CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where my Caribbean curlies at?

+8
Islandcurlies
Elasstikwaistlyne
wyldhoney
MzFrenchie
ragavan
DayDay
A-Felice
rachie
12 posters

Go down

Where my Caribbean curlies at? Empty Where my Caribbean curlies at?

Post by rachie 21st April 2010, 11:37 am

After reading Natasha's naturally glam story this morning, I felt so glad to see another trini on curlynikki (I'm fairly new so I'm not sure if there are others). But lately my hair is not responding to anything to combat this heat we're experiencing here in Trinidad. It's ridiculous! I was wondering if there is any product or style that you curlies use to keep your hair moisturized throughout the day especially since I'm at UWI and I have to balance the a/c drying out my hair indoors and the hot sun doing the same outdoors. PLEASE HELP!
rachie
rachie

Back to top Go down

Where my Caribbean curlies at? Empty Re: Where my Caribbean curlies at?

Post by A-Felice 26th April 2010, 6:46 am

I'm from Trinidad!! But I'm in Tampa now studying, but It's getting real hot here too, and I haven't had any issues with moisture and the products that I use, although I don't know if you can get them in Trini.

What kind of products do you have access to back home. Is the Tresseme Naturals line there yet? Their conditioner is really good and I usually don't rinse all of it out anduse some as a leave in. Then I use Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Nectar, but I know that's not available back home, but you can also order online.

Let me know how its going! I love seeing people from home.
A-Felice
A-Felice

Back to top Go down

Post by DayDay 20th May 2010, 12:27 pm

hey! i'm from jamaica, but residing in ny
try mixing liquid glycerin and water in a bottle and spritzing it on ur hair.. that really helps my hair to feel soft. also, u can try sealing with castor oil
also, u can try ,mixing honey to ur deep conditioner. Honey is a natural humectant, and it absorbs moisture from the air, into ur hair.
hope this helps!
DayDay
DayDay

Back to top Go down

Post by ragavan 4th June 2010, 1:28 am

Well, all I can tell you is to moisturize,moisturize, moisturize.
Conditioning your hair might not totally take away your frizz, but it
will help. Also, someone was telling me that vitamin B really helps
hair not to frizz, but that's just what I've heard. Well I don't know
what kind of curly hair you have, by that I mean your race b/c
different races have different hair textures, but I am black and
mexican and what helps my hair when it frizzes are sheen sprays like
"isoplus" it comes in a blue can, and "Pink" sheen spray, those really
help my hair during the humidity. But my mom is mexican and she has
beautiful wavy hair and what she uses for her hair not to frizz is
"Infusium 23" and on the front of the one she buys it says it has
vitamin B. I guess depending on your hair type besides the fact that
it's curly, their are different things you can do. You can find those
products I mentioned at Wal Mart and Sally's Beauty Supply. Well I hope
I maybe kinda' helped [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Hope you figure something out and have fun on your vacation!
================
SEO UK | Cheap SEO

ragavan

Back to top Go down

Post by MzFrenchie 7th June 2010, 10:16 pm

Hey Ladies....im living in the Turks and Caicos Islands and this is my first official post! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Trying to get into the groove of things but lacking seriously on some much needed products for my hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Had some nice curls going for a bit but had to do a big chop last month so im offically starting from scratch AGAIN [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ....could use all the help i can get on simple products that i might be able to find since we dont have Walmarts, Targets, etc, here. right now im working with some unrefined shea butter, coconut oil and tee tree oil. can someone help me please??? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MzFrenchie
MzFrenchie

Back to top Go down

Post by wyldhoney 9th June 2010, 10:17 am

Since I've now broken my posting silence, let me chime in here!

I am Trini born, and live in St. Lucia. HUMIDITY is my biggest problem. My hair loves to shrink and no matter what style I start with, by mid-day my hair is a mess of frizzy, shrunken curls. My hair is 7 inches long when I stretch it out, but people keep asking me if I keep trimming my hair, because it looks like it's been about 2.5 inches for the past 3 years!

I try not to complain, because I really do love my curly locks, but sometimes it can be frustrating after hours of twisting and stretching to have that much shrinkage going on all the time.

*sigh*
wyldhoney
wyldhoney

Back to top Go down

Post by Elasstikwaistlyne 21st June 2010, 3:25 pm

Hey my fellow Caribbean beauties. I'm from the US Virgin Islands but currently live in Germany so I completely understand the limitations of product availability. I order 90% of my stuff online. I know alot of the companies don't ship overseas but I know Qhemet Biologics, and a few others do. I've been keeping my product use pretty simple...with shea butter, coconut oil, eo's and jojoba oil.
Elasstikwaistlyne
Elasstikwaistlyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Islandcurlies 24th September 2010, 4:25 pm

Hey my cariBbean naturals! I am new to the site n wanted to introduce myself. I am originally from St.Thomas,USVI but reside here in Florida. I recently BC'd two weeks ago exactly after transitioning for 6months. I love being a natural gyal but of course I've been battling with some issues. I'm experiencing dryness and dullneSs. Any suggestions on what products to use? Mind u I am a complete Product junkie and its only been two weeks lol! I dnt know my hair type (I have a mix of everything in there) that's why I love my hair so much!! Anyway I just wanted to welcome myself to the site and what better place to start with my caribbean ladies! I look forward to hearing ur responses Wink
<3 Mari
Islandcurlies
Islandcurlies

Back to top Go down

Post by prettybrown213 2nd October 2010, 1:39 am

Caribbean curly girl here as well. My family is from St. Vincent but I currently reside in NJ. I'm new to this site as well.

