CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KinkySheaPT

+18
CurlyChick
Carolina Natural
ShortNSassie
anna20204
CocoT
carfi366
JasLuv
HAMPTONSFNST
Intelligentbeauty
danycurls
jad928
Lynnieluve
DvaAuNaturel
ChrsLvsBks
KinkySheaPT
BajanPrincess82
sweetface1118
*CurlyNikki*
22 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

KinkySheaPT - Page 4 Empty Re: KinkySheaPT

Post by Neems 20th August 2010, 2:44 pm

[quote="KinkySheaPT"]
Neems wrote:

Bottom line (trying to get off my soap box lol): Use good old fashioned common sense. This may sound childish but if Oprah endorses jumping off a bridge, would you go jump? No, because you could kill yourself. But guess what? If you're not careful and really educate yourself on these supplements, how they work with the body, and any drug interactions that my have, you could kill yourself too. And I can't say this enough: if it sounds too good to be true...

Thanks for this response. You are correct, I did mis-quote the WSJ. I just thought it was interesting how people are quick to jump on the supplement bandwagon. I remember when someone suggested that I take one even though they never asked if I was on any type of medication or knew if I was allergic to a particular ingredient. I also remember when Anna Nicole was endorsing a supplement when it was later found out to cause heart problems. So, I'm thankful that the FTC is paying attention to these products. Hopefully everyone else will read the labels and question. And to answer your question, of course I wouldn't jump off a bridge if Oprah said to do it. That's just crazy, lol.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 21st August 2010, 8:38 pm

[quote="Neems"]
KinkySheaPT wrote:
Neems wrote:

Bottom line (trying to get off my soap box lol): Use good old fashioned common sense. This may sound childish but if Oprah endorses jumping off a bridge, would you go jump? No, because you could kill yourself. But guess what? If you're not careful and really educate yourself on these supplements, how they work with the body, and any drug interactions that my have, you could kill yourself too. And I can't say this enough: if it sounds too good to be true...

Thanks for this response. You are correct, I did mis-quote the WSJ. I just thought it was interesting how people are quick to jump on the supplement bandwagon. I remember when someone suggested that I take one even though they never asked if I was on any type of medication or knew if I was allergic to a particular ingredient. I also remember when Anna Nicole was endorsing a supplement when it was later found out to cause heart problems. So, I'm thankful that the FTC is paying attention to these products. Hopefully everyone else will read the labels and question. And to answer your question, of course I wouldn't jump off a bridge if Oprah said to do it. That's just crazy, lol.

LOL! Crazy is just a start! You're quite welcome and very correct. People are very quick to jump on the supplement bandwagon without realizing that it can cause serious issues. I can't tell you how many of my clients have brought me supplements that someone (a non-health care professional) suggested they take and then we find out that it interacts with the effectiveness of their heart or thyroid medications. I have also had athletes fail drug tests because whatever supplement they were taking contained an ingredient that was banned or illegal, causing them to lose whatever athletic scholarship they had for college. All because they wanted some sort of quick fix and didn't take the time to educate themselves. And I have to admit the things these supplement companies do to make a quick dollar drive me crazy, but our best weapon against this is to educate ourselves. They will only fool us if we let them.
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by Leta 27th August 2010, 3:44 pm

What exercise can i do to get rid of my muffin top and my thighs?
Leta
Leta

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 6th September 2010, 4:29 am

Hey kinkyshea!

I wanted to know if it was normal for me to see more muscle gain than weight loss in the beginning of my weight loss journey? I'm trying to lose 50 pounds and it seems to me like my body is changing alot but I'm not losing weight.

I was also wondering is there any way that i could lose weight off my arms? Very Happy
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by jad928 7th September 2010, 4:35 pm

Hey kinkyshea

I dont have a weight issue but a body fat issue. I am 5'6 and finally 132 LBS!! I have always been skinny and a lot of people in my family are skinny. I finally put on a few lbs and I like the way I look. I finally have a little bit of hips Smile Well during a wellness fair at my job I found out that my BMI is 31%!!!! so my question is how do I decrease my body fat % while maintaining or increasing my weight?
jad928
jad928

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 10th September 2010, 1:24 am

Leta wrote:What exercise can i do to get rid of my muffin top and my thighs?

Hiyas Leta!

Well I do have a few ideas for you. First is to continue (or start if you already haven't) a good cardio routine. The cardio is what will help burn more calories thereby decreasing your body fat percentage. Also if you haven't incorporated a strength training program you should do so and don't forget train your core muscles. My post from last week has a few ideas on exercises you can do to strengthen your core. You can also do seated reclining trunk rotations. Basically you sit with your knees slightly bent and lean back to a comfortable angle (this fires up your abdominals while holding you steady), take a weight in your hand (can be light or no weight at all) and while holding the weight or your arms out in front of you rotate your trunk from side to side. This will target all of your abdominal muscles at once. However don't forget your back. You can strengthen your lower back by lying on your tummy with your legs straight and your arms straight out in front of you. Lift your arms and legs off the ground at the same time hold briefly and return to your starting position.

Squats are one of my favorite exercises for the thighs. Basically you stand with your feet shoulder width apart and squat making sure your knees don't go out further than your toes. I would suggest raising your arms in front of you as you squat or holding onto a steady surface to help maintain balance. To target your outer thighs I suggest side lying leg lifts. Basically you lay on your side and lift your top leg. Then bring your top leg slightly in front of you (so that your knee bends) and lift your bottom leg up towards the sky. Switch sides and repeat.

I picked these exercises because they require little or no equipment. You can do them in the gym or in to comfort of your own home. If you're a little more advanced in your routine then you can try adding weights to these exercises or resistance bands. I suggest starting with 2 sets of 10 reps and gradually increase your reps as you progress. If you have any questions please feel free to ask! I hope this helps! I apologize for the delay.

KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 10th September 2010, 1:33 am

NaturalSinceBirth wrote:Hey kinkyshea!

I wanted to know if it was normal for me to see more muscle gain than weight loss in the beginning of my weight loss journey? I'm trying to lose 50 pounds and it seems to me like my body is changing alot but I'm not losing weight.

I was also wondering is there any way that i could lose weight off my arms? Very Happy

Hiyas!!

The answer to your question is yes. This is normal throughout your weight loss journey. Muscle weighs the same as fat. So if you drop 2 lbs of fat and gain 2 lbs of muscle then you won't notice a change in the numbers on the scale. What's the difference? Muscle is more compact than fat (in other words muscle is leaner). So you may not notice a change in the numbers on the scale but you may notice a change in the way your clothes fit and the way your body looks. You're dropping inches instead of pounds and that's not a bad thing. The problem comes when the numbers on the scale don't change and you're not dropping inches or your clothes are no longer loose. Still continue to progress in your cardiovascular training to burn the calories and weight training to add more muscle tone. I hope this helps!

KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 10th September 2010, 2:05 am

jad928 wrote:Hey kinkyshea

I dont have a weight issue but a body fat issue. I am 5'6 and finally 132 LBS!! I have always been skinny and a lot of people in my family are skinny. I finally put on a few lbs and I like the way I look. I finally have a little bit of hips Smile Well during a wellness fair at my job I found out that my BMI is 31%!!!! so my question is how do I decrease my body fat % while maintaining or increasing my weight?

Hey there!

First and foremost I need to clear up a bit of confusion. A BMI (Body Mass Index) does NOT calculate body fat percentage. Body Mass Index (BMI) is a statistical measure of body weight based on a person's weight and height. Though it does not actually measure the percentage of body fat, it is used to estimate a healthy body weight based on a person's height. BMI is also not measured using percentiles. BMI is measured in kilograms per meters squared. So if you have a BMI of 31 it does not mean that your body fat percentage is 31. Its an estimate of if you're underweight, normal weight, overweight, or obese. The problem with BMI is that it doesn't take into account lean tissue versus fatty tissue. So a very lean person, say a body builder (who is not on steroids or other aids) who is obviously very fit, can be rated as overweight according to the BMI charts based on their height and weight. However, BMI is a quick and easy measure of if a person is under or overweight in a large population of people and is often used during health fairs. Now I checked your BMI using a BMI calculator (thanks to ACE Fitness) and your BMI came out as 21.35 which means that you're in a normal weight range for your height according to the BMI charts.

Now my question is, what exactly was done when you were measured? Were you measured at various points of your body (arms, tummy area, hip, thighs, etc) and your totals were then calculated? Were you holding something that looked like a oversized Xbox 360 controller with a screen and metal plates where your hands were? Did you stand on a scale with metal parts over where you feet were placed? If only your height and weight was taken and then you were given a number then your BMI was calculated and not your body fat percentage. If that was the case then the person that did the BMI calculation miscalculated. To answer your next question I need to find out how you were measured.
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by Leta 12th September 2010, 9:21 pm

Thank you so much KinkyShea!
Leta
Leta

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 13th September 2010, 4:37 pm

Leta wrote:Thank you so much KinkyShea!

My pleasure! I'm glad to help! Smile
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

KinkySheaPT - Page 4 Empty Back Fat

Post by ThatGirl! 18th November 2010, 4:05 pm

Back fat seems to be something I rarely ever hear anyone talk about. But surely I am not the only sister with this problem.......am I? I know that it is not possible to spot reduce but are there some exercises that I can do to help reduce my back fat or make it look better? And this is not bulges from my bra this is true back fat. Right now I am eating better, exercising and losing some weight. I actually am okay with my weight at this time but continue to try and lose weight because of that darn discussing back fat. If I wasn't afraid of surgery I would get it removed! Any suggestions????.

ThatGirl!

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 21st November 2010, 10:34 pm

ThatGirl! wrote:Back fat seems to be something I rarely ever hear anyone talk about. But surely I am not the only sister with this problem.......am I? I know that it is not possible to spot reduce but are there some exercises that I can do to help reduce my back fat or make it look better? And this is not bulges from my bra this is true back fat. Right now I am eating better, exercising and losing some weight. I actually am okay with my weight at this time but continue to try and lose weight because of that darn discussing back fat. If I wasn't afraid of surgery I would get it removed! Any suggestions????.

Hi ThatGirl!

First, let me say that you are NOT the only woman dealing with the issue of "back fat". There are many women out there that have the same issue (and are probably glad you posted about this). You are right that it isn't possible to spot reduce, unless surgery is involved. People seem to think that you can spot reduce because they see one part of their body losing inches quicker than other parts but in actuality weight is being lost from all over. It does sound like you are on the right track to solving the problem. Eating a low-fat diet and following an exercise program that involves aerobic activity and strength training is the key to changing your body. Don't forget to include exercises for your chest, upper back, abdominals, and lower back in your strength training to help tone the muscles of the torso (and to help your body burn more calories). If you stick with a healthful diet and consistent physical activity you will see the back fat begin to go away. It may or may not go as fast as you would like but it will happen. Surgery is quite extreme and I wouldn't go though it unless it was strongly suggested by my physician (which is usually recommended for morbidly obese patients). Plus, having surgery is just an expensive temporary solution unless you are consistent with a healthful diet and exercise program to keep the problem from coming back. Often people that have chosen surgery have to undergo a subsequent surgery (or surgeries) to have the excess skin removed, and so on. Also removing a large amount of fat in such a short amount of time could cause a bit of shock to the body. My best advice would be to stick with the healthy eating and exercise habits. I know it can be frustrating when you really want to do something and your body has other ideas. However, as long as you are consistent, you will not only see results, but lasting results and a more healthful you. I hope this helps. Hang in there and you will amaze yourself! Smile
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by ThatGirl! 22nd November 2010, 2:07 pm

Thanks so much for taking time out to respone to my question. I am too chicken to every seriously consider surgery. I will keep on keeping on.

ThatGirl!

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 25th November 2010, 12:27 am

ThatGirl! wrote:Thanks so much for taking time out to respone to my question. I am too chicken to every seriously consider surgery. I will keep on keeping on.

You're very welcome! :-)
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 25th November 2010, 1:13 am

Hey KinkySheaPT!!!

So since I last "talked" to you, I have really upped my running. I've completed Couch to 5k and I am currently doing Bridge to 10K. I ran my first 5k back in Oct (didnt run the whole thing...long story short, I was over dressed and had to many items in my hands No ).

I am now addicted to running. That's all I like doing. Just this week, I decided to see how long I could run without stopping and after I ran for an hour, I decided to stop. I ended up running 5 miles. I was shocked and so PROUD of myself. I have pretty much abandoned my weight training and low impact cardio. Even when I decide to do low impact cardio, I always find a way to run too. BTW, this running is being done on a treadmill.

I said all of that to ask you this. I need to find a good balance. Could you suggest a good workout schedule or a site I could check out? I usually work out 3-4 days a week.

Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 4th December 2010, 11:31 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:Hey KinkySheaPT!!!

So since I last "talked" to you, I have really upped my running. I've completed Couch to 5k and I am currently doing Bridge to 10K. I ran my first 5k back in Oct (didnt run the whole thing...long story short, I was over dressed and had to many items in my hands No ).

I am now addicted to running. That's all I like doing. Just this week, I decided to see how long I could run without stopping and after I ran for an hour, I decided to stop. I ended up running 5 miles. I was shocked and so PROUD of myself. I have pretty much abandoned my weight training and low impact cardio. Even when I decide to do low impact cardio, I always find a way to run too. BTW, this running is being done on a treadmill.

I said all of that to ask you this. I need to find a good balance. Could you suggest a good workout schedule or a site I could check out? I usually work out 3-4 days a week.

Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Hey!!!

I apologize for the delayed response! I'm glad to hear you've discovered a love of running and great job on completing the Couch to 5K program. There are a few things I would suggest to add balance to your routine. I would still recommend that you still include strength training in your program. I can't stress enough about the importance of strength training in building and maintaining healthy lean tissue, preventing muscle imbalances, and so much more. Also cross-training is also important. Incorporating strength and flexibility training helps to reduce risk of injury and alternating between high and low impact workouts help as well. If you're running 3-4 days a week you should take at last one day out of the routine for a lower impact workout. If you like running so much then using an elliptical (it pretty much mimics the motions of running but at a lower impact). Again this reduces the chance of fatigue and injury. Strength training should be done at least twice a week for the entire body (maybe on a day or two you do a lower impact workout or not running as many miles). Flexibility/stretching should be done at every workout (usually after).

So in a nutshell what I would do is take at least a day for a lower impact aerobic workout for 20-30 minutes along with 20-30 minutes of strength training followed by stretching. On running days I would trying to squeeze in another strength training day (maybe on a day when you're not running as long).

As far as a website goes, a lot of runners tend to like NikeRunning for training for races. They seem to have pretty good info there but remember to always maintain balance. I hope this helps and I'm sorry for the delay in replying.
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 7th December 2010, 10:17 pm

Thanks KinkySheaPT!!! You're the best!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 24th December 2010, 2:31 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:Thanks KinkySheaPT!!! You're the best!!

You're very welcome! :-)
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

KinkySheaPT - Page 4 Empty Strength Training with Resistance Tubes/Bands

Post by KinkySheaPT 24th December 2010, 9:17 pm

Happy Holidays Everyone! santa

I just wanted to do a quick repost from the Fit Tip Strength Training With Resistance Tubes/Bands. I included some visual aids for those who may need them. The resistance band that was used was purchased from Target for about $9. I hope this helps!

Strenght Training with Resistance Tubes/Bands
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Seated row (for lats):Sit on the floor and grasp the handle or end of resistance tube or band. Wrap the tubing or band around a bedpost or some type of sturdy anchor close to the ground and grab the other end of the tube or band. Lean back so there is tension in the tube or band when your arms are extended forward. Extend your legs in front of you with the knees slightly bent. Pull the ends of the tube or band so that your elbows form right angles while you squeeze your shoulder blades together. Be sure to keep your spine in neutral and slowly let your arms extend back into the starting position.

Bench press (for pecs):Secure the center of the tube or band at chest level and face away from the anchor, grabbing the ends of the tube or band. Begin with your thumbs at your armpits and step far enough away from the anchor so the tube is not gapping at its starting position. Fully extend the arms in front of your body and slowly release returning to starting position.

Military Press (for deltoids):Stand on the center of the tube or band with your feet about shoulder width apart. With your palms facing upward and your hands by your shoulders, extend your arms straight up keeping your back straight (without arching) and your abdominal muscles tight. Slowly return to starting position.

Triceps extension:
Step of the tube or band and pull one handle up behind your head. Bring your elbow close to your ear and with your arm bent behind you, extend your arm straight up until your arm is straight and lower back to starting position. Remember to switch arms. If you’re using a lighter resistance tube you can stand in the center of the tube or band (feet shoulder width apart) and work both arms simultaneously.

Biceps curls:Step on one end of the tube or band grab the ends with the same hand. Be sure there is some tension on the tube or band when your arm is extended down by your side. With the palm facing forward, bend the elbow bringing your hand up to your shoulder. Keep your wrist straight and bend only at the elbow. Slowly release to start position. If you’re using a lighter resistance tube you can stand in the center of the tube or band (feet shoulder width apart) and work both arms simultaneously.

Squats (for quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes):Standing on the tubing so your feet are shoulder width apart, grab the ends of the tube or band with both hands. Hold the handles up by your shoulders and bend as if you are going to sit in a chair. Slowly return to standing and repeat. Make sure that you keep your back flat and contract your abdominal muscles.

Kneeling crunches (abdominals):Anchor the tubing or band above your head and let the handles drop down (a door can be used for this). Kneel on the floor so that the anchor is behind you. Hold the ends of the tube or band with your hands up by your ears (elbows in). Bending from the waist, curl down bringing your head towards your knees and keeping the ends of the tube or band by your head. Slowly return to start position and repeat.
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 24th December 2010, 9:31 pm

Thanks KinkySheaPT!!!! I need to go and get me a band. I usually run out of time at the gym (I try to get home before my son wake up in the morning) so sometimes I dont get to do my strength training. This would be a great alternative at home!!! Thanks for the visual too.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 1st January 2011, 5:52 pm

No prob! I just hope this helps everyone! :-)
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum