CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Support and Advice

+2
LoveZaporiah
djohnson_143
6 posters

Go down

Need Support and Advice Empty Need Support and Advice

Post by djohnson_143 7th March 2011, 11:46 am

SO friday I had an appointment to get micro braids done. I was getting them done by someone that has done my hair before when I was younger. About 2years ago, when I first bc'd I went to her and she said that my hair was too short to braid. So fast forward to this past friday. I blew out my hair so that it would be easier for her to comb through. (My hair is only 8.5 inches at its longest and 5 at its shortest.) I walk in her house and the first thing she says to me is " O NO!!! What am I supposed to do with all that hair?" She ended up telling me that my hair was too long to have micros put in. She suggested bigger box braids w/ synthetic hair. Her client that she was finishing up suggested I just go get sister locs. Now, I happen to love locs, but I want to keep my hair loose for now.

So now I'm kinda at a point where I feel like even though I've been natural for 2years, I'm still lost on how to take care of it. The hardest part for me is detangling my hair. I have the Tangle Teezer but it breaks off my hair. I also have color on the ends of my hair that I love the way it looks. But I'm sure that the color is a little drying on my already dry 4b/c hair. I just wanted to come on here and vent and see if anyone could give me some advice. It was a little discouraging to have the lady at the beauty supply store look at me and say " I just don't think anyone wants to do all that hair." But atleast she gave me my full refund on the hair I bought for the braids.

djohnson_143

Back to top Go down

Need Support and Advice Empty Re: Need Support and Advice

Post by LoveZaporiah 7th March 2011, 12:06 pm

hey. your hair isn't too long to put into braids. your braider is just lazy and doesnt want to do it. i think you should do some research and find someone who is willing to do your hair correctly without complaining. it might cost you a bit more but at least you will have what you want and have it done in a good environment rather then a hostile one.
LoveZaporiah
LoveZaporiah

http://lovezaporiah.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by djohnson_143 7th March 2011, 12:14 pm

LoveZaporiah: Yeah, I'm thinking I will just have to keep looking hard for someone else. THe BSS that I bought the hair from sent me to another stylist. She said she would do them but I'd have to do it over a period of 2days. And she said that the micros probably wouldn't be my best bet. She agreed that I should have bigger braids that are braided all the way to the end instead of some of the fake hair being left out like they are w/ micros. But those bigger box braids make me look like I'm 12 in my opinion. lol

Last edited by djohnson_143 on 7th March 2011, 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelled wrong)

djohnson_143

Back to top Go down

Post by Prinsis 7th March 2011, 2:56 pm

Do you know how to attach extension hair? If so, I would say do it yourself. I am by NO means a braider but I watched a video on YT on how to put in Nubian twists and I put them in myself. People actually thought it was my hair (that's how natural the hair for Nubian twists look). I can't think of the name of the person I watched on YT but if you just type in how to put in nubian twists, she will pop up. I think it took me about 6 hours (broken up) to put them in and the hair cost about $25. I personally will never go to a braid shop again, they put them in too tight and jack up your edges.

Prinsis

Back to top Go down

Post by djohnson_143 7th March 2011, 3:17 pm

Prinsis: Thanks for the advice! The nubian twists look really cute. I've never added hair myself. But I will try and see how it goes. It's definately cheaper than paying for micro braids.

djohnson_143

Back to top Go down

Post by infamous doll 7th March 2011, 3:41 pm

Honestly micro braids probably wont be your best bet. My friend has your length and after a while you can see the texture difference at the bottom cause her hair is out. Now I do know how to braid but I dont have the patience as I used to. I remember I did this one girl hair and it was not what I expected to see. I never knew she had sooooo much hair. If I knew I would not have told her that specific price *side eye* for tricking me lol. But as stated above try gaining some knowledge on how to's on youtube and try half wigs or weaves (sewn in). As of now I braid my hair (with no added hair) for one week and wear my lace front that looks very nice (anything else is uncivilized) and take it down for the next. I alternate! I just started that and my hair seems to be growing faster, yayyyy.
infamous doll
infamous doll

Back to top Go down

Post by djohnson_143 7th March 2011, 5:35 pm

infamous doll: Thanks for the advice! I'm glad your hair is growing and retaining length!

djohnson_143

Back to top Go down

Post by shemara2009 7th March 2011, 5:48 pm

As mentioned by Prinsis, I think you should consider braiding your own hair. I actually braided my own hair for years because I didn't like braiders in my hair. Being from NY, most of braiders in Harlem and Brooklyn have no hair line b/c they braid so tight, so I quickly learned how to braid myself. I also paid someone upwords of $300 to have my hair braided as well..it was just too much after a while. Attaching synthetic/human hair to your hair isn't as hard as you think. Also, be careful of using synthetic hair for an extended period of time, it actually broke my hair off. I then switched to human hair..which was pricey, but I still have all the hair in my closet somewhere! Smile It lasts for a long time if you take care of it. Hope this helps!

shemara2009

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 7th March 2011, 6:09 pm

Prinsis wrote:Do you know how to attach extension hair? If so, I would say do it yourself. I am by NO means a braider but I watched a video on YT on how to put in Nubian twists and I put them in myself. People actually thought it was my hair (that's how natural the hair for Nubian twists look). I can't think of the name of the person I watched on YT but if you just type in how to put in nubian twists, she will pop up. I think it took me about 6 hours (broken up) to put them in and the hair cost about $25. I personally will never go to a braid shop again, they put them in too tight and jack up your edges.

I TOTALLY AGREE. I watched you tube adn just recently tok out my second set of self installed sengalese twsits...It is wayy cheaper and you can do it as tight or loose as you want!!! Yes for less than 20 bucks for me I will never go get my hair braided for 150-200 bucks!!! Check out youtube!!!
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by djohnson_143 7th March 2011, 7:59 pm

Thnx evry1! I've been checking out youtube all day and I'm already feeling confident in doing my hair! Thanks again

djohnson_143

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down