CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too Much Protein??

4 posters

Go down

Too Much Protein?? Empty Too Much Protein??

Post by BlakButterfli 7th May 2010, 5:40 pm

Ok, I posted this in the general forum and got no response, so I'm hoping for one here!

I get into this random moods with my hair and last night was no exception. I decided I wanted to straighten my hair and in trying to protect it from heat damage, I did a 2-Step Protein Treatment with Aphogee.

So, this morning, after a bootcamp workout and Texas heat, my hair was a frizzy mess and I decided to wash it and get my little coils back (I have 4a hair, it's soft, thin and fine.) The crux is this...

...I had planned on doing a Henna treatment this weekend. I want to strengthen my hair and add some color to it. But, would that be too much protein for my hair if I henna this weekend? From what I gather, henna is very similiar to a protein treatment, so should I just wait?

Thanks!
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Too Much Protein?? Empty Re: Too Much Protein??

Post by R2D2 7th May 2010, 5:53 pm

How does it feel now? Dry? No breakage? Are you still planning to straighten? I would hold off on that until you've got the henna done and your hair feels moisturised.

To be conservative, I would probably co-wash every day to keep on infusing moisture and then defer the henna to the weekend after this one. Aphogee 2 step is pretty strong right? I've only ever done the 2 min version.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonezy 7th May 2010, 6:50 pm

I would think Aphogee 2-step (the one your supposed to sit under the dryer with & hardens) is stronger than henna---I read about henna being protien etc.. and stopped my aphogee treatments---after several months, I didn't have the same results keeping my hair strong w/o using aphogee. So I'm back to using aphogee--and not doing henna as much.

I would wait a few weeks to to the henna just to be safe since henna is said to have protien-- you don't want to over load.

Side bar: You mentioned using aphogee to protect from heat damage befoe you straighened. I would say don't rely soley on aphogee w/ heat use--as it's not promoted to be a heat protectant--so still use an actual heat protectant when straightening even if you are doing the aphogee treatment prior.
Jonezy
Jonezy

http://www.bleucoiffure.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 7th May 2010, 8:59 pm

Jonezy, Henna acts in similar ways like a protein which is why many people speak of it like a protein on henna boards but strictly speaking it isn't a protein. Proteins are made up of chains of animo acid molecules whereas henna has hennotannic molecules. That is probably why you didn't get the same results as when you used the Aphogee 2 step.

However, because they have similar effects then taking care with the timing of either henna or aphogee is wise.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 8th May 2010, 12:38 am

Re: Too Much Protein??

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] by R2D2 Today at 3:53 pm

How does it feel now? Dry? No breakage? Are you still planning to straighten? I would hold off on that until you've got the henna done and your hair feels moisturised.

To be conservative, I would probably co-wash every day to keep on infusing moisture and then defer the henna to the weekend after this one. Aphogee 2 step is pretty strong right? I've only ever done the 2 min version.

No, my hair is not dry at all. I didn't have a hood dryer so I used my hand dryer to "harden" the protein from the Aphogee. I am not planning on straightening my hair again - that urge has passed! lol

The Aphogee made my hair VERY hard, but I was expecting that. But, I brought a sample pack that came with a moisturizing conditioner. My hair feels fine.
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 8th May 2010, 4:27 pm

I agree with spacing out your applications. I have heard one consistent thing though - moisturize with Aphogee or any heavy duty protein treatment, moisturize with Henna.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down