Softer Hair

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Softer Hair

Post by cluelesscurl on 17th March 2011, 9:59 am



Wide Tooth Comb- Check
Drinks lots of water- Check
Rarely uses heat- Check
Protects hair at night-Check
Uses oils (coconut, olive, jojoba, and many others)- Check






Why is my hair extremely dry? Is it the change in wheater? Is anyone going through this? Help a sista out. I exhausted all my options.

cluelesscurl

Posts : 232
Join date : 2010-04-24
Location : Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Softer Hair

Post by FalconTress on 17th March 2011, 2:03 pm

cluelesscurl wrote:

Wide Tooth Comb- Check
Drinks lots of water- Check
Rarely uses heat- Check
Protects hair at night-Check
Uses oils (coconut, olive, jojoba, and many others)- Check






Why is my hair extremely dry? Is it the change in wheater? Is anyone going through this? Help a sista out. I exhausted all my options.


What products are you using?

FalconTress

Posts : 477
Join date : 2010-08-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Softer Hair

Post by BrownSkinDiva on 17th March 2011, 2:19 pm

you may want to try a good leave in, and a shea or mango butter as well.
avatar
BrownSkinDiva

Posts : 798
Join date : 2009-12-03
Age : 35
Location : Raleigh/Durham, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Softer Hair

Post by cluelesscurl on 17th March 2011, 2:48 pm



Co-wash with V05
Deep condish with baby jars of banana mixed with honey and ylang oil
Leave-in with Giovanni tea tree mixed with coco oil and setting lotion

I pre-poo and henna once a month maybe I need to stop with the henna

cluelesscurl

Posts : 232
Join date : 2010-04-24
Location : Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Softer Hair

Post by BrownSkinDiva on 17th March 2011, 2:48 pm

which setting lotion are you using? I know some have alcohols in them that can dry the hair...
avatar
BrownSkinDiva

Posts : 798
Join date : 2009-12-03
Age : 35
Location : Raleigh/Durham, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Softer Hair

Post by cluelesscurl on 17th March 2011, 2:49 pm

Proclaim I got at Sally's

cluelesscurl

Posts : 232
Join date : 2010-04-24
Location : Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Softer Hair

Post by tiashaunteé on 17th March 2011, 3:09 pm

Leave-in with Giovanni tea tree <--- I found this to be drying if used too much
henna once a month maybe I need to stop with the henna <---- you have to follow henna with a good moisturizing condish or it will be drying

Are you using a water-based moisturizer? That seems to be the missing element. The oils wont be to helpful if there is not any moisture for them to seal into your strands.

and ditto BrownSkinDiva, setting lotions can be drying. I would never use one for a leave in for that very reason. They are made to "set" and not to really moisturize your hair.
avatar
tiashaunteé

Posts : 4297
Join date : 2009-10-23
Age : 35
Location : Raleigh, NC

View user profile http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Softer Hair

Post by cluelesscurl on 17th March 2011, 3:32 pm

Thanks for the response ladies. I'm going to re-evaluate. This is sooooo
frustrating. Believe it or not the leave-in left my hair soft before now it turned on me. Looks like sombody's coming out of PJ rehab. LOL

cluelesscurl

Posts : 232
Join date : 2010-04-24
Location : Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Softer Hair

Post by tiashaunteé on 17th March 2011, 3:46 pm

cluelesscurl wrote:Thanks for the response ladies. I'm going to re-evaluate. This is sooooo
frustrating. Believe it or not the leave-in left my hair soft before now it turned on me. Looks like sombody's coming out of PJ rehab. LOL

That actually doesn't sound to strange because my setting lotion mix leaves my hair soft too but with too much use for too long it will dry my hair out. I hope it works out for you and soon, I know how frustrating it can be
avatar
tiashaunteé

Posts : 4297
Join date : 2009-10-23
Age : 35
Location : Raleigh, NC

View user profile http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Softer Hair

Post by FalconTress on 17th March 2011, 3:47 pm

tiashaunteé wrote:Leave-in with Giovanni tea tree <--- I found this to be drying if used too much
henna once a month maybe I need to stop with the henna <---- you have to follow henna with a good moisturizing condish or it will be drying

Are you using a water-based moisturizer? That seems to be the missing element. The oils wont be to helpful if there is not any moisture for them to seal into your strands.

and ditto BrownSkinDiva, setting lotions can be drying. I would never use one for a leave in for that very reason. They are made to "set" and not to really moisturize your hair.

I would add that you may need to use an actual cleanser vs. co-washing to remove product build-up so you can start with a clean(no pun intended) slate.

FalconTress

Posts : 477
Join date : 2010-08-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Softer Hair

Post by MissFierce21 on 17th March 2011, 4:18 pm

My secret to achieving soft hair is spritzing with water, add leave-in (similar to Kimmaytube, but only use every 2-3 days), and seal with olive oil (not very much). On top of that, the less product I use, the softer my hair is.
avatar
MissFierce21

Posts : 105
Join date : 2009-10-26
Age : 29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Softer Hair

Post by LoVe.Peace.CurLs on 26th March 2011, 12:43 pm

I have really thick hair and I used to have the drying problem, but adding moisturizing + sealing before I style my hair has really helped... Now my hair is so soft to the touch that I have to make myself (and others) keep the hands out of it lol...

I haven't used a setting lotion in a loonnnnng time, but I used to use Motions foaming wrap lotion back when I wore roller sets. It had great hold and didn't dry my hair out.

Now, I always wear twist-out curly 'fro, and I moisturize with CURLS Milkshake, seal with Spectrum brand coconut oil, then style. I seal the ends of my twists with the coconut oil as well, and my hair has never felt better.

That extra step of moisturizing first THEN sealing with oil makes a big difference, my hair stays soft literally for days, until I wash it again and repeat the process.
avatar
LoVe.Peace.CurLs

Posts : 27
Join date : 2010-06-01
Age : 29
Location : Ohio

View user profile http://aintshewavee.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Softer Hair

Post by dajewel on 26th March 2011, 12:58 pm

.


Last edited by dajewel on 26th March 2011, 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
dajewel

Posts : 1760
Join date : 2009-10-23
Age : 35
Location : orlando, florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Softer Hair

Post by dajewel on 26th March 2011, 12:59 pm

FalconTress wrote:
tiashaunteé wrote:Leave-in with Giovanni tea tree <--- I found this to be drying if used too much
henna once a month maybe I need to stop with the henna <---- you have to follow henna with a good moisturizing condish or it will be drying

Are you using a water-based moisturizer? That seems to be the missing element. The oils wont be to helpful if there is not any moisture for them to seal into your strands.

and ditto BrownSkinDiva, setting lotions can be drying. I would never use one for a leave in for that very reason. They are made to "set" and not to really moisturize your hair.

I would add that you may need to use an actual cleanser vs. co-washing to remove product build-up so you can start with a clean(no pun intended) slate.

agreed. perhaps a cleanser or a clarifier
avatar
dajewel

Posts : 1760
Join date : 2009-10-23
Age : 35
Location : orlando, florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Softer Hair

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum