CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while.

+49
summerbreeze76
mizcreativelyme
jaybella
rayray19
Umph
Treece
curlya
BajanPrincess82
mrsmackey
blondie
PaganWifey
wyldhoney
CocaColaCutie
WhosThatRedHead
priceless
MellowOne
swoodward
TheRYL1
BrownSkinDiva
mstokes2008
TMS
FemmeFox
Pinkrage
iri9109
LaToya28
ktoliver5303
CocoEuro
CrissyQ
poeticlyspkng
jlowman1
DvaAuNaturel
Curly_Aquarius
~JOME~
bholmes87
ChrsLvsBks
Karyn
krazy coils
CurlsGalore
AfrikanLatina
Juices-n-Berries
SheeTacular
BlondeByDesire
KinkyNappyHappy
gigihaitiancurly
sweetdrk1
Intelligentbeauty
Lynnieluve
NubieNatty
LadyMika
53 posters

Page 21 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 21 Empty Re: Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while.

Post by sweetdrk1 22nd January 2011, 10:46 am

I am so excited to follow your loc journey! My honey use to have locs, I cried when he cut them off! My god sister and niece have a head full of dreads, just beautiful!

As for you not wearing your twists out, I have no clue why! They are the twists of my dreams! Sasha would never look like that! They are gorgeous!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 21 Empty Re: Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while.

Post by LadyMika 22nd January 2011, 2:40 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:I am so excited to follow your loc journey! My honey use to have locs, I cried when he cut them off! My god sister and niece have a head full of dreads, just beautiful!

As for you not wearing your twists out, I have no clue why! They are the twists of my dreams! Sasha would never look like that! They are gorgeous!

Thank you Sweet! I honestly didn't like the way they looked back then--guess I was caught up in wanting them to be "long enough" before wearing them out, now that I look back. But the short twists are growing on me though. Makes me think of a girl I used to see in high school. Her hair was already loc'd, but they were short like mine. I thought she was the cutest thing walking with her short locs. Amazing how a little retrospect can change how you view yourself.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 22nd January 2011, 2:42 pm

Loving that new avatar by the way, Sweet. You look great! Smile
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 24th January 2011, 7:50 pm

Just a quick update.

I'm at work today, donning a headwrap with my twists underneath. They've shrunken A LOT since the last update, especially in the front and at the nape. My roots all over are starting or trying to unravel. No I can't tell if it's new growth or just my hair being difficult as it changes. I've considered seperating a few in the back and along the right side when I was and retwist at the end of the week. (Thursday makes three weeks since I've started.) I know for a fact shea butter alone won't give the hold I need so the roots won't unravel later.

If it ain't one thing, it's another but I'm going to stick it out. Saturday, I'll wash and retwist.

That is all, and I hope everyone has a good afternoon!
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 25th January 2011, 12:55 am

Hi Lady Mika!
I'll be following your loc journey. Congrats on your engagement and your journey into locs. Your honey's proposal was super sweet! I'm thinking of locing my hair too. I'm just trying to figure out how to start them and how to maintain them, the size etc. I spoke to a loctician and they do indeed want a lot of money to start them, and she wants to maintain them (i.e. she won't teach me how to tighten them). So I'm doing my research and figuring out the best way to go. I'll probably do like you and start them myself from twists.
Good luck on your new journeys!
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 29th January 2011, 9:55 am

Good morning ladies!

Week 3 has begun, and I'm already feeling the changes both in my hair and even PERSONALLY. I'm pretty much over having hair that's "out" (kinky or otherwise). It looks nice, the puffs are cute, the fros are hot. But I'll be frank: it's not fun to me anymore. No This isn't to say I'm getting locs because I'm "bored" with my hair--I'm not. (If I was, I would've chopped it off again and kept it moving.) My life is pretty much at a point where it's FINALLY starting to stabilize, and the hair needs to match the changes taking place. Locs will (help) give me that stability. As far as aesthetics are concerned, I'm not feeling "ugly" or hating how my hair looks. The changes are part of the process, just as being born, living, and the body eventually dying is part of the process called "life". With that perspective in mind, becoming discouraged is NOT a concern. It's just business as usual. Wink

And now that I've bored you all to death, on to the subject at hand! Laughing

The roots are puffy out of rebellion/new growth. It's both. Not surprised, really. A whole lot of frizz, new strands, a bit of density along the twists in the back and towards the front. The crown will most likely loc last, since the texture there is looser than the rest of my head. I've been keeping my head covered the last few days with a headwrap, so they're fairly matted. My scalp is begging for a wash. I have plans to cleanse and retwist this afternoon when I get home from work.

