CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KinkySheaPT

+18
CurlyChick
Carolina Natural
ShortNSassie
anna20204
CocoT
carfi366
JasLuv
HAMPTONSFNST
Intelligentbeauty
danycurls
jad928
Lynnieluve
DvaAuNaturel
ChrsLvsBks
KinkySheaPT
BajanPrincess82
sweetface1118
*CurlyNikki*
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

KinkySheaPT - Page 3 Empty Re: KinkySheaPT

Post by DvaAuNaturel 4th July 2010, 12:45 pm

Hey KinkyShea,

What do you recommend for curbing sugar cravings or for all things sweet?
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 3rd August 2010, 10:00 am

DvaAuNaturel wrote:Hey KinkyShea,

Hi DvaAuNaturel!

I'm so sorry for the delayed reply! I've been out of commission for a bit as the military has up-rooted the hubs and I. But we're all settled now. Now to answer your question:

Well first let me say that craving things that are sweet is a natural human reaction. Some health care professionals and behavioral therapists believe that humans prefer sweet tasting things from the moment of birth. Sugar is a carbohydrate and carbohydrates stimulates the release of Serotonin which is the "feel good" chemical in the brain. So barring any other medical conditions this could be the reason why some of us crave sugar. That and the fact that, well it just tastes good! lol. There is nothing wrong with sugar, the problem comes when we eat too much of it. So back to your original question. Here are some things some experts suggest:

1. Give in a little: Ok, there are many ways to do this. You can eat a fun sized candy bar or my personal favorite (if you're worried about fat and calories) are the Weight Watchers boxes of cookies, muffins, desserts or candies. This way you can still indulge yourself by having one without the guilt. Enjoying the things you love (in moderation) can help curb the cravings or over eating.

2. Give gum a try: I know a few Registered Dietitians that have recommended this and research studies have proven that chewing gum can reduce food cravings.

3. Fruit: There are tons of sweet tasting fruits that can certainly help curb your sugar craving. Fresh or dried fruits are great way to satisfy your sweet tooth and also add important nutrients to your diet. Plus they're guilt free! Try keeping fresh or dried fruits handy. I personally always keep a snack size box of raisins or craisins handy.

4. Change of scenery: Sometimes if we get up and take a walk or doing something change the scenery around us it helps to take our mind off of food.

5. Think quality over quantity and moderation: Denying yourself your favorite foods will only lead to over indulgence later. So how do we get around this? Try looking for better quality foods. Instead of reaching for a King Sized Snicker's bar, try reaching for a dark chocolate truffle. Dark chocolate is full of antioxidants and in moderation can be good for you.

6. Eat regularly: I think this is pretty important. When you wait too long between meals people tend to reach for something that cuts your hunger quickly (and lots of it). Sugary and fatty foods fit the bill! Try eating every three to five hours. This keeps your meals smaller and it helps to keep your blood sugar levels stable as well as reducing the tendency to over eat. Look for protein, fiber rich whole wheat and produce for your snacks.

Those are just a few tricks to help curb your sugar cravings if there are no underlying health issues. Some people will go totally cold turkey and cut out their sweets, but it works for some people and others just make the cravings worse. If you've tried some of these tricks and you're still craving sugar like a fish craves water then you might want to speak with your healthcare provider to make sure there aren't any underlying issues. I hope this helps. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Peace and Love,

KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

KinkySheaPT - Page 3 Empty Turn Up My Burn Factor

Post by carfi366 3rd August 2010, 10:16 am

Hey KinkyShea-
I do cardio three to four times a week and initally I was starting to lose my post-Army retirement 20+ pounds I had packed on. Now I seem to be stuck. I'm not gaining but I'm not losing either. My knees are shot so running and jumping activities are out. I walk, take Zumba and an occasional hot yoga class. I also, not consistently, do crunches, squats and knee push-ups. What do you recommend to turn-up my caloric burn?

Thanks and create a great day!
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by ShortNSassie 3rd August 2010, 1:53 pm

Hi KinkyShea,
I am so glad I ran across this. I have been having some problems with my kneees lately, the doctors say that it's a touch of arthritis in both but I'm not claiming that. lol. They suggest that I lose some weight to take the pressure off of my knees about 20lbs. I weigh 170 and 150 is def an ideal weight for me and I do feel better when Im at that weight but it has been really difficult for me to find a routine that will take the weight off because my knees swell so bad. I go to PT 2 times a week and they don't want me to do water aerobics or any squatting or even long periods of walking, yet they have not offered me any alternatives. *sigh* Should I just push my way through the pain and take advantage of the gym in my complex? Do you have any suggestions?

Second part of my question is diet, I have recently become a vegetartian. I will eat shrimp, crabs and fish maybe 2x a month if that. I drink a detox tea every morning and camamile tea at night. I occassionally eat fruit, however I eat alot of beans and veggies and nuts. I am lactose intolorant so I use Almond milk, but I feel like I am missing something; could it be a vitamin supplement. Could you suggest a good one or should I just get a basic multivitamin or is a prenatal one the best? (not preggers was just wondering)

Thank you soo much.
ShortNSassie
ShortNSassie

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 4th August 2010, 11:19 am

Hi KinkySheaPT, please forgive me for this post in advance, but I have trouble going to the bathroom on a regular basis. It is possible for me not to have a BM for 7 days. Which makes me nauseous and of course bloated. Is there anything natural I can take on a daily basis that will not give me explosive bowels but will help me go to the bathroom daily. I do drink water everyday, but I guess that's not enough.

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 4th August 2010, 12:42 pm

carfi366 wrote:Hey KinkyShea-
I do cardio three to four times a week and initally I was starting to lose my post-Army retirement 20+ pounds I had packed on. Now I seem to be stuck. I'm not gaining but I'm not losing either. My knees are shot so running and jumping activities are out. I walk, take Zumba and an occasional hot yoga class. I also, not consistently, do crunches, squats and knee push-ups. What do you recommend to turn-up my caloric burn?

Hi Carfi366!

Well my dear, it sounds like you've hit a classic plateau!! But don't worry, it happens all the time. A couple things come to mind. I noticed that you said that you do cardio three to four times a week (which is great!!) but you also do the occasional resistance/weight training (in the form of crunches, squats and knee push-ups) and flexibility (the yoga). I would keep the cardio up but I would also be more consistent with the resistance/weight training. If you're worried about your knees (and you should be careful with the squats) you can check into a Pilates class. Other options are resistance bands, free weights, and weight machines. You should train each muscle group twice a week with about 48 hours of rest between training sessions. So if you worked on your upper body one day, take the next day off, and the following day target your lower body or however your schedule allows you to work with. The point of the weight training is to not only tone and keep your muscles strong and healthy, but also add more muscle which helps to burn more calories (and help to make one look stunning in a halter or sleevless dress [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ).

Also I did an article on CN.com a few months back about hitting plateaus. I think some of the things I talked about in that article might help you out. If you have more questions you know where to find me!

Here's the link: http://www.curlynikki.com/2010/05/kinkysheas-health-and-fitness-tip-of_20.html#comments. You'll find the information I'm referring to in the second half of the post. Let me know how it goes!

Peace and Love,

KinkyShea
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 4th August 2010, 1:10 pm

ShortNSassie wrote:Hi KinkyShea,
I am so glad I ran across this. I have been having some problems with my kneees lately, the doctors say that it's a touch of arthritis in both but I'm not claiming that. lol. They suggest that I lose some weight to take the pressure off of my knees about 20lbs. I weigh 170 and 150 is def an ideal weight for me and I do feel better when Im at that weight but it has been really difficult for me to find a routine that will take the weight off because my knees swell so bad. I go to PT 2 times a week and they don't want me to do water aerobics or any squatting or even long periods of walking, yet they have not offered me any alternatives. *sigh* Should I just push my way through the pain and take advantage of the gym in my complex? Do you have any suggestions?

Second part of my question is diet, I have recently become a vegetartian. I will eat shrimp, crabs and fish maybe 2x a month if that. I drink a detox tea every morning and camamile tea at night. I occassionally eat fruit, however I eat alot of beans and veggies and nuts. I am lactose intolorant so I use Almond milk, but I feel like I am missing something; could it be a vitamin supplement. Could you suggest a good one or should I just get a basic multivitamin or is a prenatal one the best? (not preggers was just wondering)

Thank you soo much.

Hey there!

Well, I have to say I'm a little confused by your PT (not doubting their skills but confused about their reasoning.) Usually, if someone has a problem with their knees or other joints in the lower body, or should avoid high impact weight bearing activities, water aerobics is usually ok. Water aerobics is a low impact non-weight bearing activity so I'm a bit of confused as to why they said no. If I were you I would ask them to explain. There may be something there that I don't know about (they know your medical history better than I do). I would also ask them about stationary cycling. Again a non-weight bearing activity that should be easy on your joints. Something that I absolutely would not do is push through the pain. Pain is our body's way getting our attention and telling us that something is wrong. If we ignore this pain and "push though it" we eventually end up doing more damage than good and now you we are worse off than when we started, with a longer recovery period. So work with your PT's and don't be afraid to ask questions and keep asking until you get an answer that makes sense. So ask about the water aerobics (the why not's) and ask about a stationary bike. Before I suggest anything else I would like to know what your PT's though were behind the avoidance of water aerobics. Please let me know what he/she comes up with and it might give me a better idea of what direction to go in.

Second part of your question. Ok, as a vegetarian a balanced diet is just ans important to ensure your body is getting the proper nutrients. MyPyramid.gov (my favorite site I like to send my clients to) has great advice and tips for vegetarians. Not only do they have a food pyramid for vegetarians, they also give great tips on which foods will help you to reach your body's nutrient requirements. I know it's hard to get in all the nutrients one need in a day and multivitamins can be helpful, but do try to get as much nutrients as possible from your diet. There isn't any one particular vitamin that I would suggest, or any for that matter, because I am not a physician or a registered dietitian. But what I can suggest is checking out the mypyramid.gov. There's a wealth of information there and that site is put together by physicians, RD's and the USDA. Check it out and see if this helps!

http://www.mypyramid.gov/tips_resources/vegetarian_diets.html

I hope this helps! Take care and let me know how it goes! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Peace and love,

KinkyShea
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 4th August 2010, 1:24 pm

Carolina Natural wrote:Hi KinkySheaPT, please forgive me for this post in advance, but I have trouble going to the bathroom on a regular basis. It is possible for me not to have a BM for 7 days. Which makes me nauseous and of course bloated. Is there anything natural I can take on a daily basis that will not give me explosive bowels but will help me go to the bathroom daily. I do drink water everyday, but I guess that's not enough.

Hi Carolina Natural!

No need to apologize, my dear! We're all fam! My first question is have you spoken to your physician about this? If not, that would be my first stop. In the meantime, until you can get to your doctor, fiber can help. Fiber is important for your digestive health as it helps to keep your digestive system clean and functioning. There are plenty of fiber fortified yogurts, but you can also find fiber in whole grain products (breads, crackers, cereals, oatmeal). You can also find fiber in fruits, veggies, and nuts as well. So look for foods that are high in fiber to ensure you're getting enough fiber in your diet to help ease your digestive system until you can get to your physician. Once you get to your physician he or she can make sure there are no further underlying medical problems and lead you on to the best path of treatment for you. Oh and as an FYI, here are the current recommendations for fiber just in case you or any other readers were wondering:

· Ages 9–13: 31 grams for boys and 26 grams for girls

· Boys and men ages 14–50: 38 grams

· Girls ages 14–18: 26 grams

· Women ages 19–50: 25 grams
· Ages 50 and older: 30 grams for men and 21 grams for women

Hopefully this will help until you can get to your physician, but I would certainly have this evaluated by a healthcare provider. Best of luck to you!

Peace and Love,

KinkyShea
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 4th August 2010, 2:02 pm

Thank you so much KinkyShea!!!!

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by ShortNSassie 4th August 2010, 5:51 pm

@KinkyShea, Thank you I will check out the website and report back to you after I speak with my PT.
ShortNSassie
ShortNSassie

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 4th August 2010, 9:31 pm

KinkySheaPT wrote:

Hi DvaAuNaturel!

I'm so sorry for the delayed reply! I've been out of commission for a bit as the military has up-rooted the hubs and I. But we're all settled now. Now to answer your question:

Well first let me say that craving things that are sweet is a natural human reaction. Some health care professionals and behavioral therapists believe that humans prefer sweet tasting things from the moment of birth. Sugar is a carbohydrate and carbohydrates stimulates the release of Serotonin which is the "feel good" chemical in the brain. So barring any other medical conditions this could be the reason why some of us crave sugar. That and the fact that, well it just tastes good! lol. There is nothing wrong with sugar, the problem comes when we eat too much of it. So back to your original question. Here are some things some experts suggest:

1. Give in a little: Ok, there are many ways to do this. You can eat a fun sized candy bar or my personal favorite (if you're worried about fat and calories) are the Weight Watchers boxes of cookies, muffins, desserts or candies. This way you can still indulge yourself by having one without the guilt. Enjoying the things you love (in moderation) can help curb the cravings or over eating.

2. Give gum a try: I know a few Registered Dietitians that have recommended this and research studies have proven that chewing gum can reduce food cravings.

3. Fruit: There are tons of sweet tasting fruits that can certainly help curb your sugar craving. Fresh or dried fruits are great way to satisfy your sweet tooth and also add important nutrients to your diet. Plus they're guilt free! Try keeping fresh or dried fruits handy. I personally always keep a snack size box of raisins or craisins handy.

4. Change of scenery: Sometimes if we get up and take a walk or doing something change the scenery around us it helps to take our mind off of food.

5. Think quality over quantity and moderation: Denying yourself your favorite foods will only lead to over indulgence later. So how do we get around this? Try looking for better quality foods. Instead of reaching for a King Sized Snicker's bar, try reaching for a dark chocolate truffle. Dark chocolate is full of antioxidants and in moderation can be good for you.

6. Eat regularly: I think this is pretty important. When you wait too long between meals people tend to reach for something that cuts your hunger quickly (and lots of it). Sugary and fatty foods fit the bill! Try eating every three to five hours. This keeps your meals smaller and it helps to keep your blood sugar levels stable as well as reducing the tendency to over eat. Look for protein, fiber rich whole wheat and produce for your snacks.

Those are just a few tricks to help curb your sugar cravings if there are no underlying health issues. Some people will go totally cold turkey and cut out their sweets, but it works for some people and others just make the cravings worse. If you've tried some of these tricks and you're still craving sugar like a fish craves water then you might want to speak with your healthcare provider to make sure there aren't any underlying issues. I hope this helps. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Peace and Love,

KinkySheaPT

Hey KinkyShea,

Thanks for your response. No problem about the delay. Glad you are all settled in. I noticed in your avi that your location changed from New Hampshire to South Carolina, so I'm sure you've been busy getting settled.

I think one of the biggest problems may be that I don't eat frequently enough. I need to do that and then also try the fruit to help.

Again, thanks.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 9th August 2010, 3:18 pm

DvaAuNaturel wrote:
KinkySheaPT wrote:

Hi DvaAuNaturel!

Peace and Love,

KinkySheaPT

Hey KinkyShea,

Thanks for your response. No problem about the delay. Glad you are all settled in. I noticed in your avi that your location changed from New Hampshire to South Carolina, so I'm sure you've been busy getting settled.

I think one of the biggest problems may be that I don't eat frequently enough. I need to do that and then also try the fruit to help.

Again, thanks.

You're very welcome! :-)
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by ShortNSassie 9th August 2010, 3:59 pm

Hi Kinkyshea
I spoke with my PT again and they are saying that water aerobics may actually be a good thing for me know, they didn't want me to do it before because they did not want any additional swelling on the joints. Thanks for the website it is really helpful.
ShortNSassie
ShortNSassie

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 10th August 2010, 10:29 am

ShortNSassie wrote:Hi Kinkyshea
I spoke with my PT again and they are saying that water aerobics may actually be a good thing for me know, they didn't want me to do it before because they did not want any additional swelling on the joints. Thanks for the website it is really helpful.

Hey there!

I'm glad you spoke with your PT and got some more clarification. The swelling issue sort of makes sense, but I knew there had to be a good reason. I'm glad the website was helpful for you and I hope you find a water aerobics class that you enjoy. Good luck to you! And should you have any more questions, you know where to find me! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

KSPT
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 10th August 2010, 4:43 pm

KinkySheaPT wrote:

Hi Carfi366!

Well my dear, it sounds like you've hit a classic plateau!! But don't worry, it happens all the time. A couple things come to mind. I noticed that you said that you do cardio three to four times a week (which is great!!) but you also do the occasional resistance/weight training (in the form of crunches, squats and knee push-ups) and flexibility (the yoga). I would keep the cardio up but I would also be more consistent with the resistance/weight training. If you're worried about your knees (and you should be careful with the squats) you can check into a Pilates class. Other options are resistance bands, free weights, and weight machines. You should train each muscle group twice a week with about 48 hours of rest between training sessions. So if you worked on your upper body one day, take the next day off, and the following day target your lower body or however your schedule allows you to work with. The point of the weight training is to not only tone and keep your muscles strong and healthy, but also add more muscle which helps to burn more calories (and help to make one look stunning in a halter or sleevless dress [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ).

Also I did an article on CN.com a few months back about hitting plateaus. I think some of the things I talked about in that article might help you out. If you have more questions you know where to find me!

Here's the link: http://www.curlynikki.com/2010/05/kinkysheas-health-and-fitness-tip-of_20.html#comments. You'll find the information I'm referring to in the second half of the post. Let me know how it goes!

Peace and Love,

KinkyShea
I can definitely attest to incorporating weight training into a fitness routine and eating smaller meals often. I can see the definition in my arms, shoulders, back and calves. This is only after about five months. I can only imagine what I will see in the next year or two in my journey to wear a bikini for my 40th birthday [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] !
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 11th August 2010, 2:35 pm

KinkySheaPT wrote:

Hi Carfi366!

Peace and Love,

KinkyShea

Thanks girl, I'll start incorporating more resistance training.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 12th August 2010, 12:27 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:
KinkySheaPT wrote:

Hi Carfi366!

Peace and Love,

KinkyShea
I can definitely attest to incorporating weight training into a fitness routine and eating smaller meals often. I can see the definition in my arms, shoulders, back and calves. This is only after about five months. I can only imagine what I will see in the next year or two in my journey to wear a bikini for my 40th birthday [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] !

Hiyas!
It sounds like things are going well for you. I'm so glad to hear so! But do me one small favor, when you do rock that bikini, try not to make too many of us gals jealous! lol. BTW, love the avitar!
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 12th August 2010, 12:29 pm

carfi366 wrote:
KinkySheaPT wrote:

Hi Carfi366!

Peace and Love,

KinkyShea

Thanks girl, I'll start incorporating more resistance training.

No problem! Please let me know if I can be of further assistance! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 13th August 2010, 12:34 pm

LOL @ jealous comment.

Hi,
I want to again let you know how much I appreciate your advice. I have two topics I would like you to cover. The first is mineral loss when drinking water and exercising. During a recent meet up a naturopath (sp?) spoke about how we lose minerals when we drink water and exercise. I would like to understand it better. I kind of get it but more information would be useful. What minerals are we subject to losing and how can we reintroduce them into our system?

Second, which vegetables and/or fruits are best when juicing?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 13th August 2010, 11:41 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:LOL @ jealous comment.

Hi,
I want to again let you know how much I appreciate your advice. I have two topics I would like you to cover. The first is mineral loss when drinking water and exercising. During a recent meet up a naturopath (sp?) spoke about how we lose minerals when we drink water and exercise. I would like to understand it better. I kind of get it but more information would be useful. What minerals are we subject to losing and how can we reintroduce them into our system?

Second, which vegetables and/or fruits are best when juicing?

Hey there!

I must say that I am certainly glad to be of service to the community. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I'll be sure to cover your topics. Thanks for the input!
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

KinkySheaPT - Page 3 Empty Natural Cosmetics

Post by CurlyChick 15th August 2010, 2:02 am

Hello KinkySheaPT,

Along with natural hair I do all organic foods,and no processed foods at all. I made this lifestyle change a few years ago but have yet to go natural with cosmetics. Do you have any reccomendations, especially regarding foundations and lipstick?

Thanks for your help! Smile

Last edited by CurlyChick on 15th August 2010, 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammer)
CurlyChick
CurlyChick

http://www.chichichick.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 16th August 2010, 2:57 pm

CurlyChick wrote:Hello KinkySheaPT,

Along with natural hair I do all organic foods,and no processed foods at all. I made this lifestyle change a few years ago but have yet to go natural with cosmetics. Do you have any reccomendations, especially regarding foundations and lipstick?

Thanks for your help! Smile

Hi Curly Chick!

Let me first start off by saying I am not a dermatologist so I can't really say what is best for your skin or skin in general. Second, other than mascara and lip gloss I think I wear make up maybe two to three times a year which is only for military balls or other formal or semi-formal military functions. So with that being said, I am also not a make up guru. But on the rare occasions that I do wear make up I have to have natural and organic make up because of my sensitive skin. The brands that brands that I wear are Bare Escentuals and Origins because they don't cause any nasty rashes. Other than those two brands I really don't know much about natural make up (or makeup brands in general) to make a recommendation or to compare these to other brands to help you make an informed decision. I just don't buy make up often enough to really know. I know there are some makeup gurus floating around in the community that are more knowledgeable and can really provide an insightful answer for you. Unfortunately, I am not one and I do apologize for not being able to confidently answer your question.
KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

KinkySheaPT - Page 3 Empty Natural make-up

Post by CurlyChick 16th August 2010, 4:31 pm

KinkyShea,

Thanks for your help. I will at least look into these two brands. Its hard to know reading about them who has good colors for African American women. lol, You know what I mean. I would have never guessed Origins, I usually walk right pass them! Smile Thanks!
CurlyChick
CurlyChick

http://www.chichichick.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 17th August 2010, 10:23 am

Kinky Shea,

This morning I was reading the WSJ and came across this article about the Federal Trade Commission halting a company that claims its acai supplements could help people lose 10 to 25 pounds in one month. I know loosing that much in one month can be dangerous, but I'm especially glad that the FTC is charging them. Sadly the products were endorsed my Oprah and Rachel Ray.

So what do you think about the nutritional supplements being endoresed by celebrities for weight loss?
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkySheaPT 17th August 2010, 4:36 pm

Neems wrote:Kinky Shea,

This morning I was reading the WSJ and came across this article about the Federal Trade Commission halting a company that claims its acai supplements could help people lose 10 to 25 pounds in one month. I know loosing that much in one month can be dangerous, but I'm especially glad that the FTC is charging them. Sadly the products were endorsed my Oprah and Rachel Ray.

So what do you think about the nutritional supplements being endoresed by celebrities for weight loss?

Hi Neems!

Thanks for posting this article. I think it's great that the FTC is cracking down on this company. I only wish the FDA would be more involved in cracking down on supplements and the claims the companies are making. I did notice in the article that the author stated that neither Rachael Ray or Oprah endorsed specific acai products, but there are celebrities that would endorse acai itself and a host of other supplements. Don't get me wrong, I think a multivitamin and certain supplements can be helpful under supervision of a health care provider.

So here are my thoughts. I think there is a shared responsibility here. I think that if a celebrity is going to endorse something they should really do some research and educate themselves on what they are endorsing. They need to be aware of the dangers of supplements and the fact that people are listening to what they are saying. Now we also have to be realistic here. We can't put all the blame on celebrities. We as consumers and fans of these celebrities have to not jump on the band wagon of every endorsement a celebrity makes. We cannot allow ourselves to be sheep and rush out and by some supplement and start pumping them into our bodies without doing any UNBIASED research or consulting our physician just because a celebrity says they endorse it. Ultimately, its our bodies and we have to be responsible and use good old fashioned common sense. Remember these people aren't famous for making medical breakthroughs.

Also keep in mind celebrities are often paid (and quite a bit) for endorsing products. If a company throws enough money at them then they will say whatever that company wants, it doesn't matter if the claims by the supplement company have been found to be true or not. The FDA doesn't regulate supplements, so keep in mind very few if any of these supplements have been evaluated by the FDA.

Bottom line (trying to get off my soap box lol): Use good old fashioned common sense. This may sound childish but if Oprah endorses jumping off a bridge, would you go jump? No, because you could kill yourself. But guess what? If you're not careful and really educate yourself on these supplements, how they work with the body, and any drug interactions that my have, you could kill yourself too. And I can't say this enough: if it sounds too good to be true...

KinkySheaPT
KinkySheaPT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum