Sour Cream for Manageability

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sour Cream for Manageability

Post by JORIE on 24th October 2009, 11:14 am

Has anyone used sour cream or sour cream mixed with lemons to loosen or define their natural curl pattern for manageability? I know some naturals who have a very tight curl pattern and just loosening a little bit would help with detangling and breakage. If you have used sour cream or something else natural, what were the results and were you pleased or disappointed either way (too loose vs. Not loose enough vs. No change at all). Thanks curlies!

JORIE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sour Cream for Manageability

Post by naturalbeauty on 24th October 2009, 12:43 pm

I haven't used sour cream nor heard of using that to loosen curls (until now!) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] However, I have used Henna which is natural and that loosened my curls. In fact it loosened my tight curls a little too much so I haven't used it in a few months trying to give my curls time to revert back a little bit (not really sure if they will or not). But I love Henna and will be doing another application again within the next month!!!!

naturalbeauty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 on 24th October 2009, 1:06 pm

I will be following this one because my curls are so very tightly coiled!!

sweetdrk1

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE on 24th October 2009, 8:52 pm

Naturalbeauty - thanks for the reply and suggestion. I have used henna twice so far and have not seen any loosening. How many times did you use it before you noticed the change? Your baby is so adorable!

Sweetdrk1 - thanks for your reply as well. I came across the information and was just wondering if any of the curlynikki readers tried it too. I will be trying it and posting results. Maybe we can compare notes. And by the way, your hair looks lovely.

JORIE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gammainme on 26th October 2009, 12:13 pm

I am telling you, we come up w/ some very interesting methods to do our hair- makes me chuckle. The sour cream is new for me but I heard about the coconut cream “relaxer” – essentially it’s a DT w/ coconut oil. I have never tried it although ill experience with anything (natural of course) just to loosen these coils a tiny bitJ

I am still new to henna and have only done it 4xs in 4 months so im still on the fence about it.

gammainme

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE on 28th October 2009, 8:53 pm

Well, I made sure my hair was clean. I applied regular sour cream (not low fat) to my hair in sections like a relaxer from root to tip. I put on a plastic shower cap and left it on for an hour. I rinsed it out and it was beyond soft. So easy to comb out and detangle. I did not notice much of a loosening until it was dry. I applied some olive oil to seal the moisture and braided. When it was dry, it was like I had blow dried my hair! I was shocked. My hair was elongated so it did not appear as short. I love my curls, but the shrinkage is unreal. This really helped. It was like a super duper conditioner. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

JORIE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gammainme on 28th October 2009, 9:53 pm

JORIE wrote:Well, I made sure my hair was clean. I applied regular sour cream (not low fat) to my hair in sections like a relaxer from root to tip. I put on a plastic shower cap and left it on for an hour. I rinsed it out and it was beyond soft. So easy to comb out and detangle. I did not notice much of a loosening until it was dry. I applied some olive oil to seal the moisture and braided. When it was dry, it was like I had blow dried my hair! I was shocked. My hair was elongated so it did not appear as short. I love my curls, but the shrinkage is unreal. This really helped. It was like a super duper conditioner. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wow Jorie! thanks for the review- do you have pictures? what is your hair type? and what do you generally use for DT? I think i might do this after I henna my hair- you have raised my curiosity!

gammainme

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 on 28th October 2009, 10:21 pm

JORIE wrote:Naturalbeauty - thanks for the reply and suggestion. I have used henna twice so far and have not seen any loosening. How many times did you use it before you noticed the change? Your baby is so adorable!

Sweetdrk1 - thanks for your reply as well. I came across the information and was just wondering if any of the curlynikki readers tried it too. I will be trying it and posting results. Maybe we can compare notes. And by the way, your hair looks lovely.

Thanks sis! Very Happy I am eagerly anticipating the results!

sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 on 28th October 2009, 10:22 pm

JORIE wrote:Well, I made sure my hair was clean. I applied regular sour cream (not low fat) to my hair in sections like a relaxer from root to tip. I put on a plastic shower cap and left it on for an hour. I rinsed it out and it was beyond soft. So easy to comb out and detangle. I did not notice much of a loosening until it was dry. I applied some olive oil to seal the moisture and braided. When it was dry, it was like I had blow dried my hair! I was shocked. My hair was elongated so it did not appear as short. I love my curls, but the shrinkage is unreal. This really helped. It was like a super duper conditioner. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

ok pics please!!!

sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE on 28th October 2009, 10:32 pm

Sorry ya'll. I did not take any pics. My hair type is 4b. I will take pics next time.

gammainme-I use Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil (cannot recall the exact name). It comes in a small packet. I don't have any left or I would tell you the exact name. But note, this time, I did not use a deep conditioner after the sour cream. Just a touch of olive oil to seal. Hmm, I will have to deep condition next time to see how my hair responds.

