How to/should I encourage my mom to transition?

Go down

How to/should I encourage my mom to transition?

Post by sixsparks on 13th March 2011, 1:29 pm

Hi everyone!

My mom is in her mid-fifties and her hair has been thinning a lot lately, and I think it's really getting her down. =( She has an S-curl chemical in her hair (she uses Wave Nouveau products a lot) and her hairline has been receding as well.

I went natural about 3 years ago, and my mom really likes it! We have about the same hair texture--hair that's pretty thin and fragile, so most chemicals (perms, texturisers, etc.) are usually too strong for us. It also usually takes very little heat to straighten our hair as well.

I've been telling her all the things I've been learning about dangerous chemicals in shampoos and other products and letting her know how I've been amending my hair care routine to optimize the health of my hair, however, because she has the chemical in her hair, she can't follow my routine without risking breakage (or at least I don't think so).

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice? I've talked to her about going natural, and she just fears that it won't grow back at her age and she fears how she'll look with natural hair. Has anyone on the forum gone natural after age 50? Is there any way she can make her hair care routine more healthy and prevent breakage while continuing to get the S-curl chemical put in her hair? Are there any routines anyone can suggest?

Thank you in advance for all your help! I know my mom's hair means a lot to her, and I just want to help her come up with something effective! =)

sixsparks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to/should I encourage my mom to transition?

Post by ajsimmons8 on 13th March 2011, 4:00 pm

Hi Six, I made the decision to go natural almost 3 years ago (I'll be 53 in august). Due to relaxers, hair color and stress, my was was severely damaged and was thinning really badly (think excessive shedding). I ended up doing a BC and wearing wigs for about a year, gave up on the wigs (those things are hot in the florida summers sunny ) and moved from wigs to micro braids. Last August, I did another BC only because got tired of spending 8 hours getting my hair braided (the longer my natural hair was, the longer it took to do micro braids). I finally got rid of the braids this past November woot! and it was the best decision I ever made.

When I took out my braids, my hair was about 3 - 4 inches all over, and now, at it's longest section, it is a little below my collar bone.

I would say to continue encouraging your mother, show her YT videos, this forum and other forums to help her. Being in my 50's and having all natural hair that is healthy, strong and an added bonus, is that my once thin spots are now gone.

Based on what you were saying, I would also show your mother, women who are rocking TWA's because with the damage you said she has, she may need to go that route. You can also reach out to some of the ladies on the 35 and older post for additional suggestions:

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/t9185-35-and-older-naturalswhere-are-you-and-what-are-you-wearing

Bottom line, which is good, your mother already knows that her hair is not in a healthy state, now she just needs to see other "older" women rocking natural hair.

HTH and good luck

Last edited by ajsimmons8 on 13th March 2011, 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo on when I went natural)
ajsimmons8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sixsparks on 15th March 2011, 3:29 am

Thank you so much! =)

sixsparks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down