How long does your two strand twist last in your hair?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How long does your two strand twist last in your hair?

Post by Emartini04 on 26th February 2011, 11:44 am

Hey ladies. I'm back with another question and this one is based on two strand twist.

Ok so after my regime (co wash, dc, apply leave in and oil) I section my hair off and start twisting. I apply the Jane Carter Nourish and Shine in each section that I twist for more shine and hold. The first three days my hair looks so pretty and shiny but when the fourth day comes it looks a mess. My twist are still twisted but the issue is my hair looks dry - especially at the roots. I know it's winter time and your hair becomes really dry but I would think since I'm using EVOO (which is thick) I shouldn't be having this problem.

I was wondering if any of you have this issue and if so what are you doing to prevent it from happening so often? If you're not having this problem what are you doing to your hair to prevent this from ever occurring?

I mean I'm just not understanding. Is it the oil I'm using? I sleep with a satin bonnet so that couldn't be the issue. EVOO is so thick so why am I going through this?

I'm becoming a bit frustrated at this point. I really don't have time to twist my hair every three days. Please give me some feedback. confused

Emartini04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How long does your two strand twist last in your hair?

Post by Nessa101 on 26th February 2011, 12:46 pm

My twist usually last at least a week and I think it's because I do it on dry hair. I apply a little bit of moisturizer and oil and twist on dry hair. It shows the length when it's dry otherwise my twist are like chin length. Also how big are you doing the twist? IF they are too big maybe thats the problem? and while its dry you can still moisturize. I jsut run it on my twist.
HTH!

Nessa101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WavyQ on 26th February 2011, 1:16 pm

My twists usually last over a week...I twist my hair wet with Kimmaytube's leave-in...Sit under the dryer for an hour...Then, untwist the next morning with JC Nourish and Shine on my fingers...HTH!

WavyQ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve on 26th February 2011, 1:56 pm

My hair went through that phase. You are gonna have to use a product with more hold. I had to use my usual product plus some gel. The best gel for my hair was the ORS Twist and Lock gel or the homemade mixture called Ecocustard (search Inspiredcoils on Youtube for the recipe). I also love Koils By Nature eucalyptus gel. These gels work great without your hair being hard and crunchy. I wear my twist a week and then wear a twist out on the weekends. HTH

My Curl Street Journal

My Fotki

My Youtube Channel

Lynnieluve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cagebird on 26th February 2011, 1:58 pm

My twist last for 2 days before it gets very frizzy. Frizzy or not I only redo it once a week. I'm too lazy to do my whole head over more than once a week.

cagebird

View user profile http://www.darkerthanbrown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick on 26th February 2011, 1:59 pm

Nessa101 wrote:My twist usually last at least a week and I think it's because I do it on dry hair. I apply a little bit of moisturizer and oil and twist on dry hair. It shows the length when it's dry otherwise my twist are like chin length. Also how big are you doing the twist? IF they are too big maybe thats the problem? and while its dry you can still moisturize. I jsut run it on my twist.
HTH!

Same here, my twists last for about a week, and done on dry hair. I use a spritz, then a "butter" and an oil. I also braid a little at the roots so that it doesn't get puffy. For upkeep I sleep with a scarf and then spritz daily (or every other day) and run a light oil (coconut) through the twists.

Curly Film Chick

View user profile http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa101 on 26th February 2011, 2:43 pm

Curly Film chick your twist are so big and juicy! Ahh I can't wait until my heat damaged ends grow out!

Nessa101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick on 26th February 2011, 2:49 pm

Nessa101 wrote:Curly Film chick your twist are so big and juicy! Ahh I can't wait until my heat damaged ends grow out!

Thanks! I actually just had my ends trimmed cuz i had some damage. Good luck

Curly Film Chick

View user profile http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa101 on 26th February 2011, 2:53 pm

Thanks Smile

Nessa101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KeetaRay on 26th February 2011, 5:19 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:My hair went through that phase. You are gonna have to use a product with more hold. I had to use my usual product plus some gel. The best gel for my hair was the ORS Twist and Lock gel or the homemade mixture called Ecocustard (search Inspiredcoils on Youtube for the recipe). I also love Koils By Nature eucalyptus gel. These gels work great without your hair being hard and crunchy. I wear my twist a week and then wear a twist out on the weekends. HTH

My experience has been similar to Lynnieluve's. I now wear my twist-outs for about a week to 10 days before having to re-do, and I do them on wet hair and some type of gel-based product (In addition to my leave-in and some shea butter or coconut oil on the ends) while twisting. ic Fantasia Olive Gel works well for me, just a small amount on each twist. ALSO, I've found that deep conditioning my hair (weekly or bi-weekly, I go by how it feels) works wonders and I've experienced a lot less dryness since doing so. Hope that helps!

KeetaRay

View user profile http://keetaray.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel on 26th February 2011, 5:34 pm

i understand about the issue of the fuzzyness at the roots cuz that was a problem i was having. i learned that no matter what my hair will naturally be fuzzy at the roots. that realization helps me not to worry as much about the roots. nonetheless, i have learned to combat some of the dry looking twists by moisturizing with a condish and seal with castor oil or kbb love butter. also, i wrap my hair at night and that kinda diminishes the fuzzyness. also, i have learned that the longer my twists grow out the more my twists and the roots don't seem as fuzzy as when i had shorter hair.

dajewel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 on 26th February 2011, 6:52 pm

Thanks alot ladies. I appreciate your feedback.

I've tried the two strand twist with gel method and it seems like I still have the same exact issue. Do you think maybe EVOO is not thick enough for my hair? Maybe my hair is soaking it right up?

Emartini04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve on 26th February 2011, 7:19 pm

Emartini04 wrote:Thanks alot ladies. I appreciate your feedback.

I've tried the two strand twist with gel method and it seems like I still have the same exact issue. Do you think maybe EVOO is not thick enough for my hair? Maybe my hair is soaking it right up?

Which gel did you use? If you don't think the EVOO is thick enough for you, you should try castor oil.

My Curl Street Journal

My Fotki

My Youtube Channel

Lynnieluve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thetiffany on 26th February 2011, 7:49 pm

and i thought it was only me! i have been going through the same thing, havent found a solution yet though

thetiffany

View user profile http://embracingmycurly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by QueenSheba on 26th February 2011, 10:17 pm

I had the same issue. I had to find a new moisturizer. SheaMoisture works good for my hair. It holds in my moisture I havent tried it on my twist yet.

QueenSheba

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 on 27th February 2011, 6:51 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:
Emartini04 wrote:Thanks alot ladies. I appreciate your feedback.

Which gel did you use? If you don't think the EVOO is thick enough for you, you should try castor oil.

The gel I used to do my two strand twist was the eco styling gel.

I'm going to pick up a bottle of castor oil this week but it seems like it maybe too heavy but I won't know unless I try.

Emartini04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 on 27th February 2011, 6:52 pm

thetiffany wrote:and i thought it was only me! i have been going through the same thing, havent found a solution yet though

Yeah its very annoying. I really don't have time to co wash and re twist every three days.

Emartini04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 on 27th February 2011, 6:59 pm

QueenSheba wrote:I had the same issue. I had to find a new moisturizer. SheaMoisture works good for my hair. It holds in my moisture I havent tried it on my twist yet.

I love the sheamoisture but since the weather is cold in nyc I had to put it on the shelf until the Spring time due to the glycerin thats in the product - dries my hair out during the winter.

Emartini04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by happy2bcurly on 27th February 2011, 8:39 pm

I am so jealous of you ladies that can wear your twistout for days without retwisting. I havve to reapply product and retwist nightly or my hair is a mess the next day.

happy2bcurly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 on 28th February 2011, 2:56 pm

@happy2bcurly

I'm jealous too girl lol

Emartini04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve on 28th February 2011, 3:03 pm

happy2bcurly wrote:I am so jealous of you ladies that can wear your twistout for days without retwisting. I havve to reapply product and retwist nightly or my hair is a mess the next day.

The longer your hair gets, the longer the twist outs will last. I can get mine to last 2-3 days before I will have to re-moisturize and twist. I use the modified pineapple method. Since my hair isn't long enough to put all my hair on top of my head, I just put it in 4 pony tails and but on my bonnet. In the morning, I just take it down and fluff.

My Curl Street Journal

My Fotki

My Youtube Channel

Lynnieluve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 on 1st March 2011, 9:33 am

@ Lynnielove - so maybe that's what I'm not doing - re moisturizing my hair. Are you spraying with water then moisturizing or taking your twist out one by one to refreshen? I use to just take my twist out one by one but that got annoying also.

Emartini04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MsRosieVelt on 1st March 2011, 6:27 pm

I'm lucky if I can get one good week out of my twists. My hair frizzes so fast. I've done twists on wet and dry hair and still have to remove them after the first week. I used the Jamacian Lock & Twist once but still it wasn't the best. Maybe we'll find what works for us soon. I'm going to try a few things mentioned here.

MsRosieVelt

View user profile http://www.msrosievelt.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls on 1st March 2011, 8:43 pm

My twists last 1 week. I do a combination of what dajewel and lynnie said. For me, the key is twisting on wet/damp hair (post-DC and using leave-ins & sealants) in addition to using gel (I use Ecostyler Olive Oil, which is one of the strongest holds by Ecostyler). On day 3 when my twists look fuzzy, I re-moisturize before bed:

1. mix some conditioner (regular or leave-in) with some water, oils and aloe vera juice in a spray bottle. The aloe vera juice is optional, but really works for me.

2. group twists in about 6 sections (or however many you like) and spray mixture onto each section until it is damp,but not dripping. Apply a light oil to seal the ends.

3. wrap your twists in a satin scarf for the night & let air dry. To stretch my twists, I also place them in a small ponytail at the base of my neck. For the twists that don't reach into the pony, I will use hair pins to lightly pin them back in the direction of the pony.

P.S. if you wet your twists too much they will still be damp in the morning, but should dry throughout the day...

Now, if only i could figure out something for my twistouts...

Kea::curls

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzy belle jackson on 1st March 2011, 10:26 pm

my hair is not that long. at least i don't think so. i air dry my hair so my hair shrinks a bit. when i stretch it out it reaches my shoulders in the back and my nose/top lip in the front. anyway, i twist my hair. i don't know if what i do when i wash my hair matters but
i wash my hair with shampoo twice( yup i lather, rinse and repeat)
i use motions CPR leave-in conditioner
some shea butter(if i feel like it)
my mother uses aloe vera(straight from the cactus) to twist my hair and cantu shea butter cream. my twists last for 7 days. they still have their nice and shiney look to them for at least 5. by that time i don't care if my twists look dusty, i don't go anywhere on the weekends anyway.

i don't know what this will do for you but my hair doesn't get very dusty after three days.

jazzy belle jackson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top