CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

natural hair is becoming not fun anymore

+5
cagebird
NylaCoils
Mangos&Bananas
meepmeep1101
Skluffy101
9 posters

Go down

natural hair is becoming not fun anymore Empty natural hair is becoming not fun anymore

Post by Skluffy101 26th February 2011, 12:42 pm

Hello I'm a senior in high school and have been natural for six months and my hair is driving me crazy. I have single strand knots EVERYWHERE and I don't understand why. Do I need more protein? More moisture? It's crunch time for me as a senior so maybe I haven't been giving it the love it needs. But my hair is getting so tangly and knotted for no reason that it's stressing me out more than I am already!

Help please!
Skluffy101
Skluffy101

Back to top Go down

natural hair is becoming not fun anymore Empty Re: natural hair is becoming not fun anymore

Post by meepmeep1101 26th February 2011, 1:46 pm

Probably more moisture, but how are you wearing your hair? Are you wearing protective styles or wash&gos?
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

natural hair is becoming not fun anymore Empty Re: natural hair is becoming not fun anymore

Post by Skluffy101 26th February 2011, 2:15 pm

I wear twist outs. My hair is in that awkward stage where it is two short for protective styles without looking funky. Razz. The only protective styles I could do is if I put in some weave, and I do not think I have money for that right now.
Skluffy101
Skluffy101

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 26th February 2011, 2:39 pm

Well, what is your regimen?
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by Mangos&Bananas 26th February 2011, 2:49 pm

It probably just needs more moisture. Try castor oil. Its good with moisture and growth. Also, if your just getting tired or playing with it, have you though about a half wig? I know the word wig scares ppl off lol but their honestly really convenient, I promise. And you can get them for 20 dollars. Check out natural hair half wigs on youtube. Hope that helps.
Mangos&Bananas
Mangos&Bananas

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 26th February 2011, 2:54 pm

the single knots happen because the hair curls back into itself.
When you twist your hair, seal the ends with a shea butter or some type of creamy moisturizing product.
At night, when going to bed, retwist into chunky twists and seal again. Nikki did a post of the whole process a few months ago.

Hope that helps.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cagebird 26th February 2011, 2:56 pm

Single strand knots is a common problem. I am currently suffering from the same issue. I tried the half wig before. It's good when I am in a rush.
cagebird
cagebird

http://www.darkerthanbrown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 26th February 2011, 3:20 pm

im trying to figure why i don't get single strand knots. I have only seen ONE O_O
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimberly 26th February 2011, 3:26 pm

Usually when I get single strand knots I need to trim.

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 26th February 2011, 7:55 pm

Sounds like you need more moisture and its time for a trim.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 26th February 2011, 8:15 pm

Here is the link to the article, that Nikki originally posted about the single strand knots.

Nik's Article
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Somebody 2nd March 2011, 1:56 pm

How are you with hats and scarves? Maybe you can braid/cornrow/twist your hair and keep it covered up for a few days then wear the twist-out for a couple days? Sort of like a compromise.
Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Back to top Go down

Post by Skluffy101 5th March 2011, 12:46 pm

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

I can't wear hats because I go to school and it's against school rules >.<

And yeah my hair probably needs to be moisturize because I trimmed it a few months ago already. But my hair is just so thick that it just soaks up everything. I do twist outs every week and the first two days are ok, but then after that my hair just gets crazy. Sad
Skluffy101
Skluffy101

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 5th March 2011, 10:22 pm

I used to get them all of the time as a new natural. I began using butter mixes (in particular my homemade version) and although tangles still appeared, they were ultra easy to slip apart. The knots ceased!!

Also, maybe you could try dusting your ends... that might help, especially if the knots/tangles are closer to the ends of the strands.
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by Skluffy101 6th March 2011, 9:11 am

I'm also using a homemade butter mix as well. Smile What is yours mixed with? And yeah I can tell that it is easier to pull apart now, and today I will dust my ends again to see if it will work. It's just that my hair seems to not like to hold moisture very well Sad
Skluffy101
Skluffy101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down