CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miami girl new to transitioning, would love a Big Sis for advice!

5 posters

Go down

Miami girl new to transitioning, would love a Big Sis for advice! Empty Miami girl new to transitioning, would love a Big Sis for advice!

Post by ChardaeD 22nd March 2010, 6:00 pm

I'm a new member of the forum. I've battled with myself off and on for about a year and a half about transitioning and going natural, but I never went through with it for multiple reasons. 1) I can't even remember what my natural hair looked like from my childhood, so I'm slightly scared; 2) my family was never supportive about it...my mom actually discouraged it; and 3) I work in an industry that is all about looks (besides providing the public with information)-- television news.

But, now I've said to hell with it, and I'm working on building a healthier, more natural me. I've started working out and taking better care of myself, but I want to take better care of my hair, too.

It's only been about 2 months since my last relaxer, and the South Florida humid summer full of rain is approaching, so I'd like to transition with hair styles that will mask the frizz. I'd also like to cut my hair off little by little, but I'm really curious to see what I'd look like with short hair. Right now my hair is about shoulder length.

I've decided I'm just gonna do me, but I would love some guidance and help from someone who's done it before. CurlyNikki.com is awesome, and the forum is full of great information.

If you know all about humidity, frizz, contact me!

Chardae
ChardaeD
ChardaeD

http://girlnotondeadline.blgospot.com

Back to top Go down

Miami girl new to transitioning, would love a Big Sis for advice! Empty Re: Miami girl new to transitioning, would love a Big Sis for advice!

Post by blackricangirl 23rd March 2010, 2:53 pm

I'm not a big sister but I wanted to reply anyways because I know your struggle. We actually have similar stories. I am from Miami, I have always wanted to be a natural but never had the guts to BC. I transitioned for about 9 or 10 months. My hair was at my shoulders as well so I would get inches cut off at a time. I used to wear braids, sew-ins, and braid outs/twist outs. I love my curls. I am officially a natural sister with no lye honey and I love it. My family think I'm crazy because I don't get perms which is strange because I started getting perms when I was in the 7th grade and I only got them twice a year. I've had my hair cut in short styles 5 times. It's just hair, it will grow back, and if u take care of it, it will look, feel and grow better than ever. Be encouraged and let's go through this together. I'm looking for a big sister as well.
blackricangirl
blackricangirl

Back to top Go down

Miami girl new to transitioning, would love a Big Sis for advice! Empty Re: Miami girl new to transitioning, would love a Big Sis for advice!

Post by BlondeByDesire 24th March 2010, 10:45 am

I'm new to natural and I have nothing to offer except you do you.

I'm still learning. I recently BC'd February 20 after transitioning for 15 months. I love my new natural hair. My hair was BSL while transitioning and I didn't cut off as I went along, something I was I had done. I now have more knowledge and a better understanding of the do's and don'ts of natural hair. There is a wealth of knowledge and information here and so many beautiful natural ladies.

You will get the help you need.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyCoilz 24th March 2010, 11:55 pm

I am also new to the forum. I have been transitioning for about 8 months now. I can not be a big sis to you but maybe we could go on our journey together...for support. It can be discouraging at times doing this alone when things are not working the way you thought. I am learning how to take care of my hair and this site has helped to point me in the right direction.

By the way, I found that flat twist out's , two strand twists and braid out's worked nicely while I was growing out my hair.
CurlyCoilz
CurlyCoilz

Back to top Go down

Post by avyishi 1st April 2010, 10:49 am

let's just say i've had natural hair way over 20 years, wow and you would think someone who said that would be older,lol

As far as humidity and frizz goes you might want to use a little eco styler gel with olive oil or whichever gel you like, with your hair routine. I also add carol's daughter hair milk to soaking wet hair before i add the gel.i don't always use it, but occasionally i will if i want to wash and go and it's going to be extra hot.

Don't worry you may think your hair is a frizzy mess and someone won't really see what you're talking about. To cut down on the appearance of it twist out and braids out will work with the gel and shea butter :-D

If you have any questions let me know [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avyishi
avyishi

http://public.fotki.com/beautywithcurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down