CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can roller setting and/or using a hooded dryer ever be bad for your hair?

2 posters

Go down

Can roller setting and/or using a hooded dryer ever be bad for your hair? Empty Can roller setting and/or using a hooded dryer ever be bad for your hair?

Post by Natural VeVe 19th March 2011, 11:00 pm

I'm 9 months into transitioning from relaxed to natural and I'm wearing my hair straight until I'm ready to BC. Once a week, I wash (no poo or cowash), deep condition, then set my hair in rollers and sit under a hooded dryer for at least an hour. I'm starting to wonder if I might be damaging the curl pattern on my natural hair that's growing in. I'd like to wear my hair straight sometimes, even after I transition, but can the heat from the hooded dryer or the roller set be bad for my natural curls? confused

Natural VeVe

Back to top Go down

Can roller setting and/or using a hooded dryer ever be bad for your hair? Empty Re: Can roller setting and/or using a hooded dryer ever be bad for your hair?

Post by naturallynola 24th March 2011, 9:54 pm

I am a living witness that it is possible to get heat damage from a hooded dryer. In my ignorance, I sat under a dryer frequently (every 4 of 5 days when I washed my hair) for about 2 hours without a heat protectant. I never thought about using a heat protectant since I wasn't using a flat iron or blowdryer. Anyway, my crown suffered big time! Well, I walked away from the dryer for about 5 months and since August, got under there 2 times I think because I was in a crunch. But, the setting was low and I set there only about 45 minutes. Heat damage can damage the curl pattern, making the strands straight and cause the hair to have a rough texture. As long as you do not use drying setting lotions or other damaging products, don't roll too tightly, and don't pull or get the hair caught, you shouldn't have damage from roller setting. Roller sets are a good way to transition b/c they blend the different textures well and you get a break from the routine twistout and braidouts.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down