CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protective Style-Braids, Hmmmmm

+6
CurlsGalore
PaganWifey
lumii
novembre
CostaKink
JORIE
10 posters

Go down

Protective Style-Braids, Hmmmmm Empty Protective Style-Braids, Hmmmmm

Post by JORIE 10th March 2010, 9:20 pm

I want to do a protective style for at least 6 weeks. I want to get my hair braided but don't know which type. I have had invisible braids in the past and my hair came out from the roots even when they did not braid my hair too tight. I have had box braids too and my hair fell out with that too. I do not want to lose the hair i already grew especially the edges, but what can I do? Any suggestions on braid styles that will not rip out my hair? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Would a full head weave (thinking a curly weave) be better breakage wise? Help!!!
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Protective Style-Braids, Hmmmmm Empty Re: Protective Style-Braids, Hmmmmm

Post by CostaKink 10th March 2010, 10:32 pm

Hey! I honestly don't think its the braids. It may be how tight or the size that may be an issue. Maybe you should try getting the braids medium size or larger then your used too. Have you tried getting kinky twist?
CostaKink
CostaKink

http://www.loudmouth269@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post by novembre 15th March 2010, 12:37 pm

Also how did you care for your hair when you had the braids...did you keep it moisturized and things of that nature.. i think that has a lot to do with it also...and i agree with costalink i would get medium size or larger braids...
novembre
novembre

Back to top Go down

Post by lumii 15th March 2010, 4:39 pm

For the past 4 yrs I always had braids with extensions.. but I never really took care of my hair or anything and it always broke.
People always say that braids help but I don't really know.. I guess it's also because I always left them in for such a long time
I think you should just follow the advices mentioned before
Don't braid your hair too tight and thin and always keep it moisturized
lumii
lumii

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 15th March 2010, 7:50 pm

Make sure that the hair added isn't too big for the piece of hair you've parted off.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 16th March 2010, 4:04 pm

My avatar is my 1st protective style since going natural. I've had them just over a week and plan to keep them in for another five weeks, hopefully. I got baby twists and they are a little looser than kinky twists and thicker. I really like them. She didn't braid my edges very tightly to avoid breakage. Braids have enhanced growth for me in the past, so I'm glad I'm giving my hair a break for a minute.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by keeboo 17th March 2010, 5:28 pm

I had braids in for years. The moment I started treating my braids and my hair better daily, my hair started to grow quickly. How did you take care of the braids when it came out by the root? Also how long were the braids in?

I think croquet braids might be a way to go? Thinking about this myself.
keeboo
keeboo

http://pettybo.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by djohnson_143 24th March 2010, 4:44 pm

I have in crochet braids right now. They are great but make sure they aren't so tight. Also, I didn't like the person who did mine tried to comb out my hair with a little comb. I'm probably going to give my hair a break when I take them out.
Also, the last ones I had, it was synthetic hair and I still washed it and conditioned it. The hair didn't come out or mat up. Hope that helps!

djohnson_143

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 24th March 2010, 11:05 pm

It could also be the weight of the hair braids that caused your hair to fall out. Maybe keep the braids shoulder length. Your scalp may not be use to the instant weight of the new hair.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 25th March 2010, 7:57 am

If you wear braids please make sure to take care of your scalp and not allow them to be too tight or you pull them into a tight ponytail. Your edges can pop off SOOO easily with braids, and its important to try and clean your scalp when you have them in as well so that your pores dont clog.
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down