CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I would love to be a Big Sis to someone needing support/advice

+6
earthychic77
Tamren
labon10
DanceOnTheSkylines
adiaha
oooop2
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I would love to be a Big Sis to someone needing support/advice - Page 2 Empty Re: I would love to be a Big Sis to someone needing support/advice

Post by WavyKid 8th January 2010, 4:12 pm

I haven't tried coils yet but maybe I'll give it a whirl.Thanks!
WavyKid
WavyKid

Back to top Go down

I would love to be a Big Sis to someone needing support/advice - Page 2 Empty Re: I would love to be a Big Sis to someone needing support/advice

Post by Thinking4herselfnow 9th January 2010, 11:06 pm

oooop2 wrote:What oils/condish are you trying out? When my hair was your length, I loved Pantene. Now that it's longer, my hair HATES HATES HATES Pantene. Once in awhile, I'll try to use Pantene, and my hair just knots up. Now my hair loves Herbal Essence and Aubrey's.

As far as conditioners, I've been alternating between Herbal Essence Hello Hydration and Soft Sheen Carson's Optimum Recovery Conditioner. As far as oils, I've fallen in love with EVOO, but I HATE the smell, are there any scents that you would suggest so that I can get rid of that smell?

My hair used to like Pantene too, but when I was transitioning, I found that the conditioner was not doing my hair justice. Now, on the other hand, the deep conditioning mask is a lover of mines. It really shows the texture of my hair Smile

As soon as I get some money, I am going to order some Castor Oil because my hair sometimes lacks softness and I would like to regain that.

There is one thing that bothers me though. . . the ends of my hair seem matted Sad I'm not sure how I feel about that. I was picking through my wet hair and I noticed the difference between my hair. . . and I DON'T like the matted ends. I voiced my concerns to my mom, because I was considering cutting the ends again, and she said that I just need to make sure that my hair is moisturized and healthy and those ends will soften. What is your take on the situation?
Thinking4herselfnow
Thinking4herselfnow

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamren 9th January 2010, 11:39 pm

Ok..I'm have a question.

I've switched products (use Giovanni/Organix) and my question is how long does it take for me to know if it's working? What are the things to look for? When I shampoo/condition, my hair seems moisturized, but and soon a day goes by, my hair gets dry again. When I put my hands in it, I can feel oil, but at the same time, it feels rough.

Hope that makes sense.
Tamren
Tamren

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 10th January 2010, 11:37 pm

Thinking4herselfnow wrote:
oooop2 wrote:What oils/condish are you trying out? When my hair was your length, I loved Pantene. Now that it's longer, my hair HATES HATES HATES Pantene. Once in awhile, I'll try to use Pantene, and my hair just knots up. Now my hair loves Herbal Essence and Aubrey's.

As far as conditioners, I've been alternating between Herbal Essence Hello Hydration and Soft Sheen Carson's Optimum Recovery Conditioner. As far as oils, I've fallen in love with EVOO, but I HATE the smell, are there any scents that you would suggest so that I can get rid of that smell?

My hair used to like Pantene too, but when I was transitioning, I found that the conditioner was not doing my hair justice. Now, on the other hand, the deep conditioning mask is a lover of mines. It really shows the texture of my hair Smile

As soon as I get some money, I am going to order some Castor Oil because my hair sometimes lacks softness and I would like to regain that.

There is one thing that bothers me though. . . the ends of my hair seem matted Sad I'm not sure how I feel about that. I was picking through my wet hair and I noticed the difference between my hair. . . and I DON'T like the matted ends. I voiced my concerns to my mom, because I was considering cutting the ends again, and she said that I just need to make sure that my hair is moisturized and healthy and those ends will soften. What is your take on the situation?

Try adding some Lavender or peppermint drops to your EVOO. Purchase the LIGHT Extra Virgin Olive Oil and then add the drops and see if that helps with the smell. Regarding your ends feeling matted, does it feel matted only when dry or also when wet? How are you detangling your hair? Do you deep condition? What are you doing to your ends before/after you style? After you making sure to moisturize your hair/ends day and night and covering your hair before going to bed. Since you recently did your boycut, your ends shouldn't be damaged. So it sounds like it is just lacking moisture. So I agree with your Mom.

