CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out

+27
jlowman1
nattyblog
LadyMika
Nikcoils
priceless
CurlsGalore
Juices-n-Berries
poeticlyspkng
Muz
CurlyChefRobin
DvaAuNaturel
mrsmackey
Curly_Aquarius
KinkyNappyHappy
ChrsLvsBks
SheeTacular
ktoliver5303
krazy coils
TheRYL1
BlondeByDesire
Intelligentbeauty
NubieNatty
mstokes2008
bholmes87
Lynnieluve
sweetdrk1
swoodward
31 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 2 Empty A brand new journey

Post by swoodward 9th May 2010, 8:18 pm

Thanks!!! I will give this a try next time - (Monday or Tuesday I think).

the last minute thing: that is definitely my problem. I am less than useless in the morning. I am so a night person, it's ridiculous. So I think I was battling incompetence as well as lack of knowledge and no idea what to do in the time I had. I have never worked with my hair to build it's natural curl in my life.

I started doing my own hair probably around 1969 or 1970 so I could look like the girls in my class. My poor mom was clueless about her own at the time and clueless about mine. I set out to learn how to make my hair look like the latest fashions (at the time that was two side plaits or a bun at the top of the head with curly tendrils just over each ear). By the time I turned 15 or so I really discovered how to get my hair to swing like the white girls - no grease, just moisturizers. I relaxed my own hair. I would roller set my hair and carefully blow dry each section in the roller until almost dry . Oh yea, I remember when the blow dryer first came out and no, they didn't have them in the 60s!

I never really learned enough to grow my hair as long as my hair idols (Marcella and Patrice, are you out there?) and once I started relaxing, the length I really wanted was out of my reach. Funny that.

Anyway, the whole time I worked with my hair I rarely worked with it's curls except to learn how to do a pretty big afro. Nowadays, afros are just one of many ways to wear natural hair.

I confess, since my hair doesn't hang like MahoganyCurls I assumed I couldn't try it. This whole thing is like a brand new life for my hair.

Last edited by swoodward on 9th May 2010, 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited the title)
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 2 Empty Re: Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out

Post by swoodward 11th May 2010, 12:53 am

I am not feeling all that great about my style. I have only worn 2 styles since my BC - a twist out and a head band. My Wash and Gos started out fine but I have gotten awful results in the last week. I have hit a rut.

Henna works ok - twist-outs work ok, but every one else seems to be making so much progress and I feel like I have gone backwards. I am not even sure I have mastered moisturizing.

I am probably being hard on myself but I really hope I can pick up on the styling more in the next few weeks.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 2 Empty Re: Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out

Post by TheRYL1 11th May 2010, 1:28 am

Hey SWoodward!

Have you tried a braid-out? For me, I french braid/cornrow my hair...that's a good one to try.

What other products do you use on your hair...like coconut oil, shea butter, etc.? I ask because maybe if you know what products work for your hair...then you can get the brands that have those ingredients...that's the key!

And keep trying, girl! ;-) I'm kinda in the middle zone...where I'm finally adjusting to my hair as it is...this is a long journey.

Also, get some of that Yes to Cucumbers conditioiner...it is the business...and it seems to "help" hairstyles be better. :-)
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 11th May 2010, 1:55 pm

Hey SWooodward I have enjoyed reading your story.Like the RYL1 suggested have you tried a braidout before? When my hair grew long enough I begin to plait my hair into small plaits and removed them before work. Also what conditioner are you using under your gel when you do a wng? Something more moisturizing could stop the dry feeling.

My hair doesn't hang with a wng either so I shingle from the back and I also prefer to sit under a dryer. I don't have enough hair to pineapple my hair with a scrunchie at night so to get more than one day out of a wng I pin my hair with clips
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 11th May 2010, 2:45 pm

Also try adding finger coils and roller sets into your regimen. Most importantly don't give up. Keep at it until you discover what YOUR hair wants and needs. Also try the Stylin & Profillin thread, you may find something helpful there. Chin up my friend. Also post some pics of your hair I bet it's no where near as bad as you deem it. WE are most critical of ourselves!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 11th May 2010, 2:55 pm

Hey Swoodward, just stopping by to say hello and check on you. I do understand what you are saying about hitting a rut. Just keep going honey it will work out in due time!
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 12th May 2010, 12:20 pm

Howdy Neighbor!! Keep trying I am sure you will find a style that you absolutely love!!
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 12th May 2010, 1:20 pm

Hey Swoodward! Where you at? How you doin' today? :-)

I'm currently in a raggedy hair moment! My hair is a coily BALL OF FUZZ! That's all I can call it. (But, it's still soft..Yes to Cucumbers!)

After I take my daughter to school (yep, I'm going outdoors like this), I'm just going to wet it and start over! It happens...don't be discouraged. Like Sweet said, don't give up!
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 12th May 2010, 10:24 pm

Thanks! I needed to hear that. Sometimes I just don't have any idea of how to get past the idea of my hair vs the reality of my hair. That sounds crazy but I can't think of another way to describe it. I love catching my hair reflected in a mirror or glass. It feels and looks different and moder. But other times I try to do something with it and am really disappointed. I have to understand my hair and help it look good, right?

It's not my feet are wrong for these shoes, it's the shoes are not right for my feet.

TheRyl1 and krazy coils, I will try a braid out. Right now the best thing for me seems to be a twist out so I think a braid out would be great.
So for you two and sweetdrk1, ktoliver5303 and SheeTacular_Napps -keep it comin', I need support from gorgeous role models like you !

Ok, it's off to stylin and profilin!

Thanks for listening! Pics tomorrow.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 12th May 2010, 10:31 pm

Hey checking on you...*hugs*
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 12th May 2010, 10:39 pm

hangin'

tired!

*hugs* back!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 2 Empty Feeling a little better

Post by swoodward 13th May 2010, 11:22 pm

Ok, I nosed around a few topics and made a few changes - Oh, and I tried to take a pic that DIDN'T look like a mug shot!

My hair was so dry from the bad w&gos I co washed twice this week with white rain (recommended by chicoro) and conditioned with the Deva One but I did not rinse it out.

New rule, I am not rinsing out my conditioners for a while. MahoganyCurls mentioned this a while ago and I never tried. Now that I have, i likey!

My hair feels really soft and not greasy. It's pretty shiny and i got a lot of compliments. Now I am still stuck in a style rut but i am going to take it slow and look at this as a learning process.

here are pics. I really like this jacket!

Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 2 Dscf1122

Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 2 Dscf1123

Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 2 Dscf1124

Last edited by swoodward on 13th May 2010, 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added title)
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 13th May 2010, 11:25 pm

WHY ARE THERE ALWAYS CATS IN MY PICTURES!!! Look at the one with the jacket! she is a real picture hog. Oh well, at least my place is sort of clean.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 13th May 2010, 11:29 pm

My mom did not know what to do with my hair either. I did my own hair at the age of nine.

Please remember trial and error are needed to see what your hair likes and doesn't like. Write down what you use and the results. The more detailed the better. IntelligentBeauty is a prime example of taking note of what works and what does not.

Your hair looks great!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 13th May 2010, 11:38 pm

am so glad you feel better. Chrs said a mouth full trial and error. This is a safe place.
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 13th May 2010, 11:43 pm

Thanks!!! and thanks for the compliment!!!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 13th May 2010, 11:46 pm

Hey SWoodward your hair looks really soft and defined in the pictures! Keep up the good work and like Chrs mentioned make a note of the conditioners which are working for you.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 13th May 2010, 11:49 pm

Thanks krazy coils. Looks like I will be twisting for a while. I would have never considered white rain before. I am glad I took a risk.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 14th May 2010, 11:04 am

i was just admiring that u FINALLY smiled for ur pics til i got to the end of the pics Swoodward, working on retaining my growth - still working it out - Page 2 Icon_neutral tooooo funny!!

on a lighter note...i keep forgettin to tell u...u look GOOD for ur age!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 14th May 2010, 1:31 pm

Your hair looks great!!
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 14th May 2010, 10:53 pm

You look so pretty when you smile, lady! LOL

You're hair is looking good...keep up the good work! ;-)
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th May 2010, 12:14 am

Your hair looks great. It was hard for me to find the cat but I see it under the table.

I agree with the other ladies, you are pretty when you are smiling.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 15th May 2010, 10:06 pm

Wow! SheeTacular (Gosh I love that name), TheRyl1 and Lynnie you are making me smile now!!! I will try to smile more often.

NubieNatty, I feel pretty young so when I go over my memories I have to laugh because there is no way I should remember orange polyester jump suits. But I do! Thanks for the compliment! I think I just photograph young. It's kinda weird. I always think of how my mom looked when she was alive. Now she looked good for her age...

You ought to see my arsenal of skin products.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 16th May 2010, 10:13 pm

Hey Swoodward...how are you today? ;-)
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 17th May 2010, 6:54 am

I like your jacket as well. That's funny you should mention your cat...I didn't see him at first...LOL

So you just used conditioner and nothing else....nice w&g. I wonder how that would work on type 4 hair.

You had great results!!!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next