CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning is NOT easy!

+2
ajsimmons8
kJordan!
6 posters

Go down

Transitioning is NOT easy! Empty Transitioning is NOT easy!

Post by kJordan! 12th March 2011, 10:00 pm

hello! i just joined curlynikki! i am very excited becuz i think i can get some reaaaall help now!
well.... my problem is.. i'm beginning to understand the emotional side effects of going natural... ppl just don't seem to be accepting.. even my own mother!
i'm trying not to be discouraged, and i don't want to be becuz i know that in the long run, this will DEFINITELY b worth it! how should i deal with ppl (and my mother) when they look at me like i have 5 heads bcuz my hair's not bone straight, or if my edges aren't stuck to my scalp like everyone else's?!
.. also, i don't even think I'm transitioning correctly! i know that I am impatient, but I think I'm getting past that lol, I just think that I'm not doing something right! it seems that my hair is shedding more now than when I was using relaxer! and even when I think I'm keeping my hair mosturized, i don't think I'm doing it enough! PLEASE HELP!
i would greatly appreciate it!!! Very Happy

Last edited by kJordan! on 12th March 2011, 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong topic name)
kJordan!
kJordan!

Back to top Go down

Transitioning is NOT easy! Empty Re: Transitioning is NOT easy!

Post by ajsimmons8 12th March 2011, 10:49 pm

Hi Jordan, first congratulations on taking the step to becoming natural. This is the place to be for encouragement, support, tips and suggestions. I transitioned, but wore micro braids for about 2 years so I did not get a lot of comments, good, bad, or indifferent. I can tell you that my husband, when I took my braids out, was not that supportive, lots of crazy sideways looks and not too nice comments Suspect I basically ignored his comments, and told him that I was doing this for the health of my hair and that it is a journey and to be patient as I learn my hair.

With the shedding, my recommendation would be to deep condition, deep condition, deep condition. Also, try to avoid heat and products that can be drying to your hair. Also read through the forums and post on here for others suggestions - the ladies here are wonderful.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by purplec18 13th March 2011, 1:14 am

Hi kj congratz on your transitioning to natural. I've "transitioned" many times but there is no right or wrong way to transition basically if you weren't treating your hair good all it is is that now is the time your hair needs it the most. Like aj said your hair needs to be deep conditioned weekly and then the shedding will stop. Try to keep your hair in protecting styles. My staple protective style which is easy and fast is to put it in one and bun it sometimes i add a hump to the middle. If your hair is too short to do that you could put it back in one or try doing box braids and pin it up...
About the comments from your mother pretty much ignore what she has to say, I know it cant be hard but right now I'm transitioning again and my mother has a whirl of comments but you have to realize that what your doing isnt for your mother your doing it for you...so just make a joke about it without being rude or just not say anything and be like ok thanks for your opinion...lol...they have a post here or you can search google how to repsond to people when commenting about your transition but i dont think they will be suitable to respond to your mother
Good luck on your transition...
purplec18
purplec18

Back to top Go down

Post by nialah 13th March 2011, 3:23 pm

breakage is inevitable. natural&relaxed hair do not get along. i am at 8 months now&the very front of my hair (around my hairline) is all natural because of breakage -____- but you do have to deep condition, do no/low manipulation hairstyles (two-strand twist, twist outs, braid out,etc.), moisturize. maybe you should try co-washing or pre-pooing before you shampoo.
nialah
nialah

Back to top Go down

Post by tashacu02 14th March 2011, 11:39 am

Much of my family was not accepting of me transitioning as well in the beginning, but you have to encourage yourself and join sites like curlynikki to help support you. The only person I was concerned about my husband and he supports me 100% so I just told everyone else what I was doing and if they don't like it, oh well. Now, that my mother has seen how healthy my hair is growing, she is even considering letting go of the creamy crack...lol!

Also, breakage is very common because the hair is so fragile. I have hennaed my hair a couple times and I have noticed a decrease in the amount of shedding and I love the color it gives me. The staple styles for me are braid outs, twist outs, and flexi rod sets. These styles work great for me and I can do them myself. Just be sure to keep your hair moisturized and if all else fails, just get braids or something to help you through your transition. Good luck!
tashacu02
tashacu02

Back to top Go down

Post by swt_sunny 14th March 2011, 1:25 pm

congrats on deciding to transition! i am transitioning myself right now - almost 15 months so far - and one of things that has helped me the most has been trimming my hair regularly! i know some people want to wait until they reach their transition goal to even touch their ends, but getting rid of the relaxed hair bit by bit has been a big help. i never too crazy about getting a cut, but my hair seems to behave more as the relaxed ends get cut off.

swt_sunny

Back to top Go down

Post by kJordan! 17th March 2011, 2:47 pm

thank you very much! i have been trimming my ends, i am not sure if it's working completely, but i am trying!
i will look up more products that i can use! thanks again!
kJordan!
kJordan!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down