CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEED a Big Sis!

2 posters

Go down

NEED a Big Sis! Empty NEED a Big Sis!

Post by A-Felice 10th April 2010, 4:05 am

Hello, this is only my second post so you can tell I'm new around here.
I big chopped on April Fools this year (ha ha) and now I am simply
overwhelmed with all the different...

• Products for natural hair.
  • Concerns about silicones, sulfates and proteins. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
  • Hair terms and tips everyone seems to give, and I can't tell if its relevant to me.
  • Deep conditioning routines, Natural haircare recipes...

And I can go on. It seems I'm on information overload, and it's making
me really paranoid that I'm not doing what's right for my hair. I even
gave in and flat ironed just today, just so I could have something
different from wash and goes, not to worry, I won't be doing that
often. It took me 3 hrs and lasted 30mins before curling back up.

I can, however, tell you what I've been doing with my hair and what my concerns are.

I've been shampoing with Karen's Body Beautiful Moist Shampoo Bar (not so moist if you ask me) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
and Conditining with Tresseme Naturals. Afterward I'd usually apply
Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Nectar and either Fantasia IC gel or Kinky
Curly Curling Custard...which I've only used once. (and I don't know
how i feel about it) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm worried about dryness... my hair feels dry when I wake up in the morning. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I'm worried the shampoo bar is drying out my hair, but I can't bring
myself to go completely shampooless, although I did co-wash a few times
during my transition (9 months). I have not done a deep conditioner
yet, cause I have NO IDEA what to use... although today I did by two
organic root stimulator olive oil replenishing paks, cause it worked
pretty well for my transition...?

I don't like heavy weighing products, [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and neither do my curls and I also dislike leaving my house with my hair wet. I have no memory of my hair care before it was relaxed or what it was like, even though I was eleven when I first relaxed...lol. My hair type is.. blank. I don't know, I do know however that my hair eats products. Seriously it takes alot of conditioner to even coat my hair, which must mean its porous right...which is bad or...good? I really am clueless. I suppose I need a really experienced, patient Big Sis who is really on it with the technical stuff, because I am really obsessive. I feel like I've worked so hard for this head of hair and I really don't want to mess it up. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sorry for being so very, very tedious. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So....any suggestions? Anyone want to be my big sis and help me through my journey? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I've added a pick of my head of hair for observation [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
A-Felice
A-Felice

Back to top Go down

NEED a Big Sis! Empty Re: NEED a Big Sis!

Post by nikkinixnicole 10th April 2010, 4:57 pm

I wanna be your big sis!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I've been natural for 5 years so I've been through the fire and back with this head of hair! LOL

Here are a few pointers to start off (based on my experiences):

- Don't be afraid to experiment with different products. This is essentially how you find out what works best for YOU. You said that your hair eats products.. so for leave in conditioners, you could try a thicker conditioner such as lustrasilk (My hair eats products too and this one works well for my hair so far).

- Castor oil (100% pure) is the best for dryness! I had crazy dryness in the past, especially during the winter months and this oil quenched my hair's thirst!

- leave-in conditioners are also pretty good. I use them every single time I wash or cowash my hair.

- Forget figuring out your hair type (I stopped a long time ago lol). Whatever it happens to be, make sure its healthy! Nutrition, water intake, and hair products all make a difference in your hair's health!

- AVOID HEAT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!! I'm currently experiencing heat damage and let me tell you, if I could go back in time, I'd avoid that crazy hot flat iron at the hairdressers! Last summer, my hair was nice, long (well past collar bone!), healthy, and thick. I figured flat ironing it, as long as I conditioned alot, wouldn't be a bad choice [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I was wrong!! My hair got some serious heat damage, so if you flat iron, apply a heat protectant and make sure the iron is not too hot (and you're not smelling burnt hair while doing it). I'm currently regrowing my hair al over again! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

- Try different natural oils... coconut oil, olive oil, jasmine oil, almond oil.. be a regular at the health food store! lol

- Headbands are great for styling when transitioning! They go great with twists, twist outs, braids, braid outs, buns, wash n gos..

This is what I've got for now. Feel free send me a PM. I'm happy to answer any questions or just talk about any hair issues!

BTW, love the hair pic!!

Good luck with your journey!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by A-Felice 10th April 2010, 10:31 pm

YAY! I'm so happy! I thought I was being rediculously demanding. LOL I'm sending you a PM now, and I'm also on facebook too. Smile YAY!!!

In my message I asked about oils, but I just saw what you sid about Castor oil...I was just super excited when I read you reply and I glossed that over. lol

I'm so paranoid about heat damage...and I did smell burning hair when I was ironing it...even thoug I did apply a heat protectant! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I just washed it though and all my curlies are back..but now I think I'll have a flat iron phobia... which begs the question...what am I gonna do with my hair come graduation?? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by A-Felice on 10th April 2010, 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More Info)
A-Felice
A-Felice

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 12th April 2010, 2:49 pm

I sent you a reply! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

There's so much you could do to your hair for graduation other than flat ironing: Weaves, braids, twists, styled twist out or braid out, different types of buns..

Google some hairstyles to get some ideas! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum