Not Trying to Lose Weight...

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Not Trying to Lose Weight...

Post by *CurlyNikki* on 24th October 2009, 11:32 am

All you fitness gurus:
How fast should I be walking on my treadmill (i'm not going to run, [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )? How long, and how often? I want to maintain my current weight and increase muscle tone. For the toning I do free weights...should I be doing more?
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

View user profile http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Not Trying to Lose Weight...

Post by cutephantasm on 24th October 2009, 12:33 pm

hello...just wanted to say I absolutely ADORE your website (it shows up on my homepage as one of my most frequently visited websites!) I am a lurker on virtually all hair forums...have been natural for about 3 years and have never joined a site before...but when you started a community, I just HAD to join! =)

Working out (cardio especially) is healthy for the body and leads to longevity.

Now for your question....90% of what your body looks like is based on what you eat. One thing that many people do not notice is that muscle weighs more than fat. If you work out (i.e use the treadmil) you will be burning calories which in turn burns fat, but at the same time, you will also gain muscle.

I also have a fast metabolism and eat A LOT. The trick is I eat healthy foods all the time. When I workout regularly (I can get lazy sometimes) I end up eating more to compensate for the calories being burned. My weight can range from 105lbs-115lbs, however, my clothing size doesnt really change. The more I work out, the more fat I burn, and the more muscle I build, hence, the more I weigh. When you have more muscle, you need to begin eating more because your metabolism speeds up.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Don't be alarmed if the scale says that you are heavier than you were when you started...you should pay closer attention to how your clothes fit and how you feel, rather than weight.

Last edited by cutephantasm on 24th October 2009, 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : making it smaller...lol)
cutephantasm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* on 24th October 2009, 12:38 pm

Thanks chica! Ummm...is that you in your avatar? 'Cause, WOW!

Can you give me an example of your menu (bfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) on a regular day?

Thanks again!
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

This is good for losing, gaining, or maintaining weight

Post by cutephantasm on 24th October 2009, 1:21 pm

I don’t typically eat breakfast/lunch in a specific order…sometimes I will have breakfast for dinner and vice versa.

First you should try to make sure you have the following in your arsenal

· Excellent non-stick cookware (this will cut down the amount of oil you will need)
Instead of pouring oil in the pan, put a little on a napkin and lightly coat the pan with the oil thats on the napkin only. This will provide more than enough oil
·A steamer (veggies taste wayyy better seasoned)
* Countertop oven (not vital, but cooks food 10x faster!)

Breakfast (I dont like most breakfast foods...they make me nauseous!)
· Oatmeal & a fruit
· Eggs (cooked any way)

Lunch
· Tuna salad on bread with lettuce & tomatoes (I never finish a whole sandwich! You get full after like half) How I make my tuna salad – 1tsp Mayo, 1 pickle minced, ¼ Onion Minced, 1 can tuna, salt & pepper to taste. (its fun experimenting and adding more things in there)
· Turkey, Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato on whole wheat
· Salad (any kind really and long as you skip the dressing and instead add light olive oil or vinegar to it….dressings have a TON of calories and sometimes fat, so just read the ingredients well)
· Steamed veggies (and kind of veggies, the more the merrier…cut them up and throw them in the steamer…add salt and pepper if you wish)

Dinner
·
Chicken & Steamed veggies (cut up some chicken breasts and throw them in the steamer with the veggies!) Add a bit of seasoning to the chicken if you like
· Chicken wings (I love these cuz they cook quickly…) I usually add adobo & poultry seasoning and put them in the countertop oven thingie….cooks in 20-30 mins
·Steak however you like it….light on the sauce…if you can eat steak rare-medium it has more flavor…once you get past medium is when u have to get heavy handed with the seasoning for it to taste good
· Soup! – I throw EVERYTHIN BUT THE KITCHEN SINK in….. chicken… beef…. potatoes… broccoli… beets…. celery… etc…

Snacks
·Nuts (Almonds, Pistachios, etc) are high in fat but good fat. A handful or so would suffice as an in between meals snack.
· Blueberries – are one of the best antioxidants. A handful or so is also a good snack
· Any kind of whole fruit (Pears, Apricots, Oranges, Tangerines, etc)
· Beans – precooked unsalted/unsweetened canned beans are a good snack. Salt to taste (I also heat them up)
· Any type of veggies
· Light fruit juice/veggie juice (fresh is better)

Have 1 snack in between each meal….you also don’t need to work out that often (2-4x a week is enough…make sure you rest in between workouts)

Protein is also good for gaining weight...

If you feel you want to lose weight, eat smaller portions....if you want to gain weight, eat larger portions.
cutephantasm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm on 24th October 2009, 1:29 pm

*CurlyNikki* wrote:Thanks chica! Ummm...is that you in your avatar? 'Cause, WOW!

Can you give me an example of your menu (bfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) on a regular day?

Thanks again!

Yes it is me [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ....thanks I say "WOW" everytime I see your hair! lol
cutephantasm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* on 24th October 2009, 1:32 pm

You are so on it! Thanks a million! I'm off to make a grocery list [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel on 24th October 2009, 7:09 pm

i totally co-sign with cutephantasm!!! most of maintaining is from your diet. you will see a difference in the quality of your hair!! I also eat like a horse, but i eat the good, healthy stuff. if you want to maintain your body weight, i would think 30-60 mins 3x a week of physical activity is sufficient.
dajewel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD on 25th October 2009, 11:08 pm

cutephantasm is about to make me start working out again! I'm vegan so I eat healthy, but I also eat like a horse hehe (dajewel). I'm slim, but have lost a lot of muscle tone. I will be running in the morning! Smile

P.S.
I love this blog!
TerraD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé on 25th October 2009, 11:40 pm

This summer I (and my husband) was on a mission to gain weight. I was terribly underweight but it runs in the family so it's wasn't too scary. I am also extremely out of shape. So after doing some research, I decided to drink protein shakes and snack on healthy high calorie snacks all day. Then in the evenings I would workout lightly...careful not to sweat. I got in better shape and gained some weight...I am really feeling myself right now, LOL.
tiashaunteé

View user profile http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD on 25th October 2009, 11:59 pm

tiashauntee wrote:This summer I (and my husband) was on a mission to gain weight. I was terribly underweight but it runs in the family so it's wasn't too scary. I am also extremely out of shape. So after doing some research, I decided to drink protein shakes and snack on healthy high calorie snacks all day. Then in the evenings I would workout lightly...careful not to sweat. I got in better shape and gained some weight...I am really feeling myself right now, LOL.

Cool what kind of shakes/snacks did you eat?
TerraD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé on 26th October 2009, 12:04 am

TerraD wrote:
tiashauntee wrote:This summer I (and my husband) was on a mission to gain weight. I was terribly underweight but it runs in the family so it's wasn't too scary. I am also extremely out of shape. So after doing some research, I decided to drink protein shakes and snack on healthy high calorie snacks all day. Then in the evenings I would workout lightly...careful not to sweat. I got in better shape and gained some weight...I am really feeling myself right now, LOL.

Cool what kind of shakes/snacks did you eat?

We used some Protein powder that you can purchase from Walmart (I don't recall the brand), it's about $14-15. I would mix that in the blender with some fruit (fresh or frozen), honey, and lemon juice. It was a perfect high calorie breakfast. Then before lunch I would eat a bowl of oatmeal. During the day I had apples, bananas, any fruit in season...I would snack on it all day. A lot of money was spent on food, LOL. In one month I was able to gain almost 15lbs.
tiashaunteé

View user profile http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel on 26th October 2009, 1:01 am

TerraD wrote:cutephantasm is about to make me start working out again! I'm vegan so I eat healthy, but I also eat like a horse hehe (dajewel). I'm slim, but have lost a lot of muscle tone. I will be running in the morning! Smile

P.S.
I love this blog!

although i love my veggies and fruits, i love me my animal meat!! sorry, i had to put that in there!!
dajewel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm on 26th October 2009, 2:45 am

dajewel wrote:
although i love my veggies and fruits, i love me my animal meat!! sorry, i had to put that in there!!

lol it almost doesnt seem like a meal to me without meat!
cutephantasm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD on 26th October 2009, 3:04 am

I understand, it was hard for me to fathom at first, but now I have so many options to choose from. I mostly did it for health reasons, so it was definitely worth it
TerraD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel on 26th October 2009, 10:59 am

cutephantasm wrote:
dajewel wrote:

lol it almost doesnt seem like a meal to me without meat!

for real!!!! long live the meat!!!! lol!!
dajewel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gammainme on 26th October 2009, 3:59 pm

cutephantasm just totally made me so no to chik fa le for lunch:) great post:). Nikki have you thought of pilates or yoga?
gammainme

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoColli on 30th October 2009, 6:59 pm

these posts are very inspiring..kudos ladies..im interested now in doing more research on this topic...
and making some changes!..
Smile
LoColli

View user profile http://www.twitter.com/BellePoupee

Back to top Go down

Post by tyza21 on 1st November 2009, 4:55 pm

Hey TerraD,
Glad to know there is another non meat eater here. I have been a vegetarian on and off for the last 2 years but have decided to put down the chicken, and enjoy more fruits and veggies!! Hopefully I will achieve vegan status in the future. Kudos to everyone trying to be healthy no matter the route you decide to take! bounce

tyza21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* on 1st November 2009, 8:28 pm

gammainme, they offer free yoga in my neighborhood...but its at 6 which is my down time, plus I have nothing cute to wear, lol. I'd like to start walking outdoors in the morn, but again, I have nothing cute to wear! Is that vain? I just feel like once I get some cute sweats and some cute tennis shoes, I'll be ready to go. Wink
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlySpeechTherapist on 1st November 2009, 8:54 pm

I haven't eaten meat since I was a child (over twenty years ago) and I am surely not one of those people who tries to convince everyone to be like me, but I have to say "long live" and "meat" do not belong in the same sentence. We all know by now that it's healthier for your mind, body, and the environment not to eat it. Even my grandmother, who is the queen of meat (pigs feet and all), says it doesn't taste or feel the same anymore (due to the animals' living conditions, slaughter conditions, and treatments -- like radiation -- that are done to meat to get it grocery-ready). Since we're talking health I had to chime in.

I'm with you, TerraD, though it's never been hard for me not to eat it. You'll be fit well into your future with half the work because of your diet alone. Good for you!! Very Happy

@tyza21 -- Good for you, too!!
CurlySpeechTherapist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm on 1st November 2009, 9:44 pm

*CurlyNikki* wrote:I have nothing cute to wear! Is that vain? I just feel like once I get some cute sweats and some cute tennis shoes, I'll be ready to go. Wink

strawberry's usually has cute yoga pants...so does Century 21 (do they have those stores there??) Wet seal has as well.... (I buy a lot of cute workout clothes!)

Modells is good for sports bras (I <3 champion sports bras) and u can get those cute tank tops the stretchy ones or spaghetti straps just about anywhere! As far as tennis shoes....FOOT LOCKER has the widest selection and the cutest styles (try them on and make sure they are comfy, not just cute!)

Good thing is you can get most of these things for relatively little money =)

I live in NYC so right now, warm trumps cute lol
cutephantasm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD on 1st November 2009, 10:37 pm

*CurlyNikki* wrote:gammainme, they offer free yoga in my neighborhood...but its at 6 which is my down time, plus I have nothing cute to wear, lol. I'd like to start walking outdoors in the morn, but again, I have nothing cute to wear! Is that vain? I just feel like once I get some cute sweats and some cute tennis shoes, I'll be ready to go. Wink

Nikki I found some super cute yoga gear at Marshall's. It's usually really reasonable!
TerraD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD on 1st November 2009, 10:44 pm

tyza21 and curlyspeechtherapist78, Thanks.
That was the main reason from my part, I feel meat isn't as safe as it should be or used to be and our health statistics show it! I definitely don't push my views on others. I just do me, no one else in my family is vegetarian, but they will eat meat-free meals. My grandma said the same thing and she didn't even realize how many meat-free meals she cooked because of it!
TerraD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm on 1st November 2009, 11:04 pm

TerraD wrote:I feel meat isn't as safe as it should be or used to be and our health statistics show it! I definitely don't push my views on others

Girl...you are probably right! Giving up me is super hard for me!! Maybe I will try it out for a week...or at least cut down! (though now im down to only once a day) Maybe i can eat less of it and slowly (verryyyy slowly) wean myself off meat over time!
cutephantasm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlySpeechTherapist on 1st November 2009, 11:09 pm

@TerraD: Grandma's know!!

Most of my friends eat meat, but if they are at all health conscious they eat at least one meatless meal a day.

Cute hair by the way....
CurlySpeechTherapist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next