Tamren wrote:Ok..I'm have a question.

I've switched products (use Giovanni/Organix) and my question is how long does it take for me to know if it's working? What are the things to look for? When I shampoo/condition, my hair seems moisturized, but and soon a day goes by, my hair gets dry again. When I put my hands in it, I can feel oil, but at the same time, it feels rough.

Hope that makes sense.

Both of those products are suppose to be very good. I haven't had much success with Organix (did nothing for my hair), but Giovanni tends to leave my hair feeling nice and soft. I tend to give a product 2-3 tries before I write it off. Are you deep conditioning your hair? What styling products are your using on your hair? Some products contain chemicals (ex alcohol) that are extremely drying on your strands. Are you spritzing your hair with anything in the morning or at night before going to bed? And are you covering your hair before going to bed.

I would suggest cowashing on a regular basis. Applying a really good moisturizing cream onto your strands (I make my own shea mix, but Qhemet has fabulous products). Water is the BEST moisturizer for your strands, so spritz your hair with it daily (I mix water, glycerin, and aloe vera gel). If oil is sitting on your head and your hair feels dry, it's lacking moisture.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamren 11th January 2010, 12:15 am

Ok, I think I'm getting somewhere. I'm starting to DC but I'm doing that overnight now. I have a spray bottle but all it has in it is water and oil. I do have cover my hair at night with a silk scarf. The styling products I'm using now is setting lotion and sometimes I use Hair and Scalp Spray. How often should I co-wash?
Tamren
Tamren

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 13th January 2010, 12:39 am

Tamren wrote:Ok, I think I'm getting somewhere. I'm starting to DC but I'm doing that overnight now. I have a spray bottle but all it has in it is water and oil. I do have cover my hair at night with a silk scarf. The styling products I'm using now is setting lotion and sometimes I use Hair and Scalp Spray. How often should I co-wash?

In my spray bottle I have water, aloe vera gel (purchased from iherb.com), and glycerin. I don't add oils to my spray b/c after I spray, I apply my shea mix that has oils in it.

Setting lotions and some of those hair sprays can also be very drying, so check out the ingredient. Based upon your length, I would probably cowash at least 3-4x/week.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamren 13th January 2010, 2:15 am

Thx!! Going to get some glycerin. It has been on my wish list for awhile now.
Tamren
Tamren

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 13th January 2010, 12:41 pm

Keep me posted.
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

I would love to be a Big Sis to someone needing support/advice - Page 2 Empty Are you still interested in being a big sister to another person?

Post by lallyc2009 14th January 2010, 3:39 pm

Hello,

I am I guess what you could call a newly natural. I have been braiding my hair for a couple of years and have about 5-6 inches of natural hair and will be finally wearing it natural very soon. I know that this is definitely a journey and think it would be nice to have someone helping me out along the way let me know if you are available for this.

--Thanks!

lallyc2009

Back to top Go down

I would love to be a Big Sis to someone needing support/advice - Page 2 Empty disregard please!

Post by photobscura 14th January 2010, 8:38 pm

This is an error message and I don't how to delete it. Sorry!

Last edited by photobscura on 14th January 2010, 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
photobscura
photobscura

http://www.katrinadavisphotograhy.com

Back to top Go down

I would love to be a Big Sis to someone needing support/advice - Page 2 Empty Could you be my big sis please?

Post by photobscura 14th January 2010, 8:39 pm

oooop2 wrote:I've been natural since Feb 1998, but I only started growing my hair out in Nov 2005. If you check out my fotki album, you can definitely see my hair journey. I have learned a lot along the way, and have had much success in growing and retaining my hair length. If you have any questions/etc, don't hesitate to ask me Smile

http://public.fotki.com/oooop2/

Hello, my name is Katrina and I'm just starting to transition? Could you be my big sister please? I need as much help as I can get!
photobscura
photobscura

http://www.katrinadavisphotograhy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 15th January 2010, 12:16 am

lallyc2009 and photobscura, I would gladly be your big sister? You can just post on here or send me a private message.

And photobscura are you a photographer? Photography is my hobby Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2