CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 Months Post Relaxer

+36
sweet_t
QueenIzMe
shauntielavette
cmonewms
prettyporsche_
MokikaStyle
pretty,Pleaseee
brownsuga83
Butterfly125
NaturallySonja
jazzwife
ThatGirl!
lashawnb
firety47
Special Momma
Tranquility
Vanisia3G
JossBella
DalsD
livingboldlyphw
CurlyChefRobin
songbird
Pandagirl
curl_Gurl
Afronique
jadore04
LayDeLibra
HappyCurly
CrissyQ
curlygirly14
ceaux
aprilj90
letha
michelle
Pinkpearls
*CurlyNikki*
40 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

5 Months Post Relaxer - Page 3 Empty Re: 5 Months Post Relaxer

Post by curl_Gurl 3rd August 2010, 11:02 am

5 months 1 week and 1 day yeah...moving right along..lol
curl_Gurl
curl_Gurl

Back to top Go down

Post by curl_Gurl 3rd August 2010, 11:02 am

Does anyone know of a stylist or salon that does Dominican blow outs in Dallas, TX? I
would like to get my hair trimmed but I don't want to flat iron it, I
made a vow to myself to not use a flat iron anymore so instead I would
like to get a Dominican blow out. Thanks in advance ladies!
curl_Gurl
curl_Gurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Pandagirl 4th August 2010, 1:34 am

I'm 5 months post and I have still yet to master the twist outs, and I seem to be suffering from a little dryness. But overall I am enjoying the transition. =]

Pandagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by jadore04 4th August 2010, 2:07 pm

I haven't had a trim since june, and i haven't had a protein since the end of june early july . . my hair is on thin ice right now. . i'm so broke and i'm not the best at doing my hair. .thinking about just doing the big chop. I have way too many split ends. my mom keeps deterring me from doing it though. she has this huge stigma about hair and believes that the hair makes the woman and i've realized that she is passing this on to me and i dont want to be apart of that notion. I love my hair but i know that it def. does not make who i am. kind in a rock and a hard place right now.
jadore04
jadore04

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 4th August 2010, 3:11 pm

I am 5 months post today. My transitioning has had ups and downs so far but I am enjoying the process of learning my hair. I am definitely a product junky! Even while my hair was in kinky twists and a sew-in, I was stocking up on new products to try. I cut the relaxed ends off of my "kitchen" area, for lack of a better way to describe it, and found that products react differently to that area now that it's all natural than they did before. (Also, my shrinkage there is insane!) Yes to Carrots conditioner, sealed with extra virgin olive oil and then Shea butter left my coils feeling soft and moisturized for the first time ever.

Last night I made a 50/50 mixture of Yes to Carrots conditioner and Eco Styler gel and applied it generously to that area of my hair, brushing through with my knock-off Denman. My little coils and curls looked gorgeous! (Pics to come when I get on my computer; I'm on my phone now.) It was also very moisturized when it dried, so I know what I'll be using for wash and go's once I finally BC.
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by jadore04 4th August 2010, 5:52 pm

@songbird you sound like your beginning to learn your hair that is awesome!! i found out my new growth loves Giovanni's Deep moisture conditioner as a co-wash, it has so much slip to it!
jadore04
jadore04

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 5th August 2010, 2:17 am

@jadore
Isn't it the greatest when you learn something that your hair loves? I'm so happy! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 10th August 2010, 11:14 pm

I am 22 weeks post relaxer - so 5 1/2 months. :-) I am very close to the BC. I go in for a line up on Friday and I'm thinking of just doing it. I have about 3 inches of new growth and due to my original hair cut the majority of the back of my hair is natural anyway. I am getting so frustrated with all this humidity and dealing with the two textures. I tend to do TnC's as braid outs don't seem to look good on me and it takes way to long for the Bantu-knots to dry. My relaxed hair is just too thin to rock them in. I'm just getting tired of the two textures. Here's a few pics of my hair so you can all see what I'm talking about. Suggestions would be great!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by livingboldlyphw 13th August 2010, 12:54 am

Okay, I am experiencing so breakage..... I have been transitioning since March 2010 and now I see some short ends in the middle of my head and in a few other places. it looks as though it broke off just were the relaxed hair use to be but my new growth is still there.....
HELP What can I do?????? I use JBCO and I cowash once and some times twice a week, I do deep conditioners, leave in conditioners. I use shea butter on my hair... what else can I do??????

livingboldlyphw

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 13th August 2010, 1:09 am

I've had the same problem. I hear that's a normal issue with transitioners. The line of demarcation (where the relaxed and natural hair meet) is very sensitive. Mine broke some as well. Maybe post a general message and see what people say. Some of the long term transitioners may be able to help.
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

Back to top Go down

Post by livingboldlyphw 13th August 2010, 1:57 am

Thanks CurlyChefRobin, I am going to follow ur suggestion...... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Now I don't feel bad, I thought I was doing something wrong......

livingboldlyphw

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 13th August 2010, 9:07 am

No problem. My suggestion is to keep it moisturized and that should help as well with breakage. Do you use a water based moisturizer or leave in condish or just the Shea butter? If you haven't tried it, the Kimmaytube mix works wonders for my hair.
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

Back to top Go down

Post by livingboldlyphw 13th August 2010, 10:46 am

I use Cantu shea butter leave in condish, My shea butter has EVOO, extra virgin coconut oil , vitamin E, and essential oils in it. I think my hair may need a protein treatment. I stayed up pretty late last night researching possible problems and I read that if the hair is overly mositurized it will be overly soft when wet and dry, and kind of limp or mushy like and that kind of describes my hair. My hair is very soft to the touch. I thought doing avocado treatment would give my hair the protein it needed but I guess not so I am going to try doing a Aphogee treatment once a month and see what happens. I might just need to purchase a better detangler comb as well, that might be the problem too.... I really think its just overly conditioned, my hair is rarley dry, it always shiny and soft. So I just thinking I need to learn how to balance between protein and moisturizing.
But I am loving my hair. I will post pics soon.

livingboldlyphw

Back to top Go down

Post by jadore04 13th August 2010, 4:54 pm

Try doing a coconut Milk treatment for your hair; its another form of a protein treatment but that may be all your hair needs. I recently was experiencing so much breakage that last night i decided to cut my hair like an inch or two and today my hair looks so much better i ran my fingers through and no hair comes out like yesterday. . sometimes you may have to just cut a couple inches. just listen to your hair. i'm beginning to really understand that concept. but ladies were almost 6 months!!! half way marker for long-term transitioners!
jadore04
jadore04

Back to top Go down

Post by livingboldlyphw 13th August 2010, 5:30 pm

Thanks Jadore04.....I will try that and see what happens since, I am about to rule the Apoghee out...I would rather try natural products verses the Apoghee. But I am also thinking maybe my hair is overly conidtioned too.... Between doing weekly deep conditionders and add a leave in conditioner and weekly co washes, it might just be overly conditioned. Every two weeks I am doing Avocado treatment so just maybe if I cut out some of this conditioning it might be alright.
Doing too much might be the whole problem within it self.

I do know my scalp itches alot here lately... do you have that problem? I checked my scalp and its not dry or anything it just itches.....Hmmmmmm, just trying to figure this stuff out. I thought I had a good hair reigmen going but I guess not gotta revamp this hair stuff.
Think I am gonna keep it Simple.

livingboldlyphw

Back to top Go down

Post by jadore04 14th August 2010, 10:17 pm

how often do you wash your hair? You may need to clarify your hair with ACV( apple cider vinegar) and start from scratch and see if your hair stops itching. But my scalp doesn't itch because i wash my hair once a week. It seems to do well off of that. My back of my hair has more natural and i notice if i get hot or sweaty even the slightest bit it starts to get itchy lol. But yeah simple is key(: i'm still learning that lol
jadore04
jadore04

Back to top Go down

Post by livingboldlyphw 15th August 2010, 12:24 am

I wash my hair twice a week.....Sundays and Wednesday.....I might try the ACV to clarify.....Yeah, i'm going to keep it very simple, LOL.....This Natural Hair thing is an Adventure.....But I am loving it.....

livingboldlyphw

Back to top Go down

Post by jadore04 15th August 2010, 12:50 am

Why did you decide to go natural?
jadore04
jadore04

Back to top Go down

Post by livingboldlyphw 17th August 2010, 6:55 pm

My hair was thinning out and my hair line seem to be doing disappearing act at the time(LOL) from getting so many relaxers over the years. I was starting to wear weaves to mask the thinness of my hair and I just decided ENOUGH was ENOUGH. So I went NATURAL.... The best decision I made in a long time......

livingboldlyphw

Back to top Go down

Post by jadore04 18th August 2010, 2:49 pm

aww thats good to hear! same here as far as the best decision i am so glad i decided to do this even tho it has been a true journey. I recently cut about 2 or 3 inches off myself just because so my hair is to my ears lol! its crazy short! but i needed to be comfortable with short hair first before i took the big plunge sooner or later lol! I just got tired of seeing my hair the same length for the past 4 years it never grew past a certain length so i slowly made the decision to transition!
jadore04
jadore04

Back to top Go down

Post by DalsD 18th August 2010, 11:51 pm

Celebrating 5 months as well (since the 12th). I'm enjoying my time transitioning but I do get frustrated sometimes. I've been wearing my hair in rollersets for the past month but I'm ready for something new (although I get a lot of compliments on my style now). It's just that it's so much upkeep, especially with the humidity here! Maybe I'll braid it up for the rest of the summer.
Anyway, does anyone have a good suggestion for a tea tree shampoo? Currently I'm washing with Carol's Daughter Tui shampoo and a Design Essentials moisturizing shampoo (great for detangling). Are either of these protein shampoos? I've been seeing protein mentioned a lot. *sorry I'm still new to the site lol*
Thanks for the help!

DalsD

Back to top Go down

Post by JossBella 25th August 2010, 9:47 pm

@jadore04 What is the coconut milk treatment?
I've been in braids since July 14 (senegalese twists) and it's about that time to take these babies out. Like this weekend. I know I need to DC my hair.
JossBella
JossBella

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanisia3G 8th September 2010, 6:39 pm

I'm 5 months post today!!! :-)
Vanisia3G
Vanisia3G

Back to top Go down

Post by Tranquility 17th September 2010, 2:16 pm

Okay, so I decided to post to the 5 month site 1 week prematurely! LOL!

I am still learning my hair. The twist outs are looking better each time I do it. I have made an appointment for flexi-rods! Not really sure what to expect, but looking forward to changing my hairstyle from the boring ponytail to something with a little more interest.

Someone recommended straw sets too. Not really sure how my hair will handle such tiny curls. Any thoughts?
Tranquility
Tranquility

Back to top Go down

Post by Special Momma 18th September 2010, 11:33 pm

I am 5 months in and I am about to just shave my head! Having two different hair textures is really difficult. I have cut off more than half of my perm, but it still tangles so much. I am seriously depressed right now. My husband doesn't want me to BC, but he doesn't want to help me comb this massive nest out either. My natural hair is so shiny and pretty. I would love to get rid of the perm and show off my curls. I am really torn.
I'll let you guys know what happens. Crying or Very sad
Special Momma
Special Momma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next