CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anewme223

+10
KinkyNappyHappy
tiashaunteé
SheeTacular
ChrsLvsBks
Kea::curls
sweetdrk1
HumanNature
Intelligentbeauty
Lynnieluve
Curlz of Luv
14 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Anewme223 - Page 2 Empty Re: Anewme223

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th January 2010, 1:50 am

anewme223 wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:I am glad you found a way to keep your hair moisturized.

Was this your first time using henna and indigo? I have quite a few grays and have used the two step henna and indigo at least three times. I need to do it again.

Yes, this was my first time using the henna and/or indigo. I am overall pleased however there are some things I will do differently next time. I am going to research other products to mix the henna with since my scalp was very dry. The front was almost painful it was very itchy and dry. Anewme223 - Page 2 Icon_cry I put some coconut oil on my scalp last night and it seems better today. I may try to mix it with yogurt but I want to do some more reading about it. Also I think I will do the process during the day. I don't think my scalp likes to be wet like that all night. Lastly, I have to detangle and do twist when I am done that seems to help my ends the most. Still trying to perfect the moisturizing process. Anewme223 - Page 2 Icon_lol

What is your routine when you use henna/indigo?
I mix the henna with water or orange juice and water. I let it sit overnight and apply it to damp hair (pre-poo night before and rinse out oils with warm water). I let the henna sit on my head for at least three hours. I then mix my indigo with water and immediately apply it. I let that sit for at least two hours. I always rinse hair until water runs clear after each treatment. I follow by co-washing then after the indigo treatment, I DC.

I would check out the site hennaforhair.com. They have a wealth of information and a message board. I am sure you can find a solution there. I hope you figure out what happened.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 29th January 2010, 1:40 pm

I know this is your first time using henna but what about the acv and amla oil? You want to make sure that know for sure what is causing the itching so you don't make the same mistake twice.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 29th January 2010, 4:08 pm

@ChrsLvsBks thanks for the info on how you mix your henna. I will definitely check out that website.

@tiashauntee I think I may have been over zealous when I made my mix. I have used the amla oil before as a pre-poo and I have done acv rinses in the past. Neither of which irritated my scalp. However the combo may have been too much. I am going to do some research on hennaforhair.com as ChrsLvsBks suggested b4 I try henna again. When I had a relaxer I never had scalp issues or excessive dryness, I also do not have any allergy issues. So I am leaning toward the combination/preparation of henna. Once I read the info I will probably try it again however it will probably be a couple of months.

Ladies.....Thanks so much for the support. It keeps me going Anewme223 - Page 2 Icon_lol .
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

http://curlsofluv.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 29th January 2010, 8:47 pm

Ladies please help..

How do you know if you need a protein treatment?
Also how do you know what type of protein?
What is the benefit of protein? I have some Cantu Shea Butter Leave in Conditioner Repair and I have never used it because I think it a protein rich treatment and I am not sure if I need protein in my hair. have any of you ladies used this and if so how did you use it?
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 29th January 2010, 11:07 pm

Hello Anewmee223~

So sorry to read about your discomfort with the scalp irritation. I've never used henna so I really don't have any suggestions. I hope you find relief..and welcome to the challenge....I'm a little late..sorry!!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 30th January 2010, 3:01 pm

anewme223 wrote:Ladies please help..

How do you know if you need a protein treatment?
Also how do you know what type of protein?
What is the benefit of protein? I have some Cantu Shea Butter Leave in Conditioner Repair and I have never used it because I think it a protein rich treatment and I am not sure if I need protein in my hair. have any of you ladies used this and if so how did you use it?
I know I need protein when my hair is limp and no longer reacting to products the same. As far as types of protein, I am not sure. I know the names of some proteins--silk amino acids, amino acids, keratin. Protein strengthens your hair's strands. I do not think Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioner Repair is considered protein rich.

You can do the following. Take either a shed hair or hair pulled from scalp and do the following. Wet it and stretch it. Does it bounce back? If not, you may need protein. If it does, your moisture balance is likely okay. You can always try a mix of protein and moisture conditioners to wash and DC with to keep you balance in line. I would suggest trying this after knowing you are not protein sensitive. You will know if you are protein sensitive if your hair becomes dry, brittle after using protein.

Some good protein conditioners are Aubrey's Organics GPB and Giovanni's Smooth as Silk. Eggs and mayonnaise are also good protein sources.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 30th January 2010, 9:12 pm

Chrs gives the best advise, I hope your hair is well soon!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 31st January 2010, 2:13 am

@ChrsLvsBks thanks for your response. I have used Giovanni Smooth as Silk, I had no idea it was a protein conditioner. I know it is not one of my fav but it is ok. I am not sure if it made my hair hard I just remember not being impressed with it. Thanks for the information.

I did the wet strand test and my hair has lots of bounce. About a month ago I bought some Giovanni Smooth as Silk Xtreme Protein hair Infusion (that's a mouthful), I used it and thought I had a lot more shedding than normal so I left it alone. Now I am wondering if it is protein sensitivity. I have to check which proteins are in that.

Anyway I have this big jar and I need to do something with it. I am going to try doing the mix of protein and moisture as you suggested. I also think I am gonna do some additional research on the products I do have and categorize them so I know what I am using and how they work. I have a ton of products. I am a true PJ...

@sweetdrk1...yes Chrs advise is really good. All of you ladies are helping me make it through.
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 31st January 2010, 2:41 am

Ok so today was wash day for my 2 girls, they are 4 and 7. Since it is
winter and they are not taking swimming lessons. I decided to give them
and me a break for awhile and wash, DC then braid/style their hair
every other weekend for a little while. This is usually an all day
things. Well my oldest hair which is about ear length was washed, DC
and then box braids in back and cornrows in front with my shea mix. The
results were great. The little one was not in the mood today so it was
along battle with lots of looonnnggg breaks. I washed, DC and did three
strand twist for the first time on her hair. I her hair is about armpit
length when stretched. I loved the way it looked and was so impressed
with my skill. She hated it and did not want me to take pics. She loves
a head full of little box braids so she can have lots of movement.
Anyway while I was dong her hair I noticed some little bumps on her
cheek I hadn't noticed before. Well later after I was done with her
hair I looked at her arm and she had little bumps on her ears, arms,
neck, upper back also her ears were very red. Oh no! So I gave her some
benadryl, soaked her in an oatmeal bath and washed with some unscented
dove. She stopped scratching and the bumps seemed to be going away.
The odd things is her scalp looks fine. No scratching. SO naturally I
think it is something I used, which the only thing I used different was
I put some peppermint eo in my shea mix. I have used lavender and tea
tree eo's in the past with no problem.

Well she fell asleep and is sleeping soundly. So I will watch her for
further reaction to whatever it is! I may have to wash again
tomorrow..Yuck! I don't think the twist will survive a wash, which
means untwist, detangle, wash and braid... Anewme223 - Page 2 Kopfschuettel

Even if she is ok i will still probably not leave it in 2 weeks just in case.

This is what the parts look like when she won't sit still. She said she was bored!
Anewme223 - Page 2 1-30-113
Anewme223 - Page 2 1-30-114

As long as she can play on her netbooks she doesn't care what I do to her hair!
Anewme223 - Page 2 1-30-115
Anewme223 - Page 2 1-30-116

I am so excited I fonally figured out the right way to upload pics..yeah me Anewme223 - Page 2 Icon_lol
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 1st February 2010, 3:28 pm

Hair looks good on your daughters!

I have never mixed oils in shea. Perhaps try adding the EO to a carrier oil then mix it with the shea. The EO alone could have been the problem. I hope she continues to get better, poor baby.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 4th February 2010, 1:34 am

@ChrsLvsBks thanks about my girls hair. I think sometimes I put more time and effort into their hair than mine because I want them to love their curls. I wish someone had taught me to. My mom just never was into hair. Even now (she is 71), I am still telling her what to do with her hair. Funny thing I convinced her to go natural more than 10 yrs ago. She is a 3c probably, and has real soft, cottony, curly hair and relaxers always took her hair out. Our hair is so opposite I never thought I could do it successfully.

The itching with my little girl went away by the next morning. I am leaning toward the shampoo because the redness was there before I put the shea mix on her hair.

I am going to clean her scalp with a damp washcloth tomorrow, take the twist out, oil her hair and scalp and do box braids.

I am trying to wait until next weekend to wash/dc.
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 4th February 2010, 1:51 am

So today is my 3 month anniversary of my BC. I measured my hair today and it is 3 inches. I was about 2.5 when I did the BC. I think more than growth my hair has loosened up. So the curls (not really curls more like spirals, twirls, coils???). Anywho...I think the pattern is changing or showing more daily.

So what I have learned. Well the biggest lesson I learned was just this week. Water and the cold does not mix in my hair. I really have done little to my hair this week. I have been oiling my hair at night, then put a silk scarf. In the morning while showering I will run my wet hand over my hair, put some oil on and my shea mix or Bee mine curly butter and that's it. My hair has been much softer all week.

Normally I would really wet it in the shower or co-wash once or twice a week. My hair would be soft until the evening then the ends would get hard. I think the cold hair may have been impacting my hair.

The next lesson I learned is my hair prefers natural products. The more natural the better the results. Anewme223 - Page 2 Icon_bounce

So I have joined tiashauntee's castor oil challenge and I also am going to TRY Anewme223 - Page 2 Icon_evil to keep my hands out of my hair cause I have a real problem and it is not helping in the growth.

Mostly I am so proud of myself cause there have been many days I thought of texturizing I am so glad I have not.

The journey continues...thanks ladies for all of your support.
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 5th February 2010, 12:28 am

Happy three month anniversary! Salud to many more!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 5th February 2010, 12:55 am

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Happy three month anniversary! Salud to many more!

Thank you!
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 8th February 2010, 2:01 pm

Happy Monday!

Ladies I believe I am in love. Yes True Love! I have found a product that has made my hair soft, manageable, moist and all around great!

I know this is my first time using it however the difference in my hair is amazing! Anewme223 - Page 2 Icon_cheers

The product is Qhemets Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream. Well I have read many post where curlies have spoken positive about the product however I was hesitant to try it because I thought it would end up just another product. Also because I try to order few products because of cost and time. I have to get products for me and my 2 girls so I wanted to use products I could easily purchase and were not pricey....Anywho there goes that idea cause i'm thinking QB will be on my list of faves for awhile.

Now it is worth noting that I also washed with Baking soda/Burt's Bees shampoo and did an ACV rinse. I deep conditioned for 2 hours with AOHSR, olive oil, coconut oil and ORS replenishing conditioner. However all but the baking soda I used before and did not get these results. I did two strand twist with QB and then applied my castor oil/almond oil mix to my scalp. WOW!

So I am attributing this wonderfully feeling hair to the QB products however maybe the combination did help alot. I know my hair was in desperate need of moisture I just couldn't find the right combo. I only ordered the sample size however I will order a larger size this week.

I also have the Burdock Root Butter cream that I will try on my girls hair next weekend, since their hair is softer and not as dry as mine.

I keep feeling my hair and I am SHOCKED Anewme223 - Page 2 617583 at how soft it feels, after three months I was beginning to think I was just going to have to learn to live with hard hair.
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 8th February 2010, 2:15 pm

That's great that you are finding what works for your hair. It can be a challenge to find just the right products. I'm still experimenting, but I think I'm getting closer!

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 8th February 2010, 2:53 pm

@Stephanie, Thanks! It can be very discouraging because I already have a beauty supply store amount of products and I was not getting the results I desired. This has been a big step for me in right direction though. However I am still going to work on products that are local or I can make at home, I don't want to be at the mercy of the UPS man or have to grow broke keeping up all of the hair in this house!

I already have amla oil will probably buy some amla powder in the future and see what I can come up with.
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th February 2010, 3:45 pm

I want to try the Alma and Heavy cream. In your opinion, do you think it would be too heavy for the summer time?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 8th February 2010, 4:06 pm

@Lynnieluve yes I think it maybe too heavy for the summer. I see you live in the south like do (I live near Savannah, Ga).

I hadn't really though about changing my products once the weather changes but I think that the Amla & Heavy Cream would be okay at night as a moisturizer or under the air conditioner all day but outside in the humidity it would be much too heavy. I have very dry hair and it soaks up moisture/oil.

The 2 oz size is only $5.50 and I am glad I tried the samples first even though I love it. I also have the Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm, not sure about that product yet.
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th February 2010, 4:22 pm

anewme223 wrote:@Lynnieluve yes I think it maybe too heavy for the summer. I see you live in the south like do (I live near Savannah, Ga).

I hadn't really though about changing my products once the weather changes but I think that the Amla & Heavy Cream would be okay at night as a moisturizer or under the air conditioner all day but outside in the humidity it would be much too heavy. I have very dry hair and it soaks up moisture/oil.

The 2 oz size is only $5.50 and I am glad I tried the samples first even though I love it. I also have the Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm, not sure about that product yet.

Thanks. Oyin Handmade are my summertime products. I love the Whipped Pudding and Shine and Define for my two stand twist.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 8th February 2010, 10:53 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:
anewme223 wrote:@Lynnieluve yes I think it maybe too heavy for the summer. I see you live in the south like do (I live near Savannah, Ga).

Thanks. Oyin Handmade are my summertime products. I love the Whipped Pudding and Shine and Define for my two stand twist.

Good to know. Anewme223 - Page 2 Icon_wink Which products do you use?
I haven't tried any of their products yet so I will keep that in mind as the weather starts to change.
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th February 2010, 10:57 pm

I ordered the same pack from Oyin when I first BC'd so I am out of everything. I am a part of a Use Your stash challenge so I can purchase anything right now. When it gets closer to springtime, I will order the Honey Hemp Conditioner, Whipped Pudding and Shine and Define.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 8th February 2010, 11:39 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:I ordered the same pack from Oyin when I first BC'd so I am out of everything. I am a part of a Use Your stash challenge so I can purchase anything right now. When it gets closer to springtime, I will order the Honey Hemp Conditioner, Whipped Pudding and Shine and Define.

Thanks I was just on their website and I see they have a sample pack at a reasonable price so I will probably try that when that at some point.

OOOohhhh I need to join that challenge. I can't go in ANY store without checking out the hair products aisle. A new Food Lion opened this week near me and I had to see what they had. I was so proud of myself when I left empty-handed. I realized I have tons of conditioners. So instead of not buying anything I won't buy any more shampoo or conditioner. I am trying to mix different products so I can get the results I want/need. I LOVE AO HSR and I have very little left but I am not going to buy more til I use some of these other products. I will be glad when it warms up so I can do more co-washing and can use these products quicker.
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 9th February 2010, 12:02 am

Adding oils to conditioners I dont care for that much has yield good results for me. Lord knows I have enough shampoo to last me for the next 3 years. I only shampoo once a month and when I do, I only use a little bit.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlz of Luv 9th February 2010, 12:16 am

I warm EVOO in the microwave, add honey and then ORS replenishing conditioner and maybe a little AO HSR and it works great for a DC.

I haven't tried it with other conditioners yet I don't know how well it would work, I think it works well with those because they are thick and it helps to add slip.
Curlz of Luv
Curlz of Luv

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum