Not Trying to Lose Weight...

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Not Trying to Lose Weight...

Post by TerraD on 2nd November 2009, 12:38 am

@ curlyspeechtherapist78:
LOL. I love Grandma's, they speak the truth! Your hair is cute as well, I love your color.
@cutephantasm: That's how I did it. I stopped eating pork in high school, then beef as a freshman in college and so on and so forth. I noticed a change in my health just by that! So by eating meat only once a day you are already helping your health!
TerraD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm on 2nd November 2009, 1:29 am

TerraD wrote: I stopped eating pork in high school, then beef as a freshman in college and so on and so forth. I noticed a change in my health just by that! So by eating meat only once a day you are already helping your health!

i grew up not eating pork so thats not a problem...i eat a TON of chicken and beef maybe 1x a week...i purchase all my food from whole foods so that cuts out a lot of antibiotics/preservatives (also means u gotta cook the meat FAST or else it will go bad)

maybe i should try a weeklong meat-detox once a month or so....I dont think i can ever give up chicken! lol
cutephantasm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CoarseDame on 2nd November 2009, 1:41 am

This is extremely educational!! I always say I would like to change the way I eat, and I just don't know HOW. I'm one of those people who think life is too short and I should enjoy what I want (crazy right). Well I'm ready to drop that act. I just need to have the money to do it.

I'd like to know how much you spend at the grocery store? (cutephantasm) and any of you other healthy eaters!
CoarseDame

View user profile http://meetup.com/napptural

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* on 2nd November 2009, 2:41 am

good questions CoarseDame! I want to know that too Smile
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

View user profile http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm on 2nd November 2009, 2:50 am

Between my husband and I, we probably spend at least $300/week at whole foods. But, whole foods is WAY more expensive than basically anywhere (plus they keep changing packaging making portions smaller but prices higher!)

There are some low budget things that you can make - veggies to steam (broccoli, asparagus, carrots, corn, peas, etc) that you can get for pretty cheap and the chicken is inexpensive too (it goes bad quickly though so u have to buy every 3-4 days)

@coarsedame - once u start eating healthy, junk food makes u feel sick! (or not so good) trust me...u just have to stick with it for a bit
cutephantasm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD on 2nd November 2009, 3:03 am

@ cutephantasm: The cool thing is that there are some really good meat subtitutes out now. The chicken substitutes have gotten amazing!

@coarsedame & curlynikki: I only spend about 50-75 a week. But I am single and do not have to purchase meat. I purchase grains (brown rice, pasta) often and try to buy in bulk when I can. I buy fruits and veggies based on what is in season (these are usually cheaper as well). I shop at Farmer's Markets, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and the occasional local grocery store. I read the sale papers on sunday and determine what I want to eat for the week! Remember to buy only what you need in fruits and veggies so you don't waste money if it spoils!
For those who are interested Trader Joe's and some local grocers sale a brand of meat substitutes by Gardein. These are amazing and taste alot like meat! They even give meal ideas on the back.
The link below gives a list of foods that are more likely to contain pesticides and should be bought organic when necessary. It also lists those that do not NEED to be bought organic. You can print the cards
http://www.foodnews.org/

Sorry if that was too much info! Night!
TerraD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD on 2nd November 2009, 3:07 am

Oh yeah, word to the wise, frozen foods are frozen at their peak (ripe). They are typically cheaper than fresh, keep longer and taste better. Some may disagree, but I read this in Fitness magazine LOL
TerraD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm on 2nd November 2009, 3:47 am

@TerraD you are soo disciplined mapping out your grocery shopping! I usually end up in the grocery store when we are out of everything and when im STARVING so i tend to buy a lot!! i should try that....lol
cutephantasm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD on 2nd November 2009, 3:56 am

I have to do that because otherwise I leave the store with enough food for a family of 4! LOL
TerraD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

excerise routines?

Post by SamMcFly57 on 9th November 2009, 3:30 am

is it better to Exercise everyday for 20 mins OR exercise 3X - 4X a week for 40 mins?
SamMcFly57

Location : Bloomington, In (Indiana University- IU) for college AND Indianapolis, IN for home

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kichca on 9th November 2009, 2:22 pm

CurlySpeechTherapist wrote:I haven't eaten meat since I was a child (over twenty years ago) and I am surely not one of those people who tries to convince everyone to be like me, but I have to say "long live" and "meat" do not belong in the same sentence. We all know by now that it's healthier for your mind, body, and the environment not to eat it. Even my grandmother, who is the queen of meat (pigs feet and all), says it doesn't taste or feel the same anymore (due to the animals' living conditions, slaughter conditions, and treatments -- like radiation -- that are done to meat to get it grocery-ready). Since we're talking health I had to chime in.

I'm with you, TerraD, though it's never been hard for me not to eat it. You'll be fit well into your future with half the work because of your diet alone. Good for you!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

@tyza21 -- Good for you, too!!

TerraD wrote:@coarsedame & curlynikki: I only spend about 50-75 a week.

@CurlySpeechTherapist: PREACH, girl!!! I don't push my vegetarian views down anyone's throats, but it's very important to be educated on the things we eat - meat especially. My mind and body love me for the way I choose to nourish it, and that will be evident for many years to come.

@TerraD: You are so right! My wallet loves me for omitting meat products from my grocery list!

kichca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by divadr175 on 11th November 2009, 4:08 am

I'm so glad I stumbled onto this page this morning. I'm in serious danger of yo-yo dieting my way right back to my 227 pound former weight. I've been out of what I call "the zone" for 18 months, though I was doing really well this summer to get ready for my sister's wedding, then got sidelined by an ankle injury I still haven't recovered from. Physical Therapy starts tomorrow but I'm going to start today by getting my refrigerator and cabinets restocked with all the healthy fruits and vegetables I know I need to be eating. Thanks ladies for some inspiration. Now for accountability.
divadr175

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Queen on 12th November 2009, 8:00 pm

*CurlyNikki* wrote:gammainme, they offer free yoga in my neighborhood...but its at 6 which is my down time, plus I have nothing cute to wear, lol. I'd like to start walking outdoors in the morn, but again, I have nothing cute to wear! Is that vain? I just feel like once I get some cute sweats and some cute tennis shoes, I'll be ready to go. Wink

Now you know I'm about to get you...... You are going to come to my Yoga class AND you have plenty of cute things to wear so hush your bellyaching. Don't make me buy something for you, pull your head ass to the side, and dress you. You know I'm good for it....... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina on 12th November 2009, 10:41 pm

Terra and CurlySpeech...I would love for you ladies to go to the Recipe Swap thread and post some of your recipes for vegetarian meals. While we aren't vegetarians(we eat chicken and seafood) we do eat a lot of vegetarian/meatless meals. I'm interested in learning how to make some new things because we do want to be healthier and I think eventually we will let go of meat altogether. I've read bad things about soy products Terra...is that chicken substitute you were talking about soy based? Hubby and I are both slender so we definitely aren't trying to lose weight and we both love to eat. I'm all over the place with this post...I'm gone lol
AfrikanLatina

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD on 12th November 2009, 11:25 pm

AfricanLatina: There are a lot of soy issues going on. I consume a decent amount, so I watch it! Too much soy acts like estrogen. Which is fine for some, but not others. The chicken substitutes from Gardein are predominantly wheat and pea proteins, but it does contain soy as well. Wheat gluten does not work for those with Crohn's. I am definitely slender as well, I make sure to get my protein because I can't afford to lose weight LOL. I have not lost any weight since going vegan early this year. I will post a few recipes for you!

Here is the Gardein website:
http://www.gardein.com/index.php
TerraD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina on 13th November 2009, 12:56 am

Yeah, Im going to try to stay away from soy as much as possible. I still eat some because we use the veggie shreds(cheese). I was worried about my protein intake particularly while I was pregnant because I wasn't eating a lot of meat and I'm not particularly fond of beans. (I was thinking beans and meat were the only ways to get protein lol) I just began eating black beans but they have to be mixed in with something. I make southwest eggrolls and put black beans in them and I eat black beans and rice. In the end I just want to be healthy so we can teach our son healthy eating habits. Thanks Terra. I can't wait to see what recipes you post. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl on 16th November 2009, 3:51 pm

Well you ladies have inspired me. I can't realistically see myself cutting out meat from my diet right now but I need to eat more veggies and healthy snacks. So, I'm going to try not eating rice with my dinner and just do veggies and meat (usually chicken or fish). I know brown rice is good for you but I haven't really found one that I like that much. I also love fruits so I'll increase my fruit intake as well.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to challenge myself to drink more water instead of juices. Although we only buy 100% juice with no high fructose corn syrup or added sugars, I know drinking it all day isn't going to help me either. So now what I do is drink water whenever I'm thirsty and only allow myself 1 glass of juice a day. After a few days of doing that, juice doesn't taste as good as it used to and it often tastes too sweet (and I NEVER think anything is too sweet!). Don't get me wrong, I have my weak moments because my husband makes some really good (and really sweet) lemonade that makes me cave....but I'm still working on it!

But after just the first week of my water challenge I definitely felt a difference. I felt like I lost a little weight and I noticed that my stomach doesn't feel all bubbly after eating (sorry tmi?) The only annoying thing is that I'm constantly going to the bathroom!
jamaicacurl

View user profile http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD on 16th November 2009, 7:59 pm

jamaicacurl: I cheat when I make brown rice. Success has a minute brown rice that comes in a boil-in-bag. It takes 10 minutes to cook and for ~$2 you get four bags in the box! It tastes much better and is much quicker than traditional brown rice. Just an idea!
TerraD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina on 16th November 2009, 8:21 pm

My brown rice always comes out either too had or mushy. I don't know why. I think its come out the way I like maybe twice. I bought some rice from Whole Foods from the section where you put it in the little clear baggies yourself. It turned out quite tasty. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD on 16th November 2009, 9:31 pm

Yep, africanlatina that's what the success rice looks like. It's in clear bags. Maybe I need to check out the rice from whole foods!
TerraD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlySpeechTherapist on 17th November 2009, 12:37 am

CoarseDame wrote:This is extremely educational!! I always say I would like to change the way I eat, and I just don't know HOW. I'm one of those people who think life is too short and I should enjoy what I want (crazy right). Well I'm ready to drop that act. I just need to have the money to do it.

I'd like to know how much you spend at the grocery store? (cutephantasm) and any of you other healthy eaters!

Meats are more expensive than most things healthy. I know my portion of the groceries do not cost nearly as much as my man's (non-vegetarian) items, and are much healthier. It's a win-win. And he loves my food, so I'm really shopping for everyone in the house when I shop for myself - they all end up eating it pig

Last edited by CurlySpeechTherapist on 17th November 2009, 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
CurlySpeechTherapist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlySpeechTherapist on 17th November 2009, 12:41 am

@kichca, thanks and I agree!!
CurlySpeechTherapist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina on 17th November 2009, 4:31 pm

Curlyspeech...I'm still waiting on a recipe sis!
AfrikanLatina

Back to top Go down

Post by cocoachanel on 31st December 2009, 10:27 am

I personally set my treadmill for 3.0 to 3.5 speed and 6-9 incline. I find that this gets me into a nice stride that could turn into a slow jog if I wanted it to, but the walking pace is good for cardio. I burn between 150 and 200 calories in 15 minutes.

I'm personally transitioning to a vegan diet in 2010. I have had some trial periods in 2009 and I find I feel so much healthier when I'm not eating any animal products. I have more energy, my mood is better (I call it vegan induced euphoria, lol), my mind is clearer, my skin is clearer and brighter. I even notice that I don't get morning breath. All these changes happen pretty much over night for me.

I have found so many resources online to help me with my vegan journey. Just google, and you find so much stuff!
cocoachanel

View user profile http://perfectiongranted.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm on 20th February 2010, 7:55 pm

I'm hopping back on this thread...I've lost a bit of weight that I need to gain back...

I havent really worked out too much this winter, which led me to be at what I consider my 'perfect' weight which is about 120-125lbs (I am 5'3" tall...at that weight I am still in between a size 1/3 in jeans and small/xsmall in tops!) for some reason, my body develops muscle really effortlessly...

I started going to the gym again, and eating a littlbe bit less which has led me to lose about 10lbs! (I am about 115-120 now)...soo..I need to up my caloric intake to about 4,000 calories a day if I want to get back to 120/125 and back into what I (also my husband and friends) think is my optimal weight...

Its funny, because I have a friend who is about 5'2, 108lbs, and she is a bigger size than me when I am about 125lbs! My body is much more densely packed I guess

I'm not going to cut out going to the gym (because it is awesome for me in so many ways) but I am going to try and eat more healthy foods...more protein shakes...more fruits and veggies...etc.
cutephantasm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum