CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dulhan Mehandi Henna vs Jamila 2010 Crop

3 posters

Go down

Dulhan Mehandi Henna vs Jamila 2010 Crop Empty Dulhan Mehandi Henna vs Jamila 2010 Crop

Post by naturalhair429 28th February 2011, 2:36 pm

I Henna'd last Saturday 2.19.11 for the very first time with Dulhan Mehandi Henna Powder 2009 crop and I Henna'd again this past Saturday 2.26.11 with Jamila.

Dulhan $1.99 100gms- Had other herbs like Amla, Shikakai, Brahmi and others in the mix along with the Henna. I mixed with Herbal tea and a little ACV because I didn't brew enough tea and ran out before the mix was as smooth as I wanted it to be.

Jamila $6.00 online 100gms- Mixed with Green Tea only

Both times I shampooed my hair before doing the treatment with Carol's daughter Rosemary mint shampoo.
Things I noted:
1. My hair felt soft even after rinsing out the Dulhan. I used the Suave almond/shea butter conditioner to detangle and sealed with EVOO (no leave-in either). I did not DC at all and my hair felt fabulously silky soft.
2. My hair felt dry and cruncy after I initially rinsed the Jamila henna out. I co-washed with Suave almond/shea butter and then DC'd for 1 hour with AO Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. I added for the very first time Cantu Shea butter leave-in and EVOO and my hair is much softer but not as soft as I am use to.
3. My 3c curls pattern are little more loose but the 4a is still in tact no additional loosening since my first Henna treatment with the Dulhan. The Dulhan loosened a little, just enough to make detangling easy and give me less frizz and shrinkage. That was the same with Jamila.
3. My curls are very bouncy which was not the case prior to the Henna.
4. My once gray hairs are now coppery/red
5. My hair is not as shiney as it was with the Dulhan. It's kind of dull in comparison. I noticed it immediately. I did prepoo the night before with Vatika oil prior to shampooing and adding the Dulhan which probably helped there.
6. Major BONUS....I will be mixing with just Green tea from now on. There was almost no smell. My husband complained about it when I used the ACV in it. This time, he never said a word (MIRACULOUS!)

My best guess is that what helped with with the Dulhan is that it has the other herbs already in the powder. I have another box of Jamila but will probably not be buying more I have some Amla powder that I'll mix with it when I use that. It works out because the Dulhan is much cheaper. The sift was very similar with both. They rinsed easily. I filled my kitchen sink with warm water and just leaned over and soaked my hair one side at a time to get it out. This was very effective. I do believe that I am the master at mixing the Henna because I did not get 1 drop on anything in my house, not even my clothes and it rinsed soo well that my towel did not get discolored either!!! Many thanks to all of you Curly Sista's for giving such excellent instructions on what the consistency should be like dance
naturalhair429
naturalhair429

Back to top Go down

Dulhan Mehandi Henna vs Jamila 2010 Crop Empty Re: Dulhan Mehandi Henna vs Jamila 2010 Crop

Post by NeeC1 28th February 2011, 5:45 pm

Hi naturalhair429:
Where did you purchase your Dulhan henna? Can you provide a picture of the product box I'd like to look into it? Thanks!

~NeeC1
NeeC1
NeeC1

Back to top Go down

Dulhan Mehandi Henna vs Jamila 2010 Crop Empty Re: Dulhan Mehandi Henna vs Jamila 2010 Crop

Post by naturalhair429 28th February 2011, 6:01 pm

NeeC1, that is the url to the exact one that I bought. I get it at Mount Everest Grocery store in Baltimore, MD.
naturalhair429
naturalhair429

Back to top Go down

Post by NeeC1 28th February 2011, 6:20 pm

naturalhair429 -
Thanks so much! I'm trying to have my MIL (in NYC) buy henna for me since there's NO WHERE in San Antonio to buy it (from what I can tell). So, giving her a picture is much better than trying to describe it to her! Very Happy Thanks again!

~NeeC1
NeeC1
NeeC1

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalhair429 28th February 2011, 6:24 pm

NeeC1- I hope you are able to get it. It's really good. I have not been able to post pictures. I took pictures with my digital camera and I have them saved on my pc but the size is larger than what is accepted here. Am I doing something wrong?
naturalhair429
naturalhair429

Back to top Go down

Post by NeeC1 28th February 2011, 6:28 pm

naturalhair429 -
Hmmm, maybe you could save them to your computer as a "jpeg"; that may allow them to be moved over here to the forum. I make no promises though.

~NeeC1
NeeC1
NeeC1

Back to top Go down

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 1st March 2011, 3:52 pm

I use Dulhan too and I looove it! The Jamila wasn't bad but I don't think I'll re-purchase. Dulhan is better for me. It goes on smoother, rinses easier, leaves just as much color, leaves my hair SUPER soft even before I DC and it's cheap and local. Oh yea and the dye only takes 3 hrs to release. I'm glad you like it cuz I love this stuff. I mix mine with coconut milk and honey and its sooo moisurizing drunken I love you My hair is slightly loosened but not to where it would be noticable to anyone but me. But like you said just enough to make it a lil easier to manage. My hair was 3c with some 3b now I have a few more 3b areas but thats it. Nothing dramatic. And my hair shed has dramatically decreased. And the strength!...i could go on and on...
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)

Back to top Go down

Post by NeeC1 1st March 2011, 4:16 pm

@CuRlZ:):
Hey! Where do you buy your henna? Do you buy it locally or online? If you buy it locally, where do you get it from? Thanks!

~NeeC1
NeeC1
NeeC1

Back to top Go down

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 1st March 2011, 4:32 pm

I buy it locally from an Indian grocery store. There are lot's of them here in Dallas. The one I go to is called Bombay Bazaar.

Back to top Go down

Post by NeeC1 1st March 2011, 4:57 pm

@CuRlZ:):
Thanks so much! There's NOTHING here in San Antonio as far as I can find. My MIL - who lives in NYC - bought the following henna and amla powder today.

Does this look at all familiar to anyone? Any reviews? Thanks.

~NeeC1

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NeeC1
NeeC1

Back to top Go down

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 1st March 2011, 5:12 pm

Ive never seen the amla in a jar like that. Mine is Hesh brand and it comes in a green box. Just check the ingredients and make sure its 100% amla powder.

As far as the Hesh henna, I have seen that but I don't think I'd use it personally. Some hennas from the store are mixed with metallic salts and things that can really harm your hair. You want to get BAQ 100% henna with no additives. You can read the ingredients and see if it's 100% henna/mehindi and make a decision from there but I don't think I'd use it. I haven't seen it recommended on the forums. These are some store brands that I've seen recommended:

Dulhan
Reshma
Karishma
Rajasthani

Back to top Go down

Post by NeeC1 1st March 2011, 5:18 pm

Right! With my MIL being in NYC and me way down here I'm trying to tell her over the phone what to look for AND I sent her pictures ... God bless her, but this is exactly why I wanted to buy it myself (preferably in person) ... Hmmm ... Looks like we wasted money. But, I'd rather waste the $8 she spent, than jack up my head! Oh well ... I'll continue my quest. Thanks!

~NeeC1
NeeC1
NeeC1

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalhair429 2nd March 2011, 12:26 pm

NeeC1 - Hey Girl!! I just went on Amazon.com in the beauty section and they have the Seasons Dulhan Mehandi henna powder.....the one that I sent you the picture for which I pay $1.99 for 100gms.....they also have it for $1.99. Just type in Dulhan henna powder. Your search is over !! woot!
naturalhair429
naturalhair429

Back to top Go down

Post by NeeC1 2nd March 2011, 12:33 pm

Hey Naturalhair429:
Good looking out. 'Preciate cha!! Talk about frustrating ... I will certainly look into it. Thanks again! Smile

~NeeC1
NeeC1
NeeC1

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalhair429 2nd March 2011, 12:41 pm

NeeC1
You're welcome...I love to research.....I'm an analyst by trade but I swear there's a bit of blood hound in my blood!!! LOL If I come across anything else I'll let you know.
naturalhair429
naturalhair429

Back to top Go down

Post by NeeC1 2nd March 2011, 12:50 pm

naturalhair429:
And I appreciate that blood hound in you! (LOL) Goodness knows I was thinking about just waiting until I get to NYC in June to look for myself. My MIL means well, but ... sometimes you have to do things yourself. Unfortunately, SA is NOTHING like the East Coast when it comes to diversity or people or products. Ultimately, I was going to try my hand at Ayur Natural. Again, I appreciate your investigativness (that's a word!). Very Happy

~NeeC1
NeeC1
NeeC1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down