CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Becoming a better YOU!

+3
CocaColaCutie
ChrsLvsBks
NikG20
7 posters

Go down

Becoming a better YOU! Empty Becoming a better YOU!

Post by NikG20 4th January 2010, 6:39 pm

Makeup? Check. Hair? Check! Health & Fitness? "Huh?"

I'll quote someone from the random thoughts thread:

(Hope you don't mind jcurl!)

jamaicacurl wrote:I don't blame you Sweet! Those are like staple channels. Taking those away is like having peanut butter with no jelly, bacon with no eggs, spaghetti with no sauce!

Ok, so...she was talking about television. Neutral But still! You catch my drift. Probably not the best quote if you're trying to lose weight. LOL Laughing

Why would you have everything together BUT your health and fitness? That should be a priority, right? Yet it's at the very bottom of the list for so many people. Including myself. No

It WILL catch up with you sooner or later. That's all I'm saying.

It's 2010 and I feel like I'm ready to become a better me. I am changing my mind frame! Health and fitness is going to be at the TOP of my list now. I will make time to exercise. I will stop ALL excuses. And of course, when I get to where I want to be, I will come back and show you all some before and afters. Razz Who's with me?

For anyone who is overweight, or slightly overweight, have you ever gotten the "Your face is so pretty"? Shocked Say what?? It's a compliment, but at the same time, it's a slap in the face.

I want to walk in a room and know I'm the ish! Not just pretend. Because lets face it, I'm not. I definitely need to lose some pounds. Don't get me wrong, confidence is key, at ANY weight. But your health should be your number 1 priority.

Diabetes just so happens to run in my family. My mother has it and my aunt have it, they both have to take insulin. Diabetes has definitely gotten to them. Both physically and mentally. My grandmothers friend has a huge hole in her foot from diabetes. She will be getting it cut off soon. A nurse has to clean it up every day. She's just in her 50s.

Ok, I'm just thinking out loud. Trying to motivate myself and others. I love you

Share your thoughts on this as well. Smile
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Becoming a better YOU! Empty Re: Becoming a better YOU!

Post by ChrsLvsBks 5th January 2010, 2:51 pm

I am often self conscious of my weight. I wear my shirts outside of my pants/skirts or wear sweaters. I can suck in my stomach pretty good but the thing is I have a stomach. I exercise regularly but need to ensure I step it up every few weeks. I have done that recently (last couple of months), and I have noticed my clothes fit me better.

I love to eat and dine out. While we don't dine out as often as we used to, we still do. I plan to check out the restaurant's nutritional guides before visiting, ask for a doggy bag up front and eat only the calories I need. I will not be hard on myself if I succumb every once in a while. My weakness is desserts when dining out. I have to have one.

Since last October, I have written down what I have eaten. I use to track my calories, fat, protein and exercise online but stopped. I want to start to track them again. I used livestrong.com before and plan to use them again. I highly recommend the site. I know there are others out there.

I hate getting on the scale. I know I have to know where I have started to know where I want to end but still [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I plan to take my measurements and track them monthly. I will also weigh myself at the gym monthly so I will not have to read those numbers often.

I hope to look even younger when I lose the weight. I want to look good in a swimsuit and not hide behind my husband in pictures. I want to tuck my shirts in. I want to wear a bikini by this time next year.

Like you NikG20, diabetes runs in my family both sides. I know it is preventable because they are diagnosed later in life. I can either pay now by taking care of myself or pay later by having someone else take care of me.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 6th January 2010, 12:30 am

Sounds like we have similar goals Chrs. We should stay in touch! Smile Keep posting in this section! cheers

I'll have to check out that website.
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CocaColaCutie 7th January 2010, 4:36 pm

I want to be a better me too! I've ballooned up to my highest (known) weight.

I start and then fall off after seeing some moderate results. Last year I lost about 10-15 lbs started thinking I was cute and started eating any and everything. Ugh.

But I really want to stay on my grind and not get too comfortable with the moderate success. I want to make it all the way to goal. My 10 year high school reunion is this year. I NEED to look fierce--body, hair, and makeup on point.

Please keep me accountable y'all!
CocaColaCutie
CocaColaCutie

Back to top Go down

Post by cherece 7th January 2010, 4:58 pm

I really need to start taking care of myself. I am at the heaviest I have ever been. To be honest with myself, I have gained almost 80 pounds in the past 10 years alone [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. I also have diabetes on both sides of my family and high blood pressure. So far, I have been fortunate enough to not have either. I usually don't have any trouble losing weight. I have a problem with being consistant with it. I will lose 10 or 20 or 30 pounds and then I'll think I'm doing well, so I'll eat a cookie or piece of cake or a bowl of mac&cheese and I just gain it all back and then some. Plus, I HATE to exercise. so I always find ways to talk myself out of it whenever I can.

I eat a primarily vegetarian diet (with occasional fish so that my meat eating boyfriend doesn't starve when I make dinner) and have been off and on vegetarian/vegan for most of my life. I thought vegetarians were supposed to be slimmer than meat eaters. I eat pretty healthy for the most part but I am a carbohydrate addict and don't control my portions very well.

I want to lose weight and stay healthy and exercise more. My SO has put us both on a diet but, ya'll know men, they skip 2 meals and walk half a block and they lose 30 pound like that but if I skip 2 meals and walk 10 blocks, I gain 5 pounds on my a** [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I am going to give it my best shot though.

Like CocaColaCutie, I need y'all to keep me accountable.

cherece

Back to top Go down

Post by CocaColaCutie 7th January 2010, 5:06 pm

cherece wrote:I really need to start taking care of myself. I am at the heaviest I have ever been. To be honest with myself, I have gained almost 80 pounds in the past 10 years alone [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. I also have diabetes on both sides of my family and high blood pressure. So far, I have been fortunate enough to not have either. I usually don't have any trouble losing weight. I have a problem with being consistant with it. I will lose 10 or 20 or 30 pounds and then I'll think I'm doing well, so I'll eat a cookie or piece of cake or a bowl of mac&cheese and I just gain it all back and then some. Plus, I HATE to exercise. so I always find ways to talk myself out of it whenever I can.

I eat a primarily vegetarian diet (with occasional fish so that my meat eating boyfriend doesn't starve when I make dinner) and have been off and on vegetarian/vegan for most of my life. I thought vegetarians were supposed to be slimmer than meat eaters. I eat pretty healthy for the most part but I am a carbohydrate addict and don't control my portions very well.

I want to lose weight and stay healthy and exercise more. My SO has put us both on a diet but, ya'll know men, they skip 2 meals and walk half a block and they lose 30 pound like that but if I skip 2 meals and walk 10 blocks, I gain 5 pounds on my a** [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I am going to give it my best shot though.

Like CocaColaCutie, I need y'all to keep me accountable.

girl you ain't said nothing but the truth! we need a follow through mentality. it ain't over till it's over babe. and even then we still have to maintain.

as for the men weight loss thing, those slim quick commercials show it best.
CocaColaCutie
CocaColaCutie

Back to top Go down

Post by rreberhardt 10th January 2010, 12:30 pm

I have really began to struggle with weight in the last 6 years, Particularly since I got married 5 years ago. I have always been "thick" and have not had a problem with that, but I am well past "thick" at this point. I work out, but alot of times I seem to be just going through the motions. I have started P90X for the second time and I'm really trying to focuse and put my maximum effort into my daily workout. I just have to think, workout for these 60 minutes and then the rest of the day is my own! I have hit my highest weight and I don't want to get past this number (except for pregnancy).

I don't necessarily have health issues that run in my family related to weight, however I do see a difference in my self from my "happy weight" to my "heavy wight" and I don't like it. I don't feel as confident and happy as I would like to be, and I know that is partly due to my weight.

I eat really well for the most part. I do have a weakness for sweets, pasta, and bread. It is my snacking that gets me in trouble so many times. I really love to eat salads, veggies, fruit and other healthy foods, but like I said, I am an emotional eater. That is when I get myself into trouble. When times get difficult or I get stressed, I tend to turn towards bad food. I have to learn some other coping strageties or I will just end up sabotaging myself.