Other chatter: looking into making my own black soap SHAMPOO, since I have a brick of the stuff to get through. (Literally: A BRICK.) Found some recipes online, but I'll do more research over the next few days. I'm thinking a base recipe of water, black soap, caster oil, sweet almond oil, tea tree, eucalyptus and lavender essential oils. And maybe some shea butter for texture. scratch More on that later.

And that's all for now. Should I retwist as planned, I'll have pictures. Until then, have a great day and if there's still snow/ice on the ground in your area, be careful! Smile
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 31st January 2011, 7:48 pm

I was uploading the pics I took today to my Photobucket account, when it decided to take a hot steaming dump and CRASH MY WEB BROWSER. (Damn you Google Chrome!! Evil or Very Mad) So when I get home to night, I'll try again to reload and post the pics with Internet Explorer.

I'm at work right now, so when I get back from my hour break, I'll post about the process.

See you soon.
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 1st February 2011, 2:22 am

Good morning all (It's after midnight.). Well, got home from work and sorted out my issues with Photobucket. Here are the pics; I'm going to keep it pretty simple and stick with a before and after.

*ahem*

I washed my hair with Giovanni Direct Triple Tea Threat Shampoo. I'm really not a -poo person, but I used it when I washed my yarn braids and liked it. I focused mostly on the scalp, and washed twice (to get rid of buildup). I wrapped a towel around my head for ten minutes as I got dressed for the day (I wash my hair in the shower). Here is what I used:

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 21 DSCN0901

Left to right: small jar of EcoStyler Gel (pink) mixed with my shea mix (more on this in a second), rubber duck bill prongs, and clips. I also sprayed my hair with my aloe vera gel spritz (not shown) both to soften them up and for the sake of hair health.

Here are my twists, post wash:

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 21 DSCN0897

Left side.

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 21 DSCN0898

Right side.

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 21 DSCN0899

The back.

I twisted each twist by finger coiling, since they're not stiff enough for palm rolling yet. I used the EcoStyler/shea mixture Felt around and separated a few that started to "marry" a the root. Even felt/saw some budding action further up the twist, rather than the ends. Either way, I'm happy about that. Now for the post twist:

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 21 DSCN0907

Left.

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 21 DSCN0906

Right.

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 21 DSCN0908

The back.

I won't be using the EcoStyler/shea mixture anymore due to the potential for buildup. I like the hold, but can't stand the film brought on by the shea butter. For my next twist, I'm going to try using the gel ALONE and see how that works out. BUT, that's it. Took me about two hours, from back to front. Air dried for about four hours and the clips came out. My avatar shows the length in the front; I got a pretty good amount of growth. Smile Thursday will make ONE MONTH since I started locing. In three to four more weeks, I'll re-twist again.

And that ends my update. Hope everyone had a good Monday, and be safe.
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by wyldhoney 1st February 2011, 3:03 am

Your hair looks lovely, Mika.

Does 'budding' mean that they have started to knit together? If so, your locs are coming along very quickly!
wyldhoney
wyldhoney

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 1st February 2011, 1:03 pm

wyldhoney wrote:Your hair looks lovely, Mika.

Does 'budding' mean that they have started to knit together? If so, your locs are coming along very quickly!

Thank you! Yes, it does. You can actually feel the spots where it's become fairly dense. It doesn't take much for my hair to get tangled, so I'm not surprised. (Actually, I'm pretty happy about that.) Thank you for stopping by my thread! Smile
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by FemmeFox 1st February 2011, 6:37 pm

Your locs are looking good Lady M. Are you planning on maintaining them yourself the whole time? Congrats on the budding happening farther up, my GF just went through and unmarried (divorced?) some of her locs last night. So excited to keep up on your journey!
FemmeFox
FemmeFox

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 1st February 2011, 6:48 pm

The twists are looking great, they held up pretty well after being shampooed. Cant wait for them to start locking together. My cousin started his locs of with two strand twists. Its a very cool process to watch.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 1st February 2011, 9:22 pm

FemmeFox wrote:Your locs are looking good Lady M. Are you planning on maintaining them yourself the whole time? Congrats on the budding happening farther up, my GF just went through and unmarried (divorced?) some of her locs last night. So excited to keep up on your journey!

