CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help a sister out please!

5 posters

Go down

Help a sister out please! Empty Help a sister out please!

Post by Illyfro 16th March 2011, 5:59 am

Hello all u ladies,

Ive discovered curly nikki a while ago and boy was I happy. Honestly,it was what i needed all my life.. but i soon gave up because there was just sooo much info and i knew so little,i gave up hope and just thought it was too late for my messed up hair.
Then few days ago , i hit rock bottom..am too embarrsd to share details,but it was awfull!! I decided am gonna do everything i can to take care of my hair!.. Ive been on cn non stop,read pretty much everything,..then as silly as i am,i thought id get started with home made recipes... olive oil n some mayo..lol,dats best i could do at that time.. However,now its time to get started seriously,but i dont know how to get started...so maybe u guys can help me out.

ive been natural pretty much forever... i think im a 3c type... my hair is really dry,frizzy n very thin... am so worried bout my front and the sides because ive lost alotta hair n i dont wnna end up with bald head..i have a big forehead imagine how bad that is with no hairline.. i know i need to moisturize it good,deep conditioning..also,shampoo does damage to my hair,prolly cause ive been using da wrong ones...

So now i just wanna know how I need to get started,what products would u guys recomend with lil info i gave bout my hair.. i know i have to figure out what works for me but i just need help in right direction...there r so many products out there..i just cant decide.

looking forward to all da help i can get..

Illyfro

Back to top Go down

Help a sister out please! Empty Re: Help a sister out please!

Post by creolebeauty1 16th March 2011, 8:21 am

Well shampoo is not necessarily bad for you but if it contain sulfate it can dry out and strip your hair of its moisture so i would say if you still want to use shampoo go for a sulfate free one i'm not sure of any but if you google "sulfate free shampoos " i'm sure you'll get a decent list to put you in the right decision and of course make sure you read ingredients before you buy products , once you have a great cleanser aka shampoo , you will need a great conditioner , i would suggest one that does not contain any harmful chemicals , and that has extra moisture once again you can try google to get some product lines , than you can also deep condition to bring your hair back to life i would DC each time i wash avocado , honey and EVO (extra virgin olive oil ) is a great combo that provides moisture and shine , banana , EVO and honey , yesterday i tried this mix and loved it avocado , coconut milk , coconut oil avocado oil , honey you can keep your DC (deep conditioner) on for as long as you like overnight a few hours up to you and how much time you have
than you will need a good leave in that helps you detangle and moisturize your hair after using your leave in you'll want to seal with an oil of your choice
As far as oils that are great for hair i use Coconut oil , olive oil , castor oil , avocado oil , and jojoba oil those work great at sealing my hair
if you want you can try making a shea butter mix that you can also use a sealant after you apply your leave in
than for product lines i have used and love Giovanni they are affordable and all natural , jane carter solution very great products and all natural , than i have recently tried kinky curly leave in and love it as well they have many more lines out there for you to try and decide
This is it hope it all make sense any questions feel free to ask Smile
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 16th March 2011, 9:20 am

i agree, this is great advice for getting started.

some product suggestions you might want to check out:

Shampoos (sulfate free):

1. Alba botanicals - found in the organic section of super wal-mart, or local organic food store, or Sweetbay (regular grocery store, if u have one)

2. Shea moisture line at Target has a sulfate free shampoo (look up on the Target website to see if it's in your nearby Target, not all stores carry it)

All my staple products come from the Giovanni line (can be found in Target or local organic foods store)

Rinse out Conditioners(for after a shampoo):
Giovanni 50/50 Balanced
Giovanni Smooth as Silk

Leave-in Condish:
Giovanni Direct Leave-In

Giovanni also has Sulfate free shampoos (Tea Tree Triple Threat, Smooth as Silk,etc.)

Basic Regimen should include: 1) Wash 2) Condition 3) Leave-In Conditioner 4) Sealant - an oil or butter that smooths the hair cuticle & helps seal in moisture (so that it can't escape as fast & will last for a few days before re-moisturizing)

Easy sealants to start out with/find:
-i always get completely 100% natural, cold-pressed oils. these can be found in either the regular or organic grocery store.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Extra Virgin Castor Oil
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil*
Jojoba Oil*
Sunflower Seed Oil*

*= the last three are very light oils, good for more frequent usage.

I Deep Condition (DC) once a week. For me, this follows my shampoo and is before applying my leave-in conditioner. For starters, you can create your own DC by mixing some of your regular rinse out conditioner with some oil. I will use a heavy oil like Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Then cover your hair with a plastic cap & leave on for 30min--2 hours (or sometimes overnight, even!) before rinsing out.

As you continue to learn more, you'll develop your own favorite products...but these are mine Smile good luck!

Kea::curls

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by Illyfro 16th March 2011, 10:47 am

@creolebeaty and kea curls... thank u guys so much.. i needed somebody to break it down like that..
it all makes sense to me.
ohh and maybe its something to mention.. my hair got so messed up due to years of heat damaging.. is there something i can do to repair that,besides wha u guys said..maybe products just focused on that..

so wha i also wanted to know is, do i have to use different products for da different parts of my hair?..da hair on middle/top of my head is so much different than rest of my hair..ina bad way..how to deal with that??

thankss in advance....

Illyfro

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 16th March 2011, 11:57 am

You are welcome as far as heat damage depnding on how bad it is deep conditioning often doing protein and keratin treatments can help and i heard of beer rinses i also have 3 types of hair on my head but i use the same thing on everything , all afro hair needs moisture , protective styling in order for you to retain length so just conecntrate on that for now and the rest will come Smile
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalhair429 16th March 2011, 1:47 pm

Pre-poo - I prepoo my hair with Extra Virgin Coconut Oil prior to my wash. I leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour and sometimes overnight with a plastic cap. I do a 15 minute scalp massage at this time.

Wash - I don't put a lot of styling products on my hair so I use Shampoo ever soo often when my hair feels like it needs it. 1x month (Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle $3.99 16oz. or Carols Daughter Rosemary Mint Purifying shampoo $12 8oz.)

Co-wash (conditioner wash) instead of Shampoo- I do this weekly during the winter and every 2 or 3 days during Spring and Summer which is when I wear more wash n' go's. (Suave professional almond and shea butter $2.64 32oz., Herbal Essence Hello Hydration $3.99 , Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle #3.99 16oz., Aussie Moist $3.49 walmart, Suave Naturals always less than $2)

DT (Deep Treatment) - weekly with heat - Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose $8.99 11oz. Add 2 tbl of Honey and 2 tbl EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)

Leave-in - Shea Moisture Shea butter leave-in $8.99 8oz., Cantu Shea butter leave in $4.99, Beautiful Curls $7.99 at wholefoods

Sealant - Extra virgin olive oil or Extra Virgin coconut oil

I do scalp massages with either of the EVCO or EVOO a couple times a week when I'm just relaxing to stimulate blood flow and encourage growth.
naturalhair429
naturalhair429

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 16th March 2011, 4:38 pm

creolebeauty1 wrote:You are welcome as far as heat damage depnding on how bad it is deep conditioning often doing protein and keratin treatments can help and i heard of beer rinses i also have 3 types of hair on my head but i use the same thing on everything , all afro hair needs moisture , protective styling in order for you to retain length so just conecntrate on that for now and the rest will come Smile

Yup Smile same here...as far as cleaning & moisturizing i treat all of my hair (3 diff textures) the same. The main difference for me comes with styling & detangling. I will spend more time detangling and work more slowly through the sections of my hair that are more tightly coiled. With styling, I know that certain sections of my hair do better with twists & twist-outs than others. I do not have much advice to add about heat damage other than DC and protein treatments. Try to go on youtube and search for "Heat damage natural hair" or something similar & i'm sure u'll find lots. But you should also consider the fact that it can be irreversible. In that case, you can grow it out & cut little by little or cut all the damaged parts at once. The decision is up to you.

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by curlytee 16th March 2011, 7:47 pm

I recommend reading the Curly Girl Method (CG) for starters then choose three products:

(1) conditioner to wash hair

(1) conditioner to condition and moisturize hair

(1) Oil for sealing

the conditioner you use for moisturizing can also be used for a deep treatment with your oil.

gathering information is very time consuming. I think, based on what you wrote, you need something to get you started. The CG method will get you started, allow you to treat you hair well while giving you time to obtain the information you need to arm yourself. I tell everyone interested in listening "this isn't about product, Its about process" MASTER THE PROCESS

Moisturizing + Sealing = Healthy Hair

Good Luck, you came to the right place for help

Last edited by curlytee on 16th March 2011, 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)
curlytee
curlytee

Back to top Go down

Post by Illyfro 17th March 2011, 1:15 pm

ohh man..this is so helpfull..i cant thank u guys enough..

@keacurls..i think its pretty close to irreversible,so i kinda decided tht its best if i cut little by little.. just to be safe anyways..

@curlytee..you're so right! it takes so much time to gather information,sometimes it drives me crazy..but its gettin better slowly..am figuring out wha i need to get started with.. i dont think ive read about the cg method,but ill get to that..

again thank u all

Illyfro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down