cover the spot than when my hair is more strectched.

Photobucket
the spot during a bad spell

Photobucket
wash and go and whole patch of hair missing. i remedied this with hair pins

Photobucket
the spot still peeks through with twists. i try to part around it, but it doesn't always work

Photobucket
my suffering edges. the puff has got to go.


Ok. But enough negativity. I don’t want anyone to think this is a woe is me post. It’s not. I’m just sharing some of the revelations and struggles I’ve had. So, what is the resolve? I’ve been doing some research on people with fine natural hair. I’m going to do that to look for tips on how I can get my styles to turn out better. I’m also glad that since my hair has gotten longer, I’m able to do more creative styles like roll tuck and pin ups. I also think I’m going to start blowing out my hair on cool before styling. This should give me some stretch at the root which might make my hair appear more uniform. It also might stretch out my hair so that I can make it go more downward and cover the balding spot. And finally, I’m going back to the salon for a while. Because my styles never turn out as planned, I’d just like to see my hair in all it’s glory at it’s optimum state. Stylists don’t usually let you leave the chair looking bad. So I figure they will deal with whatever issues I have (the spot, the fineness, etc) and have xal looking wonderful. I just need to find some money now. Lol.

In other good news. I have finally started to simply my routine. Let me tell ya’ll all what I used to do on a normal wash day (as in no special treatments like prepoos, henna, or protein)

section dry hair and remove shed hair with oil
Apply shampoo to one section of hair
Ring out
Apply buffer conditioner (usually VO5 MM)
finger comb hair
rinse
repeat for all other sections
apply regular conditioner to each section (usually Aussie Moist or YTCucumbers)
detangle each setion
rinse
apply deep conditioner to each section (ORS Hair Pudding, Darcy’s, Shea Moisture)
rinse
apply leave in conditioner (and other products)
style

Ok. So what I figured out is that I can eliminate the most time consuming steps 8 and 9 by detangling at either the deep conditioning step or the leave in styling step. That extra conditioning detangle is so unncessary. I always wondered why people look for DTs and leave ins with slip. But it never occured to me to detangle at this step. I’ve been doing this lately and I think it’s great. It cuts down on time in the shower and it really was just unnecessary. Because I figure that when I detangle that early in the process, my hair has already started to tangle some by the time I get to the styling step. In addition, that was entirely too many conditionings. There’s no need to condition and then deep condition. Lol. So now I’m searching for more DTs and leave ins with good slip which will make this go easier.

Product update: I've REALLY cut back on my PJism. (I'm also broke so that'll do it too lol) I really love Oyin right now. It's the most consistent and really moisturizes my hair. I use the Hair Dew, JnB or Frank Juice, and Burnt Sugar. I also just ordered the Shine and Define and the Poo Bar. I tried the KBB poo bar. I didn't think I would like it but I REALLY did. So I'm gonna try Oyin. I still use in store products. But as far as online ordering, I think I'm gonna be sticking with them.

Anywho. I know this is long. Thanks for listening and bearing with me though. Going natural is still the best thing I could've done. And I still love it. I'm just trying to get over these few hurdles.



I'll leave you with a video of some recents pics of my hair in some of it's great moments.


Last edited by Juices-n-Berries on 27th March 2011, 10:06 pm; edited 6 times in total
avatar
Juices-n-Berries

Posts : 2280
Join date : 2009-12-12
Age : 32
Location : Houston, TX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by tamtam7 on 27th March 2011, 5:40 pm

Absolutely love the micro twists and up dos. I love your glasses too. Look great on you!
avatar
tamtam7

Posts : 324
Join date : 2009-11-06
Age : 41
Location : North Carolina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by Kea::curls on 27th March 2011, 6:10 pm

Hey JNB!

before you let go of the puffs, have you considered putting flat twists, 2 strand twists, or braids in the front? i rely on puffs & buns alot for work & will usually do at least one big flat twist across the front to protect the fine hairs on my hairline.