Thank you! Yep, I'm going to maintain them myself. If it wasn't so expensive, I WOULD seek a loctician...but I think it's much more beneficial (on a personal level) to do this on my own. My mission right now is "know thyself", and locs is a part of that mission. I might separate a few too, but sometime in the future. Right now, I'm happy with the size they'll grow into. Smile

jlowman1 wrote:The twists are looking great, they held up pretty well after being shampooed. Cant wait for them to start locking together. My cousin started his locs of with two strand twists. Its a very cool process to watch.

Thanks for stopping by! They did hold up...I was expecting a few on the top (where my texture is looser) to unravel. I'm pinching at the buds like a fat kid's cheeks. lol! Definitely a fun process.
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 1st February 2011, 9:42 pm

Wow, they're looking good Mika! I think you'll do well on the Loc journey. You have great results starting out.
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 2nd February 2011, 6:22 pm

Umph wrote:Wow, they're looking good Mika! I think you'll do well on the Loc journey. You have great results starting out.

Thank you! I love you I'm pretty blown away by how fast it's going--I was twisting the ones in the back and felt the buds and was like "What the HEEZEY? Very Happy". I can't wait until the summer so I can wear my hair out everyday.
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 2nd February 2011, 6:43 pm

Great update Mika! Your twists look awesome. Can't wait to see the locs in all their glory. They're coming!!!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 2nd February 2011, 9:14 pm

Hey Mika!

Your twists look great! You may have mentioned this but how often do you have to retwist or tighten them back up?
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 3rd February 2011, 9:05 am

LadyM.....girl your hair is beautiful. I'm a fan of lo,cs and I am loving your results!! I can see your growth and progress in just 1 month. I love the fact that you are maintaining your own locs, and do know that I will be following your journey. I can't wait to see what your hair is going to look like just in six months!!

KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 6th February 2011, 1:41 am

poeticlyspkng wrote:Great update Mika! Your twists look awesome. Can't wait to see the locs in all their glory. They're coming!!!

Thank you! I wasn't expecting them to start forming THIS fast, but it's a cool process to watch.

krazy coils wrote:Hey Mika!

Your twists look great! You may have mentioned this but how often do you have to retwist or tighten them back up?

Thank you! I plan to retwist no more than twice a month especially in the front where it's ALREADY shrank and unraveled at the root. Rolling Eyes If it ain't one thing, it's another. Laughing

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:LadyM.....girl your hair is beautiful. I'm a fan of lo,cs and I am loving your results!! I can see your growth and progress in just 1 month. I love the fact that you are maintaining your own locs, and do know that I will be following your journey. I can't wait to see what your hair is going to look like just in six months!!

Thank you so much KNH. Part of my doing this myself is financial. I just can't afford a salon. The other part is "know thyself". What better way to dig deep than to make yet another aesthetic transition to something permanent? It's already February, so it'll be June before you know it. lol!

Thank you all ladies, for the support!!
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Lady Mika--The Locs Start HERE. (lol) Leaving the interwebs for a while. - Page 21 Empty On hiatus.

Post by LadyMika 6th February 2011, 1:47 am

Good evening ladies.

I've decided to take an "internet vacation". Meaning, I'll be cutting down time spent on the web to refocus on me and my future. Long story short: came to a realization that things need to change and change SOON. The internet is a worthy sacrifice, since all it's done recently is distract the hell out of me. No Can't have that.

So, I'll be away for a while. I may drop in every so often, but not on a regualar basis (AS IF I'm here on a regular basis anyway. lol!). Updates for my blog are on hold as well.

Well, that's pretty much it. I want to thank you all for the support you've given since I joined this site and I'm utterly grateful for each and every one of you.

Good night, and be well.
LadyMika
LadyMika

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 6th February 2011, 2:46 am

Take care Mika and best wishes toward your endeavors!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 6th February 2011, 3:13 am

heeeey lovin ur locs, i gotta live vicariously through you!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by priceless 6th February 2011, 3:46 am

love the progress take care
priceless
priceless

Back to top Go down

Post by FemmeFox 7th February 2011, 6:55 pm

Have a great internet vacation! I can't wait to see the progress when you get back!
FemmeFox
FemmeFox

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry: extraordinary! 8th February 2011, 12:57 am

We'll be waiting when you get back Very Happy and i LOVE the idea of locs on you cheers
Cherry: extraordinary!
Cherry: extraordinary!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next