Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by MsArabia on 8th March 2011, 12:55 pm

Hi Ladies! I'm just curious to know what you ladies view as being natural. I personally think that natural hair is hair without chemical processes such as relaxers, perms, texturizers, etc. so my personal definition of natural includes ladies that use heat on their hair even if on a regular basis. What about you???


Last edited by MsArabia on 8th March 2011, 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Word correction.)
avatar
MsArabia

Posts : 27
Join date : 2011-02-08
Age : 29
Location : Athens, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by laleepop14 on 8th March 2011, 12:59 pm

MsArabia wrote:Hi Ladies! I'm just curious to know what you ladies view as being natural. I personally think that natural hair is hair without chemical processes such as relaxers, perms, texturizers, etc. so my personal definition of natural includes ladies that use heat on their hair even if on a regular basis. What about you???

I agree!! In my opinion "being natural" means that you dont use any chemicals on your hair and I also consider ladies that use heat, but no chemicals also natural. Just my two cents on it. Now its different if you saying you are living a natural lifestyle because that goes deeper into a person's lives, what they eat, etc.
avatar
laleepop14

Posts : 415
Join date : 2009-11-19
Age : 33
Location : New Jersey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by yldthng on 8th March 2011, 1:07 pm

To me, if you put any chemical in your hair that alters it's texture on a permanent basis, then you're not a true natural.

Heat is not included - it's not a chemical, and it's not permanent (although the damage can be).
avatar
yldthng

Posts : 201
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 52
Location : Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by CarlaAR on 8th March 2011, 2:25 pm

I think its the use of chemicals including relaxers, texturizers, BKT, etc that alter the texture of the hair.

For me, I will include the use of hair bleach because for me, it kills my curl pattern. I also include heat damaged hair.
avatar
CarlaAR

Posts : 429
Join date : 2010-11-01
Age : 38
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by naturally yours on 8th March 2011, 2:45 pm

to me naturals means your natural texture is not permanetly altered by chemicals( relaxers, texturizers,etc...) i dont count heat or dying ones hair.

naturally yours

Posts : 85
Join date : 2010-07-26
Age : 30
Location : england

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by Cupcake415 on 8th March 2011, 3:47 pm

"MY" Definition of being natural (as far as hair) means:

No use of:
Chemicals: Relaxers, Texturizers (Because it straightens your hair, taking away your natural Curl/Wave pattern)

Hair Dye: The use of hair dye is making your hair of a color which is NOT naturally yours.

Now, some people may say "Well you are using shampoo, conditioner, products"... Whatever! Blah blah blah. Shampoos, conditioners, products are used to cleanse & moisturize your hair, it does NOT take your hair out of it's natural state!

So yes... That is "MY" definition of Natural... Tee hee Very Happy
avatar
Cupcake415

Posts : 142
Join date : 2010-10-05
Location : Long Beach, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by yldthng on 8th March 2011, 4:12 pm

Cupcake415 wrote:

Hair Dye: The use of hair dye is making your hair of a color which is NOT naturally yours.

I've never dyed my hair, but I see your point.
avatar
yldthng

Posts : 201
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 52
Location : Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by TyRose1984 on 8th March 2011, 6:00 pm

For me natural means with out perm or chemicals. I'm a dye junkie(it seems to help with when you get bored with locs) but I suspect that will change once my locs are all the way out. I didn't think of it as making someone not natural, but Cupcake415 is right... that color is not naturally yours!
avatar
TyRose1984

Posts : 2
Join date : 2011-02-25
Age : 32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by naturally yours on 8th March 2011, 6:45 pm

Cupcake415 wrote:"MY" Definition of being natural (as far as hair) means:

No use of:
Chemicals: Relaxers, Texturizers (Because it straightens your hair, taking away your natural Curl/Wave pattern)

Hair Dye: The use of hair dye is making your hair of a color which is NOT naturally yours.

Now, some people may say "Well you are using shampoo, conditioner, products"... Whatever! Blah blah blah. Shampoos, conditioners, products are used to cleanse & moisturize your hair, it does NOT take your hair out of it's natural state!

So yes... That is "MY" definition of Natural... Tee hee Very Happy
to me natural refers to texture only.color doesnt change your texture. your texture would be in its natural state if you color.

naturally yours

Posts : 85
Join date : 2010-07-26
Age : 30
Location : england

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by QuirkyCurly on 8th March 2011, 7:07 pm

Simply put, for me it means no chemicals that alter your natural hair texture. I understand the point of color and how its not naturally yours, but for most people it doesn't change their natural texture so I'm going with no chemicals and thats my final answer Smile
avatar
QuirkyCurly

Posts : 189
Join date : 2010-05-08
Location : Michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by Just Ashley on 8th March 2011, 7:21 pm

Natural just means the texture of your hair has not been altered with chemicals.
avatar
Just Ashley

Posts : 47
Join date : 2011-01-04
Age : 28
Location : Tuscaloosa

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/ashleyforachange/

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by Cupcake415 on 8th March 2011, 8:33 pm

I'm NOT trying to offend anyone...

That is why I put "MY" definition of what it means...

I love color, but if the definition gets technical, it is in fact a chemical!

Now I wish I never put that because it seems like that became the focus for a few people Neutral
avatar
Cupcake415

Posts : 142
Join date : 2010-10-05
Location : Long Beach, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by Duchess52 on 8th March 2011, 11:51 pm

To me being natural means just that....
apart from shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioner...
no chemicals, no heat and no dye.
avatar
Duchess52

Posts : 144
Join date : 2011-01-03
Age : 64
Location : Curacao

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) on 9th March 2011, 1:21 am

To me natural means no chemical treatments that will alter ones hair texture. I still consider women who use color to be natural, although for me personally I have decided that in my natural journey I won't include the use of color because I want absolutely NO harsh chemicals in my hair ever again. But to each her own. I don't knock anyone for doing it.
avatar
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)

Posts : 227
Join date : 2010-06-14
Age : 30
Location : Dallas,TX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by Cupcake415 on 9th March 2011, 2:32 am

Duchess52 wrote:To me being natural means just that....
apart from shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioner...
no chemicals, no heat and no dye.

Glad I am NOT alone, lol study
avatar
Cupcake415

Posts : 142
Join date : 2010-10-05
Location : Long Beach, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by naturally yours on 9th March 2011, 9:01 am

what about henna? for those that think if a natural colors their hair then they are not natural anymore. henna is natural and its not a harsh chemical? or does that just apply to hair dyes?

naturally yours

Posts : 85
Join date : 2010-07-26
Age : 30
Location : england

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by naturally yours on 9th March 2011, 9:26 am

Cupcake415 wrote:I'm NOT trying to offend anyone...

That is why I put "MY" definition of what it means...

I love color, but if the definition gets technical, it is in fact a chemical!

Now I wish I never put that because it seems like that became the focus for a few people Neutral
i replyed to your definition on color. im not taking it seriously an niether should anyone eles. my bad if i offend you. i thought this was a discussion Very Happy i hope it didnt come off as an attack.

naturally yours

Posts : 85
Join date : 2010-07-26
Age : 30
Location : england

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by creolebeauty1 on 9th March 2011, 11:22 am

To me natural hair means hair and it's natural state without any chemical to alter it's texture , and so on, heat is not a chemical but can be damaging to one's texture i guess if your hair is severely heat damaged i wouldn't call it natural either
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by BekkaPoo on 9th March 2011, 11:56 am

To me it's just not chemically altering your curl pattern. Color, manipulation, styling (with or without heat), etc. are just that but don't make you any less "natural" IMO.
avatar
BekkaPoo

Posts : 204
Join date : 2010-03-16
Location : FL

View user profile http://suprnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by PaganWifey on 9th March 2011, 12:38 pm

yldthng wrote:To me, if you put any chemical in your hair that alters it's texture on a permanent basis, then you're not a true natural.

Heat is not included - it's not a chemical, and it's not permanent (although the damage can be).

This
avatar
PaganWifey

Posts : 471
Join date : 2010-01-31
Location : Jacksonville FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by Cupcake415 on 9th March 2011, 2:35 pm

naturally yours wrote:
Cupcake415 wrote:I'm NOT trying to offend anyone...

That is why I put "MY" definition of what it means...

I love color, but if the definition gets technical, it is in fact a chemical!

Now I wish I never put that because it seems like that became the focus for a few people Neutral
i replyed to your definition on color. im not taking it seriously an niether should anyone eles. my bad if i offend you. i thought this was a discussion Very Happy i hope it didnt come off as an attack.

Oh NO! NOT u. No worries... "U" didn't offend me Very Happy

Yesterday when I posted this, it just seemed that once I said "DYE", that almost became the focus.
This was suppose to be "OUR OWN" definition, and it just seemed like once I mention "DYE", it's like it had to be known: e.g: "Well I dont think dye is considered" or "DYE does NOT change your texture" or "I don't see anything wrong with dye, it doesn't change the texture"...

This was posted as "What is YOUR definition of Natural"... I was just simply stating what "I" personally thought... I also said "If you want to get technical, the dye is a chemical because it IS covering your NATURAL color"...

BUT no, I didn't feel that you were attacking me at all... Thank You! sunny
avatar
Cupcake415

Posts : 142
Join date : 2010-10-05
Location : Long Beach, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by CarlaAR on 9th March 2011, 3:12 pm

Ha ha! That's why I bolded and underlined the word "my" in relation to bleaching the hair.
avatar
CarlaAR

Posts : 429
Join date : 2010-11-01
Age : 38
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by Cupcake415 on 9th March 2011, 3:30 pm

CarlaAR wrote:Ha ha! That's why I bolded and underlined the word "my" in relation to bleaching the hair.

Exactly... Lol Smile
avatar
Cupcake415

Posts : 142
Join date : 2010-10-05
Location : Long Beach, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by MsArabia on 9th March 2011, 5:05 pm

I never really thought about hair color before this discussion but I definitely see where you are coming from Cupcake.
avatar
MsArabia

Posts : 27
Join date : 2011-02-08
Age : 29
Location : Athens, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by elitebeauty13 on 10th March 2011, 2:29 am

To me being natural means free from all chemical processes (relaxers, texturizers, color, etc.) Since I've included color, I guess I have knocked myself out of the natural category... confused scratch Embarassed Oh well, I still love my hair.

Backs out slowly...lol
avatar
elitebeauty13

Posts : 41
Join date : 2011-01-30
Age : 32
Location : Greensboro, NC

View user profile http://elitebeauty13.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Weigh in! What's your definition of "being natural"???

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum