CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SUPER Dry Hair

+9
tiashaunteé
Moni
Pat
Nappturall
afroness
HoneynBrown
*CurlyNikki*
quake_19
Brown Lady
13 posters

Go down

SUPER Dry Hair Empty SUPER Dry Hair

Post by Brown Lady 30th October 2009, 3:07 pm

Hola,
My hair has become extremely dry since the weather began to change. I have tried more DTs, henna, you name it. Does anyone have the cure?

Kindly,

Brown Lady

Brown Lady

http://realnaturalhigh.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

SUPER Dry Hair Empty Re: SUPER Dry Hair

Post by quake_19 30th October 2009, 3:36 pm

This week I tried a yogurt conditioner and it worked for me. I mixed full fat yogurt, honey, and coconut oil together and put it on my hair. I bagged my hair and let it set for an hour, then rinsed. My hair is so incredibly soft and supple. Try it out and see how you like it.
quake_19
quake_19

http://public.fotki.com/curlycrecia/

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 30th October 2009, 4:08 pm

what products are you using?
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HoneynBrown 5th November 2009, 4:00 pm

and also are u using a moisturizer?

Sometimes u have to deep condish and use a daily moisturizer.

HoneynBrown

http://www.myspace.com/goldengoddess

Back to top Go down

Post by afroness 6th November 2009, 2:13 am

Try going without glycerine, I mix Aloe vera gel with olive oil and 1 table spoon of crisco for my winter hair, this works wonders for my hair and I live in Idaho wher there is no humidity. Plus deep condish more often in the winter, and always do a hot oil treatment b4 you wash. hth [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Edited to add: my hair hates all thing shea [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] so I use crisco instead and my hair always look shiney.
afroness
afroness

Back to top Go down

Post by Nappturall 7th November 2009, 10:10 am

DO a Deep treatment with Coconut Milk only! You will see a big differnce. Or Aubrey Oragince HoneySuckle Rose or Jesssi Curl Weekly Deep Treatment..any of those will combat drynes for real!!

~Nappturll~
Nappturall
Nappturall

http://www.trwcreditgroup.com/angeljones

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat 9th November 2009, 9:50 pm

I also have super dry hair.. I really do not know what to do right now, I have tried a lot of the things said on here.. I deep condition every week, I do henna (now), I cowash only, I moisterize and seal with oil (coconut oil or castor oil) but my hair is still super dry and hard to the touch HELP
Pat
Pat

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 9th November 2009, 10:02 pm

Pat and OP, what is in your moisturizers/leave-ins? Protein? Glycerin? What are your fav lines right now? It might be that what worked in the summer is not heavy enough for you now that the central heat is blowing and the wind is dry and harsh.
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat 10th November 2009, 10:00 am

you are probably right nikki, I live in oh Canada so the wheather is brutal. I use giovanni leave in as a moisterizer after wash and then I seal with coconut oil or castor oil. I sometimes use kinky curly custard with before the sealing (when I do that my hair is less dry than usual but it only last a couple of days).. thanks for the help
Pat
Pat

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 10th November 2009, 10:18 am

Hey Pat Smile

I for one can't use Giovanni as a leave-in...it's WAY to light for me. Try a heavier leave-in for a few weeks under your styler and sealer and see where that gets you. If you love Giovanni and don't want to shelf it, use it, and then another leave-in on top. Experiment, experiment, experiment Smile
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat 10th November 2009, 10:38 am

what leave in do you use.. and what could make a heavier leave in.. if you dont mind me asking.
Pat
Pat

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 10th November 2009, 3:18 pm

I agree with Nikki. I love Giovanni as a leave-in, but I have to add another moisturizer on top of it. I don't mind because I like having a separate moisturizer and leave-in. I like qhemet products or shealoe best as a moisturizer.
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 10th November 2009, 4:14 pm

Definitely experiment!
And be sure to allow time for your hair to adjust to any new trials. One time may not always get it.

I DT once a week with LeKair Cholesterol Plus, I use Suave Tropical Coconut for a leave in, and then I apply coconut oil or shea butter...depending on my mood. Sweet almond oil is also good to use.
Throughout the week I sometimes spritz my hair with a water/peppermint oil mix. So far this has been working for me.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by luvleelox 4th December 2009, 10:16 pm

I am going to try the aloe and olive oil...I have both at home right now and didn't think to mix them! Duh!
luvleelox
luvleelox

http://luvleelox-myfroisfierce.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Patycurls 6th December 2009, 5:40 pm

I have dry hair too and I find that my hair likes oils. I use them in pre-treatments as well as add in conditioners and it makes a big difference in the suppleness of my hair. Here's my favorite pre-treatment before shampooing - mix well together mayonaise, ripe avocado mashed and olive oil (can also add honey and coconut milk if you have these around) (no particularly measurements, but I prefer more avocado than mayo, and small amounts of olive oil and coconut milk because I like the treatment to be a fairly thick consistency). Slap it on your hair in sections like you would a conditioner, put on a plastic shower cap and go about your business at home for a couple of hours. Wash it out with a mild non-sulfate shampoo (Love Trader Joe's castile soap as a shampoo). Amazing. Have yet to find anything as good. If you find that you have extra pre-treatment, put it in the freezer in a zip loc bag or separate into ice cube trays and pop out how much you need to do your next treatment.

Another good pre-treatment is just sleeping overnight with olive oil (or oil of choice) in your hair the night before you will be washing. If you're off the next day, cover your hair with a bandana and go exercise in the a.m to bring your body heat up, come home and wash hair. I do one of these pretreatments (and sometimes both depending on how dry my hair is) before every shampoo. Many have had luck with the no shampoo method but I personally don't do it because my hair feels coated. I do concentrate my cleanser on my scalp and then just kind lightly wash the rest of hair.

A daily conditioner of some kind is a must. If I'm wearing a curly style, I'll spritz water with a little leavein followed by a little jojoba oil (love it because it's very light and multipurpose) If I'm wearing a straight style, I'll rub a few drops of jojoba oil on my hands and rub through my hair concentrating on the ends. I've also started massaging oil into my scalp for about five minutes aiming for every day.

And of course, the old standby of making sure you are well hydrated. Drink filtered water equal to half your body weight in ounces (i.e. a 150 pound woman should be drinking 75 ounces of water per day.). For most people that equals about 8-10 glasses a day.

Next I'll be experimenting with some herbs which I heard are excellent for conditioning and can be infused in oils or water and then added to products. Do some research on fenugreek and hibiscus (sp?) leaves/flower.

I find that when I'm not on top of my haircare game is when my hair gets dry and suffers. Good luck!

Patycurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Reshon30 7th December 2009, 9:55 pm

There is a product that i just LOVE, it is Oyin Handmade's "Whipped Pudding"! It makes your hair so soft and defines your curls so much. I use Castor Oil and it makes my hair feel like a cotton ball (lol). My hair use to be very dry, but i found out with help from a friend on Youtube that my hair hates Proteins! For the person who uses henna, i had a prob with it drying my hair too until i started adding olive oil to my mixture. I also mixed it with Orange juice (lemon juice was so harsh on it!). After that, it was awesome!
Reshon30
Reshon30

https://www.youtube.com/reshon30

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyamazon 12th December 2009, 1:03 pm

When my hair was feeling crispity and crunchity I experimented with taking things out of my routine to fuire out the culprit. As it turns out, my hair HATES almost all things unnatural. Angelica (that my hair) does like Sauve Humectress, though. Go figure. Plus, since going natural, protien is no good for me. It just builds up and make my hari hard. I have fine hair, but I use shea butter, castor oil, I co-wash, and use Blended Beauty Curly Styling Butter or Styling Lotion. Go heavier than you think you should for a while and put the miosturizers on damp, not dry and not drippy, hair. This way,you won't be tempted to wiped the product away when the hair is dripping (and the product won't drip away either). Plus, things sink in better on damp hair.
curlyamazon
curlyamazon

Back to top Go down

Post by Reshon30 12th December 2009, 2:19 pm

Those are great tips curlyamazon! My hair hates proteins too! I love castor oil also and it works so great in my damp hair for my twistouts. Are you using the Jamaican Black castor oil or the regular? I have been using the regular because i didn't know where to find the JBCO. I love all natural and organic things too. I like Oyin Handmade a lot! Your hair looks amazing in your avatar! Is that a wash and go? How long have you been natural? Well, it is beautiful ~
Reshon30
Reshon30

https://www.youtube.com/reshon30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down