CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to CN..New to "natural"...HELP PLZ!

5 posters

Go down

New to CN..New to "natural"...HELP PLZ! Empty New to CN..New to "natural"...HELP PLZ!

Post by krazeecurlee 14th March 2010, 12:58 am

Hello All,
Soo excited I found this website! My last relaxer was Feb 08; however I have been flatironing the entire time other than the few months I wore a sew-in last summer. From the brief research I've done online I've learned that I have heat damage in the front on my hair. (The section tht was left out w/the sew-in). I have NO IDEA wht my hair type is! All I know is i'm tired of "fighting" my natural texture to make it straight. Where do I begin? Which style/products should I start with??? I have lots of lots of questions. I'm in Houston but welcome any and all suggestions..also how to post pics of my hair. Thanks in advance. Can't wait to hear your responses!

krazeecurlee

Back to top Go down

New to CN..New to "natural"...HELP PLZ! Empty Re: New to CN..New to "natural"...HELP PLZ!

Post by Hurricane Curly 15th March 2010, 12:56 am

Welcome to the party! Good news/bad news. Good news, you have been chemical free for two long years yeah, bad news because of the heat damage it's like starting all over. I totally understand been there done that. Good news, if the rest of your hair is free from heat damage then you can camouflage.

Where to begin
1. you need the right products to blend the heat damaged hair to the rest of your hair- a setting lotion and (depending on the length of your hair rollers (small to medium probably).

2. use silicone free products, if not, you will find that your hair is very dry. If it has "cone" in any part of the word stay away from it.

3. For now, you might want to use a low shampoo ( 1/2 water, 1/2 shampoo mix. a deep conditioner, I like organic root hair mayonaisse, (but use what works on your hair) a moisturizer (coconut oil, evoo, shea butter) this depends on your hair type shea butter can be heavy and evoo to light. But a lot of people swear by either shea butter or coconut oil. Today was my first time trying coconutl oil. I'll let you know how it goes. Lately to give my curls extra staying power, I've been using Miss Jessie's curly pudding

4. As far as styles go try the twist out or braid out. I twist or braid my damp hair with a dap of curly pudding then pin curl each section I take it down in the morning and fluff and I'm good to go. for the heat damaged section twist or braid and pin curl it or set it on rollers.

I hope this is enough to get you started.
Hurricane Curly
Hurricane Curly

Back to top Go down

New to CN..New to "natural"...HELP PLZ! Empty Re: New to CN..New to "natural"...HELP PLZ!

Post by MikMont 15th March 2010, 10:31 am

Hey, Im in Houston too. I literally just cut my relaxed hair off Friday night in my bathroom after transitioning with sew ins for about a year. I dont know my hair type either. But so far Ive use alba conditioner and shea butter and my hair is soft and moisturized, but not greasy.

I was so nervous about walking into work this morning. Apparently, Im the only one who is worried about my hair though. LOL.
MikMont
MikMont

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 15th March 2010, 10:51 am

Welcome ... good advice given above by Hurricane Curly.

As for the heat damage - there is no way around that. You can cut it off, grow out and and cut off or style ur hair around it to cover it up. To my knowledge it won't revert back.

Stay away from silicones, mineral oil, petroleum and sulfates. If any of your products have these ingridients in them, I would advice not to use them.

Natural or Organic products are a good start. If you live near a Whole Foods or a Health Food Store they have a good selection of natural products.

If you want a fresh start - I would suggest you clarify your hair first to get rid of all the gunk and build-up and cones.

As mentioned above sulfate free poos are a good choice.

Shea butter, EVCO, EVOO, Jojoba oil, a styling gel of your choice (EcoStyler, IC Fantasia) something without alcohol. A good moisturizing leave-conditioner (some use their regular conditioners).

The rule of thumb for naturals is to keep your moisturized and sealed.

YT has a ton of videos of naturals and product reviews.

The ladies on the BNB thread here also have a wealth of knowledge and experience. Check them out.

Good Luck.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by krazeecurlee 15th March 2010, 8:09 pm

Ladies,

Thanks so much for the advice! I'm gonna try the two strand twist on my hair tonight. NO MORE FLATIRONING! I purchased some Giovanni shampoo/conditoner..some KCKT, some raw sheabutter, the ic styling gel...lots of products. Of course will not try all today.

And BlondebyDesire Im gonna take your advice and clarify. Will attempt the baking soda method.

Keeping my fingers crossed [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

krazeecurlee

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 15th March 2010, 8:18 pm

If the baking soda doesn't work out I get great results with Suave's clarifying shampoo.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Curly 16th March 2010, 10:31 pm

Krazeecurlee, Keep us posted on your progress. As far as the coconut oil goes, I loved the way my hair turned out using the coconut oil. It has a lightfeel and is just as soft. But the look is different. It looks dryer then when I use shea butter. But it's not dry at all. I now have a differenrt option when styling.
Hurricane Curly
Hurricane Curly

Back to top Go down

Post by krazeecurlee 18th March 2010, 9:54 pm

Ok, Hurricane curly...This week and my "natural" tresses has felt like a Natural Disaster :-) However, I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED! I realize this is gonna be more challenging than I imagined.

The clarifying and deep condition left my hair very moisturized. I like the products I tried (giovanni, KCKT, shea butter, HEHH)! BUT my hair is BONE-STRAIGHT! Tried the twist out as you suggested: NO MA'AM! I did not use a setting lotion/styling creme..just shea on the ends..maybe that would have made a difference.

My two attempts at two strand twists were disastrous so today I let a professional mini-twist for me...I co-washed used the KCKT as a leave in, she twisted with organics loc&twist creme, shea on ends. The results: weeelll I'll just tell you my BF says I look like Snoop Dogg in '94. HA! Again, my hair is BONE straight so the twist are very thin..I'm gonna tough it out as long as possible. I think a TWA is in my very near future! BTW, your hair is absolutely inspiring!

krazeecurlee

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Curly 18th March 2010, 11:17 pm

BE PATIENT!. You are not alone.... I am here for you. Sorry I felt an MJ reference was needed [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Because you have flatironed your hair it is behaving like relaxed hair. Hence bone straight But do not fear. The shea butter is probably to heavy for your hair. So try a lighter sealant such as evoo or coconut oil. But very very little.

Think of it as another transition from relaxed hair. And yes, some type of setting lotion is necessary to create a look that will blend the damaged with the undamaged hair until you're ready to start trimming your hair. Just like BBD said it probably won't revert. But there are options as to how you decide to cut. I prefer to say trim because you can work around the damaged hair, but it will have to come off at some point. An inch at a time or a big chop. But be patient so you'll make the decision that you are comfortable with.

I understand completely your dilemma. I spent a year growing my hair out. I thought flatironing was a great idea [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] while I transitioned. It was almost. I was chemical free. My hair had thickened back up, but when I went for my Cleopatra Jones afro nothing. Then I heard the words "your hair is really trained. It presses so easily". That was code for "damaged". I was so hurt but not defeated. I reached into my Mother's arsenal of hair products and pulled out what appeared to be dippity do ( I don't reccommend that). I shampooed, conditioned, dippity do'd and set on rollers and let it air dry: because at that point any amout of heat was going to straighten my hair. I achieved my curly fro. It still didn't look like Cleopatra's but it was a start. Then slowly but surely I trimmed it away (another year). That was just the long way of saying, I understand.

Try to find some samples of setting lotions and gels in order to find out which ones will work for you. Try twisting again or better yet try braiding the sections ( the same amount you would put on a roller) and then setting each section on a roller. Try a sponge roller, air dry then take down and see how it goes. This will give you a curly fro. This is truly a weekend experiment until you get your sea legs.....uh hair legs back [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

Let me know what you think and how it goes.
Hurricane Curly
Hurricane Curly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down