CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bullying

+2
transitioning?
popsbaby
6 posters

Go down

Bullying Empty Bullying

Post by popsbaby 30th March 2010, 10:25 am

I was reading the story of Phoebe Prince, a tennage girl who moved with her family to MA from Ireland. She was bullied, harrassed and even physically assaulted (in a way that I can't describe at work) for four months until she couldn't take anymore. She took her own life to escape. Now her bullies are facing charges (as well they should).
This is not the first case that I've read about bullying in our schools and the victims choosing to death over having to go back to school.

So my question is, what can parents do to teach kids not to bully and also to support their kids if they are the victims. What would you do if you found out that your child was a victim of bullying?
What would you do if you found out that your child was a bully?
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Bullying Empty Re: Bullying

Post by transitioning? 30th March 2010, 2:20 pm

Was this story on the news or something?
transitioning?
transitioning?

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 30th March 2010, 2:21 pm

Yup, it's on the front page of CNN.com
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonezy 30th March 2010, 3:53 pm

I think the bully attitude may come from the parents..... my parents are kind and loving to all no matter what--I am the same.... some parents don't realize their "ugly attitude" towards others rubs off on their kids.
Jonezy
Jonezy

http://www.bleucoiffure.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KreyolKatt 5th April 2010, 2:25 pm

I also read this story on CNN.com. Very sad.I can't imagine what this little girl was going through. What was equally disturbing were some of the comments people were making. For example, people were saying that "words/bullying can't lead you to commit suicide and that something must be wrong with her mentally . People should blame the girl and not to bullies." [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Are people really that cruel and insensitive?
Popsbaby, I also feel like every time I turn on the news I hear about some child commiting suicide over bullying ( real and cyber). I remember a young boy as young as 8 doing so recently. I think alot of it has to do with support. I think the kids need to feel as if they could go to someone ( parents, a teacher) for support. CNN makes it sound like the teachers knew and didn't care about Pheobe's situation. I don't have kids yet, but I know not to take the issue of bullying lightly. If my child is being bullied, I'd have to have a discussion with the other parents and school teachers/administrators. But like Jonezy mentioned, some kids learn to bully from their parents, and if thats the case, then a meeting b/t parents and school faculty probably wouldn't solve much. But I will take action and let my child know that they have my support and they could come to me with these issues ( and I would take it seriously and not just brush it off) and I will validate their feelings. I would never want my child to feel as if they were alone and have no other way out.
To answer your final question, if I EVER found out my child was the bully........Lord help me.... there would be furniture moving. Trust. ( but again, to echo Jonezy, if the parent doesn't have an "ugly attitude" or make rude comments about people , or behave in that type of manner in front of their children, I'd say it's less likely, not impossible, that this would happen.) From an early age, kids have to be taught to treat people with kindness and respect. I plan to let my little ones know that that type of behavior is unacceptable very early on.
**Phew. Good thread Popsbaby. This story really touched me too.****
KreyolKatt
KreyolKatt

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 30th April 2010, 3:24 pm

If there was Bullying at my child's school and the teachers/principal were turning a blind eye like they did to me, then I would be up at school asking them to do their d**n job or my child won't be going to that school anymore. And if my child was the bully then that would be something I need to deal with at home, because s/he may not be happy and I would want to know why s/he feels like bullying.

I agree with Jonezy's comment completely
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 30th April 2010, 5:23 pm

Well my daughter has been a recent victim of bullying and at the school district work at nonetheless, It was not until they(the girls) were ticketed did they stop, I also was told the mothers of the girls were egging it on.
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 30th April 2010, 8:07 pm

That's terrible, how could a mother think that's okay? Imagine how those girls are going to respect others when they get older. Just a shame.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 30th April 2010, 10:57 pm

Treece wrote:That's terrible, how could a mother think that's okay? Imagine how those girls are going to respect others when they get older. Just a shame.
Girl, I know it was hard for me to be the "mature adult"
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 30th April 2010, 11:33 pm

I can only imagine Curly. Those other mothers hardly seem mature
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 1st May 2010, 12:20 am