JORIE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gammainme on 28th October 2009, 10:42 pm

@ Jorie- well i will try it this weekend- thanks again Jorie

gammainme

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE on 29th October 2009, 11:32 am

You are so welcome. Look it up on the internet too. I had forgotten to mention that I did put a conditioner in after it was all rinsed out (HE Hello Hydration) just for 2 min. I did not deep condition but did condition. Sorry for the omission.

JORIE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wild curls raquelle on 30th October 2009, 4:06 am

Girl you know you wrong for this. I was sitting here with an experiment on my head as I read this. I guess I try this next week.

wild curls raquelle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Afrosaxon on 9th November 2009, 1:03 am

Hey everyone im a 3b-c fine, and I did the coconut milk for a deep conditioner or co wash. I mixed it with lime juice(for cleaning properties) and oh my! my hair became 2c-3a! I was like what the? my hair was not realy greasy just realy lank moist and soft(but not overconditionerd) very shiny I had no body at all! i had to shampoo it out! it might work to loosen some of the tighter curls here! its cheap: lime and coconut milk, nozzle bottle(to apply) then shower cap for 1 hour! you could literaly just was your hair with this formula! hope this helps!

Afrosaxon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalTata on 9th November 2009, 3:24 pm

i purchased coconut milk to do the coconut relaxer, but i just haven't taken the time to do it!!! but this sour cream thingy..hmmm....

NaturalTata

View user profile http://myhairisme.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KDiva430 on 11th November 2009, 12:28 am

I've heard of people mixing sour cream with their henna to help it do it's thing and I have heard of people using yogurt and baking soda to make their hair soft and help with curl definition. I tried the Cherry Lola method, I used conditioner instead of yogurt (Suave something) and it did make my curls look a little more defined and my hair felt really soft. Check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAafaJWWKUw

KDiva430

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crvng4mr on 15th November 2009, 1:49 pm

Okay trying the sour cream method today! Cross your fingers and I will be back with pics.

crvng4mr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crvng4mr on 15th November 2009, 2:41 pm

Okay ladies I just finished washing my hair with Oyin Honey Wash and applied the store brand full fat sour cream in my hair by sections, just like a relaxer. I used 8 oz of sour cream. I must tell you that if you don't like sour cream or the smell then you probably don't want to do this unless you add something to mask the smell. I love sour cream so it didn't bother me. I am going tp leave it on for at least an hour and then I'll be back with an update.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

crvng4mr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crvng4mr on 15th November 2009, 5:06 pm

Okay I rinsed it out and my hair felt very soft. my daughter says that it looked like the curl relaxed alot in the shower. I'm not so sure but I don't have a mirror in the shower.lol. I then conditioned for 2 minutes with Oyin Honey Hemp and rinsed completely out. I didn't need to DC with a conditioner. I then moisturized with Qhemet Alma and Olive and did a TnC sealing with Oyin whipped pudding.

crvng4mr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gammainme on 15th November 2009, 6:32 pm

thanks for posting ayasha- cn't wait to see the final results. in the 2nd set of pics, your looked more define. I did this a few weeks ago and the smell made me GAG! it was horriable. I have to try the experience again b/c i had way too much stuff going on w/ my hair to really comment on the sour cream. thanks again

gammainme

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crvng4mr on 17th November 2009, 12:22 am

Okay, pics are in the butters n bars post of my TnC!

crvng4mr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alove15 on 26th November 2009, 8:26 pm

I just tried it yesterday! I didn't even know about this thread. The sour cream I used was past the expiration date which added to the amount of lactic acid(supposed to loosen the curl). I left it in for 3 hours and noticed softer hair and less tangling. My curl loosened alot and I had less shrinkage.

alove15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wild curls raquelle on 30th November 2009, 8:30 pm

I dont even like sour cream, but I think I will try this

wild curls raquelle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lexibugg004 on 1st January 2010, 5:36 pm

JORIE wrote:Has anyone used sour cream or sour cream mixed with lemons to loosen or define their natural curl pattern for manageability? I know some naturals who have a very tight curl pattern and just loosening a little bit would help with detangling and breakage. If you have used sour cream or something else natural, what were the results and were you pleased or disappointed either way (too loose vs. Not loose enough vs. No change at all). Thanks curlies!

not with sour cream but i saw a video on youtube of a lady, that uses what she called a "natural relaxer" on her daughter ever two weeks, that comprised of plain yogurt(flavorless, and i would use Greek) lemon juice and concentrated coconut cream. she also applied as you would a relaxer, but think she left it on for 1/2 and hour or so, since it is more of a treatment and not a relaxer!! she claimed that it cut down the frizz. made her hair softer, easier to detangle, and loosened the pattern temporarily as a henna would!!! i have been aching to try this, but would like to find the coconut cream locally and not have to buy on line. oh yeah, the cream is on a site called tropical traditions,but i am sure you could find it else where. by the way her daughter did have long, healthy, and thick, curls, kinks, and coils!!!!

i will try to embed the video!!!!

lexibugg004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lexibugg004 on 1st January 2010, 5:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQD5vt5-3AI

well that didn't work so here is this

lexibugg004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next