Island, the best thing that works for me with dryness (b/c I battle that as well) I deep condition my hair once a week. It's a must for me. Also I use water based products (conditioner/moisturizer). Also sealing my hair with coconut oil works wonders for me. HTH!

prettybrown213
prettybrown213

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 2nd October 2010, 11:13 am

@ Wyldhoney My hair used to shrink a lot but after experimenting a lot with different gel recipes I found one that defines and reduces shrinkage in my hair.

The base:
1/3 ecostyler gel
2/3 flax seed gel

Additional:
1-2 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp olive oil (optional)

** 1-2 tbsp is relative to 1 cup of gel

Basically you mix the two gels and honey together until it turns kind of a frothy white. Then apply to wet/damp hair and enjoy the length!

HTH!!
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by Islander3906 2nd October 2010, 9:22 pm

Hey Caribbean Curlies. I love that title!
Well it's good to meet ayo on d site. I'm from St. Croix, USVI - hey 'IslandCurlies and Elasstikwaistline'...you're from my sister island. Good to see you here. As well as the other ladies representing Trinidad, St. Lucia, and all the other beautiful Caribbean islands.

I live in DC and I joined this site in February 2010 and have been experimenting so much - I started with the essential oils, then I moved to home made products - EVOO, Shea Butter etc., now I just came back from the islands and a sister suggested a line of products called Jane Carter solutions - I like the products so far (and my hair does too) but my pockets - not so much. These things are high as h*ll. So what I have to focus on now is figuring out what works for me. So I guess I'm still experimenting. As for moisture - I find that the shea butter works well. It stays in my hair all through my day at the office, on the subway, and even through traffic. I have to say I've got moisture down. If you can get it - try it.

I'm so excited to find you ladies on the site - I need a glass of wine now. Bye!
Islander3906
Islander3906

Back to top Go down

Post by wyldhoney 10th October 2010, 10:27 am

Krissyc39 - thanks so much for the tip. My hair is now 8+ inches and the shrinkage is really pissing me off now, because sometimes I want some flipping length!

I am in Cambridge England right now so it's buns all the way, but as soon as I get back home next week I will try your gel.

Merci!
wyldhoney
wyldhoney

Back to top Go down

Post by avyishi 29th November 2010, 5:59 pm

VI Massive!! Hey Elasstikwaistlyne Hurry your butt home, LOL

nataurralycurly.com's store and amazon to see if they ship products near you. i've seen a few on ebay.

I'm in St. Croix, VI if you can't tell by the first line,lol...i love jane carter's products the wrap and roll is one of my favorites but because i have to ship it here or buy it when i go stateside i try not to use too much. I'm in love with mixed chicks leave in can't wait to go to the states to get more i still have some left. goes for carols daugther i love the products when it comes to the leavein conditioners i use it as a refresher, because i cannot detangle my hair with that stuff the loc butter and mimosa hair honey i use to twist sometimes or sometimes i use hello hydration.

if you don't have these products or can't get to them don't worry you can make wonderful use of regular conditioners by adding natural oils and eggs and other proteins. Check out natural food stores if you have any near you they might have some good thing s for you. Mix the conditioners you can find together try it as a leave in add veggie glycerin until you can get the products you want.

for the products that are here on island i use tresemme, pantene(yes it has cones, but if you take care of your hair doesn't really matter, just make sure you wash it out if a good shampoo and DT) suave and aussie moist, gariner isn't too bad either. olive oil, shea butter avocado oil and other oils. aloe gel and eco styler gel are great too.

@wyldhoney is your issue with wash and go shrinkage? if so to help you can try using a little of the gel mixture and band it with bands or twist them with out changing raking out your curl pattern. i also sometimes cowash my hair the night before and will do that or sometimes twist is while it's wet add what i want to it of course and then put a plastic cap over my head while i sleep so doesn't dry all the way, it still keeps it moist and in the removing it the morning before you get ready so it can dry and you can either diffuse it or leave the twist in a little longer while your on your way.

or you can just put your hair in a ponytail for most of the day while it dries and you'll have stretched curls. i don't like to fuss too much with my hair and that whole doing the hair in the morning thing everyday is not for me twist twistouts and buns are so nice and have been my boring solution for years,lol

I have tried these all but for a wash and go with minimal shrinkage wash the night before and let it dry in twist with disturbing the curls that formed from washing my hair I rarely have time to dry it with the disffuser and if I do wash in the morning I just let it shrink lol hope I helped some I have lot of stuff going on in my head so I may have been all over the place lol if you have any question just ask :-)

http://public.fotki.com/beautywithcurls/

Last edited by beautywithcurls on 30th November 2010, 10:37 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : adding)
avyishi
avyishi

Back to top Go down

Post by avyishi 29th November 2010, 6:50 pm

I know you had enough of me now but I also sometimes braid halfway at night or all the way without disturbingthe curls after washing will help it dry nicely over night too. Of course it will be more stretched then the twist you don't have to do them too small at all as well as the twist. Ok I'm done for now lol

avyishi
avyishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down