CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

**traveljunkie08**

+34
CocoEuro
bholmes87
sunbaby
KinkyNappyHappy
StephanieB
CocaColaCutie
BlondeByDesire
MsJay1121
Kea::curls
CurlyMo
Notthecoolmom
Erica5417
SheeTacular
Pinkrage
Courtney
vmichelle
curly+kinky+fierce
LilMsPuddles
Freestyles
dajewel
Corygentri
truet
HumanNature
Juices-n-Berries
Intelligentbeauty
sweetdrk1
Courtie
AfrikanLatina
Curly Film Chick
NylaCoils
adiaha
ChrsLvsBks
Lynnieluve
traveljunkie08
38 posters

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

**traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Empty Re: **traveljunkie08**

Post by ChrsLvsBks 2nd April 2010, 11:12 pm

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back! I can only imagine how much of a difference your presence made in the lives of all those you met. God bless you.

I thought a WnG would be best while in Haiti. I am glad it worked out for you. Your hair looked great while there. The puff looked fantastic.

I loved the results of the recent twist out and WnGs. Don't know if you have tried the accordion method but I suggest it. MC did a YT video and posted instructions in her thread. Many are having success with it.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 3rd April 2010, 1:22 am

npmoore04 wrote:Did you shingle it or do it in sections?

Both. I shingled in sections. Usually when I do it with conditioner, I just smooth conditioner through fairly large sections. Maybe I should try that with the gel?

Intelligentbeauty wrote:TJ, I like it but I understand what you are saying. I love it that way too. **traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Icon_smile
BTW--I see some hang time too. **traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Icon_lol

Thanks! I like hang time. I want more of it. Wink

Lynnieluve wrote:Your hair is really growing.

sweetdrk1 wrote:I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND!! it looks good but not the way YOU want it! Have a great weekend and it is growing like Lynn said!
Yay for growth! I know it's growing, but with this shrinkage it doesn't feel like it sometimes. I really want to straighten it but I'm going to wait a little longer.

BlondeByDesire wrote:Hey TJ,

How did you apply the EcoStyler? That's on my 'to do' list too. I like it but like everyone else I understand your frustration.
I did it in sections, doing the rake and smooth method. I may try something different next time.

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back! I can only imagine how much of a difference your presence made in the lives of all those you met. God bless you.

I thought a WnG would be best while in Haiti. I am glad it worked out for you. Your hair looked great while there. The puff looked fantastic.

I loved the results of the recent twist out and WnGs. Don't know if you have tried the accordion method but I suggest it. MC did a YT video and posted instructions in her thread. Many are having success with it.
Thanks! I'll definitely have to look into this!

So, I liked day two of the WnG a little better than day one. I spent some time separating curls...and fluffing a lot...so it got frizzy in some spots, but that's okay.

**traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Gedc1310

**traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Gedc1311

**traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Gedc1219

**traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Gedc1312
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 3rd April 2010, 2:00 am

I LOVE IT! and the flower! Yay!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 4th April 2010, 11:22 am

Hi TJ

I looked for pictures wet, but I couldn't find them; however, dry that WnG is beautiful. I love your curl definition, and the back, the back...WOW. That would be a cute avatar picture!!!

Wishing you and your a Happy Easter!!!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 4th April 2010, 3:42 pm

That Day 2 WnG is saying something!! I love the flower too! Hey have you ever done ACV rinse? I think I am in love...I absolutely love how my curls responded

Happy Easter!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 6th April 2010, 1:36 pm

Hey Soror,

I am glad you are back safely. You had me in tears reading about the kids over in Haiti. My sister travels to the DR to volunteer at the schools and she LOVE the kids (and they love her too). They are SO sweet. You are truly blessed to have that experience.

On the hair note, I LOVE the WNG. You hair is growing.

I have been MIA since I gave up the sites for lent.
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 7th April 2010, 6:36 pm

Juices-n-Berries wrote:I LOVE IT! and the flower! Yay!
Thanks!!! Smile

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Hi TJ

I looked for pictures wet, but I couldn't find them; however, dry that WnG is beautiful. I love your curl definition, and the back, the back...WOW. That would be a cute avatar picture!!!

Wishing you and your a Happy Easter!!!

KNH
Thanks! I didn't have any wet pics. Hope you had a great Easter!

sweetdrk1 wrote:That Day 2 WnG is saying something!! I love the flower too! Hey have you ever done ACV rinse? I think I am in love...I absolutely love how my curls responded

Happy Easter!!
Thank you! I def liked day 2. Hmm...I may have to try an ACV rinse.
Pinkrage wrote:Hey Soror,

I am glad you are back safely. You had me in tears reading about the kids over in Haiti. My sister travels to the DR to volunteer at the schools and she LOVE the kids (and they love her too). They are SO sweet. You are truly blessed to have that experience.

On the hair note, I LOVE the WNG. You hair is growing.

I have been MIA since I gave up the sites for lent.
Welcome back!!! That's so great that you gave up the sites for Lent! Where does your sister volunteer in the DR? I'm going back to Haiti in a few weeks, and I'm going to the DR and Puerto Rico on my way back to the States. I can't wait. I've been having a difficult time being back home.

Ladies, I'm so behind on your threads. I'm sure I've missed a lot. I'm going to try to catch up this week. As I just mentioned to PinkRage, I'm going back to Haiti on 24 April. I'll spend 32 days in the Caribbean and my hair will be out the entire time, so I'm gonna do protective styles until I leave. I started today by just doing some two strand twists. I'm going to try (key word is try) not to wear my hair out over the next few weeks.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 7th April 2010, 7:08 pm

I almost gave up the sites for lent too. Maybe next year... Lol.

You're going back? That's great! Have fun and keep us posted. Bring me back a Puerto Rican or Dominican boyfriend! Thanks in advance! **traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Lol
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 7th April 2010, 9:00 pm

You are going back!! That is Awesome, be careful and have a great time. When you say you are having a hard time being home, what do you mean? PM if you need to..ok?
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 7th April 2010, 10:00 pm

Juices-n-Berries wrote:I almost gave up the sites for lent too. Maybe next year... Lol.

You're going back? That's great! Have fun and keep us posted. Bring me back a Puerto Rican or Dominican boyfriend! Thanks in advance! **traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Lol

**traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Lol
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 8th April 2010, 2:25 am

WOW, SOUNDS LIKE REALLY NICE TRIPS COMING UP!!
I LOVE THE WnGS as usual and the flower is perfect on you. Very Happy
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th April 2010, 10:49 am

The purple flower, is that the one that has the hair pin attached? You got that from Forever 21, right?

You're leaving us again?!!! **traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Icon_lol I think that's great TJ!! Keep us updated and check in (if you can) from time to time. 32 days? I'm gonna miss you!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 8th April 2010, 6:52 pm

Juices-n-Berries wrote:I almost gave up the sites for lent too. Maybe next year... Lol.

I won't bring him back, but I'll be on the lookout and collect email addresses on your behalf. Seriously. Wink

sweetdrk1 wrote:You are going back!! That is Awesome, be careful and have a great time. When you say you are having a hard time being home, what do you mean? PM if you need to..ok?
Oh, it's reverse culture shock. It's something that other ppl I volunteered with are going through as well. I thought it only applied to ppl who lived/volunteered abroad for long periods of time, but I'm dealing with it after just two weeks and even ppl who were there for a week are going through it.

Intelligentbeauty wrote:WOW, SOUNDS LIKE REALLY NICE TRIPS COMING UP!!
I LOVE THE WnGS as usual and the flower is perfect on you. Very Happy
Aw, thanks IB. Very Happy

I'm so excited to go to the DR. I've been wanting to go for a long time. And I'm always happy to return to San Juan (I lived there for 6 months in college).

Lynnieluve wrote:The purple flower, is that the one that has the hair pin attached? You got that from Forever 21, right?

You're leaving us again?!!! **traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Icon_lol I think that's great TJ!! Keep us updated and check in (if you can) from time to time. 32 days? I'm gonna miss you!!
Yep, I got it from F21. I need to put some ribbon or something around it because the pin gets stuck in my hair. Yeah, I gots to go. Smile I'm taking my own laptop this time so I'll check in occasionally.

In hair news, I'm going to have to re-wash my hair. It feels so awful. Sad My hair hasn't been "right" since I tried a few new products over the weekend.No I *think* The culprit is either the Suave Almond & Shea Butter or Aussie Moist 3 Min Miracle...or both. Guess that'll stop me from experimenting with new products for a while. BUT, I'm going to try one more conditioner and that's Trader Joe's Nourish Spa. If I don't like it, I'll just stick with the HE conditioners.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 8th April 2010, 7:58 pm

Hi TJ~

Now I understand the nature of your screen name!!! You are truly going to enjoy yourself, and at the same time give back to those that need help.

Hope you find out what is making your hair unhappy!!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 8th April 2010, 8:12 pm

Yay! I'll take a penpal. **traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Icon_biggrin I have heard it's challenging to come back to the normalcy of things after seeing the extreme way people live elsewhere. Hope you have a blast on your trip. You will definitely be missed.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 8th April 2010, 8:40 pm

You have just been up to a lot TJ!!!! I'm so excited for your trips coming up and it's such a blessing that there are people like you willing to give up their time to help others Smile

And I'm super late but I LOVE LOVE LOVE your WnG's!!! Your curls looks great! And I know what you mean about your hair looking too polished for your liking. But it really did look great Very Happy
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by Corygentri 8th April 2010, 10:25 pm

Your hair looks great TJ. Safe travels. I am living vicariously through you!
Corygentri
Corygentri

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 8th April 2010, 10:55 pm

Hey there, I used Trader Joe's Conditioner when I was at my BFF a few weeks ago. I love it! Of course I got a few bottles, me likey!! Travel safely!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 23rd July 2010, 6:20 am

Hey sis!!

It's so good to see your posts again. I need some eye candy, lemme see them curls, I know they are beautiful
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 23rd July 2010, 11:18 pm

i 2nd that motion...im always so excited to see u pop in
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 24th July 2010, 1:12 am

Okay Sweet and Nubie, this is just for you. Very Happy

Like the first time, I pretty much wore my hair in a puff the whole time I was in Haiti. Here's a typical puff with me and two kids from an orphanage I worked at. I love these two kids so much. They really touched me...especially the little girl (they are siblings).

**traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Me_and10

Here's a candid pic a volunteer took of me with the little girl, Yves. I was praying for her. I had no idea anyone else was even around...when the volunteer showed me the pic, I cried uncontrollably. It is so, so beautiful and really captured the moment.

**traveljunkie08** - Page 17 A_pray10

There were maybe three occasions when I wore my hair "out". When I did, I'd get so many compliments from other volunteers and locals.

**traveljunkie08** - Page 17 31063_10

When I left Haiti, I went to the Dominican Republic. By that point, my hair needed some TLC from the constant exposure to the sun and being "washed" with water that had been treated with bleach. So I bought a few Dominican products and deep conditioned my hair overnight. I wore my hair in a WnG every day I was in the DR.

**traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Gedc1710

**traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Gedc1711

After the DR, I went to Puerto Rico. It's there that I discovered that all of my hair could finally fit into a ponytail in its curly state. cheers

**traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Gedc1810

**traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Gedc1811

When I got back to the states, I blew my hair out just to see it in a more stretched state since I'd been wearing it curly/coily for 34 days straight.

**traveljunkie08** - Page 17 Gedc1910

And this is me last week rocking a twist out.
**traveljunkie08** - Page 17 34495_10

I've mostly been wearing my hair in twists since I've been back, wearing twist outs when I'm going somewhere special or just feel like wearing my hair out.

I return to Haiti in 10 days for at least three months. I have been so stressed about making sure I take enough hair products to cover me for most of that time. I finally settled on the following products to take with me:

Shampoo: Kinky Curly Come Clean. I really, really like this shampoo. It leaves my hair squeaky clean but not dry and stripped. Should be perfect for getting fine dust particles and other debris out of my hair (and of course product build-up).

Conditioner: Kenra Color Maintenance. I bought this because it has good ingredients and the liter was on sale for $11.88 at Beauty Brands. I've tested it out a few times, and I like it.

Leave-in: Abba Pure Moisture Leave-in. This was also on sale at Beauty Brands. It was $4 and some change. Normally it's like $25, but I would NEVER pay that. Not worth it. I also bought Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz to use as a leave-in for when I do twists. I also tested this out a couple of times, and I really, really like it. It gives a light, soft hold. I'll have to use it sparingly though to make it last.

Oil: QB AOHC. I'll use it as a pre-poo and a sealant. I'm meeting some friends in Miami next week, and one of my friends is bringing me some from DC just to make sure I have it. I I love you her!!!

Gel: Eco Styler Olive Oil

I'm also taking a bottle of AO HSR conditioner and an ORS replenishing pack in case of emergency. Oh, I'm taking some glycerin too just to see how that works mixed with water to refresh my puffs.

Okay, that's it. I've rambled on way too long. Guess I shouldn't stay away for so long. Smile

traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 24th July 2010, 1:44 am

What a wonderful update! That hair is looking great! I love that pic when you are praying, simply amazing.

I see that tan working while you were in DR! Looks like you had a ball!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 24th July 2010, 7:43 pm

Welcome back!! I am glad you posted pics!! It's good to see you!!

Smooches.
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 25th July 2010, 10:20 pm

Thanks Sweet & Shee!!! Smile
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 27th July 2010, 1:36 pm

Hi lady!

Thanks for the update! Love what you are doing for those in Haiti.

I hope you enjoyed your time in DR and PR. I love both, and I hope to visit them again in the next few years.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next