I am really looking to make a lifestyle change and I do believe that much of that will come from my focus and attitue with fitness. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about three years now, and I want to be in my healthiest shape possible when the time comes for me to have a baby. My biggest self-imposed challenge is going to be running in a mini-marathon in April. This is something I feel like I have to do for myself, just to prove to me that I am capable.

On another note....I really want to look like one of those ladies in Essence Mag for thier Ageless Beauties issue. I want to be 65 and people swear that I am 40 because I look so good! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
rreberhardt
rreberhardt

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 18th January 2010, 5:48 pm

Do you think it is okay to
have an inspiration for weight loss? I was looking on another site and
found a couple of people with a similar shape as mine just much
smaller. I wonder if it is realistic to look to them for inspiration
when they may have had work done [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rreberhardt 18th January 2010, 5:57 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Do you think it is okay to
when they may have had work done [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

I don't think there is a problem with having an inspiration, as long as you are realistic about it. I understand that big hips and butts with smaller chests run in my family, so to think that I won't have that basic frame will be doing myself an injustice. As far as the work they have had done, use it as a model and know that they had ALOT of help getting to where they are with thier body. I have a few bodies that are my personal inspiration as well, now I just have to get going on the work to get there [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
rreberhardt
rreberhardt

Back to top Go down

Post by neethair 21st January 2010, 5:55 pm

I need to became a better me. Weight is just becoming an issue for me. I am only 5'0, it use to be very easy to lose weight. But as I reached 30 it has been hard. I know one of my problems is that I'm an emotional eater. I realized this after my grandmother died. I would lay in bed, cry and eat. I gained 10-15 lbs but I was able to loss it with no problem. However, when I get stressed the first thing I do is run to food, "comfort food" WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SOOOO BAD FOR YOU [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I never thought I had a "round" face but now that I had gain so much weight my face looks round and fat. Sometimes when I look in the mirror, I think Oh My I look preggers.

I travel a lot for work so I eat out and eat late. But to be honest, I do the same thing when I'm home, I eat out almost everyday during lunch and 1-2 times a week for dinner. I also eat dinner around 8 (that's late when you are going to bed a 10-10:30).

I want to be a completely better person from a better spiritual relationship to healthly natural hair and everything in between.

So ladies, thank you and I apprecipate your support as I became a better me.
neethair
neethair

Back to top Go down

Post by FemmeFox 22nd January 2010, 3:37 pm

CocaColaCutie wrote:I want to be a better me too! I've ballooned up to my highest (known) weight.

I start and then fall off after seeing some moderate results. Last year I lost about 10-15 lbs started thinking I was cute and started eating any and everything. Ugh.

But I really want to stay on my grind and not get too comfortable with the moderate success. I want to make it all the way to goal. My 10 year high school reunion is this year. I NEED to look fierce--body, hair, and makeup on point.

Please keep me accountable y'all!

Girl I feel you! I lost 15-20 lbs a few years ago and thought I was too cute for school. I stopped working out and was able to keep my weight and shape steady for awhile. Now I've gained it all back plus more! I just turned 30 in November and know I need to step up my game. My plan is to have a Madonna like 40's (be fitter and look almost better than I did in my 20's) and I have to start now.

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Do you think it is okay to

I don't think it's bad to look to others for inspiration as long as you're being realistic. Serena Williams is one of my inspirations. I love how strong and sexy she looks. I think that muscles on women are beautiful when they aren't overdone. Dancers are also my inspiration. I danced in three different companies when I was younger and dancing is the first thing I do when I want to get back in shape. Look at the women from the Broadway production of Fela! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Can I get some of that? I think more about training as opposed to just losing weight. But that's the mentality that works for me.

neethair wrote:I need to became a better me. Weight is just becoming an issue for me. I am only 5'0, it use to be very easy to lose weight. But as I reached 30 it has been hard.

I want to be a completely better person from a better spiritual relationship to healthly natural hair and everything in between.

So ladies, thank you and I apprecipate your support as I became a better me.

We're all here to support each other. Long live the sisterhood!
FemmeFox
FemmeFox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum