CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are frizzy ends ALWAYS damaged ends?

+12
Natural Lo
Lynnieluve
naturallyKey
shazzy
missnola51
goodapple
CombatCurls
PaganWifey
Mak
DreamMerchant
npsoul
ShugAvery
16 posters

Go down

Are frizzy ends ALWAYS damaged ends? Empty Are frizzy ends ALWAYS damaged ends?

Post by ShugAvery 3rd February 2010, 1:01 am

I have been confused about this since going natural! Tonight when I was braiding my hair before bed I stopped myself from reaching for the scissors until consulting the panel of experts! If my hair can't be braided all the way to the very end and looks a little frizzy should I cut it? I checked for splits on individual hairs and there are none. The ends are just uneven when braided or twisted, is this a matter of unhealthy hair or just an aesthetic issue. I want really big hair, so I'd rather not cut any of it unless not doing so will compromise my hair's health.
ShugAvery
ShugAvery

Back to top Go down

Are frizzy ends ALWAYS damaged ends? Empty Re: Are frizzy ends ALWAYS damaged ends?

Post by npsoul 3rd February 2010, 3:33 pm

Shug, I had that same problem until I had my ends trim. My stylist had to cut about 3 inches (drastic but I needed it). Now when I two strand twist, my ends roll up silky (if that makes sense). My two strand twist out looks fab now without all that frizz.
npsoul
npsoul

Back to top Go down

Are frizzy ends ALWAYS damaged ends? Empty Re: Are frizzy ends ALWAYS damaged ends?

Post by ShugAvery 3rd February 2010, 8:23 pm

Thank you, i was hoping you wouldn't say it.
ShugAvery
ShugAvery

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 6th February 2010, 1:23 am

I had the frizzy ends too and I would always reach for the scissors about once a month and cut off about a half an inch to an inch a month. I would even go to a stylist to get my hair trimmed but they would still look frizzy. I noticed that my hair grows faster in some spots than others. So I have put the scissors away becuase it is just uneve growth for me. To get those silky looking ends, I will spritz them with water and twirl the ends around my finger with some shea butter. It works great. No more chopping because they were not split ends!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mak 11th February 2010, 11:00 pm

I agree that cutting may not be necessary. I have frizzy looking hair in the crown area, but this hair is just a coarse texture that does not have a curl pattern, more of a wavy pattern. If the hair feels soft (not dry and brittle) and is not split, I wouldn't cut it.
Mak
Mak

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 13th February 2010, 2:33 am

I'm so not the one. I can never tell. I think I've lost a lot of potential growth to unnecessary trimming though.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by CombatCurls 15th February 2010, 6:32 pm

I had the same problem with the frizzy ends. I have cut off about 3 inches total of hair thinking that it was split ends, but it was still frizzy and i couldn't figure out why, where the hair was smooth before then it was frizzy. So i looked at my hair and realized it's just because certain hairs shrink more than others and certain hairs are longer so the curls don't really clump together. Not frizz just uneven growth. I was even thinking about doing a BC all over again! Just goes to show you gotta really know your hair.
CombatCurls
CombatCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by goodapple 17th February 2010, 11:57 pm

I had the same problem ladies...I BC'd a year and a month ago and I wanted to try to straighten my hair to see the length. I went to the Dominicans and was so upset b/c my roots were so straight and my ends were frizzy. The next day I put conditioner in my hair to turn back to my curls. After this I finally found a male hairstylist and he cut off an inch and half off my hair. The style is in layers yet now I can't wear my hair "in" without it looking crazy. He told my my ends were dry and that my hair needed to be shaped up. I say no more straightening, and I plan on working to keep my ends healthy to retain length.

goodapple

Back to top Go down

Post by missnola51 18th February 2010, 9:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Wow, I just had the scissors in my had getting ready to snip, snip, snip cuz of the "roughness" of my ends. I have a TWA that is about 2 - 3 inches in the back and 1 - 2 inches on the sides. I "trimmed" my hair in Oct, 09 so I thought it was time for another trim, but, reading the posts I'm not sure. I don't know what I need to do to keep my ends from being "frizzy and dry." How do you get and maintain healthy ends and retain length when you have the "frizzies"? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

missnola51

Location : Madison, AL by way of New Orleans, LA...Geaux Saints!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by goodapple 19th February 2010, 12:21 am

@ Missnola51, don't cut it. Deep condition your hair and possibly do a honey treatment to give it moisture. That will help. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

goodapple

Back to top Go down

Post by shazzy 19th February 2010, 10:33 am

I'm struggling with my ends appearing very dry. I cut about an inch off myself thinking that would solve the problem but after a rod set last night they still appear very dry. Is anything working?? I'm calling my stylist this morning for some help. I would hate to cut more hair. I really think they are just dry and I need a remedy. Maybe sealing? I think I'm sealing but please correct me if I'm wrong. My regular style is a 2 strand twist. I twist with leave and add coconut oil to the ends. Should I do something more, different?

shazzy

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyKey 22nd February 2010, 12:15 am

I suggest not using coconut oil as a sealant and more of a moisturizer. Try olive oil, shea butter, or crisco(like me! lol).
naturallyKey
naturallyKey

http://naturallykeyz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 22nd February 2010, 1:35 am

What works for me when my ends are frizz is oil rinses.....When I was my hair, right before I add my thick conditioner I apply about 3 or 4 hands fulls of olive oil to hair. I noticed a difference in my ends in about 2 weeks. Make sure you are moisturizing your ends frequently too.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by shazzy 23rd February 2010, 11:02 am

Naturally-Key

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will put down the coconut oil as a sealant and use the ollive or shea butter

Lynnieluve I will also try the oil rinse Thursday when i co-was. Also is your hair coiled in your pic?

shazzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 23rd February 2010, 11:16 am

My avatar is a 2 day old twist out using BeeMine BeeHold Curly Butter.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by shazzy 23rd February 2010, 12:43 pm

Very cute!How long is your hair. My girlfriend is transtioning and this looks like a cute style for her. She has about 3 inches of new growth.

shazzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 23rd February 2010, 3:57 pm

shazzy wrote:Very cute!How long is your hair. My girlfriend is transtioning and this looks like a cute style for her. She has about 3 inches of new growth.

I dont know. I dont measure it. If I had to guess, I would say about 4 inches or a little bit more. My avatar pic was taken in Dec 09.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural Lo 30th July 2010, 5:59 pm

I have been natural for two weeks. I did my first set of twist over a week ago, for the most part the ends of my twist curl automatically but some of my ends are straight and never curl. Is it because i still have perm left on my ends or heat damage? Have anyone experience this? Can someone help me cause all I've been doing is cutting them.
Natural Lo
Natural Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by JerseyGyrl 23rd August 2010, 10:45 pm

so did the shea butter help? My ends are frizzy as ell, but if i add coconut oil or butters, it curls up. Not sure if they are split or not.
JerseyGyrl
JerseyGyrl

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa101 23rd August 2010, 11:44 pm

The lower back of head always curls up and the ends are so soft that I always have to retwist, but the middle part the ends are frizzy. I think it's just the texture because I've trimmed it before and it always ends up the same way.
Nessa101
Nessa101

Back to top Go down

Post by popsbaby 24th August 2010, 9:10 am

Try Kimmaytube's leave in recipe. She says that frizzy ends are caused by the cuticle being lifted due to the PH being off.
popsbaby
popsbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by mssassy 25th August 2010, 11:27 pm

popsbaby wrote:Try Kimmaytube's leave in recipe. She says that frizzy ends are caused by the cuticle being lifted due to the PH being off.

I have been using her recipe, but mine just won't do right when I do twist. I BC'd in May yet some sections of my hair twist fine on the ends. Other parts don't twist well at all. Could it be the different textures of my hair or is the relaxer to blame?

http://naturalhairbymssassy.blogspot.com
mssassy
mssassy

http://naturalhairbymssassy.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down