How to master a braid out?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to master a braid out?

Post by QuirkyCurly on 6th March 2011, 8:57 pm

What techniques do you guys use when doing braid-outs? Mine suck! Lol I need help. any suggestions?
QuirkyCurly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to master a braid out?

Post by chynadoll8799 on 6th March 2011, 10:06 pm

i wish i knew. mine suck right now. My roots are thick, and the relaxed hair is thin at the ends. Not too thin if i flat iron everything, but way too thin for a braid out. and I refuse to chop off my hair just to say im natural. Its long term for me.
I probably need a cut......

chynadoll8799

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea on 6th March 2011, 10:21 pm

Well here are a few

dry braid out equals fluffy and less defined whereas wet sets are more defined which means less fluffy and big.

you could try using the silk scarf method to get better definition. There are tons of youtube vids

naturallychelsea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant on 7th March 2011, 12:20 am

I have to do mine twists and braids on soaking wet hair with a leave-in for great definition and shine. I have to keep them in at least two days before I unravel. That is why I do the twist-out and not the braid-out. My braids look shotty and the scalp but I can rock my twists.
DreamMerchant

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils on 7th March 2011, 12:42 am

For braidouts with really good definition I always plait on wet hair. Make sure that your plaits or braids are completely dry before removing or your hair will frizz up. Also rub some oil on the ends of your hair before removing to also prevent frizz.
krazy coils

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, http://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly on 7th March 2011, 6:06 pm

Thanks guys!

I wish I could do the silk scarf method, but I only have two scarfs Sad
QuirkyCurly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by swt_sunny on 7th March 2011, 6:14 pm

I'm still working on my technique, but braiding your hair in the direction you want it to lay has improved my braid outs (and also doing it on wet hair). I have been doing 2 sections on the sides and 2 in the back (crown area & neck). I do 4 braids in each section which seems to be working. Also, for some reason my braid outs seem to look better when i undo them right before they're about to be dry, when the braids have been in overnight & have time to fully dry I don't seem to get the same effect; still experimenting though!

swt_sunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2BMe :) on 7th March 2011, 10:59 pm

On youtube, I see when some people do braid outs they braid their hair and then twist the ends so the ends won't stick out awkwardly.
Free2BMe :)

View user profile http://xoxo-chichi.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 on 8th March 2011, 12:34 pm

I usually plait on damp or dry hair that is wet with whatever product I'm using. If I braid on soaking wet hair it takes days to dry, but the braid-out lasts longer and is more defined. I do prefer the dry braid-out though, I think it looks better. I also roll the ends of the plaits with small perm rods (the blue ones) so the ends aren't looking crazy. Recently I've been using ORS lock and twist gel and my shea butter/coconut oil mix with a little bit of olive oil to braid. I'm rocking a dry braid-out in my avatar.
BajanPrincess82

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 on 8th March 2011, 1:03 pm

Free2BMe Smile wrote:On youtube, I see when some people do braid outs they braid their hair and then twist the ends so the ends won't stick out awkwardly.

I have used this method and it helps a lot. Once I am down to very little hair I twist the ends and sort of finger coil the bottom. My hair is curly so it usually stays with no problem. That might be a great idea. I haven't experimented too much with braids/braid-outs except for when I am doingmy wash routine.( I do that in braids at the end of the process I take the braids down and make them into smaller sections of twists)
laleepop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yldthng on 8th March 2011, 4:18 pm

My kid has really long natural hair - like whoever it is that has their daughter's pic in their siggy.

Her braid outs are pretty awesome, but she does them on wet hair, and she usually only does 5-6 braids. I think all she uses is the Eco-Styler gel and her Cantu leave in.
yldthng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva on 8th March 2011, 5:45 pm

I do braid outs everytime i wash my hair. AFter ive detangled and rinsed out my conditioner I section my hair, i use leave in conditioner, a small amount of shea butter and i comb the product through the section (10-15) sections so that i have 10-15 plaits, I plait underhanded and twist the ends once im done. Twisting the ends, for me, allow the ends to have a more natural curl, and doing 10-15 plaits gives me a wavvy definition.
BrownSkinDiva

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly on 8th March 2011, 6:56 pm

Thanks everyone!

I just did a braid out and I added some gel, but It was hard for me to unravel without making my hair frizzy. How can I unravel without getting so much frizz?
QuirkyCurly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly on 8th March 2011, 6:57 pm

BajanPrincess82 wrote:I usually plait on damp or dry hair that is wet with whatever product I'm using. If I braid on soaking wet hair it takes days to dry, but the braid-out lasts longer and is more defined. I do prefer the dry braid-out though, I think it looks better. I also roll the ends of the plaits with small perm rods (the blue ones) so the ends aren't looking crazy. Recently I've been using ORS lock and twist gel and my shea butter/coconut oil mix with a little bit of olive oil to braid. I'm rocking a dry braid-out in my avatar.

Did you blow-dry first to get that result? I love you avatar pic BTW
QuirkyCurly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 on 9th March 2011, 11:52 am

It was blow-dried at first, then sweated/puffed out a bit, and then re-braided. So, yes, it was originally blow-dried, but I get the same effect doing it on dry hair that has been stretched as well.
BajanPrincess82

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top