Excema anyone?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Excema anyone?

Post by Curlz of Luv on 5th September 2010, 12:55 am

I have 2 daughters that are 5 and 8 years old, they have both had flare-ups of eczema as infants and toddlers. Since they are older it as been less and less frequent the older they get.

The things I have found out is Cetaphil cream in the jar not the lotion with the pump works great to keep their skin moisturized. In the winter I sometimes add a little almond oil for extra moisture at night.

I also alternate Dove soap for sensitive skin, black soap and Olivella soap (my mom ordered it on QVC for them)

My girl can use shea butter and I will mix that with the almond oil and usually apply it to their feet and hands in the winter sometimes.

Their bath water needs to be cool, people with ezcema are very sensitive to temperature. Too cold or too hot can be very irritating to them.

I always keep Aveeno oatmeal bath on hand, it relaxes them and soothes their skin.

I do not apply oil directly to their scalp.

Vaseline and Lubriderm irritates their skin.

Also be mindful of the dyes in the food. My oldest daughter is very sensitive to the Red 40 dye. She would become physically ill when she ate food and drink with this dye. This dye is in everything from Kool-Aid to spaghetti sauce to Doritos. Also the food does not have to be red to contain this dye it is in several Gatorade flavors.

My oldest daughter was given Elidel when she was about 2 years old. I used it for about 6 months. Over that year her hair went from pass her shoulders to I could barely braid in some areas. I blamed the eczema and the hair products I was using. It wasn't until it was to late did I realize it was probably the Elidel. The dermatologist insisted it should have not caused any hair loss... I have since read much about Elidel causing hair loss, I am grateful that it was not permanent. Her hair is finally back to the length and texture it once was.

Ladies be careful what you use and make sure you do as much research as you can, I learned the hard way.

Curlz of Luv

View user profile http://curlsofluv.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Excema anyone?

Post by UrbanYogini on 4th November 2010, 12:00 pm

I am new here but I wanted to chime in with my experience. While eczema is often treated with lotions, creams and medicines. My daughter's eczema is 99% controlled with the elimination of dairy from her diet and 1% from keeping her skin hydrated which I use shea butter or sweet almond oil for but I can use almost anything natural and hydrating. She does not eat or drink any cow dairy products (or eat cow meat but that is not eczema related, LOL). So that means no "standard" milk, yogurt, cheese, ice cream, etc. Since we live near a wonderful Whole Foods Market she has lots of replacement options for all those items I listed above. She only has 1-2 eczema flair ups a year now and those are minor and weather related (i.e. in the dead of winter or the peak of summer) which I know I can also avoid if I pay extra attention to hydrating her skin.
UrbanYogini

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum