CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freestyles: Self-Imposed Challenges!

+51
BajanPrincess82
LaToya28
jeanlouisangel
rayray19
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
krazy coils
anz30
SCRUG_A_LICIOUS
Sebastain13
KinkyNappyHappy
TerraD
Tamikac23
MahoganyCurls
Notthecoolmom
vmichelle
Stacye
FemmeFox
.:Eden:.
curly+kinky+fierce
MsJay1121
Corygentri
BlondeByDesire
Leila
SheeTacular
blondie
Juices-n-Berries
traveljunkie08
CocaColaCutie
NylaCoils
nmoultry
AfrikanLatina
Pi*Jay
HumanNature
adiaha
dajewel
Blackbeauty
d.denise
LilMsPuddles
sweetdrk1
BindyMac08
DanceOnTheSkylines
Preezie
Kea::curls
Courtie
Intelligentbeauty
tiashaunteƩ
lovesunshine17
lena73
ChrsLvsBks
Lynnieluve
Freestyles
55 posters

Page 21 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Empty Re: Freestyles: Self-Imposed Challenges!

Post by Freestyles 21st December 2010, 5:35 pm

I only used Knot Today! Well, I did use Miss Jessie's on my ends but the flakes are from root to tip! Lynnie, do you suggest I use the Bee Mine Moisturizer first then the Curly Butter?

-Reese afro
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Empty Re: Freestyles: Self-Imposed Challenges!

Post by Lynnieluve 21st December 2010, 5:37 pm

Yes the moisturizer then the curly butter. I havent tried that combo yet for myself but that's what NikG suggested to me.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Empty Twist Out Pics!

Post by Freestyles 21st December 2010, 6:03 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:Yes the moisturizer then the curly butter. I havent tried that combo yet for myself but that's what NikG suggested to me.

Thanks Lynnie!

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Dec_ha10

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Dec_ha11

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Dec_ha12

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Dec_ha13

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Dec_ha14

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Dec_ha15

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Dec_ha16

Later,
Reese afro
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 21st December 2010, 6:46 pm

Cute!!!

Are all of those your earrings?!!! Shocked
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 21st December 2010, 6:54 pm

Your hair is on FIYAH!!!

The FIYAH DEPT has been called!

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Firema11
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 21st December 2010, 6:57 pm

@ Lynnie: Unfortunately yes, when I moved for school a custom closet was first on my list! I made sure to have them build an "Accessory Wall!" It houses my earrings, rings, necklaces, pendants, and a few of my handbags at the bottom! I gotta big problem (accessory fetish)! Too bad I had to cut back on the accesories since I'm no longer employed No

---Reese afro
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 21st December 2010, 6:59 pm

NylaCoils wrote:Your hair is on FIYAH!!!

The FIYAH DEPT has been called!

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Firema11

NylaCoils you are so BAD! lol!
But he can come put my fire out ANYTIME! Lol. Thanks for the eyecandy Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 678474

---Reese afro
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 21st December 2010, 7:40 pm

nice ... hair
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Empty Re-twisted

Post by Freestyles 21st December 2010, 11:01 pm

BlondeByDesire wrote:nice ... hair

Thanks BBD! Very Happy

Okay ladies...
THE PRODUCT FLAKES WERE NOT CUTE!!! I'm leaving for Barbados tomorrow for the holidays to see my family (can't wait to see my grandma Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 678474 ) and I cannot go with the DUSTY HEAD! No Not a good look.

So, I shampooed (Aveda Dry Remedy Shampoo) and conditioned (Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner) in sections, then applied Bee Mine Conditioning Leave In Moisturizer and Bee Mine Curly Butter (Tropical Mango), section by section and retwisted in the same pattern that the twists were in a couple days ago...
geek
It was my first time using the Aubrey Organics Conditioner and I'm not sure what to think yet. It gave great "slip" as I only finger detangled, but that could be because I just detangled a few days ago too. After rinsing my hair felt squeaky clean almost like a shampoo, but not quite. It was still soft though so jury's still out on the AOHR. scratch

For now nothing beats my Aveda Sap Moss Detangling Conditioner, it makes my hair feel fantastic! Since it is now discontinued I snapped up a few over-priced liter bottles and travel sizes on ebay...that size used to retail for around $90 so you can only imagine the inflation due to supply and demand. Oh well, that was my splurge. Embarassed

Just sat under the hooded dryer chair for 45 minutes and now I'll apply the Bee Mine Serum to my parts. I'm also planning to remove the clips and perm rods from my ends, tie my hair down and untwist in the morning before my flight. Hoping for the best because this time there will be NO DO-OVERS! Rolling Eyes If I have product flakes again, I know that I'm just using TOO MUCH PRODUCT! Evil or Very Mad

Also, these twists were done on wet/damp hair as opposed to the stretched dry hair I twisted with the KCCC, so it'll be interesting to see how the shrinkage and definition differs.

My internet access will be extremely limited but I'll take lots of pics and be sure to update when I return in a week or so!!!! I'll miss you guys! flower

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL! santa

---Reese afro
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 21st December 2010, 11:06 pm

Going to Barbados...take me with you!!!!

By the way, I thought you were in a store w/ all those accessories behind you! lol
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 22nd December 2010, 12:23 am

Hey there fellow Bajan! I'd love to take u but with these flight prices I can barely take myself, lol! LOL@ being in a store, funny I didn't really think about the background until Lynnie mentioned the earrings, just took the pics inside of my closet. Shameful I know!
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 22nd December 2010, 1:11 am

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I could not see flakes in picture. In the future, you can try misting your hair with a water based product or water aloneand applying a mix of moisturizer and oil while your hair is wet to rid hair of flakes. Also, before trying new product combinations, mix both ingredients in your hand. You can also do this when adding another product to hair that was previously styled (i.e., mixing together KKKT, KKCC & Miss Jessie's)

I was looking at your accessories too. I was thinking is she home. Wow!

I love your country--have fun visiting your grandmother and other loved ones. So jealous right now--it is cold as heck here.

Happy Holidays & a safe and prosperous New Year!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 23rd December 2010, 7:24 pm

Well ladies, I made it to Barbados safely! Very Happy

But unfortunately, it didn't take long after my arrival for the focus to shift to my hair. Shocked
What are you going to do with it? When are you going to do something with it? It looks wild! It need to be "done." That type of "style" looks good for other people, but not for you. You hair looks so "hard." You need to comb it. You look like a porcupine (sp?).

NEWS FLASH PEOPLE: It's a twist out that went a little frizzy!

I will admit that my twist out looked more like a curly fro upon my arrival, but nevertheless, I was feeling it. And boy, was I deflated when the unwelcomed comments began to fly! Sad

You would think that in a country full of naturals, I wouldn't get so many questions and comments about how I choose to wear my hair. After I big chopped a few years back, the concern was how short it is. Now, I get told that it looks like I had good growth but I need to do "something to it."

Family suggestions: Wig, press, and creamy crack! WTH?

As many of you know, I'm down for the wigs all day, but I only brought one and it is a wild one, that definitely isn't a crowd favorite.

And the worst part? I was told that I need to hurry up and find an acceptable style for church on Christmas, but my hair is not to be worn "as is."

My mother wants to comb and "grease" my scalp. Absolutely not. I don't want it combed. "Well no one is gonna touch that head without being combed first."

UGGGHHHH! Not the reception I was hoping for, but I will still enjoy my holidays.

Later ladies,

Reese afro
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 23rd December 2010, 7:44 pm

I loved reading about your hair journey!
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Empty Freestyles: Family hates my hair!

Post by Freestyles 24th December 2010, 4:50 pm

Ok, so my family hates my hair...last night I decided to twist my hair. Guess what? My grandmother says she like the twists way more than the twist out. She added that people on the island often wear their hair like mine in the twists, but she never sees them with the "wild look" (my twist out). I feel much better but still don't like all the jokes pertaining to my "rough/tough" texture by my family members. Hello people - where do you think I got my genes from??? You guys!

Anyhow...hope everyone enjoys their Christmas.
Happy Holidays santa

---Reese afro
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 24th December 2010, 5:31 pm

wow sorry to hear about your family giving you a rough time...i love the big twist outs look!!!
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 24th December 2010, 11:38 pm

Hey baby cakes! I am really sorry about the reactions! Merry Christmas!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 25th December 2010, 1:12 am

Merry Christmas. Sorry also about the reactions to your hair also. Just try to stay positive, and enjoy the time with your family anyway **hugs**
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 26th December 2010, 12:39 am

Well, I found a happy median with my family...I got my grandma's neighbor to braid my natural hair. I love it! I'll add pics when I get back to U.S... woot!

My mom still tried to suggest that I add a "phony pony" to the braids for a more "finished" look. How about....NO!!!!!! Suspect

---Reese afro
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 30th December 2010, 2:44 pm

Glad you are visiting Barbados, sorry to hear about family's reactions.

Woo hoo for neighbor who was able to braid your hair so you are at peace and your hair is no longer the focus.

Enjoy the rest of your time there--looking forward to the pictures!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CocaColaCutie 30th December 2010, 7:50 pm

hey reese, sorry to hear about all the negative comments about your hair. i hope you at least like the braids they did for you. looking forward to pics!
CocaColaCutie
CocaColaCutie

Back to top Go down

Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Empty Freestyles: Back from Barbados! A few pics too...

Post by Freestyles 30th December 2010, 10:25 pm

Hello ladies,

I'm back from Barbados and had a great time visiting with family, especially my grandmother. She got extremely sick on my last day there and it was pretty scary - but, other than that things went well.

I set an appointment for senegalese twists at a local African Braiding Salon on January 7th...these twists MUST last an entire semester and I will get "touch ups" (outside rows retwisted) every 5-6 weeks. Think I'll head over to the challenge thread and see if there's anything I can jump into with the twists...

Anywho...here are the pics of my time away!

Frizzy twist-out that ALL of my family HATED (looks more like a curly fro):
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Barbad10

Shrunken messy twists (no parting done)that grandma LOVED, wth? I hated them, but did them while bored watching tv, no product added :
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Barbad11

Grandma's neighbor hooked me up with some "acceptable braids" for the church house on Christmas:
(Family approved braids, lol)
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Barbad12
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Barbad13
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Barbad14

Me and Grandma!
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Barbad15

Me and Mom! (Ignore our sweaty faces - it was so HOT!)
Freestyles:  Self-Imposed Challenges! - Page 21 Barbad16

That's all for now...

Hope every one enjoyed the holidays...HAPPY NEW YEAR in advance! woot! dance
---Reese afro

Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 31st December 2010, 1:01 pm

Hey Reese! I'm not sure I'v ever visited your page! Your hair adventure in Barbados with your family- was that exhausting? Sounds like it didn't overshadow your overall visit. I thought your curly fro was cute! I mean- YOU'RE cute so I think you could have gone wrong. I really liked the braids the neighbor did for you. You could wear that for a while and take out for a braid out later. I think that would be beautiful!

Well, I don't think I'd been by your page and I wanted to make the rounds. Happy New Year to you too!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 1st January 2011, 6:46 pm

Reese- sorry to hear abt your holidays. My uncle always says the craziest thing about my hair! My aunt mentioned that his daughter would be joining me in my nautral journey. He said: She has a husband, Nyla doesn't! Arent we trying to get Nyla a husband? Family gotta love them!

I thought all the looks were FAB!!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 1st January 2011, 7:06 pm

happy new year!!!! hun, am sorry to hear about your family's comments smh. i thought the style you arrived in was super gorgeous!! the hair, earings, skin, make-up, color was on point!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next