CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Sister

+2
Tria
NylaCoils
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Big Sister Empty Big Sister

Post by NylaCoils 14th December 2009, 7:07 pm

Why I went natural and what led to that decision?

This is my third effort at going natural. This time is the final TIME! I am more relaxed when I am a natural. Curling irons or a flat iron is NOT my kind of thing. My natural is so much easier to style! I am not good at styling, my straight hair. The very first time I went natural, was because my ex-husband told me I was his Jill Scott and he liked her look! I loved it. During our separation..I was trying to get a new look with my natural and got a haircut! BIG MISTAKE!!!!! It was shoulder length, at that time. The stylist, (unfamiliar with natural hair), basically gave me a low cut fade. I ran back to a perm for fear of a TWA. (teenie weenie afro). The last time (straight),my hair was short. I was so tired of the curling iron! This time, I ran back to my NATURAL, the hair that I am most comfortable with. Finally, I did the big chop and am happy with my look!

How long did I transition? The first time and second time I transitioned, I wore micros for about 6-9 months, then cut of the perm ends. This last time, I went natural, I transitioned for 4 mos. I went to a beauty salon to get coils and the stylist told me she couldn't do it on straight hair and commenced to giving me a BC! Talk about being un-prepared!

If you choose me as a Big Sister, I am available to to talk here on this thread and skype
(nylacoils).
My hair type is crazy! The sides (all around my head is 3c/4a combo) the middle section is 4b.
I can take up to 3 little sisters!

Nyla Coils
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Big Sister Empty Re: Big Sister

Post by Tria 14th December 2009, 9:42 pm

I would love to be your natural little sister! I have been natural all my life, but I need a little guidance. I have used too much heat for my hair to handle and now it is somewhat damage and I have crazy split ends. However I am afraid to cut of the ends. I know that it would be healthy for my hair but I am nervous.

I have 3c/4a/4b hair (is it possible to have all three?)

I would really apperciate it if you would take me on as your little natural sister.

Best regrads,

Tria
Tria
Tria

https://www.youtube.com/user/NaturallyMe21

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 14th December 2009, 10:16 pm

Tria- you got it! I would love to be your Big Sister!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by starrnatural 27th December 2009, 10:34 pm

Hi NylaCoils,
I would love to be your little sister if you still have room for one more dance

starrnatural

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 27th December 2009, 11:32 pm

Hey Star! Yes, I do have room for one more!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 27th December 2009, 11:33 pm

What is your current regime? What stage are you in? Are you transitioning or natural?
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by starrnatural 28th December 2009, 10:56 am

Nylacoils,
Lets see where to begin......I haven't had a perm in over 4 years. Unitl recently I have been faithful salon goer and get my hair flat ironed every two weeks. All the perm is out of my hair but I notice now that I have straight pieces of hair here and there that will not curl. I guess I will have to cut this but I am not ready too just yet. The main reason I'd went to the salon was because I am scared of my natural hair. I know that sounds bad but I DO NOT know how to care for it. I don't know what products to use to keep it moisturized nor what styles to wear it in. I love this site because I can see what other naturals are using and see if it works for my hair. I bought a few products that I'd seen CurlyNikki use and this past weekend (Sat) I did the following:

1. I washed my hair with Giovanni sulfate free shampoo (to remove product buildup). I do plan to co-wash this Sat going forward.
2. I conditioned with Hello Hydration and detangled with Devacare one (didn't really care for the DevaCare one-my hair was soooo tangled)
3. I deepconditioned with Jessicurl weekly deep treatment. (I liked it)
4. I applied a Aussie hair insurance as a water based leave in.
5. I applied jojoba oil
6. I applied a cream based leave in (steps 4,5 & 6 were suppose to seal in moisture)

So the two things I am trying to incorporate with my hair regimne is the co-wash method and sealing in moisture (based on book Grow it by Chicoro). That was really my first attempt at the routine so I still have some changes to make. Can you see anything I can do differently? Maybe some product suggestions. Or anyother valuable information that you think will be useful to me as I learn how to maintain my hair.

Thanks!

Also can you tell me how to put a pic on my avatar? I saw your link on how to put a picture in your post but I can't figure the avatar out to save my life. LOL

starrnatural

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 28th December 2009, 11:48 am

go to profile
click on avatar
you will then see
on uplpad an avatar from your computer
click on choose file
The picture should be in the pictures folder -if you are adding it from your pc

I hope that this helps. If not then let me know and we will work through it
Your regimine looks great. One thing- are you documenting your journey through pictures ? You can use fotki. www.fotki.com
Through Words- there is the buttersnbars challenge, or starting a blog or journaling it a book.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by starrnatural 28th December 2009, 3:55 pm

Great thanks, I will try to load a pic when I get home. I do keep a journal just to keep track of the products I use and how my hair acted on a particular day. I do have a fotki account but have not gotten around to putting pics on it. I will very soon. I do take pics of my hair every day with different styles so I can reference back to them and see how they look on me.

I will continue to do the above routine for a few months and see if I can tell a difference in my hair. I am sooo tempted right now to get braids or a weave or something but that is just me trying to avoid dealing with my hair. I am trying to stay motiviated. I really am.

starrnatural

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 28th December 2009, 7:36 pm

Star- I know the feeling- I am wanting to do the same thing! I like to not have to do my hair in the winter. In the summer, I dont mind a wash and go!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by raniesaj 29th December 2009, 12:40 am

Hi NylaCoils,

I think my Big Sis is on Christmas vacation [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] , so I was wondering if I could get your help... PLEASE!!!

I am BCing tomorrow after only 3 months of transitioning!!!! I was supposed to do it last week, but I didn't take out my micros before my appt so I couldn't. I literally just took out my micros like an hour ago and have to go to work tomorrow. Have NO IDEA what I'm going to do with my hair!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I am tempted to do the BC myself, but I don't want to mess anything up. After it's done I have no IDEA what to do with my hair. What moisturizer I should use, when to moisturize, when to wash, how to style, etc, etc, etc.... OMG!!! I am sooooo nervous and anxious and excited and scared to death all at once!!!

I have gotten mixed opinions from the people who I told I was going to do it!! After taking my braids out I know that it have to be now or never. I HATE taking braids out so I don't EVER want to subject myself to that again, and I don't have the money to get my hair done in transitioning styles, nor do I have the knowledge to do them myself.

OMG!! Please help me!!! Anything you can say would definitely help me to calm down because I am freaking out!!! Not regretting or second-guessing myself, just trying to figure out what in the world am I going to do afterwards?!?!?!?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by raniesaj on 29th December 2009, 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correcting misspelled words, forgot to proofread...)
raniesaj
raniesaj

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 29th December 2009, 12:45 am

girl- I am here reading this- dont want you to think - i am not going to respond- I hear your S_O_S!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 29th December 2009, 12:58 am

Ok so first question is - how long is your hair. For work tomorrow, do a braidncurl. Wear it out and wear a hand band. After your BC,
I use VO5 for a cowash, I use Aussie Moist or Herbal Essence Hello Hydration or Totally Twisted for a leave in.

This is my hair with water and shea

http://public.fotki.com/Nyla-Coily/natural-hair/wetwshea.html

Apply shea butter to keep it moist. You are going to want to get a few spray bottles. These are also to keep your hair moist. Put conditoner 1/3 cup, water1/2 cup and olive or castor oil (3 tablespoons). Think Soul Glow lol

I am so sorry Koils hasn't been on- I guess she is getting her products ready.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by raniesaj 29th December 2009, 1:06 am

Ok. (breathing a little easier) But I dont know how to braid.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
(Yeah, I know, I'm a sad excuse for a girl) I hear it all the time. Best I can do is twist strands of hair together on my daughter's head...

And I can never find shea butter... I always find it mixed with something else, like a lotion... where do you normally get your products from?
raniesaj
raniesaj

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 29th December 2009, 1:12 am

Ok so no shea butter- ! I get mine from the African Hair Braiders. I just call and ask if they sell shea butter and how much is it?

Do the twist out- Nikki has a tutorial

here:

http://www.curlynikki.com/2008/10/as-promised-t-n-c-tutorial-is-here-d.html
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by raniesaj 29th December 2009, 1:26 am

Thank you, I will try this and let you know how it turns out.

BTW, I my hair is longer in the front than in the back, I got it cut into a bob back in August... but it broke off REALLY bad right after I got it cut, which lead to my decision to NEVER relax my hair again... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thank you!!! I will let you know when I get my BC. I would post pics, but don't think I can here... You are a life-saver!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
raniesaj
raniesaj

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 29th December 2009, 1:32 am

Ok- please post pics! Do you need me to send you the link on how to do that?
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by raniesaj 29th December 2009, 1:38 am

yes!!! That will be great!!!
raniesaj
raniesaj

Back to top Go down

Post by raniesaj 31st December 2009, 1:26 am

I DID IT!!! IT'S GONE!!!! LOL!!! I LOVE IT!!! It feels great!!! YOu guys forget to tell me how GREAT I would feel!! LOL!!! Now the reall fun begins!!! I am sooo happy!!! Please tell me how to post a pic so you can see. I am so excited!!! I'm mad at myself for not doing it sooner!! LOL!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!
raniesaj
raniesaj

Back to top Go down

Post by raniesaj 7th January 2010, 9:47 pm

Soooo, although I am REALLY loving my TWA and have had no regrets, sometimes I find myself thinking that I still have hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] LOL!!! I mean, its been a week and I still hesitate to lean my head back on something or put a hat on because I keep thinking I'm going to mess up my hair. It is too funny!! I caught myself patting my head instead of scratching it because I didn't want to mess up my style. LOL!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Right now, I'm ok with just moisturizing my hair in the morning and go, bt once it starts to grow out, are their any tips I should keep in mind to keep my hair healthy and happy? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
raniesaj
raniesaj

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 7th January 2010, 10:30 pm

I am so happy that you are loving your "do"! It looks so pretty! Just remember to keep it moisturized. I usually do a trim about every 6 weeks. Pretty soon you will be wearing headbands and doing wash n goes for the summer!! WOO- hoo!!!!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by LearninToLove 8th January 2010, 5:46 pm

raniesaj wrote:I DID IT!!! IT'S GONE!!!! LOL!!! I LOVE IT!!! It feels great!!! YOu guys forget to tell me how GREAT I would feel!! LOL!!! Now the reall fun begins!!! I am sooo happy!!! Please tell me how to post a pic so you can see. I am so excited!!! I'm mad at myself for not doing it sooner!! LOL!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!
Wow! Your pic in the profile looks so cute!
LearninToLove
LearninToLove

http://www.my-natural-motherhood-journey.com/work-at-home-mom-to

Back to top Go down

Post by raniesaj 8th January 2010, 8:44 pm

Thank you so much!!! And I have never felt so beautiful. Every time my daughter looks at me she tells me how pretty she thinks I am. which really makes me feel even better, because she notices what I did for her!!!

Thank you all so much for your support!!!! My daughter and I both have gained more than you can ever know!!! Smooches!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
raniesaj
raniesaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th January 2010, 10:23 pm

Congratulations on your BC Raniesaj!! It looks so good.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 8th January 2010, 10:31 pm

raniesaj- Once again- I am so proud of you! It does look good! I love it! have you developed (hih syndrome) hand in hair
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next