I just cut these same steps out of my hair wash day! i dunno why but just this past weekend i had the same exact revelation Smile i also stopped using the "buffer" condish after applying my shampoo. This weekend was the 2nd wash day in a row that i've done this &&& so far i haven't seen any negative effects. Good luck w/continuing to work with (and not against) your hair!
avatar
Kea::curls

Posts : 445
Join date : 2009-11-16
Age : 30
Location : Florida

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by tamtam7 on 27th March 2011, 6:14 pm

Oh! And I wanted to comment on your post about fine hair. I feel your pain, I too have fine hair and have noticed that my twists look a little po. I tried the bigger twists but they just make me look like miss celie. I have found that the mini twists work best for me because it doesn't look quite as color purplish, plus they last longer.

Just stay positive because your hair is fabulous!
avatar
tamtam7

Posts : 324
Join date : 2009-11-06
Age : 41
Location : North Carolina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by Juices-n-Berries on 27th March 2011, 6:18 pm

tamtam7 wrote:Absolutely love the micro twists and up dos. I love your glasses too. Look great on you!

Kea wrote:Hey JNB!

before you let go of the puffs, have you considered putting flat twists, 2 strand twists, or braids in the front? i rely on puffs & buns alot for work & will usually do at least one big flat twist across the front to protect the fine hairs on my hairline.

I just cut these same steps out of my hair wash day! i dunno why but just this past weekend i had the same exact revelation Smile i also stopped using the "buffer" condish after applying my shampoo. This weekend was the 2nd wash day in a row that i've done this &&& so far i haven't seen any negative effects. Good luck w/continuing to work with (and not against) your hair!

Well I can't flat twist or braid. Lol. But when I do have time, I put a twist out bang in the front so that helps to alleviate some of the stress from the bands. I'm also trying to find another way to make my puffs instead of using the stretched headbands. I never figured out the knee high thing but I think it may work better. Also, I'm so glad I eliminated these steps. I might try eliminating the buffer step as well. I'll let you know how it goes. And thanks. That's exactly the goal. Work with and not against. :-)

tamtam7 wrote:Oh! And I wanted to comment on your post about fine hair. I feel your pain, I too have fine hair and have noticed that my twists look a little po. I tried the bigger twists but they just make me look like miss celie. I have found that the mini twists work best for me because it doesn't look quite as color purplish, plus they last longer.

Just stay positive because your hair is fabulous!

Yes chile. Miss Celie indeed. Lol. And yes the mini twists do help to remedy the situation. I'll just have to buckle down and do them. And thanks! :-)
avatar
Juices-n-Berries

Posts : 2280
Join date : 2009-12-12
Age : 32
Location : Houston, TX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 27th March 2011, 6:33 pm

Hey JnB! I really liked your mini twists and curlformer set. I have fine hair also so I have stayed away from wearing any type of twists out and about. I may try the mini twists since yours looked so good. Thank you for the imspiration. I know you didn't ask for any advice but I have done quite a few rollersets... You may want to try seperating the curls to achieve a fuller look. I have found that the curls won't go away as long as you have used a good setting agent. Recently I tried Elasta QP setting foam and AVG for a perm rod set. (One squirt of the EQP and a dime sized amount of AVG, rub together in hands, and apply to section of hair) I am currently on day 3. Anywho, I love your puffs! I really hope you can find a remedy for your edges and patch in the back. I look forward to following your progress!
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 32
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by jlowman1 on 27th March 2011, 8:14 pm

Your styles look great JnB but I can definitely understand your issues with fine hair. My hair is fine as well but not dense so wearing twists for me is out of the question. Even my flat twists are spacy.

I also agree that with length does not make things easier. If anything its much harder for me because my hair gets sooo tangled that I end up wanting to do a BC all over again lol

P.S. Love the new avi! Very Happy
avatar
jlowman1

Posts : 1415
Join date : 2009-11-20
Age : 29
Location : Alabama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by sweetdrk1 on 27th March 2011, 10:08 pm

Hey lil Sis!

First my niece pulls something awful. She HAS to wear a wig so I know your struggles. Next, the fine dense hair *raises hand* this is why I could NEVER achieve a Lynn twist no matter what I did. Scalpy is the name of the game so much so that it could easily be thought that I have a bald spot! I applaud you for recognizing and identifying YOUR. Hair and embracing itM bravo my friend!
avatar
sweetdrk1

Posts : 8126
Join date : 2009-10-23
Age : 52
Location : Cliffton, NJ

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by Juices-n-Berries on 28th March 2011, 12:07 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:Hey JnB! I really liked your mini twists and curlformer set. I have fine hair also so I have stayed away from wearing any type of twists out and about. I may try the mini twists since yours looked so good. Thank you for the imspiration. I know you didn't ask for any advice but I have done quite a few rollersets... You may want to try seperating the curls to achieve a fuller look. I have found that the curls won't go away as long as you have used a good setting agent. Recently I tried Elasta QP setting foam and AVG for a perm rod set. (One squirt of the EQP and a dime sized amount of AVG, rub together in hands, and apply to section of hair) I am currently on day 3. Anywho, I love your puffs! I really hope you can find a remedy for your edges and patch in the back. I look forward to following your progress!

I'm ALWAYS open to suggestions. I will have to check out the setting foam. Quick question, what's AVG?

jlowman1 wrote:Your styles look great JnB but I can definitely understand your issues with fine hair. My hair is fine as well but not dense so wearing twists for me is out of the question. Even my flat twists are spacy.

I also agree that with length does not make things easier. If anything its much harder for me because my hair gets sooo tangled that I end up wanting to do a BC all over again lol

P.S. Love the new avi! Very Happy

I've though of BCing again too. But I'm gonna wait at least another year... and thanks!

sweetdrk1 wrote:Hey lil Sis!

First my niece pulls something awful. She HAS to wear a wig so I know your struggles. Next, the fine dense hair *raises hand* this is why I could NEVER achieve a Lynn twist no matter what I did. Scalpy is the name of the game so much so that it could easily be thought that I have a bald spot! I applaud you for recognizing and identifying YOUR. Hair and embracing itM bravo my friend!

I'm so glad to hear you say this Sweet. I didn't even think anyone would know what it was. It isn't too common and people don't understand it. Actually, most of the people I know IRL don't even know about it. Well, they've probably noticed the spot sometimes, but only about 4 people know that I do it. But here I am putting it all out on CN lol. And yesssss you took the words out of my mouth with the Lynn twists. It always puzzled me because my hair is almost the same length as Lynn's and it appears to be a similar density, but I'm guessing the difference is because her strands are thicker than mine. Ahh well. It's ok. I'm gonna just rock what I got. And thanks. I'm just trying to grow (physically and mentally)
avatar
Juices-n-Berries

Posts : 2280
Join date : 2009-12-12
Age : 32
Location : Houston, TX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by sweetdrk1 on 28th March 2011, 12:56 pm

Smooches!
avatar
sweetdrk1

Posts : 8126
Join date : 2009-10-23
Age : 52
Location : Cliffton, NJ

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 28th March 2011, 1:07 pm

Hey JnB! These are the products I was referring to for the roller/curlformer sets. AVG = Aloe Vera Gel.



Here are the ingredients to both:

Elasta QP Design Foam:
Water (Aqua), Polyquarternium-11, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Biotin (Vitamin H), Linoleic Acid (Vitamin F), Persia Gratissima (Avocado) Oil [Contains Vitamins B2, D, A, E, K, and Potassium], Cetrimonium Chloride, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Octoxynol-13, Parfum (Fragrance), Citric Acid, Benzophenone-4.

Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel:
Aloe Vera Gel, Triethanolamine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carbomer 940, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydrantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea


By the time I put these on I already have applied my leave in and sealed with my oil. I'm not sure how or if that effects the hold any but it doesn't seem to hurt. Anywho, HTH! Let us know how it turns out for you!
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 32
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by krazy coils on 28th March 2011, 1:24 pm

Hey JNB,

I'm another fan of your mini-twists. I just don't have the patience to sit and do them myself (lol). I am one of those who likes to detangle when I have my deep conditioner in my hair to cut down on all of those steps. Giovanni SAS is one that has a lot of slip if your hair likes protein. Also Elucence MBC (have to order online). I usually add oils to the conditioners also to help with detangling.
avatar
krazy coils

Posts : 2224
Join date : 2009-11-29
Age : 43
Location : Lawrenceville, GA

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by Lynnieluve on 28th March 2011, 1:26 pm

Great update! Thank you for sharing your hair struggles, revelations and progress. I know it will help someone else.

Now as for the fine hair, believe it or not, I too have fine strands. They are mostly around the perimeter of my head so I have po looking twist too. The strands in the crown are medium. I have a few thick strands too. As my hair gets longer, the thinner it looks. It was like that in my permie days but I thought it was the relaxer. I am now finding, that's just the way my hair is. Neutral

That's why if I wear medium/large twist, they always end up in a pin up do. If I wear my twist down, they are in small/medium size or mini twist.

That's why you guys haven't seen many pics of my twist lately Wink Only the close ups and the back of my head.

I figured out a few months ago that the "extra" conditioning wasn't necessary. I now only have two rinse out conditioners....Aussie Moist and Giovanni SAS...I use them to cowash, which I don't do often anymore.

Good luck on your continued discovery of your hair. I am still learning myself. Very Happy

_________________
Self BC: August 9, 2009
"God will never put more on you than you can bear"

My Curl Street Journal

My Fotki

My Youtube Channel
avatar
Lynnieluve

Posts : 8638
Join date : 2009-10-30
Age : 40
Location : Mississippi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by dajewel on 28th March 2011, 2:51 pm

hey there!

i am a big fan of ur mini twists, too!

i too have more fine hair than i thought, too. However, i do have lots of medium and thick strands equally mixed in. i had to battle with the weirdest fungal infection that literally made all the hair in the back of my head look like i gave myself a buzz cut, and as a result 1) i had no hair (not even 1/2 an inch and it took a longgggggggggggggg time for my hair to grow back so long that i thought it would never grow back. period.) to even do a comb twist and 2) my twists out look utterly ridiculous in the back of my head up until barely just recently (and it still hasn't filled in completely) and so i hope what i have to say helps u.

i have learned and i know u may not want to hear this, but u have to be patient with time passing long enough for ur hair hanging better. remember when my hair stood up like your hair a couple years ago? my hair is just now starting to hang. in the mean time, i agree with everyone else that u can try different styles that are equally hot and sexy and chic. the only way i was able to get thru those dark days with my hair was to get my hair mini two strand twisted and then set on perm rods:


I lived and died in this style for about a year. i think this style would look sassy on u. it made a hot and sexy style and camouflaged the fact my hair was taking forever to grow back. i have to admit that that style was HAWT imo, and many times i think about how i can get that look again without cutting my hair. with that in mind, still be careful with u let do ur hair.
avatar
dajewel

Posts : 1760
Join date : 2009-10-23
Age : 36
Location : orlando, florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by priceless on 28th March 2011, 3:55 pm

Man girly reading your post about your revelation i have made some of my own. I didn'ty realize until reading your post that we have so much in common with our hair that it was shocking. I have had thin hair all my life i thought that it was just the perm that made my hair thin. I soon figured that it is not the case my hair is just thin. It is also densed. Looking at individual strands by themselves make my hair seem that it is barely there. I can do wash and go puffs that is my signature style. other styles i am challenged at also. My twist if not mini is a hot mess which i never really like. The mini twist is the only thing that really work. i never gotten a braid out to work at all to this day. My twist also do not last long at all. I hear alot of people say they can have twist in for 2 weeks. they don't get that much time on my head friz take over for me. Its a joke if i think that i can try having them for a week. i can have twist for 3 days top with out no friz after that they a mess. Oh and mini twist out only last one day to be really honest.
i will also do research on thin fine hair to see if other things work for me. I have been putting castor oil in alot of my mixes to see it that will thicken my hair but i don't feel that it is doing so it is just making it grow. I say that time and patience will pay off eventully. I have been frustrated also with my hair but all i think about is locs and love those kids with know hair that are waiting for people to donate. My goal is to be able to donate one day ahh it will take forever but i been willing to take the challenge.
avatar
priceless

Posts : 621
Join date : 2010-05-07
Age : 36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by Juices-n-Berries on 28th March 2011, 10:29 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:Hey JnB! These are the products I was referring to for the roller/curlformer sets. AVG = Aloe Vera Gel.



Here are the ingredients to both:

Elasta QP Design Foam:
Water (Aqua), Polyquarternium-11, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Biotin (Vitamin H), Linoleic Acid (Vitamin F), Persia Gratissima (Avocado) Oil [Contains Vitamins B2, D, A, E, K, and Potassium], Cetrimonium Chloride, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Octoxynol-13, Parfum (Fragrance), Citric Acid, Benzophenone-4.

Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel:
Aloe Vera Gel, Triethanolamine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carbomer 940, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydrantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea


By the time I put these on I already have applied my leave in and sealed with my oil. I'm not sure how or if that effects the hold any but it doesn't seem to hurt. Anywho, HTH! Let us know how it turns out for you!

I had a blonde moment. Lol. I know what AVG is. In fact, I have 2 bottles. One FOTH and the natural one from Whole Foods. Thanks for being so thorough in your post though. That foam definitely looks like something I'd want to try.

krazy coils wrote:Hey JNB,

I'm another fan of your mini-twists. I just don't have the patience to sit and do them myself (lol). I am one of those who likes to detangle when I have my deep conditioner in my hair to cut down on all of those steps. Giovanni SAS is one that has a lot of slip if your hair likes protein. Also Elucence MBC (have to order online). I usually add oils to the conditioners also to help with detangling.

I just ordered an Elucence shampoo. I thought about getting a condish but I passed. Maybe I should've gotten it. Lol.

Lynnieluve wrote:Great update! Thank you for sharing your hair struggles, revelations and progress. I know it will help someone else.

Now as for the fine hair, believe it or not, I too have fine strands. They are mostly around the perimeter of my head so I have po looking twist too. The strands in the crown are medium. I have a few thick strands too. As my hair gets longer, the thinner it looks. It was like that in my permie days but I thought it was the relaxer. I am now finding, that's just the way my hair is. Neutral

That's why if I wear medium/large twist, they always end up in a pin up do. If I wear my twist down, they are in small/medium size or mini twist.

That's why you guys haven't seen many pics of my twist lately Wink Only the close ups and the back of my head.

I figured out a few months ago that the "extra" conditioning wasn't necessary. I now only have two rinse out conditioners....Aussie Moist and Giovanni SAS...I use them to cowash, which I don't do often anymore.

Good luck on your continued discovery of your hair. I am still learning myself. Very Happy

Thanks Lynn. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Lol. And yes, pin ups are indeed my friend.

dajewel wrote:hey there!

i am a big fan of ur mini twists, too!

i too have more fine hair than i thought, too. However, i do have lots of medium and thick strands equally mixed in. i had to battle with the weirdest fungal infection that literally made all the hair in the back of my head look like i gave myself a buzz cut, and as a result 1) i had no hair (not even 1/2 an inch and it took a longgggggggggggggg time for my hair to grow back so long that i thought it would never grow back. period.) to even do a comb twist and 2) my twists out look utterly ridiculous in the back of my head up until barely just recently (and it still hasn't filled in completely) and so i hope what i have to say helps u.

i have learned and i know u may not want to hear this, but u have to be patient with time passing long enough for ur hair hanging better. remember when my hair stood up like your hair a couple years ago? my hair is just now starting to hang. in the mean time, i agree with everyone else that u can try different styles that are equally hot and sexy and chic. the only way i was able to get thru those dark days with my hair was to get my hair mini two strand twisted and then set on perm rods:


I lived and died in this style for about a year. i think this style would look sassy on u. it made a hot and sexy style and camouflaged the fact my hair was taking forever to grow back. i have to admit that that style was HAWT imo, and many times i think about how i can get that look again without cutting my hair. with that in mind, still be careful with u let do ur hair.

Thanks. Next time I do my mini twists, I will set them (on curlformers instead of rods only cuz that's what I have lol) I appreciate the suggestion and your encouragement.

priceless wrote:Man girly reading your post about your revelation i have made some of my own. I didn'ty realize until reading your post that we have so much in common with our hair that it was shocking. I have had thin hair all my life i thought that it was just the perm that made my hair thin. I soon figured that it is not the case my hair is just thin. It is also densed. Looking at individual strands by themselves make my hair seem that it is barely there. I can do wash and go puffs that is my signature style. other styles i am challenged at also. My twist if not mini is a hot mess which i never really like. The mini twist is the only thing that really work. i never gotten a braid out to work at all to this day. My twist also do not last long at all. I hear alot of people say they can have twist in for 2 weeks. they don't get that much time on my head friz take over for me. Its a joke if i think that i can try having them for a week. i can have twist for 3 days top with out no friz after that they a mess. Oh and mini twist out only last one day to be really honest.
i will also do research on thin fine hair to see if other things work for me. I have been putting castor oil in alot of my mixes to see it that will thicken my hair but i don't feel that it is doing so it is just making it grow. I say that time and patience will pay off eventully. I have been frustrated also with my hair but all i think about is locs and love those kids with know hair that are waiting for people to donate. My goal is to be able to donate one day ahh it will take forever but i been willing to take the challenge.

I'm glad my post was able to help you. I think you wanting to donate is awesome! You should definitely go for it.
avatar
Juices-n-Berries

Posts : 2280
Join date : 2009-12-12
Age : 32
Location : Houston, TX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by CurlyChefRobin on 28th March 2011, 11:14 pm

Thanks so much for being real JnB! I really need to take some time and see what type of hair I have. Fine, medium, porosity - it's all so confusing to me!
avatar
CurlyChefRobin

Posts : 615
Join date : 2010-05-08
Age : 40
Location : Cleveland Hts., OH

View user profile http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by Juices-n-Berries on 29th March 2011, 1:54 am

CurlyChefRobin wrote:Thanks so much for being real JnB! I really need to take some time and see what type of hair I have. Fine, medium, porosity - it's all so confusing to me!

Once you do this is will really help you understand why it does what it does and how to do it. Here's a website that really helped break the porosity stuff down.

http://naturalselectionblog.com/2011/02/23/so-fine-porosity-and-why-it-matters/
avatar
Juices-n-Berries

Posts : 2280
Join date : 2009-12-12
Age : 32
Location : Houston, TX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by wyldhoney on 29th March 2011, 5:35 am

Hi J&B,

I just wanted to thank you for sharing. If there's one thing I've realised is that this hair journey comes with more ups and downs than a day at Six Flags.

I too have thin hair and I have just learned to live with the skinny twists. I've taken up the attitude well this is my hair and I've got to learn how to deal with it. It doesn't stop me from having hair envy (always drooling over Lynn's photos), but I don't love my scraggly little twists any less.

Do you like faux- /fro- hawks? That would be a good option for covering your spot along with giving your edges a slight break. I feel like the bobby pins would be less pulling than the headband, especially if you don't rock it super slicked back and gelled into submission.

I wish you the best on your fine-hair journey. I hope you get comfort from knowing that so many of us are on similar paths!
avatar
wyldhoney

Posts : 214
Join date : 2009-10-26
Age : 36
Location : St. Lucia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by Juices-n-Berries on 29th March 2011, 1:15 pm

wyldhoney wrote:Hi J&B,

I just wanted to thank you for sharing. If there's one thing I've realised is that this hair journey comes with more ups and downs than a day at Six Flags.

I too have thin hair and I have just learned to live with the skinny twists. I've taken up the attitude well this is my hair and I've got to learn how to deal with it. It doesn't stop me from having hair envy (always drooling over Lynn's photos), but I don't love my scraggly little twists any less.

Do you like faux- /fro- hawks? That would be a good option for covering your spot along with giving your edges a slight break. I feel like the bobby pins would be less pulling than the headband, especially if you don't rock it super slicked back and gelled into submission.

I wish you the best on your fine-hair journey. I hope you get comfort from knowing that so many of us are on similar paths!

Fro hawks are a great idea! I used to do them all the time when my hair was shorter, but I haven't done it in a while. I will definitely try that next time.
avatar
Juices-n-Berries

Posts : 2280
Join date : 2009-12-12
Age : 32
Location : Houston, TX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggles, Revelations, Progress, and of course LOTS of pics

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 34 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum