My hair is indestructible...in a bad way

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My hair is indestructible...in a bad way

Post by deeply_rooted_chick on 26th March 2011, 8:05 am

So yesterday my roommate and I decided we should dye our hair. After a lot of youtubing and time thinking it over we went to the grocery store and I picked a Loreal box for a lighter shade of brown. After my roommate starts doing my hair she notices I need two more boxes so we did another run then after all of it went through my previously sectioned hair we waited ten minutes as the box said. After a lot of conditioning afterwards I come out only to see the usual self.....I'm so mad at the waste of hair dye I bought and still not even a tint of a difference. Has this happened to you guys? Is dark hair really not able to go lighter unless bleach before? Because I just can't do bleach. smh
avatar
deeply_rooted_chick

Posts : 357
Join date : 2010-02-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My hair is indestructible...in a bad way

Post by HappigocurliJenn on 26th March 2011, 10:35 am

actually this happened to me this week. I bought a box of semi permanent Natural Instincts I don't remember the color but it was like a brownish red. I put the color in and left it on for like 15 minutes. It looked like it changed color so I rinsed it out conditioned with some deep condish and NOTHING!!! absolutely nothing!!! I wasted $10 for my hair to look the same. The only thing that changed color was 1/4 long piece of gray hair on the front of my head.
avatar
HappigocurliJenn

Posts : 72
Join date : 2009-11-16
Age : 38
Location : Buffalo, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My hair is indestructible...in a bad way

Post by deeply_rooted_chick on 26th March 2011, 10:45 am

Wow I used natural instincts too except it was like light brown color Sad
avatar
deeply_rooted_chick

Posts : 357
Join date : 2010-02-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My hair is indestructible...in a bad way

Post by creolebeauty1 on 26th March 2011, 11:55 am

i wanted light brown hair when i was relaxed and the lady permed my hair colored than bleached and color all in 2 weeks smh my hair fell out something terrible so don't bleach maybe you can try henna they say overtime you get color benefits too
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My hair is indestructible...in a bad way

Post by nattynattie on 26th March 2011, 3:04 pm

Semi-permanent hair color will not lighten your hair, you would have to do a permanent color for that. Sem-permanent is like a rinse...if your hair is dark, using a lighter semi-permanent color would be similar to coloring on a dark sheet of construction paper with a light colored crayon.

I used to color my hair allllll the time when I was relaxed. I never had any problems with it until I went to a professional who used some kind of bleach. My hair was done after that!
avatar
nattynattie

Posts : 52
Join date : 2010-11-24
Location : South

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My hair is indestructible...in a bad way

Post by JaliseH on 26th March 2011, 3:17 pm

I used dark and lovely vivacious red and it looks really nice. My roots are a little lighter than my relaxed hair which is wierd to me. I think maybe a product geared towards Black women might work better.
avatar
JaliseH

Posts : 42
Join date : 2011-01-30
Age : 30
Location : St. Louis, MO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My hair is indestructible...in a bad way

Post by krazy coils on 26th March 2011, 6:19 pm

nattynattie wrote:Semi-permanent hair color will not lighten your hair, you would have to do a permanent color for that. Sem-permanent is like a rinse...if your hair is dark, using a lighter semi-permanent color would be similar to coloring on a dark sheet of construction paper with a light colored crayon.

I used to color my hair allllll the time when I was relaxed. I never had any problems with it until I went to a professional who used some kind of bleach. My hair was done after that!

ITA that semi-permanent hair color will not lighten your hair color. Also you do not have to use bleach if you want your hair lighter. I colored my hair a lot when I was relaxed and the stylist who colored my hair only used a developer to lift my color.
avatar
krazy coils

Posts : 2224
Join date : 2009-11-29
Age : 42
Location : Lawrenceville, GA

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, http://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Re: My hair is indestructible...in a bad way

Post by deeply_rooted_chick on 26th March 2011, 9:40 pm

If I do semi-permanent does that mean I will never get my hair color back? Sad
avatar
deeply_rooted_chick

Posts : 357
Join date : 2010-02-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My hair is indestructible...in a bad way

Post by krazy coils on 26th March 2011, 10:03 pm

deeply_rooted_chick wrote:If I do semi-permanent does that mean I will never get my hair color back? Sad


You will get your color back because most semi-permanent colors are not meant to last and are rinses and will wash or fade after so many washes.
avatar
krazy coils

Posts : 2224
Join date : 2009-11-29
Age : 42
Location : Lawrenceville, GA

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, http://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Re: My hair is indestructible...in a bad way

Post by Jo Somebody on 26th March 2011, 10:44 pm

krazy coils wrote:
nattynattie wrote:Semi-permanent hair color will not lighten your hair, you would have to do a permanent color for that. Sem-permanent is like a rinse...if your hair is dark, using a lighter semi-permanent color would be similar to coloring on a dark sheet of construction paper with a light colored crayon.

I used to color my hair allllll the time when I was relaxed. I never had any problems with it until I went to a professional who used some kind of bleach. My hair was done after that!

ITA that semi-permanent hair color will not lighten your hair color. Also you do not have to use bleach if you want your hair lighter. I colored my hair a lot when I was relaxed and the stylist who colored my hair only used a developer to lift my color.

But isn't relaxed hair HIGHLY porous? So dyeing relaxed and natural hair may be different.
(I dunno, have never dyed before)
avatar
Jo Somebody

Posts : 241
Join date : 2010-12-13
Location : London/Nottingham, UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My hair is indestructible...in a bad way

Post by jenerett on 27th March 2011, 9:04 pm

Ok, I'm the queen of hair dying, lol. I've done ALOT of color changes in the last 6 years. Like they said semi-permanent is just a rinse it won't lighten your hair, if your hair is dark, a red or purple or blue semi-permanent color will show up as a slight hue of color when your in the sunlight light.

You DO NOT have to bleach your hair to lighten it. Like they said developer (peroxide) will light your hair a dark color to a medium or light brown. Now this is the tricky part, there are times when you have to bleach but I recommend not doing it, here's that situation. For example, lets say you have naturally dark hair and your dye it with a permanent hair color to be be jet black or a burgandey. Now a few months later you want to lighter, a blond or a light brown. You can't do it by using another permanent hair color, your only option then is to bleach it because your hair was already permanently colored, peroxide won't be able to "lift" (lighten) your hair again, the only thing that will work in that scenario is bleach

And if recently had a semi-permanent and then you want to lighten it with a permanent color, you will need to wait until the semi-permanent color has rinsed out of your hair/ worn off because it would be coating your strands and preventing the new color from taking.

The best thing to do, is not bleach. In time for summer, get a good permanent hair color in a medium to light brown, so when autumn or winter arrives and you want a new color, all you have to do is use semi-permanent. Since your hair is lighter already (light/medium brown), the semi-permanent will actually show up on your hair but you won't be stuck with the color. In a few months or less, it'll rinse out and you will be back to your medium/light brown again without having to damage your strands.

Sorry it's so long and I hope it made sense.
avatar
jenerett

Posts : 53
Join date : 2010-06-06
Age : 34
Location : Maryland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My hair is indestructible...in a bad way

Post by SeanymphPrincess on 28th March 2011, 12:00 am

JaliseH wrote:I used dark and lovely vivacious red and it looks really nice. My roots are a little lighter than my relaxed hair which is wierd to me. I think maybe a product geared towards Black women might work better.

Sound s like you had "HOT ROOTS"
avatar
SeanymphPrincess

Posts : 40
Join date : 2010-05-18
Age : 31
Location : The Big Apple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My hair is indestructible...in a bad way

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum